Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 24, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #1,081 of 5,780
@Audeze trying to register my mobius - was wondering where I can find the serial number? Checked under the yokes of each ear cup none of the numbers seem to work and I don’t see anything that says “serial no”
Underneath the left earcup's earpads, there's a serial number sticker.

Push the 2 bumps that stick out from the plastic of the earcups to get the earpads off.

Sep 24, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #1,084 of 5,780
That graph is not compensated right? I wish I can see the compensated version.

Response looks different from LCDs.

Compensated with the Harman target. If you get a headphone curve identical to the Harman curve, and compensate it with the Harman target curve, you will get a flat line.

Yes, uncompensated.

Not too different really ...
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2sn5423021Fazer.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2SN5325928.pdf
Sexy %@#$ing headphones...

Sep 24, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #1,085 of 5,780
I found this measurement of the Sine. Looks similar

Audeze Sine - raw.png

Diffuse Field Target compensated

Audeze Sine - df.png

Harman Target Compensated

Audeze Sine - harman.png

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #1,086 of 5,780
3D Manual does have its uses. I find with modern music tracks are too layered so usually purposely moving your head to listen a specific element or instrument muffles the track, but on “She’s a Rainbow” by The Rolling Stones which has a bit of extreme stereo separation and lead vocals off to the left you can bring the vocals or lead instruments to the center by moving your head around. I.e. Move to the left, and the vocals suddenly sound naturally centered. Pretty cool. I imagine it would work on most Beatles tracks as well. Anything with extreme stereo separation, especially real instruments and older production.

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #1,087 of 5,780
3D Manual does have its uses. I find with modern music tracks are too layered so usually purposely moving your head to listen a specific element or instrument muffles the track, but on “She’s a Rainbow” by The Rolling Stones which has a bit of extreme stereo separation and lead vocals off to the left you can bring the vocals or lead instruments to the center by moving your head around. I.e. Move to the left, and the vocals suddenly sound naturally centered. Pretty cool. I imagine it would work on most Beatles tracks as well. Anything with extreme stereo separation, especially real instruments and older production.

I can confirm the Beatles sound great with 3D Mode, but I usually use 3D auto. This is especially useful for me since a medical condition has impacted my hearing in my left ear. Most of the Beatles recordings sound quite poor to me with headphones that I used to listen to them in mono with my older headphones. I don't have to do that with the Mobius. So I am happy.

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #1,088 of 5,780
I got my pair on friday and I have been pleased with them. Perhaps not quite the upgrade I hoped for from my ATH-MRS7s, but great pair non the less.
I have had some minor problems with the electronics but all of them have been corrected by just restarting the headphones.
Couple questions / remarks though:
- When in USB-mode and receiving a call on my cellphone, I could speak to the person calling me (via bt), but the quality was beyond horrible and the caller didn't hear me and simultaneously I could hear the game sounds at really low volume. Is this supposed to work somehow (answering calls on BT during USB-gaming)?
I mean simultaneous BT+USB, because it kind of almost worked, but it didn't. As soon as I unplugged the USB the BT sound quality got good and the caller could hear me well.
- When I turn on the headphones it immediately pair with my phone and my phone says that there is only 10% battery left (every time). The Audeze program reports 98% battery level. I know the Audeze program batterylevel indication will be fixed in next release, but should my phone (galaxy S7) report that 10% battery level? It seems weird.

- The mic is a bit quiet in windows but my friends on discord say that they can hear me well. The sidetone is almost neglible IMO.

- There is definitely some noise floor, but it is nowhere near annoying. I forget about it as soon as I start listening something, but in a quiet room it is there. I can't say that I have even thought about it when listening to any kind of music.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #1,089 of 5,780
Has anyone tried the Mobius on linux? Any sucess detecting it as a 7.1/5.1 sound card?

I am aware that Audeze states that Linux is not supported, so do many other sound card manufacturers, and yet sound cards seem to just work. I am also not worried about the windows only app, wich I will happily run in a vm.

Sep 25, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #1,090 of 5,780
Is anyone able to do a comparison between the Mobius's 3D audio and the virtual surround on the Sennheiser GSX 1000? The GSX 1000 is the current reining camp of consumer level virtual surround, it would be interesting to hear if it has been dethroned.

Sep 25, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #1,091 of 5,780
I can also confirm that the battery is discharging even with the Mobius turned off while plugged in via USB. I've come home after a day to it being dead twice now even though it's powered off.

Best advice seems to be to disconnect it if not in use for some time, it's likely not going to be great for long term battery life to continually allow the headphones to completely drain.

Regarding battery charging:
  1. Fastest way to charge is through a 1A charger, turn off Mobius connect to a wall charger that can do 1A via USB.
  2. Connected via USB: If you leave Mobius connected to a PC/Mac that is switched on, it charges at the maximum allowed 500mA, irrespective of whether Mobius is switched on or Off.
  3. Connected via USB: If you leave Mobius connected to a PC/Mac that is switched off, it discharges irrespective of whether Mobius is switched on or Off. This is because the micro controller detects a USB connection and is waiting for input.
  4. Connected via Aux: If you connect via Aux and leave Mobius on, even if no music is playing, Mobius will discharge as A/D converter and the rest of the system is active. If you Switch off Mobius it will keep the charge.
  5. Paired via BT: If Mobius is paired via BT and turned on, it stays on even if music is not playing as it is waiting for BT input (like an incoming call). This will cause the battery to discharge.
Depending on your use case:
  1. If you do not intend to charge Mobius switch it off.
  2. If you want to charge your Mobius, use a wall charger or connect ti to a PC/Mac that is powered on.
  3. If you want Mobius to idle, disconnect all cables and make sure it is not paired via BT.
Edit: For a wall charger, a 5V USB charger will work, 1A is the maximum charging rate supported by Mobius.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #1,092 of 5,780
Mine was under the right ear cup and when I try to register it, get a serial number not valid error.

Anyone else experience this?
Yes, I contacted @Audeze and they e-mailed me back saying there is a known bug with their web site that is preventing it from recognizing serial numbers, and that they added my serial to their system manually. However, since my serial is apparently not associated with an Audeze login, I'm not sure how to file a support ticket (I'm experiencing painful crackling and popping in the left earpiece in 7.1 mode). I'll probably have to get support via e-mail rather than the web site.

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #1,093 of 5,780
  1. Fastest way to charge is through a 1A charger, turn off Mobius connect to a wall charger that can do 1A via USB.
  2. Connected via USB: If you leave Mobius connected to a PC/Mac that is switched on, it charges at the maximum allowed 500mA, irrespective of whether Mobius is switched on or Off.
  3. Connected via USB: If you leave Mobius connected to a PC/Mac that is switched off, it discharges irrespective of whether Mobius is switched on or Off. This is because the micro controller detects a USB connection and is waiting for input.
  4. Connected via Aux: If you connect via Aux and leave Mobius on, even if no music is playing, Mobius will discharge as A/D converter and the rest of the system is active. If you Switch off Mobius it will keep the charge.
  5. Paired via BT: If Mobius is paired via BT and turned on, it stays on even if music is not playing as it is waiting for BT input (like an incoming call). This will cause the battery to discharge.
  2. If you want to charge your Mobius, use a wall charger or connect ti to a PC/Mac that is powered on.
  3. If you want Mobius to idle, disconnect all cables and make sure it is not paired via BT.

Thanks for the reply and for the info. It's good to know that it's not a flaw the Mobius battery still drains while connected via USB even if the Mobius is turned off. It's a little inconvenient to have to unplug the Mobius from PC frequently. Turning charging off seems to be an option as well though I suppose.

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #1,094 of 5,780

I see, so basically just take out the cable ( regardless if its USB or AUX) and turn it off? Unless you wanna charge ofc.

Another question, do you have a lot of incoming customer support errands? I've been waiting for over 48h for a response from customer support.

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #1,095 of 5,780
Is anyone able to do a comparison between the Mobius's 3D audio and the virtual surround on the Sennheiser GSX 1000? The GSX 1000 is the current reining camp of consumer level virtual surround, it would be interesting to hear if it has been dethroned.

I have both, and will try to give a comparison. Purely as a virtual surround process, I think the gsx is better. I get better positional cues, and I get a more out of head experience with the gsx, whether thats due to the actual processing or being able to use open backed headphones (I used sennheiser game one with it). I also find that it does it best without the need of adding extra reverb, though the option is there.

The mobius on the other hand definitely needs your proper head measurements to sound its best as anything else can end up sounding metallic. I find the positioning very good, especially with the head tracking. And the head tracking definitely adds another dimension to the positional cues, so its very nice for that. So the head tracking is good, and I definitely get really good positional cues, but to me it feels like the soundfield is inside my head. Its 3d and surround, but I personally am not getting much of a feeling of space with the mobius.

On vss alone, I would give it to the gsx. But as an overall package, the mobius is pretty great. Have any other questions about the differences between them? I will be happy to answer anything specific you might want to know.

Thank you for clarifying specifically that the battery behavior I am seeing is by design and not an error or issue. Though I do still think some of the behavior is a bit weird even if by design. As a pc centric headset, I am probably going to be using it most that way. So having to unplug it every time I shut the PC off still seems a bit counter intuitive. Since this has clearly led to my battery dying more than once. Which then seems to cause another strange issue. The mobius does not resume charging at that point once the PC is switched back on, requiring me to unplug and plug it back in. Either way, thank you for clarifying, I at least now know the proper way to use it to avoid the issue I had been seeing.

Also this is a silly question, but I just want to verify, you have mentioned 1A chargers, most of the chargers I have are more than 1A, I just want to absolutely make sure that if I use a 2A charger that it wont cause any issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back