Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #694 of 5,780
Agreed about Overwatch in Mobius compared to Dolby Atmos. Got mine today as well and I'm looking forward to trying it with the Batman and Mass Effect series next after having tried it with Overwatch and Destiny 2. I've never been so excited about game audio before. Haha.

Music sounds really good with the 3D on, too.

Played some destiny 2 myself . It was fantastic Sound separation was excellent, although I will say destiny sound mixing is like one of the best I've seen recently.

I played some crucible and had a really good sense of positioning just by sound. I have played destiny 2 with creative sbx and I think mobius is maybe slightly better? Will require further testing but for sure better imaging than in stereo.

I still died like a million times though :frowning2:

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #696 of 5,780
We are looking into the issue. We spoke to several people on and off the forum. We are still trying to figure out if this issue is limited to some users.
Both Audeze and Discord (the company) tested the mics and have not found any issue in the units we tested.
In speaking with some of the customer
1. A few people called us about mic not working, but had connected the mic to the 3.5 mm port (and not the microphone port).
2. Some people had the mute switch on.
3. A few people had software settings enabled that caused some of the issues (like cutting in/out). This was either because very high sensitivity for voice trigger was enabled or automatic gain control was enabled.
4. With some other we getting more information and trying to locate the issue.

So we have started writing a best practices note on how to use it with various apps. We will add more to this list.
https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...e-your-microphone-for-use-with-VoIP-utilities
Could you get the dimensions for the mic please? I want to get something like a Rycote Lavalier Foam to help reduce breathing and plosive sounds but don't know if I should get a miniature or normal size. Thanks

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #697 of 5,780
Played some destiny 2 myself . It was fantastic Sound separation was excellent, although I will say destiny sound mixing is like one of the best I've seen recently.

I played some crucible and had a really good sense of positioning just by sound. I have played destiny 2 with creative sbx and I think mobius is maybe slightly better? Will require further testing but for sure better imaging than in stereo.

I still died like a million times though :frowning2:

Haha. Yeah, that sense of positioning that the Mobius provides was great for Crucible. Helped me avoid a few deaths, but I too died more often than not. Tomorrow will be even worse with light level enabled in Iron Banner, but I'm still banking on my Mobius to at least let me know when someone is at my back so I can run for my life from those that are 540+.

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #698 of 5,780
Has Sony been receptive to the idea of 5.1 output via USB on PS4 Pro?

I think they should allow the end user to pay a license fee in order to enable 5.1 via usb (if that is something the hardware even allows) just like ms is doing with Dolby Atmos. If you don’t need it you don’t have to pay but the option should be there. I would guess the PS5 will have this from the start

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #699 of 5,780
I think they should allow the end user to pay a license fee in order to enable 5.1 via usb (if that is something the hardware even allows) just like ms is doing with Dolby Atmos. If you don’t need it you don’t have to pay but the option should be there. I would guess the PS5 will have this from the start

Atmos for headphones is virtualized surround sound and not a 5.1 output. From comparisons I’ve heard the surround on Mobius is much better.

Microsoft might have the edge in 2.1 since the controller itself outputs uncompressed stereo. Unfortunately I couldn’t find any games I was interested in on Xbox One and Spider-Man was calling my name... Did I buy my first video game in five years just to use it with Mobius? Probably :wink:

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #700 of 5,780
I know Audeze has mentioned plans for a console version of Mobius if they’re able to create it. Would this necessitate an entirely new unit? Have there been talks with Microsoft or Sony regarding official support? I imagine the only way this would work with the current generation of consoles would be via USB, making Sony more likely than Microsoft to license or update the console’s USB output settings if possible.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #701 of 5,780
Count me as another with mic issues. Along with low volume, when I do get it working, people in Discord say that my voice goes from loud to quiet, to loud all the time. I think the background noise cancelling is being way to aggressive or something. Even turning off all gain control in Discord, the same issue happens.

Sep 18, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #702 of 5,780
Count me as another with mic issues. Along with low volume, when I do get it working, people in Discord say that my voice goes from loud to quiet, to loud all the time. I think the background noise cancelling is being way to aggressive or something. Even turning off all gain control in Discord, the same issue happens.
If the volume level changes when you speak, it is more than likely that Noise suppression in Discord might be enabled. The Mobius mic only has passive noise cancellation. Can you check if Discord Noise suppression is on ?

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 18, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #703 of 5,780
If the volume level changes when you speak, it is more than likely that Noise suppression in Discord might be enabled. The Mobius mic only has passive noise cancellation. Can you check if Discord Noise suppression is on ?

Yep, double checked, I have Echo Cancellation, Noise Suppression, and Automatic Gain Control turned off. Test recording: https://vocaroo.com/i/s0vcf5xDKVwu. That's with the mic, an inch away from my mouth, speaking at normal volume for the entire sentence.

I've also tried unplugging the mic and plugging it in again to make sure I pushed it all the way in. Even still, people in Discord say they can barely hear me, even with mic volume maxed out, unless I boost it to +10db with EqualizerAPO or something.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #704 of 5,780
I get the feeling Mobius mic gain is set overly weak so that it needs specific settings to work within ideal range instead of working ideally with typical app standard settings. Most headsets are tuned to work "decently" with standard app settings. (too much gain again can often lead to excessive noise sneaking into the internal circuit so that could be a reason they stayed rather conservative on the mic gain and especially with such powerful built in amps could potentially become problematic)

Slight gain increase + thin foam cover had probably made the overall mic experience better (but perhaps could potentially cause more hiss in case noise starts bleeding through). But this is just a calculated guess, don't quote me on it. :)

My Mobius is still in transit, made quite interesting "turns" during transit, was getting worried about not recieving update since 12.9 but today it finally had updated.... still waiting for it to arrive to Finland tho :)

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #705 of 5,780
Muting the windows 10 system sounds in every profile on mobius seems to have fixed the issue, will try more tomorrow while gaming to see if it persists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back