Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Dec 18, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #2,491 of 5,780
For anyone curious, I’d probably rank the Audeze headphones I’ve heard as:

1) Mobius
2) Sine
3) EL-8 Titanium
4) iSine10 (mainly because I personally hated the fit and didn’t feel I was taking full advantage of its full potential for that reason)

As far as fitment, comfort, and features Mobius wins hands-down. It’s really incredible how planar drivers can now be produced en masse at this price point. I actually think Mobius and Sine may tie for best sound quality (Mobius definitely does a better job bringing out the best of lossy files while Sine is more resolving with lossless files) but Mobius is tuned exceptionally well. It’s really pretty neutral at its Default or Flat settings with no notable peaks or issues. I’ve only heard Sine with the Cipher but I think that’s a bit more lively due to the onboard 3dB bass boost. Excited to see what else Audeze has planned for the future, as somebody who’s interested in the technology I really enjoy the innovative side of Audeze.

I have the LCD2, mobius and sine 20. In terms of play time, it's:

1. Mobius (can't beat the convenience of LDAC bt on my galaxy s8)
2. LCD2 (ultimate in my collection but also requires my amp to heat up)
3. Sine 20 (sound wise, really good with lots of eq but causes great physical pain in less than 30 mins due to fitment. Audeze sent out the now defunct earlocks, so hoping they will fare better on my ears once i receive them)

Whenever i get house cleaning duties, the mobius is on my bald head.

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #2,492 of 5,780
I have the LCD2, mobius and sine 20. In terms of play time, it's:

1. Mobius (can't beat the convenience of LDAC bt on my galaxy s8)
2. LCD2 (ultimate in my collection but also requires my amp to heat up)
3. Sine 20 (sound wise, really good with lots of eq but causes great physical pain in less than 30 mins due to fitment. Audeze sent out the now defunct earlocks, so hoping they will fare better on my ears once i receive them)

Whenever i get house cleaning duties, the mobius is on my bald head.
earlocks?? how to get pls?

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #2,493 of 5,780
earlocks?? how to get pls?

I communicated to audeze via email. Give it a try.

I really want to like these "headphones", but other than sticking T600 comply tips and not using hooks at all, they are unusable

Dec 19, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #2,495 of 5,780
I'm on my Christmas break from work, which means a trip to the UK (not my favourite thing to do)
I've got a modest Dell laptop with me and a bunch of TV shows and movies to keep me entertained. Had a bit of difficulty getting the Mobius to receive a surround signal so ended up installing Plex server and OpenPHT onto the same machine and it's working flawlessly (VLC, I was unsure, also tried MPC and also wasn't sure)

For watching stuff with 5.1 audio, the Mobius is making a HUGE difference. This isn't a great laptop, the screen is relatively small and it's not a great quality display. But with the surround on the Mobius I'm pretty much transported! Utterly delighted with the quality of sound and enjoyment I'm getting.

I've also used them wirelessly a little from my LGV30 and of course, they sound excellent. In fact, the Mobius have become pretty much my default headphones for listening to audio from my phone (at home as well, though it only really happens when nature calls!)

And I just had a voice chat with my wife, with the Mobius plugged into the phone via USB C - WOW. Seriously, wow. Sound quality was AMAZING and 3D too!!!

I LOVE these cans, they have really exceeded expectations and I'm getting more use out of them than I thought I would. Quality of sound reproduction is just fantastic, they are quite addictive. Considering they now have to fight for my attention with the InEar Prophile 8, they're standing up incredibly well.

Money well spent!

Dec 19, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #2,496 of 5,780
Is there an ETA on the new firmware and new Audeze HQ application to install it yet? I know there are beta firmware versions out there but I would like to stay on the "official" release. This has been asked several times recently but no response from Audeze.

I'm also curious if there is at least an estimated ETA. Is it days away, or weeks?

We are close but it is not complete yet. We are trying to get it ready before CES.

Dec 19, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #2,497 of 5,780
I think they’ve said Flat still uses DSP. There’s no way to get a raw response from the drivers.

I'm sure they definitely said that flat was there if you wanted to handle the EQ'ing yourself on more than one occasion which to me implied flat was the natural response of the drivers. Perhaps they decided to shape the tone after all with flat instead to a degree since. But they repeatedly had said this leading up to release. (Now on their website it says it makes the Mobius sound more like the drivers natural FR.)

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #2,498 of 5,780
I do not like the bottom end of the Harman curve personnaly, as it causes a group delay shift I find unmusical. The research is great, with a result on "what people prefer on average". However I postulate that people have become educated to expect a bass shelf filter, and find when it isn't present that it is "bass light". I heard here on headfi that the oppo PM3 are bass light, which is ridiculous. If this continues eventually producers will be forced to lower the bass to compensate. From what you are presenting it may already be the case, which would be very sad. Particularly as we seem to be pulling back from some of the extreams of the loudness war.

I think people separate listening tests, and listening to music.

I've been playing with a rooted android phone and some linear phase EQ. I can get a little extra bass and subtle shaping on the mids and highs to dial in the 3d to sound quite a bit more like the default preset with 3d off, with 3d on without getting much in the way of distortion or ugly phase issues. I'm very pleased with it so far. I hear you on the Harmon curve. It's certainly subjective. For me, the flat setting works on a lot of material but gets a little edgy on some material. I notice peaks in the the highs. And I prefer the slightly warmer bottom of the default preset. The Music preset doesn't do it for me.

On a side note: LDAC is good, but i hear a definite improvement using USB instead. I get hiccups with the highest LDAC settings and have to use the middle setting. USB sounds better on my device. I would have to try some other devices to make sure it's not something going on with my specific unit though, to be more scientific about it.

These are really good. :)

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #2,499 of 5,780
So it's been about four months with these Mobius headphones. Just dropped in to tell Audeze congrats again. You see some obscured company called Creative Labs Inc. just decided to get in with the 3D style sound market with this little flash drive sized dongle: https://sxfi.com/

And...I got it in last night. And first impressions are...somewhere between "that's cool" to "that just sounds awful". Since this is impressions here's a quick lowdown:

- X-Fi varies greatly depending on headphones. With the 3D on, Focal Clear sounds like a muddy hot mess while Audeze's iSine 20 opens up like clouds clearing from a fresh summer storm.
- X-Fi's 3D sounds...meh...on Audeze Mobius (with Mobius' 3D off***). Mobius' 3D is simply cleaner and less bloated. X-Fi puts you far out on the top of the theater while the Mobius buys you a front seat ticket.
- X-Fi's 3D off makes the Mobius sound very good but can be slightly harsh. Audeze's LDAC makes the sound smoother.

I haven't compared games or movies yet. This is a first impressions after all. But honestly, the Super X-Fly is gonna have to utterly blow my mind (maybe literally) in order to catch up to Audeze at this point. I still appreciate what Creative is trying to do (I still use the G5x and the E5 for my work office) it's quite a letdown. And if you're thinking $150 is best spent on the newly released Creative G6 USB DAC, BACK AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER OR PHONE NOW! Save it up for a Mobius. So...congrats again Audeze.

*** You don't want to know what it sounds like to have BOTH 3D effects on at the same time. If you're curious though, think a bit like....Jerry Goldsmith's "echoplex chamber".

Dec 20, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #2,500 of 5,780
So it's been about four months with these Mobius headphones. Just dropped in to tell Audeze congrats again. You see some obscured company called Creative Labs Inc. just decided to get in with the 3D style sound market with this little flash drive sized dongle: https://sxfi.com/

And...I got it in last night. And first impressions are...somewhere between "that's cool" to "that just sounds awful". Since this is impressions here's a quick lowdown:

- X-Fi varies greatly depending on headphones. With the 3D on, Focal Clear sounds like a muddy hot mess while Audeze's iSine 20 opens up like clouds clearing from a fresh summer storm.
- X-Fi's 3D sounds...meh...on Audeze Mobius (with Mobius' 3D off***). Mobius' 3D is simply cleaner and less bloated. X-Fi puts you far out on the top of the theater while the Mobius buys you a front seat ticket.
- X-Fi's 3D off makes the Mobius sound very good but can be slightly harsh. Audeze's LDAC makes the sound smoother.

I haven't compared games or movies yet. This is a first impressions after all. But honestly, the Super X-Fly is gonna have to utterly blow my mind (maybe literally) in order to catch up to Audeze at this point. I still appreciate what Creative is trying to do (I still use the G5x and the E5 for my work office) it's quite a letdown. And if you're thinking $150 is best spent on the newly released Creative G6 USB DAC, BACK AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER OR PHONE NOW! Save it up for a Mobius. So...congrats again Audeze.

*** You don't want to know what it sounds like to have BOTH 3D effects on at the same time. If you're curious though, think a bit like....Jerry Goldsmith's "echoplex chamber".
I owned the BlasterX G6 for Ps4.. Damn, i really liked it! It sounded like a super dynamic range of 384khz, try for yourself the crystalizer At 100/100 with Mobius and tell me! And, can you help me? I got today the Mobius, (apart them are detective, there Is a lot of noise floor buzzing) i Wanna buy again g6, do you raccomend to amplify it with a soundblasterx sound card? The amplifier of Mobius is now power full enough for me, i don't know if with dac/amps it will ruin the Mobius.. What a limbo :s

Dec 20, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #2,501 of 5,780
I owned the BlasterX G6 for Ps4.. Damn, i really liked it! It sounded like a super dynamic range of 384khz, try for yourself the crystalizer At 100/100 with Mobius and tell me! And, can you help me? I got today the Mobius, (apart them are detective, there Is a lot of noise floor buzzing) i Wanna buy again g6, do you raccomend to amplify it with a soundblasterx sound card? The amplifier of Mobius is now power full enough for me, i don't know if with dac/amps it will ruin the Mobius.. What a limbo :s
The Mobius is loud and the amp is powerful. Even among people who can consistently clearly detect and are bothered by the slight noise floor in the Mobius don't usually say they think that it's very loud. You may have gotten a defective unit. Have you tried it in multiple modes and across different devices?

Dec 20, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #2,502 of 5,780
The Mobius is loud and the amp is powerful. Even among people who can consistently clearly detect and are bothered by the slight noise floor in the Mobius don't usually say they think that it's very loud. You may have gotten a defective unit. Have you tried it in multiple modes and across different devices?
Well the noise floor isn't very loud like 70db.. But is the loud enough to Brother and ruin the sound quality.. Yep, I tried on sony Pha-3 on aux 3.5mm amp via optical, USB to PS4 (and unfortunately in this way wasn't loud enogh) , Ps4 via controller usb (again, not loud enough and even quieter) Ps3 via Pha-3, directly to sony XF90 TV aux, and on Sony XZ Premium Bluetooth Ldac (This sound loud enough, nice) does topping Mx3 reviewed by Zeos Pantera work with bluetooth LDAC on TV and consoles?

Dec 21, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #2,503 of 5,780
I tried using my Mobius on my PS4 last night and the sound was very quiet connected to the controller via 3.5mm.

I don't have the option to connect the Mobius to the ps4 directly via usb and the ps4 is too far from where I sit.

Is there a better way to go about this? How do I enable the Mobius to play in stereo mode?

Dec 21, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #2,504 of 5,780
I tried using my Mobius on my PS4 last night and the sound was very quiet connected to the controller via 3.5mm.

I don't have the option to connect the Mobius to the ps4 directly via usb and the ps4 is too far from where I sit.

Is there a better way to go about this? How do I enable the Mobius to play in stereo mode?
you can go into the settings menu on the ps4 and increase the volume output for the controller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back