Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 8, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #421 of 5,780
My Shanling M3S has a USB-C port as well, to charge and to connect to my computer for transfers. I've tried plugging Mobius to it yesterday, but the headphone defaults into Bluetooth mode. M3S has a bluetooth option too (including hi-res), which works excellent with Mobius, but I was curious about using USB-C connection. Did your Mobius automatically work in USB mode with your Onkyo DAP? I'll double check settings in M3S.
Edit: I found that I had to switch USB mode from "USB" to "DAC" in M3S. Unfortunately when headphones are connected and properly recognized as "USB" connection, no sound comes through.
Try with the Mobius in 2 Channel mode. We created it for compatibility with mobile devices

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 8, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #422 of 5,780
Sorry if this has been talked about already, but has anyone else had an issue with the 3D mode not able to turn on? I've had mine about a week, and sometimes the 3D works fine. But others, the 3D button won't do anything, and I can't even get it to change modes between 2 channel or hi-res etc. I'll power off and restart, and sometimes that fixes it.

I love the sound though, and love all the different things this headphone can do.

Sep 8, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #423 of 5,780
@Audeze : Is there a "safe" input power for Mobius? I've just made a mistake of using it through an amp via AUX, and wow... (read: i liked the result)

P.S.: I think I was hasty in deciding to let go of my SINE set-up. I've done some more play-testing on SINE + Cayin C5 amp + Shanling M3s and various combinations of Mobius (including with Cayin C5). Cayin C5 is just an incredible little amp with both headphones. It makes the music more life-like. I use it in high gain with bass boost on, and I'm not a bass-head that much--it's just that it balances out the crisp and flat sound of M3s just perfectly and adds a very powerful tone to all frequencies with Sine, and as it turns out also subjectively enhances Mobius. While Mobius has the 3D advantage which can be interesting for music playback, as well as larger soundstage, I find the music more immersive with my SINE combo, while Mobius on its own is more analytical. The SINE set up makes me hold my breath sometimes for how perfectly it plays and almost gives me goose bumps. Very subjective, I know. I will consider just swapping the SINE for Mobius and keeping Cayin C5 + M3s for pure music experience on the go. Mobius has distinct advantages over SINE in terms of wireless bluetooth and on my desktop via USB + microphone option.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #424 of 5,780
Sorry if this has been talked about already, but has anyone else had an issue with the 3D mode not able to turn on? I've had mine about a week, and sometimes the 3D works fine. But others, the 3D button won't do anything, and I can't even get it to change modes between 2 channel or hi-res etc. I'll power off and restart, and sometimes that fixes it.

I love the sound though, and love all the different things this headphone can do.
The 3D algorithms are enabled only if the input signal is under 48 Khz. Beyond 48 Khz (in Hi-Res mode) the 3D gets switched off.
There are two scenarios where this could happen. 1. Hires Mode is enabled and the entire processing has been switched to 96 Khz mode. 2. LDAC is enabled on bluetooth and the host (mobile phone) sets the bluetooth mode to Hires (96 Khz).
For the second case, you can switch the android OS to use 48 Khz LDAC mode and you can still get 3D processing.

When operating in Bluetooth mode, the host determines and controls the modes on the Mobius. For example it can choose AAC, SBC or LDAC. Under LDAC the host can also specify, the bit rate, sampling freq. etc. So in BT mode, we disable the manual functions, since the device is working in slave mode.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 8, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #425 of 5,780
I'm baffled to be honest. A few other things have come to mind though. Which USB port are you using on the PS4? I think I've read before about one port performing better than another with different peripherals.

That said, it doesn't explain the AUX connection to the DS4. I know it probably sounds silly to mention , but I do recall the first time I used it when I first got my PS4, I thought I pushed the plug all the way in, but the sound was quiet and hollow. Once I actually seated the plug all the way into the jack, then the sound worked as expected.

Sorry if I'm seemingly grasping at straws, but I'm just trying to consider any and all possibilities.

No worries, I'm quite baffled too, by the AUX in particular. Yes, I have tried switching back and forth between the front two USB ports because I have also read about them varying for people, but they both performed the same, never tried the rear port but I doubt it would be different.

With AUX though I have tried both DS4 controller and a SCUF Impact controller, both same results (with audio transmitted in USB & Bluetooth modes), when I turn up the volume on Mobius to max Mobius's background noise is actually overpowering Destiny 2's background music in orbit. Then I plugged the LCD-2C into DS4 with Audeze's 1/4in to 3.5mm adapter and it's a little louder than Mobius without the background noise. That is what makes no sense to me, the DS4 has an amp in it to directly drive headphones and does with LCD-2C (not well though, its way underpowered and also to quiet for gaming at the volume level I like, I normally use 6W Lyr 2 for gaming with them), so with Mobius also having its own amp the signal is being double amplified, there should theoretically be no volume issues whatsoever, I should be able to blast them out, but I can't there relatively low volume to me.

Now I can use Mobius in AUX with my PS4, but that requires using a dedicated balanced DAC & preamp plugged into PS4 optical and converting balanced XLR to unbalance 3.5mm line level with a ART CLEANBoxPro which has a 3.5mm line level out port. Then I can use Mobius AUX at about half volume level at the level I like gaming with. I just wish I didn't have to use such a complicated work around.

Ultimately, I don't think its an issue with Mobius because it works great with anything else I use them with, I think it's a Sony PS4 side issue for the USB, with AUX I have no idea it just doesn't make any sense too me.

Sep 8, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #426 of 5,780
After many trials and tribulations, I finally received my Mobius yesterday (backer # 56). Initial indications are quite positive. The head tracking is funky, but in a good way. I like the spatialization adjustability via the Windows software.

They're a bit bass light for me, but I haven't started fiddling with EQ yet.

In preparation for the Mobius I also upgraded my phone from a Galaxy S7 Edge to an LG V30, which just arrived this afternoon. Am in the process of configuring now. Will be interesting to compare the Mobius via LDAC Bluetooth vs. the quad-DAC USB-C.

Sooooo many configuration/setting/filtering/EQ option configurations to try out.

Sep 8, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #428 of 5,780
Sep 8, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #429 of 5,780
No worries, I'm quite baffled too, by the AUX in particular. Yes, I have tried switching back and forth between the front two USB ports because I have also read about them varying for people, but they both performed the same, never tried the rear port but I doubt it would be different.

With AUX though I have tried both DS4 controller and a SCUF Impact controller, both same results (with audio transmitted in USB & Bluetooth modes), when I turn up the volume on Mobius to max Mobius's background noise is actually overpowering Destiny 2's background music in orbit. Then I plugged the LCD-2C into DS4 with Audeze's 1/4in to 3.5mm adapter and it's a little louder than Mobius without the background noise. That is what makes no sense to me, the DS4 has an amp in it to directly drive headphones and does with LCD-2C (not well though, its way underpowered and also to quiet for gaming at the volume level I like, I normally use 6W Lyr 2 for gaming with them), so with Mobius also having its own amp the signal is being double amplified, there should theoretically be no volume issues whatsoever, I should be able to blast them out, but I can't there relatively low volume to me.

Now I can use Mobius in AUX with my PS4, but that requires using a dedicated balanced DAC & preamp plugged into PS4 optical and converting balanced XLR to unbalance 3.5mm line level with a ART CLEANBoxPro which has a 3.5mm line level out port. Then I can use Mobius AUX at about half volume level at the level I like gaming with. I just wish I didn't have to use such a complicated work around.

Ultimately, I don't think its an issue with Mobius because it works great with anything else I use them with, I think it's a Sony PS4 side issue for the USB, with AUX I have no idea it just doesn't make any sense too me.

Yeah, that definitely sounds like an over-complicated setup.

Something just occurred to me... as I mentioned earlier, Mobius' volume wheel doesn't adjust volume via USB to PS4, but I THINK the wheel does work via AUX (I'm not home right now to check).

*Edit* Wait, nevermind. Just reread your comment and saw you're already turning up the Mobius' volume too under AUX. Darn it.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #430 of 5,780
Hello, this is my first post on Head-Fi! I've been following the discussions here since the Indiegogo campaign started, while I eagerly awaited the arrival of my Mobius. It just showed up yesterday, and I've spent the better part of yesterday evening and today listening to it.

Most of my time with them so far has been spent listening to music in 2-channel hi-res mode with the default sound profile (both via USB on my PC, and LDAC on my phone) as well as some games in 7.1 3D mode with the music sound profile. My primary headphones for the last 5 years or so have been the HD650, so that's my main point of comparison (if you don't like that I'm comparing an open wired headphone to a closed wireless headphone, well, too bad. :) These are my impressions, not a professional review). Since it's been such a big topic of discussion around these headphones, I'll also point out that I don't hear any hiss, even when nothing's playing through them, but I do have mild tinnitus, so I was never really expecting to be able to hear it.

The first things I noticed when I started listening to the Mobius are that they have a bit more energy in the highs and upper mids than the HD650 (which took a little getting used to, but I wouldn't call them bright. The 650's just have an overly gentle high end, which my tinnitus appreciates) the bass digs down noticeably deeper and has more punch to it, and they just sound more clear and revealing overall. In short, they sound phenomenal. I don't think the Mobius is going to replace the HD650 completely for me, and if for no reason other than the fact that they're an open headphone that lets my ears breathe while I'm wearing them, I'll be keeping the HD650 around as my default headphone that I keep on my head all day long, but when it comes time for serious music listening, movie watching, or game playing, I'll be reaching for the Mobius for sure.

I spent some time listening to music on my phone via Bluetooth/LDAC, and they sounded great. I didn't do any back-to-back comparisons, but from the little bit of casual listening I did, I didn't notice any clear differences between LDAC on my phone and USB on my PC. Very, very impressive. Having headphones that sound this good that I can move around the house with, or take with me on trips, without needing to deal with wires, is kind of a game changer, and it's going to make me feel a lot less bad about losing my phone's headphone jack when I upgrade my Nexus 5X to a Pixel 3 next month. Now I just need to find some good wireless IEMs.

3D mode has been more of a mixed bag for me. Battle for Azeroth has sucked me hard back into WoW, so I've spent quite a bit of time using the Mobius while playing that. The 7.1 surround mode sounds excellent, and the surround effect is very convincing. It really is like having a surround sound speaker system in my room. That being said, I've run into what may end up being a fatal flaw: Drift. As long as I keep my head facing forward without too much movement, the tracking is pretty stable, but the problem is that I have a three monitor setup, so I'm constantly turning my head to look at things on my other two monitors, and that causes the tracking to drift and go out of alignment very quickly. It does this on both 3D Manual mode and 3D Auto mode (which only seem to re-center itself after larger head movements than I make while turning to look at my other monitors). Unfortunately, at least for my use case, this turns what should be a killer feature into more of an (admittedly very impressive) gimmick that I probably won't be getting much use out of, which is too bad.

Still, based on sound quality alone, I'd be happy with these for $400, and I'm ecstatic with them for $260. Add the value of the wireless portability, and I almost feel like I've ripped Audeze off for what I paid for them. These are my first planar headphones (as I suspect they will be for a lot of people) and as far as introductions to a new type of headphones goes, these put on a great showing. The 3D mode not working very well for me is a pretty big disappointment, but overall, I'm still happy that I bought them.

Sep 8, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #431 of 5,780
Anyone plugged their mobius into a USB reclocker yet?

Sep 8, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #432 of 5,780
Hello, this is my first post on Head-Fi! I've been following the discussions here since the Indiegogo campaign started, while I eagerly awaited the arrival of my Mobius. It just showed up yesterday, and I've spent the better part of yesterday evening and today listening to it.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The more diverse the user base giving reviews the better.

Sep 8, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #433 of 5,780
Can you name productions mastered that quiet?
Even when mastered to the current EBU R128 standard the target level is -23dBFS RMS, in fact no big change for classical music to what we had before.

There can be only one! Now, if you're talking -30dBFS, then there's more stuff. Under -23dB? My last stats run yielded 200 albums going lower.

Edit: That one album is also the only album where the 16-bit A/D loop could be detected in the famous Boston Audio Society SACD test.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #434 of 5,780
How is the sound outputted via the PlayStation 4 controller? Xbox One streams uncompressed audio. I would use the USB output but since I’m using with my home theater and not a monitor at a desk it’s not ideal. Maybe would be worth it if Sony allowed 5.1/7.1 via USB (in the future?). Haven’t played a game in five years but Spider-Man is intriguing me since it’s my favorite IP by my favorite developer. I still remember the days of playing Spider-Man 2 on the PlayStation 2. That was a truly innovative game.

Sep 8, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #435 of 5,780
@Audeze Wanted to get some help on some stuff if you don't mind!

1. The mic volume seems extremely low. Right now under microphone properties, the level is set to 100. Under custom, "loudness" is unchecked, not sure what its for tbh. The only time the mic is at a decent level is if I max the mic out (which I prefer not to do as I don't really like sidetone) and if I talk very close to the mic. Problem with speaking so close though it picks up my breathing as well as the "pops." Currently the "Audeze" logo is facing outwards with the microphone logo facing inwards towards my mouth.
2. I have a tendency to put my computer to sleep when not in use rather than shutting it down. The mobius is connected 24/7 via usb on my monitor. I never manually shut down the mobius as I thought there is a automatic shut off. Everytime I wake my computer to use the headphones, the left side of the headphones is already warm to touch even though the computer was asleep. Do you advise that I actually manually turn off the comp or manually turn off the headphones?
3. Every time I fully shut down the Mobius and then turn them on, it seems to forget the settings and just defaults to "3D 8CH" even though the last mode I had used was Hi-Res.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back