Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 21, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #1,891 of 5,780
These are my first wireless headphones and i need to get another BT Transmitter as my current kinivo is too weak of a signal for where my computer is at. Curious what transmitters everyone else is pairing these to or if there are any recommendations? Win 10 PC Using these for gaming so lowest latency possible would be great.

I use my Asus Z370-i with win10 that has built-in bluetooth 4.2 with an external wired anntennae that I can extend about a meter (3'). It is powerful enough to go through 2 walls at times.

Even on my Samsung S8, I hardly have cutouts unless it's a slightly farther 2 wall situation.

I was worried about latency before I got them, but thankfully, I do not notice much. For movies, I use GOM player that has separate audio speed control but felt no need to use it. (Then again, in front of my pc, I hardly use bluetooth.)

Finally, for games, i nostly play assassin's creed odyssey and project cars 2... both attached to usb and no latency.

Oct 22, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #1,892 of 5,780
Compared Mobius to every headphone and amp at the Schiitr (Schiit's showroom) yesterday, and there wasn't anything that sounded like it was on another level from Mobius. Ether closed and open, lcd xc, maddog, thx00, hd800, k7xx, and others.

I played the same songs on their players and my phone via LDAC simultaneously and switched back and forth between Mobius and their collection. Not even once did I switch to one of theirs and think they were worth 2-4x the price (not including the amps and DACs).

These things are a frickin steal and I am so happy with them. Great job, @Audeze

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #1,893 of 5,780
How good is it connected to the tv with bluetooth? I got an 2016 lg oled tv.I have tried my sony wh1000 xm3 but they performed rather poor on my tv.The lcd2c works fine (have tried an long optical cable to the mojo).But i would love to have great sound on my tv without any cables.Mobius/bluetooth/lg tv and 3d sound on? :)

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #1,894 of 5,780
How good is it connected to the tv with bluetooth? I got an 2016 lg oled tv.I have tried my sony wh1000 xm3 but they performed rather poor on my tv.The lcd2c works fine (have tried an long optical cable to the mojo).But i would love to have great sound on my tv without any cables.Mobius/bluetooth/lg tv and 3d sound on? :)

I'm using them this way with my 2018 LGOLED TV and they work fine. The 3D is OK, and I use it more on TV than on listening to music. I haven't tested it compared to the AKG K872 playing from the OPPO BPD-105D,which a descent headphone amp.

The only issue is there are some lipsync issues, and I will look into it later. Did you have a fix on your set up?

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #1,899 of 5,780
Is it safe to buy an used pair of these?

Unit is a couple months old tops, so the only reason for seller to part is due to dissatisfaction with the unit, not malfunction. If price is ok, why not? :)

Oct 22, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #1,900 of 5,780
My Impressions:
I'm not sure what to say about these headphones.

Introduction:
I have spent the last three years using the SoundblasterX G5 external soundcard, and it has the best virtual 7.1 surround sound I've ever heard. I have hated all iterations of "virtual surround" from previous products. I hated the Tritton (two models, forget the models), Mad Catz, Siberia, Razer and many Soundblaster fake surround options I have come across. The most "acceptable" audio was from my Sennheiser PC363D and its attachable USB dongle. However, that dongle pooped out and stopped working after a year of medium-level use. Sennheiser wouldn't replace the dongle unless the entire headphone set was sent back. So, I sent it all back, and got another replacement headphone AND dongle. With that said, the dongle stopped working again, which made me choose the G5 back in 2015.
If there was any other contender for quality surround sound headphones, I would mention the Logitech G930... but it pales in comparison to the SBX G5 (or the PC363D with dongle).

What's great about the G5 is that it has high output. You can switch on more gain, and it powers even the MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs, and the HD650, and any 300 ohm dynamic headphones. Far and away my favorite headphones with the G5 is the HD650. However, more sound stage and separation works with the AKG K701/Q702, but less bass and slightly harsh highs. With the Alpha Dogs, it has more precise clarity with mids to highs, but I think they're a little too bright for my tastes while playing games.

I mention all of this because I wonder if other people who have reviewed the Mobius have experienced the luxury of non-gamer headphones with an outstanding performer like the SoundblasterX G5. It's a wonderful match, and it's great to be able to use audiophile headphones with gaming.
The Sennheiser PC363D are the best headphones I've heard that were designed/intended for gaming. They even work great just as headphones for music listening. The Sennheiser PC363D is no longer available, and have been replaced by PC373D, as well as the "GSP" series. I have no clue if they're good or not.

So, switch to the Mobius and my feelings are:
1. They're great when compared to other gaming headphones
When it comes to headphones that are made for the video game playing market, these are the best (or second best after) I've ever used. It is well worth the $400 price tag. With that, you're going to get excellent binaural surround, and an impactful, well rounded headphone that will present an immersive gaming experience.

2. Head tracking is neat, but pointless
Even thought it's nice to have the sound remain in place when you move your head, I realize now just how infrequently I move my head while gaming. So this gimmick doesn't mean much to me. Sure, it's "cool", but it didn't impress me as much as I was expecting.

3. Shoddy construction is an enthusiasm sapper
They fit rather tightly across the head. The pads are not as pleasant over my ears as other (any I've tried, at least) headphones that cost $400.
The squeaky plastic parts and unpleasantly tight fit, combined with average pads makes me compare the sturdiness and quality that comes from, say, the ATH-M50x. Or like, any other run-of-the-mill $50-$100 headphones.
I know a lot of the cost is due to R&D, and there is a lot to like about the Mobius outside of "just playing games". So, I'll let the squeaky squishiness slide. Sort of.

4. Excellent gaming headphones for gamers that only used gaming headphones to game
I have been spoiled by high end cans for gaming, in conjunction with the G5. If someone hasn't experienced this before, then they are going to be more appreciative of what the Mobius has to offer.

I won't say they are "bad" headphones at all. For me, one of the big drawbacks is that I can't use the audio settings for other headphones. This sucks, because the audio processing combined with better headphones would blow me away.
Outside of the Sennheiser PC363D, there is no comparison to the Mobius for gaming.

However, if you have good headphones, I still think the SoundblasterX G5 along with headphones of your choice is just as good - well, better than - what you would get from the Mobius. With that said, I paid about $200 for the PC363D, and the Mobius has unique audio options/design, AND Bluetooth (with LDAP!!), AND planar drivers, AND its Audeze, for $400. Put that into perspective, and I can't say they are bad by any means.

Conclusion:
My wind in the sails of my enthusiasm for the Mobius has been dwindled due to my being so spoiled by using non-gamer open back headphones for years. The gains/benefits of the Mobius don't apply to me as easily as it will to others.
I absolutely recommend them, because as stated before, they are a wonderful multi-functional headphone that provides a lot at its given price point.

For music listening, they are good. Even "very good", but I have so many headphones now that it would just kind of fall into the middle of the pack. However, the Bluetooth option might be helpful for when I go on vacation. If I decide the headphones would be worth carrying (I usually have an Astell&Kern AK120 with Campfire Audio Andromeda on vacation), maybe I will use them. Probably not, though haha

But I still find myself preferring to use the Senny HD58X I have now with the G5 instead of my new, shiny Mobius.
*sigh*

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #1,901 of 5,780
preferring to use the Senny HD58X I have now with the G5

Would love if you could mention why the G5 or your other headphones are better...e.g. better imaging, bass, 3D, etc....
Ditto what you said about comfort though..I wish the earcups we're bigger.... My old Sennheiser HD590 are way more comfortable with the velour pads...less clamping force and no squished ears. But less bass.

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #1,902 of 5,780
I feel like I'm about to cry, and properly sick to my stomach, I'm not sure what even happened.

I used these earlier today during a drive, they were working perfectly. I just sat down to play some Witcher 3 tonight, after half an hour or so of playing I went to adjust how they were sitting, only to hear an odd rustling sound in the right ear cup.

I pulled both pads off to examine the internal parts, only to find the left diaphragm is fine, but the right diaphragm is deformed.
I don't know what could have happened, I haven't had them at a loud volume for days, generally they're set quiet enough that I'd be able to hear of someone wants to talk to me, and why only in one cup too, it makes no sense!

I have no idea what to do about this. I'm very careful about how I use these, and meticulous about always placing them back in their case when I'm not using them.

Can anyone tell me anything about why this happened?

IMG_20181022_233350.jpg IMG_20181022_233422.jpg IMG_20181022_233344.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #1,903 of 5,780
kenyee said:
Would love if you could mention why the G5 or your other headphones are better...e.g. better imaging, bass, 3D, etc....
Ditto what you said about comfort though..I wish the earcups we're bigger.... My old Sennheiser HD590 are way more comfortable with the velour pads...less clamping force and no squished ears. But less bass.

I find the G5 to have the most "immersive" separation/virtual surround sound compared to the scores of other options I have tried. It kind of surprised me at first, since I usually listen to any virtual 5.1/7.1 headphone effect for several hours just to get acquainted with them, and then toss them aside. I don't mind stereo that much for gaming, but I do like having a little bit more clarity in where things/people are located behind me. I usually play Battlefield games (these days Battlefield 1), and this doesn't apply to many other games. In fact, I prefer sticking with stereo for non-FPS games. I even turn it off when playing Counter-Strike.
When I use the Sennheiser HD650 with the G5, it just seems to come together nicely. The AKGs have better separation, and the mids are great, but there is not much bass to rumble .50 cal gunshots, or tank blasts. The highs are pretty good, but perhaps not the best match for FPS games. I like those headphones more for jazz, and acoustic-centric instruments.
I find that the decay is a lot more preferable with my Alpha Dogs, and it still has good "presence", but I think that the treble can be too harsh and fatiguing when plugged into the G5, especially with small caliber gun cracks.
The Senny HD 650s are not as snappy or quick as the AKGs, but the rumble is juuust right. For some odd reason, everything just seems to "click" with my preferences when playing games on the G5/HD650 combination.
I now have a hand-made XLR cable for the HD 650s, so I purchased the HD 58X Jubilee as a replacement to the HD 650s for gaming. I no longer have to switch out cables between gaming, and plugging into my music listening equipment. I will say this: That "veil" people talk about with the HD 650s doesn't bother me, but I do "get" it. The mid-high range seems to kind of feel a bit recessed with most gear, and they can be "fun" headphones with the right kind of music (Daft Punk with the Bottlehead Crack is FUN!), but when I want more clarity and precision, these aren't gonna do it. However, when using the Schiit Yggy balanced into the V281, with balanced cables, that veil is certainly lifted and the sound stage expands considerably. They turned them into very different headphones, something that I never experienced after over 7 years of owning them. But that's some of the fun of new gear, isn't it? Rediscovering the audio magic, right?
Thus, I now have the 58X. They don't "slam" like the 650, but they are good enough for my gaming excursions. They remind me a little more of 598s in tonal character, and they are more "timid" than the 650. They are great cans for the price, though, no doubt about it.

The Mobius are actually quite nice. Very nice headphones, and if I didn't have a comparison to my "old" setup, I would be praising them as if a pizza pie came down from the moon and hit my eye! In a way, though, I consider directly comparing higher-end audiophile-styled headphones against GAMING headphones (by design) to be unfair. When setting Mobius in direct competition to any other gaming headphones I have owned (and boy have I had a lot of them in the last 25 years), the only ones that I would put on the same playing field would be the Sennheiser HD363. However, that doesn't come with wireless, Bluetooth, proprietary head tracking binaural audio, planars, and the Audeze moniker. There is a significant price difference, but when comparing the two side by side, the head tracking and sheer convenience of wireless gaming while also rocking as regular headphones makes them my #1 choice; if you have a history of only using headphones made for gaming.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #1,904 of 5,780
I feel like I'm about to cry, and properly sick to my stomach, I'm not sure what even happened.

I used these earlier today during a drive, they were working perfectly. I just sat down to play some Witcher 3 tonight, after half an hour or so of playing I went to adjust how they were sitting, only to hear an odd rustling sound in the right ear cup.

I pulled both pads off to examine the internal parts, only to find the left diaphragm is fine, but the right diaphragm is deformed.
I don't know what could have happened, I haven't had them at a loud volume for days, generally they're set quiet enough that if be able to hear of someone wants to talk to me, and why only in one cup too, it makes no sense!

I have no idea what to do about this. I'm very careful about how I use these, and meticulous about always placing them back in their case when I'm not using them.

Can anyone tell me anything about why this happened?

Oh god. I'm really sorry for you.. is there any chance you've pushed them onto your head to quickly/strongly? The airflow could crinkle the driver?

It's a shame, really, I was so happy with them but now, after seeing this post, I'm too paranoid too keep them.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #1,905 of 5,780
So i got an used (well actually new.just tested by owner) mobius on hand.Hmmmm,what to do.I have an sony wh1000 xm3 that i have to sell to get the mobius.I like the sonys.But i also have beyerdynamic xelento that i can use instead when i need isolation (comply tips).And the sound is better then the sonys.The sonys also have some vacuum/pressure that can be a little annoying.I guess i have to decide today,so the mobius dont get sold to some other dude.

Ps:anyone compared the sound of mobius to xm3's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back