Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Nov 12, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #2,206 of 5,780
Hi, I have a technical doubt. I have seen that the Mobius appears as a 48 kHz device in 7.1 and 2 channel, and a 96 kHz device in HiRes. These settings cannot be changed, neither in Mac or in Windows, while my other DACs can be set at any sample rate I want.

This means that, unless a firmware fixes it, or there is a shortcut to change it, if you want to hear 44.1 khz, 88.2 khz, etc., your computer needs to perform a non-integer sample rate change. This is far from ideal -although it seems more benign from 88.2 to 96 kHz than in the low-res case.

Is there a solution for this? Will the next firmware support the 44.1 kHz family of sample rates? While I have a lot of HiRes, 95% of the files are standard 16/44.1 flac/alac ! Alas, all movies are in the supported 48 kHz family.

Yeah I found that out too. Can't use bit perfect audio streaming with only 48kHz and 96kHz since most of my stuff is not those two things. It's also causing big problems with USB Audio Player Pro since it causes a horrible noise to be output.

Nov 12, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #2,207 of 5,780
This may account for the dullness of the sound of 44.1 in my experience...
Yeah I found that out too. Can't use bit perfect audio streaming with only 48kHz and 96kHz since most of my stuff is not those two things. It's also causing big problems with USB Audio Player Pro since it causes a horrible noise to be output.

This may also account for the dullness of the sound of 44.1 in my system, and the brilliance of true 96 kHz

Nov 12, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #2,208 of 5,780
Haven't heard anything about profiles, that's a good idea though.
This is in the road map for the Audeze App (and some more)

The Mobius sends the head tracking data back to the pc so its up to the software developer to incorporate it.

As far as being up to developers to implement, I think their driver needs to have it first, because I don't see it as an axis in Device Manager. It would need to be output an X/Y axis then no developer needs to do anything other than support more than 1 joystick, which everyone does these days. It would just be a thing you could check in "Devices and Printers" section of WIndows (for example)
There are other ways and it is on our roadmap
This means that, unless a firmware fixes it, or there is a shortcut to change it, if you want to hear 44.1 khz, 88.2 khz, etc., your computer needs to perform a non-integer sample rate change. This is far from ideal -although it seems more benign from 88.2 to 96 kHz than in the low-res case.
The internal processing currently is done at 48k or 96k. Though we won't rule out the possibility of making 44.1k rate available, the impact of non integer rate conversion needs to be considered in the right context.
What we have found is the impact of EQ presets and VSS is far more profound that the effect of non integer sample rate conversion (in a way all of these are DSP operations) so native vs resampled signals was almost the same as a coin toss in listening tests and the beifit of keeping the system simple outweighed the risk of complicating the architecture even more.

Nov 12, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #2,210 of 5,780
One of the games I bought specifically for the Mobius was Subnautica

I've been hearing for over a year how it has great sound design. Low and behold I start playing the game and I dunno there was something about the sound... It sounded kinda FLAT. Like everything was coming from my front , there wasn't a clear cut directionally to the sound.

Voila, the game is STEREO only. There's no official surround support.

I think that's a testament to how my ears are used to the Mobius surround solution. I could immediately tell something was off lol

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #2,211 of 5,780
I have never had asny issues with 44khz files or otherwise. I leave it at Hi-Res for all my stereo content, and only switch to 7.1 for video games. Never had ANY sound quality issues on the Mobius. Whatever upsampling is being done is incredibly pristine.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #2,212 of 5,780
One of the games I bought specifically for the Mobius was Subnautica

I've been hearing for over a year how it has great sound design. Low and behold I start playing the game and I dunno there was something about the sound... It sounded kinda FLAT. Like everything was coming from my front , there wasn't a clear cut directionally to the sound.

Voila, the game is STEREO only. There's no official surround support.

I think that's a testament to how my ears are used to the Mobius surround solution. I could immediately tell something was off lol

Just curious, what do you have room ambience set to? In that situation a higher value might unflatten it a bit ;]

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #2,213 of 5,780
I have never had asny issues with 44khz files or otherwise. I leave it at Hi-Res for all my stereo content, and only switch to 7.1 for video games. Never had ANY sound quality issues on the Mobius. Whatever upsampling is being done is incredibly pristine.

Agreed, I use them daily over bluetooth ldac 3d on which would be 2ch mode 16bit/48khz. With 16/44 music I set the phone to 16/44 and let the mobius handle it. Sounds great.

Nov 13, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #2,215 of 5,780
LDAC 3d?? i thought if LDAC enabled it would be automatically treated as hi-res, ie mutually exclusive with 3d.

Screenshot_20181113-004523_Settings.jpg

Nov 13, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #2,216 of 5,780
This may account for the dullness of the sound of 44.1 in my experience...

This may also account for the dullness of the sound of 44.1 in my system, and the brilliance of true 96 kHz
No, it's the DSP getting confused when switching between HiRes and Normal on the Mobius.
You get a weird EQ (several dBs off) until you change the EQ preset at least once.
If you have done that both resolutions almost sound the same.

Nov 13, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #2,218 of 5,780
Nov 13, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #2,219 of 5,780
What games do these excel in?

Really anything with good sound is going to sound awesome on these. One thing to keep in mind though, when these are in 7.1CH mode make sure the game is set to speakers or surround, not headphones (if it has options). For instance BF5 has Surround Speakers, Headphone, and 3D Headphone as options. While 3D Headphone sounds like it should be the right choice as you are wearing a pair of 3D Headphones, selecting that will output 2CH with a simulated surround HRTF added and negate the 7.1 in the Mobius.

Nov 13, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #2,220 of 5,780
Hiya, been outta commission with both ears having an inner ear infection. Now that everything is healed and my hearing is normal. Mobius is still amazing; I just wanted to put in here for those in the U.S. folks that wanted a 'confirmed and tested' extension cable. Based on KaiSc recommend, I searched for usb extension cables that might work for Mobius, selected two and spent some money. So far, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052EXWOK/ (30 ft) has performed great for the listed price. I'm still giving it a good test over time. But I wanted to ask KaiSc is there anything I'm missing or should be aware of while using this? No static, no distortion so far, no real issues over the last day. It should be noted my machine does not have noisy USB connections, and I've not had connection issues beyond the typical poorly made USB-C cables you can find out there in the world (not to spec connectors)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back