Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 17, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #661 of 5,780
What VSenses said. To elaborate, right now the game takes sound locations and cues, and mixes them to 7.1. Mobius gets these 7.1 channels and replicates 8 speakers in a digital room which is what we hear. It would be even better if there were a universal API that was able to tell a headphone "this sound is 165 degrees from center, 235cm away and 30cm down from ear level in a room with these dimensions, and the sound is occluded by a 8cm surface (like a wall)" and allow said headphone to calculate the sound based on that. Currently, we have tech kinda like that (check out Steam Audio), but nothing that would allow it to be sent to a headphone (currently it's all calculated by the computer, which means potential headtracking wouldn't be as low latency).

Oh ok I gotcha. @VSENSES what were you talking about from the 90s 00s?

Physics based audio sounds pretty cool though, hadn't looked into game audio creation.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #663 of 5,780
My mobius just came, and I'm listening to it now. It sounds great, but there's popping sounds (kind of like popcorn) while music is playing. will this go away after a while or is it a serious problem? I got 2 pairs, one for me, and one for a friend. I'm not sure if his have the same problem.

and BTW the noise floor is noticeable, listening to nothing, and listening to music with quiet passages. It's not that objectionable though, as noise goes.

Sep 17, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #664 of 5,780
Oh ok I gotcha. @VSENSES what were you talking about from the 90s 00s?

Physics based audio sounds pretty cool though, hadn't looked into game audio creation.
Object based audio is what this is. Dolby ATMOS is one implementation. DTS-X also does something similar. THX showed MPEG-H implementation with Qualcomm at NAB this year.
You can read more about MPEG-H 3D audio here from this presentation from Fraunhofer.
http://www.mpeghaa.com/presentations/NeuendorfM_NAB2014_MPEGH_Status_v013.pdf

3D audio is an exciting field and we are just getting started.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 17, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #665 of 5,780
My mobius just came, and I'm listening to it now. It sounds great, but there's popping sounds (kind of like popcorn) while music is playing. will this go away after a while or is it a serious problem? I got 2 pairs, one for me, and one for a friend. I'm not sure if his have the same problem.

and BTW the noise floor is noticeable, listening to nothing, and listening to music with quiet passages. It's not that objectionable though, as noise goes.
Popping sound is not normal.

Sep 17, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #666 of 5,780

Clipping ? How are you playing music - USB or BT or Analog ?

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 17, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #667 of 5,780
Definately not clipping. I'm at a volume of 6 on USB, which reminds me that I'm in the front port on a PC, which may not be ideal in terms of noise.

Yeah, switching ports fixed it, and noise went down.
Thanks!

I wonder if it's worthwhile to invest in a proper USB decrappifier?

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #668 of 5,780
After trying the mic out a bit in Overwatch it's sad to say it has issues. I believe that the internal processing and ambient noice cancellation is making the mic not optimal. It seems like there is a bit of lag before it starts to pick up sound so a lot of the time the first letters of the words are cut out. This might also be a problem with Overwatch, but my 10 year old usb mic is not having these problems. Will continue to investigate.

I can also confirm people on discord are having this issue with my mic and voice as well. "suddenly you sound soft or it is cutting out, and I'm confused as to what" is the direct quote.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #669 of 5,780
I can also confirm people on discord are having this issue with my mic and voice as well. "suddenly you sound soft or it is cutting out, and I'm confused as to what" is the direct quote.
I just found something that works! I set the mobius mic to 100% in mobius app and 50% in system settings, and then just adjusted the mic inside the game. I now hear myself (sidetone) and everything is great. I'm one of those who cannot stand to not hear my own voice, so for me this is perfect.

Running Hi-Res 2Ch, and Dolby Atmos in game

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #670 of 5,780
Object based audio is what this is. Dolby ATMOS is one implementation. DTS-X also does something similar. THX showed MPEG-H implementation with Qualcomm at NAB this year.
You can read more about MPEG-H 3D audio here from this presentation from Fraunhofer.
http://www.mpeghaa.com/presentations/NeuendorfM_NAB2014_MPEGH_Status_v013.pdf

3D audio is an exciting field and we are just getting started.

Yes, I've had an atmos speaker system for a few years now, it's really fantastic. And what they're talking about on the gaming side with Steam Audio is real time physics based audio objects in a game environment? Really cool, and a big boost to immersion.

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #671 of 5,780
To anyone not enjoying their listening experience yet, I have a quick remedy:

- Plug the Mobius via USB in your PC or Laptop
- Make sure they are on 3D mode auto
- Turn on Netflix
- Open Thor : Ragnarok at 1:48:55
- repeat until satisfied

These headphones blow my expectations way out.
I paid 269 for mine, I purchased them for gaming and movies of my Nvidia shield.
Honestly, I would pay full price tomorrow morning in a heartbeat.
These headphones are packed with features and the quality is fantastic!
I also wanted to tank you for the case it came with, simple yet efficient.
I'm super happy so far!!! Can't wait to put more hours and try them on Overwatch and listen to some tunes.

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #672 of 5,780
Just got mine today, so far I am very impressed with the sound quality over all the different modes, although I would also like to ask that the head tracking be optional for 3d mode. I have to look back and forth between monitors all day while working and the head tracking is a little bit weird, especially when I have to re-center often. Also, I use foobar for all my music listening and having to fiddle with bit rate and upsampling / downsampling to make the hi res and 2ch 3d work is kind of a pain but oh well.

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #673 of 5,780
I wonder if it's worthwhile to invest in a proper USB decrappifier?

I've got an uptone iso regen i can test the mobius on when it arrives. I personally really like a clean usb chain and found it and ac isolation made a big difference when using similar virtual surround/speaker programs.

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #674 of 5,780
Just got my mobius.

Only used them for like 2 hours so VERY EARLY impression

1) There is no hiss
I don't mean "there is slight hiss" . No, i mean there is NO hiss. Not when music is playing, not when music is not playing. There is ZERO hiss. Z E R O. I have seen people mention slight hiss but my unit has none. its radio silence. As silent as my senn' 598 or akg k7xx.

2) Sound quality is SUPERB. Only listened like 20 min of music and jumped straight into overwatch. Sound is crisp, handles volumes well without too much distortion. It's pretty bassy compared to my k7xx imho .

3)Sound localization and 3d. Very very subtle sound distortion compared to most vss implementations . Including the free nx waves demo O_o . I have to set my head size etc but i have no way of measuring right now . Playing overwatch It was Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than dolby atmos imho. I know it's technically not possible since 7.1 but i could even get a sense of height? (not headtracking wise , just sound projection) .

I can't wait to keep playing more and more games!

Mobius so far is delivering the goods @_@

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #675 of 5,780
Playing overwatch It was Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than dolby atmos imho.

Agreed about Overwatch in Mobius compared to Dolby Atmos. Got mine today as well and I'm looking forward to trying it with the Batman and Mass Effect series next after having tried it with Overwatch and Destiny 2. I've never been so excited about game audio before. Haha.

Music sounds really good with the 3D on, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back