Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 13, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #541 of 5,780
I am seeing all sorts of instability under Windows 10 using Mobius as a primary communications/listening device. Skype for Business (our campus VOIP system, completely different application from regular Skype) crashes constantly when using the Mobius as the comm device. Music Bee (Windows music player/jukebox software) also crashes periodically; more accurately it just stops playing music alltogether until I close MusicBee, set my system playback device to something other than the Mobius, restart MusicBee and then switch back to the Mobius.

Regarding 7.1 mode for music listening, beyond previous requests/discussion about a 3D setting without head tracking, there's an additional problem: Whether on 3D auto or 3D manual, the head tracking "wanders" too much. I find I have to re-center every 5-10 minutes... and this is just sitting at a computer through the work day, not using it when mobile. It's absolutely maddening!

Interesting, I am having no issues with MusicBee and I have only had to recenter my Mobius three times in the past week. This is after watching three movies, listening to about 10 hours of music in 3D mode and a few hours of Youtubing it. I don't use the mic yet so other than testing it and seeing a low volume I have no comments on that part of Mobius.

Sep 13, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #542 of 5,780
First I would like to say I’m thoroughly enjoying Mobius. The clarity of the sound is amazing.

Now the mic. Nothing but problems. Here is my setup and what I have tried.
Prior setup was PC running Discord. Sound Blaster Omni for the mic and sound out to Fostex T50RP Mk3. Mic volume in Widows 10 set to 100%. Discord setting as follows:
Input to 50%
Auto sensitivity off
Sensitivity slider at 45%
Echo cancellation on
Noise reduction on
Gain setting off

Other people in the chat report no issues with hearing me.

Setup with Mobius.
Mobius mic volume set to 100%
Mic volume in Widows 10 set to 100%. Discord setting as follows:
Input to 100%
Auto sensitivity off
Sensitivity slider at 98%
Echo cancellation off
Noise reduction off
Gain setting on

Other people in chat had to adjust their volume settings for me to 200%. They say when I start a sentence that it comes though at a ok volume level but after a few words the volume starts to lower until they can’t hear me at all.

I tried plugging the Mobius mic into the mic port on the Sound Blaster Omni (this overrides the built in mics)and setting Discord to use the Omni mic and they could not hear me (same Discord setting as when the mic was plugged into Mobius).

I bought this mic: eBerry Boundary Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone, 3.5mm Plug Stereo Desktop Mic Surface Mounted Mic for Teleconferencing, Meetings & Desktop Computer Use - Cord: 4.6ft, Item: 2 x 2 x 1 inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N10ZSV6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_IPNMBb8FRQWJT
And I plugged that mic into Mobius and used the Omni Discord settings and the other people said I was coming though loud and clear.

From my testing and what I’m seeing it almost seems like a defective mic. @Audeze if you would like I can send you my mic.

Edit: mic connected to Mobius was positioned as close to left side of my mouth as possible. In front of mouth produced breathing noise and prevents drinking without moving the mic.

Regarding your Sensitivity slider, it is a threshold for voice detection, higher means less sensitive, lower is better. Try -87db. Having the threshold so high will explain voice cutting in and out. See below for a sample sensitivity to use.

upload_2018-9-13_13-46-36.png

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #543 of 5,780
Regarding your Sensitivity slider, it is a threshold for voice detection, higher means less sensitive, lower is better. Try -87db. Having the threshold so high will explain voice cutting in and out. See below for a sample sensitivity to use.

When I started adjusting the settings going from the Omni to Mobius I had the sensitivity setting at -45db and worked my way up to -98db. Anything lower than -92db and the first part of the first word I would say was not being transmitted. Any higher than -98db and Discord showed that the mic was full open 100% of the time. Auto sensitivity was even worse at detection and cutting out. With the alternate mic plugged into Mobius I had the sensitivity set around -65db (need to verify this when I get home).

Edit: sensitivity set to -85db with the alt mic plugged in.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #544 of 5,780
Hi all,

Well, I ordered a Mobius from Scan in the UK today, due to arrive next week. This thread’s got me a bit worried about it, though, what with all the talk of hiss, off-centre stereo positioning, batteries cycling constantly, the mic being ineffective, etc.

Learning that Audeze added 2D mode as an afterthought is a bit disconcerting, too. I’m buying these solely for regular stereo usage, primarily for music production - I game
on a PS4, so surround’s not gonna happen, and I’m not at all interested in the 3D stuff. (Why would anyone want to listen to music like that? I don’t get it). Now I’m wondering if I’ve blown £300 on a set of no doubt great but mildly gimmicky gaming cans, when I’m really after a decent monitoring system.

I guess I’m hoping that someone will convincingly talk me out of cancelling my order. Is anyone here using them for production/mixing?

J

Sep 13, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #546 of 5,780
I find the 3D effect to be the most interesting part of the Mobius, the effect is amazing and feels very natural. As headphones with 3D disabled I feel it’s just ok. For stereo production/mixing there should be better headphones in the same price range.

Yes, I’d imagine there are, but I do want them for general listening as well, and use with the PS4, so that versatility is appealing. I’m just not fussed about the 3D thing. More importantly, though, I’m getting jittery about all the issues being discussed...

“Just okay”, though? Really? That’s rather at odds with the praise people seem to be heaping on their stereo performance in this thread.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #547 of 5,780
Yes, I’d imagine there are, but I do want them for general listening as well, and use with the PS4, so that versatility is appealing. I’m just not fussed about the 3D thing. More importantly, though, I’m getting jittery about all the issues being discussed...

“Just okay”, though? Really? That’s rather at odds with the praise people seem to be heaping on their stereo performance in this thread.

They are good in 2d mode. I think "Just ok" is a little misleading and wrong but hey. I am happy with them. I only use them for music and some light gaming. They sound very nice and i dont regret buying them (at the discount price). I think they hold their own with other similarly priced headphones.

I have no hiss on mine. Mic would be nice if it worked flawlessly (on windows 7) but i'll never use it. 3d mode kind of annoys me. Maybe i'll try it for movies but i currently dislike it for music.

Sep 13, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #548 of 5,780
I bought mine for one and only one purpose.....watching 7.1 content from my HTPC at night when the rest of my family is asleep. At that, they are brilliant, and well worth it IMHO.

Sep 13, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #549 of 5,780
Hi all,

Well, I ordered a Mobius from Scan in the UK today, due to arrive next week. This thread’s got me a bit worried about it, though, what with all the talk of hiss, off-centre stereo positioning, batteries cycling constantly, the mic being ineffective, etc.

Learning that Audeze added 2D mode as an afterthought is a bit disconcerting, too. I’m buying these solely for regular stereo usage, primarily for music production - I game
on a PS4, so surround’s not gonna happen, and I’m not at all interested in the 3D stuff. (Why would anyone want to listen to music like that? I don’t get it). Now I’m wondering if I’ve blown £300 on a set of no doubt great but mildly gimmicky gaming cans, when I’m really after a decent monitoring system.

I guess I’m hoping that someone will convincingly talk me out of cancelling my order. Is anyone here using them for production/mixing?

J

They sound great and are accurate in 2D mode via USB. But if you’re not interested in any of the features of Mobius maybe you’d be better-suited with a LCD headphone if you don’t need a closed-back headphone. At $399 for an Audeze closed-back they hold themselves well. It has also received rave reviews for production due to the flat response.

Side thought: I wonder which headphone Audeze considers its absolute best for consumer music-listening.

Sep 13, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #550 of 5,780

They are good in 2d mode. I think "Just ok" is a little misleading and wrong

Probably I need to elaborate more in that "just ok". By "just ok" I mean they sound fine, nothing wrong, but nothing spectacular. I've other headphones that I enjoy more for the standard stereo experience.

Sep 13, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #551 of 5,780
Hi all,
Learning that Audeze added 2D mode as an afterthought is a bit disconcerting, too.
Sorry, you misunderstood what we were trying to say. It was not 2D mode, but a specific 2 Channel USB mode was added for PS4 compatibility. Hi-Res mode (also 2 Channel), 3D Off (2 Channel) and Stereo with 3D was always present in the design. Some devices (USB Mobile phones and PS4) had trouble recognizing 8 channel USB devices. So this was added purely for USB compatibility reasons.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 13, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #552 of 5,780
Hi all,

J

You can always wait if you are overly concerned but I can attest that the sound is great, the 3D works well and viewing movies with the Mobius is awesome. I have had no issues with hiss, batteries or off-centering. I mentioned in a prior post that I have re-centered around 3 times in probably 20 hours of movie watching and multiple music listening sessions.

Sep 13, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #553 of 5,780
Hi. I noticed when I removed my right ear cup that there's a small puncture/indent mark on the diaphragm (sorry if that's not the right term). Is this normal and will it effect function/durability at all? Sorry if it turns out I'm worrying too much, but I don't know how much an imperfection like this will effect a planar magnetic headphone.
7eDIlho.jpg
should be ok if sounds ok.

Sep 13, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #554 of 5,780
I snagged a pair from a fellow member for the early bird pricing with the travel case. I've been using them for a few days for some casual gaming and also listening to music. Overall not a bad experience so far. The 3d and head tracking is pretty cool, but does take away some clarity to sounds. My old gaming setup is a Creative G5 and Philips X2s. That has clarity and a rather large soundstage. The Mobius is a bit different in its presentation.

With music, while connected via USB and in hi-res mode is damn good. Especially for the price. Very balanced sound while using default eq.

Using 3d manual while watching David Gilmore live in Pompeii was a very unique experience. I was pretty convincing of a stereo speaker setup.

I haven't used the mic yet, but testing shows it's not the best. I pretty much have to yell for it to show an acceptable range in Win10.

My only real gripe so far is bluetooth strength. I connected it to my Apple 4k which is maybe 10ft away with a direct line of sight. I get constant audio cutouts. Kind of a bummer as I was hoping to use this for late night movie's.

I'll update more in the future.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #555 of 5,780
I snagged a pair from a fellow member for the early bird pricing with the travel case. I've been using them for a few days for some casual gaming and also listening to music. Overall not a bad experience so far. The 3d and head tracking is pretty cool, but does take away some clarity to sounds. My old gaming setup is a Creative G5 and Philips X2s. That has clarity and a rather large soundstage. The Mobius is a bit different in its presentation.

With music, while connected via USB and in hi-res mode is damn good. Especially for the price. Very balanced sound while using default eq.

Using 3d manual while watching David Gilmore live in Pompeii was a very unique experience. I was pretty convincing of a stereo speaker setup.

I haven't used the mic yet, but testing shows it's not the best. I pretty much have to yell for it to show an acceptable range in Win10.

My only real gripe so far is bluetooth strength. I connected it to my Apple 4k which is maybe 10ft away with a direct line of sight. I get constant audio cutouts. Kind of a bummer as I was hoping to use this for late night movie's.

I'll update more in the future.

Definitely not my experience with Bluetooth strength. They don’t cut out anywhere in my house, across walls, second floor, etc. There’s probably some sort of issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back