Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Dec 24, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #2,521 of 5,780
The directional sound is much better for me in competitive games (CS:GO) I haven't tried the 3d mode yet ingame though!

You're saying the built in hrtf in cs go is better with the mobius in general compared to other headphones, correct? Should try setting csgo to 7.1 full range speakers, setting the Mobius to 7.1(8channel) and turning the Mobius' 3d on. Dont forget to set the room ambience and head measurements in the app though.

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #2,522 of 5,780
You're saying the built in hrtf in cs go is better with the mobius in general compared to other headphones, correct? Should try setting csgo to 7.1 full range speakers, setting the Mobius to 7.1(8channel) and turning the Mobius' 3d on. Dont forget to set the room ambience and head measurements in the app though.
I'll give that a try, Thanks! Sorry for being such a noob lol, I haven't the slightest idea about sound

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #2,523 of 5,780
I'll give that a try, Thanks! Sorry for being such a noob lol, I haven't the slightest idea about sound

Surround sound has never been super user friendly ;] but dont feel bad, i remember playing everquest 20 years ago with the clip plane set at the minimum for days( i hope it was only days) before i found the graphics settings menu. Was a dark lonely dreary existence that suddenly opened up to a vast and bright world

Dec 24, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #2,524 of 5,780
My biggest beef with the Mobius is it doesn’t remember your settings once you turn it back on. The interface is clunky enough as it is, but also having to engage with all those buttons and knobs every time I turn it on, is an unnecessary barrier between me and enjoying my music, movie or game. No idea if that’s a hardware or software issue, but at the very least, any major revision of the Mobius “platform” should include these UX/quality of life enhancements. IMHO.

Otherwise, this is one awesome headset! Sounds great, very comfortable. A bit big for travel, but still worth it for longer sessions, like those flights.
You know what it could be Great? If there was a Switch on the headphone to upload 2 or 3 presets of Options for 'head size' and above all 'room emulation', because is not for me going to pc that i use rarely to just change the options, or if the headphone is condivide by 2 persons, it should be '' on the go'' like i Said, .. And I think me this is not an Audiophile headset, first of all, IN PRIMIS.. The noise floor aka: Hiss, Buzz.. Isn' t acceptable for me in Aux and usb modes, and does someone really have this crap issue like me? This is bulls&€%!! If they Will not adjust my headphone or simply replace I Will be mad, ok Audeze? This isn't acceptable.. And Second, the distortion and headphone damage cause At high volumes to the headphone with amplifier, I really don't get it, i'm not an Expert but why should it happen? Couldn't they add just more Watt resistance to the headphone? Audeze missed an masterpiece of headphone IMO... Altough they're still in time for firmware updates, updated models, or the next model of Møbius :) I hope the best for this revolutionary Gaming Headset.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #2,525 of 5,780
And Second, the distortion and headphone damage cause At high volumes to the headphone with amplifier, I really don't get it, i'm not an Expert but why should it happen? Couldn't they add just more Watt resistance to the headphone?

I think you're asking why can the headphones get so loud, its because movies are mixed at a much lower volume then music. So just be careful. I have a headphone amplifier capable of delivering almost 10watts, you bet your ass im careful not to hit the fking gain button mid stream, but for the eqd virtualized movie stream using the alpha primes i need all that power. Hell even sensitive iems into your phone st max volume could hurt like hell. Disregard if i misunderstood =p

Dec 24, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #2,526 of 5,780
I think you're asking why can the headphones get so loud, its because movies are mixed at a much lower volume then music. So just be careful. I have a headphone amplifier capable of delivering almost 10watts, you bet your ass im careful not to hit the fking gain button mid stream, but for the eqd virtualized movie stream using the alpha primes i need all that power. Hell even sensitive iems into your phone st max volume could hurt like hell. Disregard if i misunderstood =p
No you probably misunderstood, is because often i like very high volumes, that I don't Like these distortioning At high volumes with an amp, that why I think them aren't audiophile headphones..

Dec 25, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #2,527 of 5,780
No you probably misunderstood, is because often i like very high volumes, that I don't Like these distortioning At high volumes with an amp, that why I think them aren't audiophile headphones..

I see, what do you find is distorting, bass, mid range or treble? What material is it distorting on? I listen at high volumes, stuff that digs deep into sub bass and extends high with natural acoustic insturments, and I havent noticed any glaring distortion with the Mobius. Hell even the distorted guitars are clear as can be.

Dec 25, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #2,528 of 5,780
Side note: the EL-8 Titanium sounds like a completely different headphone via 3.5mm; frankly, with its 3.5mm cable it may be the best Audeze headphone I've heard and all frequency ranges sound noticeably better than they do via the EL-8 Cipher cable. (Didn't notice this issue with the Sine.) Reinstated my Tidal membership and enjoying some lossless tunes. Look forward to doing more Mobius comparisons with lossless as I haven't had a chance to really see what it can do with lossless files. Thinking about picking up a LCD-2 Classic but I think there's still a lot of potential left in the EL-8. Haven't purchased an external amp yet since the MacBook Pro's DAC/amp is pretty adequate. P.s. the fit and finish of the EL-8 Titanium is also excellent.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #2,529 of 5,780
Update: Mobius also absolutely kills it with lossless files. The sound is a quite a bit more powerful (also louder) via USB and so far surprisingly I find the Music preset my favorite with lossless files. Hi-res mode, Tidal Hi-Fi, Music preset, wow!

Edit: Default or Flat is still where Mobius shines, but Music works pretty well for bass-heavy music via USB. After going back and forth I do still prefer either the Default or Flat setting as there is still a tight, present bass on both settings. After looking at Rtings' frequency response measurements Flat seems to better replicate the LCD signature, at least that of the LCD-2C.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #2,530 of 5,780
Dec 25, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #2,531 of 5,780
I see, what do you find is distorting, bass, mid range or treble? What material is it distorting on? I listen at high volumes, stuff that digs deep into sub bass and extends high with natural acoustic insturments, and I havent noticed any glaring distortion with the Mobius. Hell even the distorted guitars are clear as can be.
So, I use it mostly on Ps4 and Ps3 via Sony Pha-3 via aux, and optical cable to my 4k xf90 tv, and Before i was listening a lot of distortion on Ps3, i change settings, 2 Channel At 192khz, is probably running At 24 bit 192khz now, i'm now sure, but, I'm not sure that i'm hearing or not distortion, i run them on max room ambiente but i need to measure my head.. I must run them very shouty, then i can tell.. But judging on Rtings distortion measurement it's not the best on distortion handling, but apart from that, i don't know what is doing on distortion via aux to amplifiers, i'm just confuse, hope i'm wrong... (Anyway they sound amazing) I can hear you more, you have a powerful amp, Will you test them At shouting volume for me? Tell me how you run them and tell me if the sound is alterated in some way..

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #2,532 of 5,780
So, I use it mostly on Ps4 and Ps3 via Sony Pha-3 via aux, and optical cable to my 4k xf90 tv, and Before i was listening a lot of distortion on Ps3, i change settings, 2 Channel At 192khz, is probably running At 24 bit 192khz now, i'm now sure, but, I'm not sure that i'm hearing or not distortion, i run them on max room ambiente but i need to measure my head.. I must run them very shouty, then i can tell.. But judging on Rtings distortion measurement it's not the best on distortion handling, but apart from that, i don't know what is doing on distortion via aux to amplifiers.. I can hear you more, you have a powerful amp, Will you test them At shouting volume for me? Tell me how you run them and tell me if the sound is alterated in some way..

Holy crap. Will someone that uses a ps3/4 help him get set up correctly.

Using the Aux port does an analog to digital conversion first. You don't want to overamplify the aux signal going into the Mobius. I dont think you should be using the sony pha3.

Set the playstation to 16bit 48khz or 44khz, you're making the playstation do a 44khz to 192khz conversion, and then running that signal to the Mobius' ADC, which then goes back through the Mobius' DAC and then the onboard amplifier.

Drop your room ambience to 30 to 40

The rtings distortion is a little high in the mid range at 100db but otherwise its very good. But that's not what youre hearing. You're not hearing the drivers distort, you're hearing a distorted signal due to an awful signal chain.

Dec 25, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #2,533 of 5,780
After some more listening to Tidal lossless, Flat is the best preset for listening to lossless music on Mobius. It brings out all the nuances in the mid-range, with a present but pretty non-fatiguing treble and bass that's better defined and impactful.

When switching 3D on Default or Music does seem to work a bit better.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #2,534 of 5,780
Holy crap. Will someone that uses a ps3/4 help him get set up correctly.

Using the Aux port does an analog to digital conversion first. You don't want to overamplify the aux signal going into the Mobius. I dont think you should be using the sony pha3.

Set the playstation to 16bit 48khz or 44khz, you're making the playstation do a 44khz to 192khz conversion, and then running that signal to the Mobius' ADC, which then goes back through the Mobius' DAC and then the onboard amplifier.

Drop your room ambience to 30 to 40

The rtings distortion is a little high in the mid range at 100db but otherwise its very good. But that's not what youre hearing. You're not hearing the drivers distort, you're hearing a distorted signal due to an awful signal chain.
What's the bad thing of choosing 192khz instead of 48khz? I Like a lot more 192khz dynamic gamma.. Why I shouldn't run with the Pha-3? I'll probably replace it with SoundBlaster g6..

Dec 25, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #2,535 of 5,780
What's the bad thing of choosing 192khz instead of 48khz? I Like a lot more 192khz dynamic gamma.. Why I shouldn't run with the Pha-3? I'll probably replace it with SoundBlaster g6..

48khz is the sample rate of the games, 44.1khz is the sample rate of most music. If you set it to 192khz its upsampling the data. Theres no point its just messing up your audio stream. Dynamic gamma isnt a thing. Dynamic range of sound is determined by the bit rate, but the Mobius in 2channel mode only supports 16bit. So set it to 16bit or 24bit.

Oh i see youre going ps>tv>optical to the sony. I dont know the best way to use the Mobius on the ps4, aux on the controller? Idk. So set the sonys volume to half or low or whatever and control the volume on the mobius. Basically you want a lower line level signal going inyo the Mobius, if you have the volume high on the sony it distorts the signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back