Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 4, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #1,442 of 5,780
sorry, nope. it's extremely easy if you try. just snap it on.

revert if you don't like the sound/looks etc. so as the bose headband.

btw, don't ask me the sound difference. no idea since this is the config from day 1. not interested to know either.

-.-

Lol

So the stock pads are still on there? What do they fit inside the lcd pads? Or the lcd pads sit on top of the stock pads?

Oct 5, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #1,445 of 5,780
lcd on top of the factory mobius pad.

mobius pad is double sided taped. don't want any glue residue, no point taking it off anyway.

Crazy, clamps still comfortable? Or better because of the increased surface area of the LCD pads?

Oct 5, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #1,447 of 5,780

here you go.

@Audeze @KMann How about an Audeze mounting ring that snaps in like the stock ring for trying different pads? Forgive me if this was addressed in the previous thread or elsewhere I did try searching first Xd

Oct 5, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #1,448 of 5,780
@Audeze @KMann How about an Audeze mounting ring that snaps in like the stock ring for trying different pads? Forgive me if this was addressed in the previous thread or elsewhere I did try searching first Xd

ah...... why do you put me on the pedestal?

3d printing is so common these days.

and if you notice on the original mobius pads and the mount, there are quite a few other components too, not just simply a plastic ring. some sort of foam pads on the plastic mounts too?

Oct 5, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #1,452 of 5,780
I currently own the Morpheus, a couple of hard-to-drive headphones (LCD3 and HE1000v2), and a non Head-fi but bass heavy, easy to drive headphone, the JVC SZ2000.

Which combo do you guys think would give me the best cinematic and gaming experience on Windows 10, disregarding music sound quality?

1. Morpheus connected directly to PC via USB-C
2. LCD3/HE1000v2 connected to an Xbox One Elite controller using the controller's headphone jack, with Windows 10 Dolby Atmos Headphone driver
3. JVC 2000 connected to an Xbox one Elite controller using the controller's headphone jack, with WIndows 10 Dolby Atmos Headphone driver

By cinematic experience I mean I should really feel like the sound is coming from behind or above me etc, just like what my 7.1.4 Atmos home theatre does (but I can't use it in late night as I live in an apartment).

The closest experience I had was using the Smyth Realizer, but it is too much of a hassle to use on a frequent basis. Any comments will be appreciated!

Oct 5, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #1,453 of 5,780
I think the most valuable part is the 3D effect. I don’t think they are worth 400 without it.

Fair enough. Do you know the NAD Viso HP70 btw? They also run $400. Supposedly they sound similar to the old HP 50 (a headphone I used for 2.5 years as my go-to work headphone) with wireless and ANC. I believe people considered them somewhat overpriced?

That's a tough question. So much is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder. Personally I think they are an improvement on the Oppo PM-3's sound, which is the most similar headphone that I've heard in my limited experience. Of course the PM-3 could scale with better sources, but the tuning on the Mobius is far more natural. The PM-3 was $400 new when it was on sale but some might argue that was overpriced, and the competition among wireless cans is intense with the perceived value easily shifting due to a disruptor entering the market.

I guess the only way to answer this question fairly is to do a head-to-head comparison with something as high quality as Sony's current bluetooth headphone champ. Is the Mobius worth $100 extra on SQ alone? Doubtful since the 3D, head tracking and 7.1 are all built into that price.

It probably was just me, but I wound up selling off my Oppo PM-3 after four months of using them. I guess, the sound they gave just wasn't for me. I'll leave it at that.

if you ask the question the other way around: what is the best headphones I can get for $400 if I do not want Mobius versatility, it's easier to answer - maybe ...

There are passive headphones with none of the extra features that Mobius has for $400 that do sound better -a bit - in some way.
Open back planars come to my mind, the Hifiman Massdrop HE4xx, if you remove the outside grill and replace it with something more acoustically transparent or leave the grill away (so you end up in the mod section).
But, they do not offer the step up of the sound if you use and like the 3D effect that Mobius has.
And there's less bass because they are open back and not active, as the constructor had no way to boost the bass. So you need an App to do this...

This is where you end up whatever other headphones you look at, Mobius is so special that it cannot be easily compared to other headphones.
So if you want to spend a bit more, let's say $1500, we can start to talk again - but wait, there is this 3D effect with headtracking …

Is there a car that can drive faster then my tuned 400 PS minivan?
Yes, but you cannot take your family to holiday's in it, they don't fit into the F1 racer, not to mention the luggage.
And you may not drive the F1 on public streets, and you have to change tires every 200 miles ...:smile_phones: ... did I mention the F1 has no 3D effect?

Seriously, there are $ 400 headphones that have a slight edge on sound quality potential, but you have to build your own package from them - out of the box, not really.
I am right now in holidays and guess what I have taken with me from my huge collection: the Mobius and the Focal Clear.

Driving an F1 car on the streets? *dreams for a minute* Aaaanyway, yeah I get you. But hey that's all the headphones are about right? The experience of sound. Most of my so-called-friends just laugh at me going "sov is wasting money again" and such.

Oh and quick update. Yeah I did get to use the update. In case no one posted them:
- Mic is still quieter on Windows 10 than Windows 7 but people can hear me now.
- If you are on PC and turn off the headset while on Hi-Res mode, you may hear garbled audio when you power it back on (assuming you kept your headset plugged in). Fix this by switching to 8 channel mode and then make your way back to Hi-Res mode. You can also unplug and plug back in your headset. If you do that, you probably will never encounter this issue.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #1,454 of 5,780
I currently own the Morpheus, a couple of hard-to-drive headphones (LCD3 and HE1000v2), and a non Head-fi but bass heavy, easy to drive headphone, the JVC SZ2000.

Which combo do you guys think would give me the best cinematic and gaming experience on Windows 10, disregarding music sound quality?

1. Morpheus connected directly to PC via USB-C
2. LCD3/HE1000v2 connected to an Xbox One Elite controller using the controller's headphone jack, with Windows 10 Dolby Atmos Headphone driver
3. JVC 2000 connected to an Xbox one Elite controller using the controller's headphone jack, with WIndows 10 Dolby Atmos Headphone driver

By cinematic experience I mean I should really feel like the sound is coming from behind or above me etc, just like what my 7.1.4 Atmos home theatre does (but I can't use it in late night as I live in an apartment).

The closest experience I had was using the Smyth Realizer, but it is too much of a hassle to use on a frequent basis. Any comments will be appreciated!

Youve got all the equipment, why dont you test them and let us know? My vote would be for the Mobius as I didnt find atmosnfor headphones to be to out of the head. And i cant imagine the xbox controller driving an lcd3 or he1000 to well

You have a realiser? You're not gonna get above effects without a realiser a16 though.

Oct 5, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #1,455 of 5,780
It probably was just me, but I wound up selling off my Oppo PM-3 after four months of using them. I guess, the sound they gave just wasn't for me. I'll leave it at that.

The soundstage on the Mobius is better even with 3D off, but otherwise the technicalities between the Mobius and the PM-3 are comparable. Hard to do an apple to apple direct between a passive headphone and active-only headset. But I think where the Mobius clearly comes out ahead is in the tuning. There was something about the PM-3’s rolled-off response in the sub-bass and top octave that wasn’t helped by the mid-forward sound. The Mobius also has the neutral mid-forward tuning but it’s sub-bass and treble response is much better Than the Oppo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back