Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 6, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #1,486 of 5,780
I personally prefer the Default to the Warm preset. I spent a bit more time with the Warm preset today, and after switching back to default I miss the treble energy and clarity. The Warm setting is nice if you like a real laid back sound or find the treble too bright, sometimes I'm in the mood for that as well. If you are listening on a PC though I still prefer to simply bump the bass levels up a bit with a system wide EQ and keep it on the default setting.

No, that sounds up my alley. A proper treble veil (still detailed) and clean mids are the hallmarks of a great colored sound. When I crank the volume the treble is definitely too bright for that purpose.

Oct 6, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #1,487 of 5,780
No, that sounds up my alley. A proper treble veil (still detailed) and clean mids are the hallmarks of a great colored sound. When I crank the volume the treble is definitely too bright for that purpose.

Honestly, I usually prefer a warm signature myself, the HD650 is one of my favorite headphones. I'm not huge on bright treble, but to me the Default setting on the Mobius just sounds better. It's a more balanced sound, it's a more refined signature. The warm setting is fine as well, you don't lose a lot...but it just sounds "cheaper" to me (for lack of a better word). Less hifi, more Beats and less Sennheiser, that sort of thing. Not saying it doesn't sound better then Beats :p. I don't find the Default setting to be lacking anything really, just a little bit of thud in the sub bass. A small bump on equalizer APO works for that. I'm sure many people will enjoy the Warm preset though.

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #1,488 of 5,780
@Audeze How is this possible? Mine has a strong hiss which is almost never covered when listening to music at my comfort volume.
There is NO high pitched hiss (like cassette tape noise without Dolby) on mine, even without music. There is a very low pitched something just at the edge of audibility if the room I'm in is very quiet and no music is playing.

The only thing here, depending on the power supply the player is connected to, there is some induced hum when cable connected.
Interestingly this does not go completely away when I switch off Mobiu .
The very likely reason is, as the driver is single sided it acts like electrostatic headphones, kind of.
It reacts to absolute electric potential changes, I've seen the same behavior on single sided electrostatic drivers.
I confirmed all the above by letting another person listen to it too.

Can you describe the pitch of the hiss you hear, and at what numerical volume setting do you listening to which music track?

EDIT: I can make the hum disappear if any part of the used system is earthed/grounded.
This is usually not the case with smartphones/pads with their 2-prong ( USB- ) power supplies.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #1,489 of 5,780
@Audeze

I finally received my tracking number 12 hours ago from Fedex and not SFC (shipping from CA and not China, as i was told by support@audeze several times).

Does this mean my unit will have the mic firmware updated?

Will all units shipped from CA have different QC measures from that of China that ensures my unit will have minimal hiss?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #1,490 of 5,780
Atm hiss is at a minimum. Can still hear but no major radio like static. It's still there but even in both channels Afraid to turn off then on again. Certain it will come back to full strength if I cycle power. Starting to think it may be an internal mixer/Bt glitch or out of spec component/cold solder. Almost 3 weeks of trying to track down the logistics of this. Infinite combos tried. Yay fun :frowning2:

edit: Music sounds great. Knick ST and R.E.M. AFTP are a dream. No annoying hiss or static. Can listen at low volume without static intrusion.This is what they are supposed to sound like. Never turning them off..

edit:Fun while it lasted, its back. Usb/BT/ Cable/No cable

@Audeze @KMann

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #1,491 of 5,780
Just got done with playing KILLING FLOOR 2 (caps needed) for like 2 hours.

If anyone is looking for a good, horror themed game to try out the mobius I think its a solid recommendation.

It has some of the best gun effects and explosion effects in any game I've ever seen plus tons of gory particle effects, the game is just so much fun to play (even though repetitive) because of this.

With the mobius on warm it highlights the explosions nicely and also makes me creeped out from the screams of all the zombie monster things lol, each one has their own sound effect so If you have played the game enough you can get an idea of whats close to you just by sound! . Still won't make you win the match but it definitely enhances the experience.

Oct 6, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #1,492 of 5,780
Been playing Doom 3 & LA Noire. Both have good surround for its age. Apart from La Noire when you start at the police station, the sound of the footsteps are kind of too powerful. Doom 3 has really good imaging i could tell where all the demons where coming from.

Oct 6, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #1,493 of 5,780
There is NO high pitched hiss (like cassette tape noise without Dolby) on mine, even without music. There is a very low pitched something just at the edge of audibility if the room I'm in is very quiet and no music is playing.

The only thing here, depending on the power supply the player is connected to, there is some induced hum when cable connected.
Interestingly this does not go completely away when I switch off Mobiu .
The very likely reason is, as the driver is single sided it acts like electrostatic headphones, kind of.
It reacts to absolute electric potential changes, I've seen the same behavior on single sided electrostatic drivers.
I confirmed all the above by letting another person listen to it too.

Can you describe the pitch of the hiss you hear, and at what numerical volume setting do you listening to which music track?

EDIT: I can make the hum disappear if any part of the used system is earthed/grounded.
This is usually not the case with smartphones/pads with their 2-prong ( USB- ) power supplies.

Hi, Karlsruhe, that makes a Mobius meet possible, to find out if two Mobiuses are identical. I live close to Krefeld.
So, I guess the hiss is hard to describe. The closest I have is the sound you get when you use a turntable and you set the volume of your amplifier very high, like 50 %, and you hear this hiss.
I will try to record it. I have a professional mike.
The hiss is completely independent from any soure. Even if I just power the Mobius on the his is just too much!
I am a low level listener. So for example with the USB3 camera adapter on an iPad pro I would listen to it with 3 to 4 bars from 16 available bars.

Oct 6, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #1,494 of 5,780
Honestly, I usually prefer a warm signature myself, the HD650 is one of my favorite headphones. I'm not huge on bright treble, but to me the Default setting on the Mobius just sounds better. It's a more balanced sound, it's a more refined signature. The warm setting is fine as well, you don't lose a lot...but it just sounds "cheaper" to me (for lack of a better word). Less hifi, more Beats and less Sennheiser, that sort of thing. Not saying it doesn't sound better then Beats :p. I don't find the Default setting to be lacking anything really, just a little bit of thud in the sub bass. A small bump on equalizer APO works for that. I'm sure many people will enjoy the Warm preset though.

Further to this, I've been listening to the "Warm" setting even more today, and the bass actually is a bit "muddy" or boomy sounding with some songs over LDAC (96/24). I 100% think the "Default" setting sounds better. I'm still sure some people are going to like the Warm setting so it's nice that Audeze added it, the more options the better. It's more usable with Movies and gaming if you don't have access to your own EQ, but for music I can't really recommend it personally.

Oct 6, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #1,495 of 5,780
Hi, Karlsruhe, that makes a Mobius meet possible, to find out if two Mobiuses are identical. I live close to Krefeld.
So, I guess the hiss is hard to describe. The closest I have is the sound you get when you use a turntable and you set the volume of your amplifier very high, like 50 %, and you hear this hiss.
The hiss is completely independent from any soure. Even if I just power the Mobius on the his is just too much!
I am a low level listener. So for example with the USB3 camera adapter on an iPad pro I would listen to it with 3 to 4 bars from 16 available bars.
You're always welcome, PM me when you want to make it happen someway.
Your discription means it sounds like the usual amplifier white noise. Maybe (or not) more grainy, as what you hear is probably the DAC's residual noise, not the amp's, and DAC's noise usually isn't that "clean".
3-4 bars on iPad is really low level, I just listen to Ryuichi Sakamoto Beauty album on 9 bars (USB2 with Lightning Power Camera Adapter) on my iPadPro 10.5, which is about the level of my own voice when I'm talking. So you probably have a very sensitive hearing.
I just had my hearing tested by a medical audiologist and she told me I would have the hearing of an owl. Maybe she meant a little older owl:).
I have all the equipment to measure and analyse the noise if it's somewhat above the threshold of hearing. I have to see which of my Bruel&Kjaer measurement mic's have low enough self noise, but I have several 1" ones and a B&K 4142 artificial ear - and a very quiet room in my recording studio.
So far I didn't think it's necessary as I don't hear any noise, but it won't hurt to do it.
BTW: Studio recording mic's have too high self noise (except some of the latest Neuman ones) to record the noise, as you may find out if you try comparing recordings with Mobius switched on and off - if you hear a difference in the recordings the noise must be really bad.
With my usual 1/2" B&K mic on my 4143 artificial ear I could not detect any noise, the mic's self noise is too high.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #1,496 of 5,780
@Audeze

I finally received my tracking number 12 hours ago from Fedex and not SFC (shipping from CA and not China, as i was told by support@audeze several times).

Does this mean my unit will have the mic firmware updated?

Will all units shipped from CA have different QC measures from that of China that ensures my unit will have minimal hiss?

Are CA units supposed to have the fix and China shipped units don't or something?

Oct 6, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #1,497 of 5,780
Atm hiss is at a minimum. Can still hear but no major radio like static. It's still there but even in both channels Afraid to turn off then on again. Certain it will come back to full strength if I cycle power. Starting to think it may be an internal mixer/Bt glitch or out of spec component/cold solder. Almost 3 weeks of trying to track down the logistics of this. Infinite combos tried. Yay fun :frowning2:

edit: Music sounds great. Knick ST and R.E.M. AFTP are a dream. No annoying hiss or static. Can listen at low volume without static intrusion.This is what they are supposed to sound like. Never turning them off..

edit:Fun while it lasted, its back. Usb/BT/ Cable/No cable

@Audeze @KMann

I wouldn't hold your breath. Everyone who has sent @Audeze their units for this issue has had to pay for shipping and Audeze has sent them back saying they are within spec. Even though there are plenty who say they hear zero hiss, while a few say they can and its very obvious, they are still calling the units in-spec. Basically, this means @Audeze has decided they are better off ignoring the issue and chalking it up to acceptable quality control percentages.

Oct 6, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #1,498 of 5,780
@Audeze How is this possible? Mine has a strong hiss which is almost never covered when listening to music at my comfort volume.

I have the same issue and support basically told me in a long time wasting email that every unit that has been sent to them for this issue they have tested as "in spec" costing those people money for shipping with nothing to show for it. So @Audeze has decided to not stand behind their quality and not support the few who have these problems. They are hoping our voices will be drowned out as a minority.

Oct 6, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #1,499 of 5,780

Second that the hiss is constant across devices (and volume setting) for me. As you say: turn it on, there it is.

I have the same issue and support basically told me in a long time wasting email that every unit that has been sent to them for this issue they have tested as "in spec" costing those people money for shipping with nothing to show for it. So @Audeze has decided to not stand behind their quality and not support the few who have these problems. They are hoping our voices will be drowned out as a minority.

Was waiting to hear someone report on this; was hoping for a better reaction :frowning2:

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #1,500 of 5,780

Umm... this doesn't align with my experiences with Audeze thus far at all. In fact, they've been extremely helpful behind the scenes one on one in trying to diagnose problems and find solutions. They've been very accommodating with respect to performance and QC issues on the Mobius. The wording above is also misleading, IMO,as it is presenting opinion as fact. I get that you're frustrated. Have you contacted any of the Audeze reps here on the forum directly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back