Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 5, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #1,471 of 5,780
Edit: on second thought, it's possible the installation of the usb driver messed up as I had to install the firmware on a separate pc. If the usb driver is what was supposed to be responsible for fixing the mic issue, then it's possible my pc is missing a required piece to fix the mic.

The USB driver is a special driver that puts Mobius in a programmable mode. It is not a driver you need for normal playback. Mobiles still uses Microsoft's USB drivers. The mic gain was increased in firmware.

Oct 5, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #1,473 of 5,780
The USB driver is a special driver that puts Mobius in a programmable mode. It is not a driver you need for normal playback. Mobiles still uses Microsoft's USB drivers. The mic gain was increased in firmware.

That's both fortunate and unfortunate, as it means my pc isn't missing a piece but also that I don't know what's going on with the mic.

I have not found Side Tone to be a reliable indicator of mic signal being sent to the connected device. Like you said, side tone tends to sound loud and clear, but people listening still complain about poor transmission of mic input.

Right, that's what I mean. The mic itself is working fine (hence why I can hear myself clearly) - the problem is somewhere else down the pipeline.

Oct 5, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #1,474 of 5,780

So why is there a new option under the advanced tab of the microphone properties on my desktop (where I updated the firmware on Mobius) but its not there on my laptop? New option is Signal Enhancements.

Edit: Just tried the mic on my laptop with Microsoft Voice recorder and it was very soft and very metallic sounding. If I can figure out where to upload and share file from I will link them.

Attachments

• Mic_Properties.png
    Mic_Properties.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #1,475 of 5,780
Here's some pad comparisons. For reference comparisons were with this track:
on a Samsung S7Edge, LDAC, AVRCP 1.6, 16 bit, 44khz, Optimal(990kbps) References to my EQ were done with USB Audio Player Pro's Toneboosters parametric EQ. The 3D Off EQ is about 4db at 3.5khz, the 3D On EQ is about 8db at 3.5khz. I use terms like crispy and crunchy to refer to the guitars but i mean low treble high mids... =p Note that I'm aware the Mobius was tuned with the stock pads and this was just a quick little experiment to see if there was any change to sound signature, for better or worse, and to the size of the soundstage, mostly to see if the frontstage could be pushed further forward.
Mobius 3d Off EQ.jpg Mobius 3d On EQ.jpg

3d off: crispy crunchy but too bright
3d on: unlistenable

Music
3d off: still crispy but very listenable volume a little lower than desired though
3d on: still too bright

Warm
3d off: still crispy but slightly loose bass
3d on: still crispy but listenable

My 3d Off EQ
3d off: still crispy but can raise volume to desired level.
3d on: still bright but slightly less than Music

My 3d On EQ
3d on: very listenable, still nice and crispy but non fatiguing.

Sometimes I'll add a small sub bass boost(low shelf 80 hz 2-3db) but not on everything.

Any pads with a mounting lip ring, whatever you call it, can be stretched over the earcup and are actually surprisingly secure. I made some felt o rings to mimic the stock pads foam.

The MrSpeakers Alpha Pads without these felt rings were unbearably bright/sibiliant/grating and that was the case with the rest of the pads, so note that all the pads have the rings you can see in the pictures.

3d Off Default
Much brighter than stock pads

3d Off Music and My 3d On EQ
Good sound, staging is a bit bigger, bass has a little more impact

3d On Much bigger staging, still very bright, I needed a more aggressive eq, more like 10-11db at 3.5khz

Didn't require extra volume even though the drivers are further from the ears. Comfort is good, a little bit extra clamp obviously, but it's more evenly distributed, no sound leakage whatsoever. For me, these worked with some average eqing with 3d off, and some pretty heavy eqing with 3d on.
20181005_171156.jpg 20181005_171215.jpg 20181005_171225.jpg

Biggest staging, less volume(drivers far from ears), suprisingly low leakage(the thick foam and velour material used), a bit more clamp, but nice and comfortable, more breathable.

3d Off:
crispy but non-fatiguing, bass light
Music
Still nice and crispy but better bass, still light though
Warm
still crispy and nice bass, tight, this suprised me because I felt the bass was kind of loose with the stock pads
My 3D Off EQ Default Nice and crunchy but needed sub bass; Warm sounded very good; Music sounded good but slightly tighter bass
My 3d On EQ in Default with a sub bass boost sounded very good

3d On:
My 3d On EQ Music Preset, sounded nice and crunchy but slightly bright, good bass; Warm Preset not quite as crunchy, bass is a bit loose with a sub bass boost in the eq, but without it its a good sound, very non-fatiguing

Testing the Ready Player One race, plugged into an Uptone ISO Regen with Ultracaps LPS 1.2, USB charging off, Music Preset, an eq similar to my 3d on eq
Much better front stage, sibilance without 10khz+ 8db high shelf, Windows volume at 100, not great bass, but very clear voices and mid/treble SFXs. I think the drivers are just too far from your ears, movies are mixed much lower than music, and can't muster the energy needed for LFE. When putting the stock pads back on, the soundstage is immediately much closer, but bass is much more present, more defined, better rumble(a tight articulate movie rumble), less sibilant, however, voices sound slightly muffled.
20181005_172352.jpg 20181005_172406.jpg 20181005_172424.jpg

Immediately noticed these aren't quite as crispy and detailed in the highs
Not great leakage, decently comfortable. Stage was slightly larger than stock.
With 3d off these follow how I felt with the stock pads for each setting, default was little bright, music a little better, warm bass was a little loose, my 3d off eq sounded good.

They're comfortable though and could be an ok option if someone needs breathable pads.
20181005_184056.jpg 20181005_184105.jpg 20181005_184110.jpg

These sounded better than the velours, nice and crispy, but bass wasn't as well defined, good leakage, good comfort. Not a very different stage size than stock.
3d Off
Default crispy but bright
Music crispy good bass slightly loose
Warm fat loose bass
My 3d Off Eq this sounded good but any bass boost loosened it up.
20181005_183548.jpg 20181005_183557.jpg 20181005_183604.jpg

I'm not sure if I prefer the Alpha Pads to the stock pads. There's a significant amount more treble energy, but it can be EQ'd down. Staging is definately bigger. Bass impact was a bit nicer, more tactile. Comfort is mixed, there's more pad surface, but clamp is higher.

I really like the sound from the Dekoni Velour pads, I use them on my Audeze EL-8 and Hifiman HE-400is to great effect, but be noted that I like a laid back sound, flat extended bass and a smaller 3khz bump. I'm going to try a smaller version of the pads, the ones for the Audio technica ATHM0X, the inner dimensions of those match the Mobius pads.

Not much use for the Brainwavz pads really =p

Edit: Quick notes on virtual front soundstages. My main system with the Audeze EL-8s with dekoni LCD Velour pads and Out of Your Head throws a massive soundstage. When sitting at my desk, leaned back, watching a movie on a Benq XR3501, the center channel is clearly anchored to the screen. If I use them with my projector I need a slightly more reverberant room to anchor to the screen which is about 9' away. With a pair of Stax SR-207s, however, the size of the stage is very small(distance of drivers to ear?), and I need that more reverberant room for desk use, this despite the Stax rendering actual room acoustics and acoustic decay much better. I can only imagine how the Sennheiser HD800s do with this. The MrSpeakers Alpha primes are closer to the EL-8s than the SR207s, which is a feat since they're closed.

I should also note that returning to my main system after testing the Mobius, the bass shakers are $&@#ing awesome for movies and metal.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #1,476 of 5,780
Here's some pad comparisons. For reference comparisons were with this track:
on a Samsung S7Edge, LDAC, AVRCP 1.6, 16 bit, 44khz, Optimal(990kbps) References to my EQ were done with USB Audio Player Pro's Toneboosters parametric EQ. The 3D Off EQ is about 4db at 3.5khz, the 3D On EQ is about 8db at 3.5khz. I use terms like crispy and crunchy to refer to the guitars but i mean low treble high mids... =p Note that I'm aware the Mobius was tuned with the stock pads and this was just a quick little experiment to see if there was any change to sound signature, for better or worse, and to the size of the soundstage, mostly to see if the frontstage could be pushed further forward.

3d off: crispy crunchy but too bright
3d on: unlistenable

Music
3d off: still crispy but very listenable volume a little lower than desired though
3d on: still too bright

Warm
3d off: still crispy but slightly loose bass
3d on: still crispy but listenable

My 3d Off EQ
3d off: still crispy but can raise volume to desired level.
3d on: still bright but slightly less than Music

My 3d On EQ
3d on: very listenable, still nice and crispy but non fatiguing.

Sometimes I'll add a small sub bass boost(low shelf 80 hz 2-3db) but not on everything.

Any pads with a mounting lip ring, whatever you call it, can be stretched over the earcup and are actually surprisingly secure. I made some felt o rings to mimic the stock pads foam.

The MrSpeakers Alpha Pads without these felt rings were unbearably bright/sibiliant/grating and that was the case with the rest of the pads, so note that all the pads have the rings you can see in the pictures.

3d Off Default
Much brighter than stock pads

3d Off Music and My 3d On EQ
Good sound, staging is a bit bigger, bass has a little more impact

3d On Much bigger staging, still very bright, I needed a more aggressive eq, more like 10-11db at 3.5khz

Didn't require extra volume even though the drivers are further from the ears. Comfort is good, a little bit extra clamp obviously, but it's more evenly distributed, no sound leakage whatsoever. For me, these worked with some average eqing with 3d off, and some pretty heavy eqing with 3d on.

Biggest staging, less volume(drivers far from ears), suprisingly low leakage(the thick foam and velour material used), a bit more clamp, but nice and comfortable, more breathable.

3d Off:
crispy but non-fatiguing, bass light
Music
Still nice and crispy but better bass, still light though
Warm
still crispy and nice bass, tight, this suprised me because I felt the bass was kind of loose with the stock pads
My 3D Off EQ Default Nice and crunchy but needed sub bass; Warm sounded very good; Music sounded good but slightly tighter bass
My 3d On EQ in Default with a sub bass boost sounded very good

3d On:
My 3d On EQ Music Preset, sounded nice and crunchy but slightly bright, good bass; Warm Preset not quite as crunchy, bass is a bit loose with a sub bass boost in the eq, but without it its a good sound, very non-fatiguing

Testing the Ready Player One race, plugged into an Uptone ISO Regen with Ultracaps LPS 1.2, USB charging off, Music Preset, an eq similar to my 3d on eq
Much better front stage, sibilance without 10khz+ 8db high shelf, Windows volume at 100, not great bass, but very clear voices and mid/treble SFXs. I think the drivers are just too far from your ears, movies are mixed much lower than music, and can't muster the energy needed for LFE. When putting the stock pads back on, the soundstage is immediately much closer, but bass is much more present, more defined, better rumble(a tight articulate movie rumble), less sibilant, however, voices sound slightly muffled.

Immediately noticed these aren't quite as crispy and detailed in the highs
Not great leakage, decently comfortable. Stage was slightly larger than stock.
With 3d off these follow how I felt with the stock pads for each setting, default was little bright, music a little better, warm bass was a little loose, my 3d off eq sounded good.

They're comfortable though and could be an ok option if someone needs breathable pads.

These sounded better than the velours, nice and crispy, but bass wasn't as well defined, good leakage, good comfort. Not a very different stage size than stock.
3d Off
Default crispy but bright
Music crispy good bass slightly loose
Warm fat loose bass
My 3d Off Eq this sounded good but any bass boost loosened it up.

I'm not sure if I prefer the Alpha Pads to the stock pads. There's a significant amount more treble energy, but it can be EQ'd down. Staging is definately bigger. Bass impact was a bit nicer, more tactile. Comfort is mixed, there's more pad surface, but clamp is higher.

I really like the sound from the Dekoni Velour pads, I use them on my Audeze EL-8 and Hifiman HE-400is to great effect, but be noted that I like a laid back sound, flat extended bass and a smaller 3khz bump. I'm going to try a smaller version of the pads, the ones for the Audio technica ATHM0X, the inner dimensions of those match the Mobius pads.

Not much use for the Brainwavz pads really =p

Edit: Quick notes on virtual front soundstages. My main system with the Audeze EL-8s with dekoni LCD Velour pads and Out of Your Head throws a massive soundstage. When sitting at my desk, leaned back, watching a movie on a Benq XR3501, the center channel is clearly anchored to the screen. If I use them with my projector I need a slightly more reverberant room to anchor to the screen which is about 9' away. With a pair of Stax SR-207s, however, the size of the stage is very small(distance of drivers to ear?), and I need that more reverberant room for desk use, this despite the Stax rendering actual room acoustics and acoustic decay much better. I can only imagine how the Sennheiser HD800s do with this. The MrSpeakers Alpha primes are closer to the EL-8s than the SR207s, which is a feat since they're closed.

I should also note that returning to my main system after testing the Mobius, the bass shakers are $&@#ing awesome for movies and metal.

haha, isn't it surprisingly easy how to do it?

so why ask Audeze just sell us the plastic rim?

thank you for posting so many comments on different pads.

i am happy with the default sheepskin lcd pads.

Oct 5, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #1,477 of 5,780
Just tried the mic for the first time on a WeChat call - no firmware update, Mobius cabled via USB C - no problems at all, other side heard me loud and clear, though I didn't ask for feedback about quality (should have done)
Really comfortable, good sound, no mic problems.
I will say though that there is a HUGE difference between USB C cable and standard Aux cable, I doubt I will ever use the Mobius with aux, way too quiet.
Loving these cans!

Oct 5, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #1,478 of 5,780
haha, isn't it surprisingly easy how to do it?

so why ask Audeze just sell us the plastic rim?

Yup even without the plastic rim they stayed on well. But the cups surface is not condusive to aftermarket pads, being designed for the stock pads, so a crafted mounting ring would still be better.

i am happy with the default sheepskin lcd pads.

I could see this being nice, with the Alpha Pads being to bright/sibilant, and the LCD Velour being to bass light, that might be a great middle ground. Maybe I'll pick up a pair at some point to try.

Can you comment on soundstage size in 3d with the lcd pads?

Oct 5, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #1,479 of 5,780
Man, you guys are getting me hyped about the Warm preset :). Can’t believe that they added it so quickly! I love the Sine and EL-8 because with the Cipher they’re at the same time fun and detailed.

Mobius’s default tuning is what I’d consider an audiophile tuning with mid and treble emphasis and a bass that is present and flat but not overly punchy. I like the idea of new presets potentially being added via firmware updates even more than I like the idea of EQ. If anyone has any more suggestions, let us know :wink:. It’s like getting a new headphone with each update.

Oct 6, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #1,481 of 5,780
Man, you guys are getting me hyped about the Warm preset :). Can’t believe that they added it so quickly! I love the Sine and EL-8 because with the Cipher they’re at the same time fun and detailed.

Mobius’s default tuning is what I’d consider an audiophile tuning with mid and treble emphasis and a bass that is present and flat but not overly punchy. I like the idea of new presets potentially being added via firmware updates even more than I like the idea of EQ. If anyone has any more suggestions, let us know :wink:. It’s like getting a new headphone with each update.
there is a warm preset?! in new firmware only?

don't want to trouble support@audeze just to ask for software.

i imagine, there are still a long list of folks waiting for their toy!

Oct 6, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #1,482 of 5,780
Yup even without the plastic rim they stayed on well. But the cups surface is not condusive to aftermarket pads, being designed for the stock pads, so a crafted mounting ring would still be better.

I could see this being nice, with the Alpha Pads being to bright/sibilant, and the LCD Velour being to bass light, that might be a great middle ground. Maybe I'll pick up a pair at some point to try.

Can you comment on soundstage size in 3d with the lcd pads?

soundstage, awesome!

the default factory pads are already angled. with the lcd pads angled even more!

Oct 6, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #1,483 of 5,780
So there is either a lot variability among Mobiuses or... people are deaf.

1) My mobius has no hiss. Again I don't mean "minimal" . I mean DEAD. Radio silence. Cemetery at 3am . I know people are reporting hisses , they are either reporting their own tinnitus or "the fix" has a lot of variation.

Thank you for this! I've been going back and forth all week trying to figure out if I can tolerate the hiss. On mine it's clear as night and day. Imagine putting your ears right up between a pair of 70's tower speakers and amp with volume raised. Not subtle. Easily checked by powering off then on, wired/wireless, battery/usb, mobius as power amp and software preamp etc. I am a musician with a home studio, so for me instrumental parts are often recorded and mixed in pieces. When I listen to a full band play at higher volumes the hiss does get covered. When listening to slow building classical, starts and stops, minimal music, podcasts the hiss distracts and takes me right out of the experience. These don't need much volume either. Way back in the other thread I was suprised to read, I think it was kmann, say he listened at 10%. Makes perfect sense now.

To hear you and others report of 0 hiss gives me hope that this can be solved either by a replacement pair or some kind of f/w update(unlikely). I'm not looking forward to the rma process and possibillity of having to shell out more $ in shipping and duty fees(roughly 30shipped 30duties so far). Odd that there is so much variation in experience but reports from you and others is appreciated.

I can also confirm that my Mobius has zero hiss, like absolutely none at all. My pair is dead silent in all modes.

@Audeze How is this possible? Mine has a strong hiss which is almost never covered when listening to music at my comfort volume.

Oct 6, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #1,484 of 5,780
there is a warm preset?! in new firmware only?

don't want to trouble support@audeze just to ask for software.

i imagine, there are still a long list of folks waiting for their toy!

Yup warm preset is in the beta mic fix firmware.

And it's AWESOME.

It is undoubtedly the best way to play games or movies.. It is just amazing.

Music, it is good for hip hop and edm, for more classical stuff or vocal instrumentals, I prefer the default.

I was watching Guardians of the galaxy 2 and I could hear the space ships flying past me and the THUMP of all explosions.

I played some starwars battlefront 2 and battlefield 1 and the Soundstage was so beautiful with all the explosion and laser blasts accurately painting a 3d image in my brain

I still lost though but that's for me sucking lol

I wonder if a really good player could actually have improved performance with the Mobius

Oct 6, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #1,485 of 5,780

I personally prefer the Default to the Warm preset. I spent a bit more time with the Warm preset today, and after switching back to default I miss the treble energy and clarity. The Warm setting is nice if you like a real laid back sound or find the treble too bright, sometimes I'm in the mood for that as well. If you are listening on a PC though I still prefer to simply bump the bass levels up a bit with a system wide EQ and keep it on the default setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back