Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Nov 10, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #2,161 of 5,780
Are they as comfortable as velour?
Surprised they make such a difference from pleather.
Well alcantara has more in common with velour in terms of comfort. It's a fabric. Thing is, they are much more dense and the inner lining in pleather, so it seals about as good as pleather, with similar sound.

I wouldn't say they are as comfortable as the softer velours out there, but they are definitely a step above pleather and leather to my ears.

Problem with full velour is that velour doesn't seal well and if headphones are made for better sealing pads like the Mobius, velour pads will make a negative impact on sound quality.

The 1540 pads clamp a bit much, so it's not all perfect. I'll try stretching it out a bit. I do have some Audeze vegan pads so I'll try those, though they are a bit too spongy. They are super comfy, but affect SQ IIRC. I miss the old LCD2 vegan pads which weren't as soft, but sealed well.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #2,162 of 5,780
@Mad Lust Envy
Would you mind providing the inner hole dimensions in mm? I tried googling but couldn't find the dimensions for the 1540 pads. Thanks

Nov 10, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #2,164 of 5,780
Around

63.5 mm long
44.45mm wide

@Zenvota

May be a smidge shorter, give or take.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #2,165 of 5,780
I've sidelined my Mobius until the firmware is updated to allow 3D without head tracking, and then I'll re-evaluate. If that doesn't come to fruition, I'll likely sell them. I'm just preferring the sound signature of the Sennheiser 58X Jubilee far more in just about every way.

Nov 10, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #2,166 of 5,780
Nov 10, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #2,167 of 5,780
I've sidelined my Mobius until the firmware is updated to allow 3D without head tracking, and then I'll re-evaluate. If that doesn't come to fruition, I'll likely sell them. I'm just preferring the sound signature of the Sennheiser 58X Jubilee far more in just about every way.

I can't even listen to normal headphones at this point - spoiled by Mobius 3D sound.

Normal headphones sound dull. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nov 10, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #2,168 of 5,780
I can't even listen to normal headphones at this point - spoiled by Mobius 3D sound.

Normal headphones sound dull. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And that's what I'm ultimately hoping for once I can listen without head tracking. The tracking f*cks things up bigtime on music. I listen primarily at work when I'm pivoting between multiple monitors. I can't keep my head still while listening, so the head tracking in my case is a HUGE negative. It's too distracting and detracts from the music.

Nov 10, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #2,169 of 5,780
And that's what I'm ultimately hoping for once I can listen without head tracking. The tracking f*cks things up bigtime on music. I listen primarily at work when I'm pivoting between multiple monitors. I can't keep my head still while listening, so the head tracking in my case is a HUGE negative. It's too distracting and detracts from the music.

Try contacting Audeze directly and see if they can help you out with the current firmware - it allows head tracking to be turned off while keeping 3D on.
I personally prefer the head tracking on, but I can see how in your situation it would be good to have the option to turn it off.

Nov 10, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #2,170 of 5,780
So the recent firmware isn't publicly available? I haven't been in contact with Audeze in awhile.

Nov 10, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #2,171 of 5,780
So the recent firmware isn't publicly available? I haven't been in contact with Audeze in awhile.
You are correct. It isn't released to the public yet.

Nov 10, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #2,172 of 5,780
@antdroid If you're in the US, would you be willing to do comparisons with the stock pads vs Shure 1540 pads? I'd send mine out to you. I think it's worth seeing what effects the 1540 pads have. To my ears there is a slight clarity boost in the midrange without sacrificing bass at all. Of course, some objective measurements would be good. PM me if interested. I know the 1540 pads are a bit expensive, hence why I wouldn't mind sending them out.

It may also be worth investigating Dekoni hybrids. I have a pair as well and they fit the Mobius painlessly as well. The only thing is these pads are a bit brighter, so they benefit from the Music preset, and I assume the Warm preset will also be beneficial.

i77rkh.jpg

33cpymp.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #2,173 of 5,780
@antdroid If you're in the US, would you be willing to do comparisons with the stock pads vs Shure 1540 pads? I'd send mine out to you. I think it's worth seeing what effects the 1540 pads have. To my ears there is a slight clarity boost in the midrange without sacrificing bass at all. Of course, some objective measurements would be good. PM me if interested. I know the 1540 pads are a bit expensive, hence why I wouldn't mind sending them out.

It may also be worth investigating Dekoni hybrids. I have a pair as well and they fit the Mobius painlessly as well. The only thing is these pads are a bit brighter, so they benefit from the Music preset, and I assume the Warm preset will also be beneficial.

I actually ended up selling my Mobius to consolidate and spend money to get the Focal Elegia. I may meet up with @Darthpool in the near future, who owns the Mobius or know a couple other friends who have them -- though not sure if anyone will let me tamper with their unit haha. I have brainwavz sheepskin leather pads, dekoni hybrids (though wrong size), and various other ones that may fit the Mobius.

I havent been following this thread - is it hard to pad swap on this headphone?

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #2,174 of 5,780
In a sense yes, because you can wrap pads around the top, but not the bottom. The 1540 pads have enough of a wrap around to grab grip on the bottom, and so do the TH900 Hybrid Dekoni pads. But other pads either have too much material, or not enough.

Nov 10, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #2,175 of 5,780
In a sense yes, because you can wrap pads around the top, but not the bottom. The 1540 pads have enough of a wrap around to grab grip on the bottom, and so do the TH900 Hybrid Dekoni pads. But other pads either have too much material, or not enough.

Are the stock pads glued on like the LCD series? I never actually checked when I owned them. I have the TH900 Dekoni Hybrids. They are my favorite pads! Well, ok second to the Audeze LCD Vegans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back