Me: Hmmm, so?
Wife: What you want for your birthday
Me: Oh nothing
Wife: Ask what you want
Me: Okie, Audeze Mobius headphones
Wife: Another headphone??
Me: Yeah :darthsmile:

And this is what I got from her today
Wow. She seems awesome. Send us your address and we will send her a Mobius as well.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 11, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #2,194 of 5,780
As they used to say “What a Gal” what a cake! What an Audeze!

Nov 11, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #2,195 of 5,780
Couple of questions. First its been discussed a small bit here but are there any USB noise filter that actually eh, work? I have a hifimediy ground loop isolator that gets rid of the measurable hum on my odac but the Mobius is incomparable (it also doesn't work with a loaner jitterbug). The Mobius like the odac seems somewhat picky about usb port quality. Second did anyone else get a faulty USB A to C cable? I have audio cutouts with the supplied one. Fortunately the one that came with my Nintendo Switch works fine!

Nov 11, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #2,196 of 5,780
Couple of questions. First its been discussed a small bit here but are there any USB noise filter that actually eh, work? I have a hifimediy ground loop isolator that gets rid of the measurable hum on my odac but the Mobius is incomparable (it also doesn't work with a loaner jitterbug). The Mobius like the odac seems somewhat picky about usb port quality. Second did anyone else get a faulty USB A to C cable? I have audio cutouts with the supplied one. Fortunately the one that came with my Nintendo Switch works fine!

Theres a few things you can on the USB line to improve performance. Ground loop isolators typically break the 5v line and/or replace it with a different power source. High speed galvanic isolation transformer isolates data ground and 5v, the cheapest you'll find is a $100chifi on ebay, or the intona usb isolator, or the uptone iso regen. Regenerating the usb signal is done with a hub chip, an active cable or usb hub will work, more expensive options include low noise voltage regulators and crystal clocks, like the wyred4sound recovery and uptone iso regen.

Nov 11, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #2,197 of 5,780
Mobius itself does not suffer from ground loop problems as long as you do not connect USB and analog Aux at the same time.
Mobius does produce a hum signal if it is not connected to ground at some place while being charged through a lesser quality power source.
The problem originates from the fact that, as long as there is no ground connection, ungrounded (2 prong connected) switched power supplies produce a static voltage of 50V to 100V AC (relative to ground potential) at line frequency (50 or 60 Hz depending on your country).
Now everything connected is polluted with this relatively high AC voltage.
As the internal drivers of mobile's are single sided, they react on this pulsing voltage like electrostatic headphones.
The very light diaphragma is attracted to other metal parts inside, in the rhythm of this pulsing static voltage.
This does even happen if Mobius is switched off, because it's not something that's amplified inside the headphones electronics!

I completely solved the problem by grounding the USB A (outer shield of the plug) side of the charging cable of my iPhone, where Mobius is connected througt the Apple CCK.

Regarding the supplied USB A to USB C cable, it's not of the highest quality. To make it work reliably with iDevices, I had to use a tiny bit of contact cleaner on the USB A side. If you want to do that, do not spray the contact cleaner into the cable, use a wooden toothpick to apply a tiny bit on the contacts.
The problem I had might even be connected to the fact that the charge current of Mobius is at the edge what the tiny 5W Apple power supply is capable of.
I had no problems when using the bigger 12W iPad power supply.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #2,199 of 5,780
It's been... like 100 pages since I last looked at this thread. Is the new firmware supposed to address the sidetone (option to turn it off) and mic volume issues? I still use the included microphone (for some reason plugging in my modmic 5 into the mic input on the headphones gave some really weird artifact noises) but it definitely is not a pleasant experience compared to using the modmic 5... I'm constantly readjusting the mic position alternating between hearing my breath and my friends telling me they can't hear me.

Nov 12, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #2,200 of 5,780
It's been... like 100 pages since I last looked at this thread. Is the new firmware supposed to address the sidetone (option to turn it off) and mic volume issues? I still use the included microphone (for some reason plugging in my modmic 5 into the mic input on the headphones gave some really weird artifact noises) but it definitely is not a pleasant experience compared to using the modmic 5... I'm constantly readjusting the mic position alternating between hearing my breath and my friends telling me they can't hear me.

The latest firmware doesn't address sidetone because there is nothing to address. They simply want to keep sidetone as is - I was apprehensive about it at first but I don't really notice it much now. No harm I'm sure in adding an option to disable, because you know...everyone has a preference. I don't really see it as any kind of problem though. I don't really mind hearing what I'm saying, it's not nearly as jarring as I was expecting originally.

Yes, the new firmware addresses the mic volume issues. The mic works flawlessly for me with the newest firmware. They already added a fix with the last firmware, the newest one adds even further clarity to the mic.

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #2,201 of 5,780
Do you know if they plan on adding profiles so that different settings (EQ, Head tracking, 3D, channel mode) can be automatically applied based on the profile? Or at the very least, set up the default power on setting? (I dislike the 7.1, 3D Manual) being the default option as it is a lot of clicks to change to 2D, 3D OFF every time I power on.

Also do you know if they plan on allowing the head tracking to be used as an axis? It would be awesome in flight/space/race sims if I could use the headphones instead of spending money on a TrackIR

Nov 12, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #2,202 of 5,780
Do you know if they plan on adding profiles so that different settings (EQ, Head tracking, 3D, channel mode) can be automatically applied based on the profile? Or at the very least, set up the default power on setting? (I dislike the 7.1, 3D Manual) being the default option as it is a lot of clicks to change to 2D, 3D OFF every time I power on.

Also do you know if they plan on allowing the head tracking to be used as an axis? It would be awesome in flight/space/race sims if I could use the headphones instead of spending money on a TrackIR

Haven't heard anything about profiles, that's a good idea though.

The beta firmware makes it so mode, eq, and 3d settings are remembered on power cycle.

The Mobius sends the head tracking data back to the pc so its up to the software developer to incorporate it.

Nov 12, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #2,203 of 5,780

The latest beta firmware remembers the last configuration.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #2,204 of 5,780
Haven't heard anything about profiles, that's a good idea though.

The beta firmware makes it so mode, eq, and 3d settings are remembered on power cycle.

The Mobius sends the head tracking data back to the pc so its up to the software developer to incorporate it.

That's awesome to hear at least about the settings being remembered on power cycle.

As far as being up to developers to implement, I think their driver needs to have it first, because I don't see it as an axis in Device Manager. It would need to be output an X/Y axis then no developer needs to do anything other than support more than 1 joystick, which everyone does these days. It would just be a thing you could check in "Devices and Printers" section of WIndows (for example)

Hopefully Audeze reps are reading these :)

Nov 12, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #2,205 of 5,780
Hi, I have a technical doubt. I have seen that the Mobius appears as a 48 kHz device in 7.1 and 2 channel, and a 96 kHz device in HiRes. These settings cannot be changed, neither in Mac or in Windows, while my other DACs can be set at any sample rate I want.

This means that, unless a firmware fixes it, or there is a shortcut to change it, if you want to hear 44.1 khz, 88.2 khz, etc., your computer needs to perform a non-integer sample rate change. This is far from ideal -although it seems more benign from 88.2 to 96 kHz than in the low-res case.

Is there a solution for this? Will the next firmware support the 44.1 kHz family of sample rates? While I have a lot of HiRes, 95% of the files are standard 16/44.1 flac/alac ! Alas, all movies are in the supported 48 kHz family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back