Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 12, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #526 of 5,780
Anyone tested it with Discord on PC? That's where the mic would be used most of the time for me.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #529 of 5,780
I assume you've played around with the many settings under Voice & Video in settings.

Sep 12, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #530 of 5,780
FWIW, USB headsets being low volume on PS4 is a common issue. I know Steelseries had a firmware update to solve it with the Arctis 7s (wireless, but they use a USB dongle), but general googling around shows it comes up a lot.

That's what I found out too researching it, that it was quite common with PS4, but someone responded to me saying they didn't have any problem with Mobius using USB with PS4 and they could get it really loud beyond comfort for them. They where using it with the PS4 volume control relatively low compared to me maxing it out and having low volume. However, discussing volume level is still very subjective, everyone could have a different take on it. I also don't know if there might be a difference between PS4 vs PS4 Pro either?

I have PS4 Pro, but I don't think there would be a difference. Who know's, but Mobius is unusable with USB to PS4 for me, volume is way to low compared to what I like it at. Which is a shame because I like the audio quality to PS4 with USB, just needs to be much louder. I hope @Audeze can make a firmware update at some point in the future to allow the ability to manually adjust Mobius' amp volume with 2CH mode for PS4 to resolve this issue.

I also like others with the Mic noticed that on the PS4 I had to have it very close to my mouth to pick up anything. I have to have the mic volume slider on PS4 very high and then still when I speak it either goes way up in the high range on the meter or isn't picked up, I can't get it to adjust right in the nice middle range. I do think it is the ambient noise filter turned up way to much and we need a setting in the app to dial it back a little.

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #531 of 5,780
Anyone tested it with Discord on PC? That's where the mic would be used most of the time for me.
Yes. We have tested it with Discord and Discord (the company) did the testing as well. Mobius is Discord certified. We have noticed some customers having issues with the mic. We have reached out to them to see what is the cause.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 13, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #533 of 5,780
So far these headphones are fantastic. I'm only have one big problem. The clamping force and pressure on top of the head makes them very uncomfortable for me. Like I have to take a break every 30 minutes.

I've looked around and there isn't any confirmation on this but is it possible to swap the pads?

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #534 of 5,780
since hearing breathing noises and sidetone when the mic is at near full volume seems to be the major problem (when its below about 70% it tends to cut off voice unless you talk loud or keep it really close to mouth) would adding a foam wind guard to it solve most of the problems, cause you can keep it at 100% with less sidetone and breathing? Do other microphones work with the mobius? can you just plug it in? do they have the same problem?

Sep 13, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #535 of 5,780
Hi. I noticed when I removed my right ear cup that there's a small puncture/indent mark on the diaphragm (sorry if that's not the right term). Is this normal and will it effect function/durability at all? Sorry if it turns out I'm worrying too much, but I don't know how much an imperfection like this will effect a planar magnetic headphone.
7eDIlho.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #536 of 5,780

I've gone through a couple of PUBG + Discord sessions with a few other folks. Initial comments from them were that I seemed quieter than before (HE-4xx + Modmic), and that there was a lot of nose-breathing coming through. I pushed the mic further out from my face and turned up the input volume on the headset, nobody had any complaints after that.

Sep 13, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #537 of 5,780
Yes. We have tested it with Discord and Discord (the company) did the testing as well. Mobius is Discord certified. We have noticed some customers having issues with the mic. We have reached out to them to see what is the cause.

Having issues still after speaking with support. A local friend is having the exact same issue. Haven't had anyone reach out to me about this issue. Should I just call support back?

So far these headphones are fantastic. I'm only have one big problem. The clamping force and pressure on top of the head makes them very uncomfortable for me. Like I have to take a break every 30 minutes.

I've looked around and there isn't any confirmation on this but is it possible to swap the pads?

I hope so, Velour pads are much more breathable and comfortable. I use those for longer sessions on some of my other ones. @Audeze Are they swappable?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #538 of 5,780

First I would like to say I’m thoroughly enjoying Mobius. The clarity of the sound is amazing.

Now the mic. Nothing but problems. Here is my setup and what I have tried.
Prior setup was PC running Discord. Sound Blaster Omni for the mic and sound out to Fostex T50RP Mk3. Mic volume in Widows 10 set to 100%. Discord setting as follows:
Input to 50%
Auto sensitivity off
Sensitivity slider at 45%
Echo cancellation on
Noise reduction on
Gain setting off

Other people in the chat report no issues with hearing me.

Setup with Mobius.
Mobius mic volume set to 100%
Mic volume in Widows 10 set to 100%. Discord setting as follows:
Input to 100%
Auto sensitivity off
Sensitivity slider at 98%
Echo cancellation off
Noise reduction off
Gain setting on

Other people in chat had to adjust their volume settings for me to 200%. They say when I start a sentence that it comes though at a ok volume level but after a few words the volume starts to lower until they can’t hear me at all.

I tried plugging the Mobius mic into the mic port on the Sound Blaster Omni (this overrides the built in mics)and setting Discord to use the Omni mic and they could not hear me (same Discord setting as when the mic was plugged into Mobius).

I bought this mic: eBerry Boundary Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone, 3.5mm Plug Stereo Desktop Mic Surface Mounted Mic for Teleconferencing, Meetings & Desktop Computer Use - Cord: 4.6ft, Item: 2 x 2 x 1 inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N10ZSV6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_IPNMBb8FRQWJT
And I plugged that mic into Mobius and used the Omni Discord settings and the other people said I was coming though loud and clear.

From my testing and what I’m seeing it almost seems like a defective mic. @Audeze if you would like I can send you my mic.

Edit: mic connected to Mobius was positioned as close to left side of my mouth as possible. In front of mouth produced breathing noise and prevents drinking without moving the mic.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #539 of 5,780
I am seeing all sorts of instability under Windows 10 using Mobius as a primary communications/listening device. Skype for Business (our campus VOIP system, completely different application from regular Skype) crashes constantly when using the Mobius as the comm device. Music Bee (Windows music player/jukebox software) also crashes periodically; more accurately it just stops playing music alltogether until I close MusicBee, set my system playback device to something other than the Mobius, restart MusicBee and then switch back to the Mobius.

Regarding 7.1 mode for music listening, beyond previous requests/discussion about a 3D setting without head tracking, there's an additional problem: Whether on 3D auto or 3D manual, the head tracking "wanders" too much. I find I have to re-center every 5-10 minutes... and this is just sitting at a computer through the work day, not using it when mobile. It's absolutely maddening!

Sep 13, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #540 of 5,780
They say when I start a sentence that it comes though at a ok volume level but after a few words the volume starts to lower until they can’t hear me at all.

I've noticed this exact same behavior while testing my mic in the Windows sound recorder, if that helps Audeze narrow down the source of the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back