Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 6, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #346 of 5,780
I thought planar magnetic were easier to drive in general, so I didn't think the Micca Origin would have any issues. I guess its debatable in some circles.

People debate this stuff all day long due to audio subjectivity but that is just science. It will get loud enough, too loud if you let it. Most of the time when people talk about amps making a huge difference, they are listening at a different volume level than they were previously (volume matching). Okay I am going to stop being off topic.

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #347 of 5,780
The LCD2C specs are: 101dB/1mw (at Drum Reference Point)

Meaning all it takes is 1mw to reach 101dB to your ear (ear damage), they are not hard to drive and a Micca Origin 2 will be plenty.

I am not sure he mentioned LCD-2C or not but I am sure you are just trolling, the other thread has been drama enough so please spread your anti amp speech somewhere else.

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #348 of 5,780
The LCD2C specs are: 101dB/1mw (at Drum Reference Point)

Meaning all it takes is 1mw to reach 101dB to your ear (ear damage), they are not hard to drive and a Micca Origin 2 will be plenty.

You are missing the 70 ohms Impedance spec, and the recommended power level 1 - 4W. LCD-2's scale well with more power particularly in the low end. The Micca Origin 2 doesn't have anywhere close to the power to properly drive the LCD-2's.

I first tried driving LCD-2's with my Marantz HD-DAC1 with 800mw at 32 ohms and the bass was not what I was expecting, jumped up to xDuoo TA-01 at 2.1W and it was a substantial improvement, than up to Lyr 2 at 6W even better, now I'm using Mjolnir 2 balanced at 8W a huge improvement, but keep In mind these ratings are at 32 ohms not 70 ohms of LCD-2, I figure I'm currently somewhere around 3-4w RMS at 70 ohms going into them.

I thought planar magnetic were easier to drive in general, so I didn't think the Micca Origin would have any issues. I guess its debatable in some circles.

You have it backwards, planar's are current hungry and far harder to drive than dynamic headphones. I think the problem you had with the LCD-2's highs was because there is not enough current to get the Lows & Mids how they should be with the Micca Origin 2 you were using. People used to use small speaker amps to power LCD-2's. I find the Mobius to be brighter than the LCD-2, closer to the Sines with more low end power.

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #349 of 5,780
You are missing the 70 ohms Impedance spec, and the recommended power level 1 - 4W. LCD-2's scale well with more power particularly in the low end. The Micca Origin 2 doesn't have anywhere close to the power to properly drive the LCD-2's.

I first tried driving LCD-2's with my Marantz HD-DAC1 with 800mw at 32 ohms and the bass was not what I was expecting, jumped up to xDuoo TA-01 at 2.1W and it was a substantial improvement, than up to Lyr 2 at 6W even better, now I'm using Mjolnir 2 balanced at 8W a huge improvement, but keep In mind these ratings are at 32 ohms not 70 ohms of LCD-2, I figure I'm currently somewhere around 3-4w RMS at 70 ohms going into them.

You have it backwards, planar's are current hungry and far harder to drive than dynamic headphones. I think the problem you had with the LCD-2's highs was because there is not enough current to get the Lows & Mids how they should be with the Micca Origin 2 you were using. People used to use small speaker amps to power LCD-2's. I find the Mobius to be brighter than the LCD-2, closer to the Sines with more low end power.

70Ohms is nothing. An HD 650 is 300Ohms and has a similar sensitivity, they also, are not hard to drive due to their sensitivity.

You have amps that are capable of 8W but you are not getting close, if you were, your ears would be gone. There is a reason why a volume knob exists on an amp.

If you feed a headphone that has 101dB/1mw sensitivity, 1mw of power, you get 101dB, which is way louder than you should be listening.

Clearly this has gone off topic so I am done, I suggest reading up on headphone sensitivity and why it is more important than Ohms.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #350 of 5,780

typically planar magnetics are harder to drive. but there are definitely exception to this.

from Micca:
The power output is a function of voltage and current. The OriGen provides 1.7Vrms or 5.6Vrms in low and high gain modes respectively, and has nominal current of 70mA output, 100mA peak. For low impedance headphones, the power output is constrained by current. For high impedance headphones, the power output is constrained by voltage.

Lets take the example of 32 Ohms. Max power output is provided at 70mA, or 2.24Vrms, for output of about 157mW.

250Ohms, max power output is at 5.6Vrms, which results in 22.4mA, for output of about 125mW.

600Ohms, max power output is again at 5.6Vrms, which results in 9.3mA, for output of about 52mW.

By providing both the max voltage and current capabilities of the amplifier, it just takes math to calculate the expected max power into any given pair of headphones.

doing the math, at high gain, the micca origen has less than half the power of the Mobius internal amp. (0.448 W vs 1W if i did my math correctly)

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #351 of 5,780
Hello all. I’ve been listening to the Mobius for about three days and count me as one of the many here that really enjoy the sound, and tech. I don’t game but rather use the Mobius for listenin to music and some Movie watching.The head tracking is smile inducing when you first hear it. And the 3D emulation has been a refreshing way to listen to music. I look forward to being able to refine the reverb and depth when Audeze drops the app for MacOS.
As others have stated the headphones are relatively light for a planar. Much lighter than my LCD2 or EL8, mostly do to the plastic materials used. The plastic and paint look sharp to this artists eyes. The touch of the cups, soft and grippy, adds to the experience every time I put them on.
To my ears, the Mobius sound signature on default setting is more present in the highs than the LCD2. The Mobius bass is punchy and deep but lacks the power of the LCD2. I do prefer its bass quality and quantity to the EL8 & Monolith M1060. Btw on some songs I don’t hear the Mobius as accurate in the highs as the LCD2 but then I probably shouldn’t considering the price difference.
The soundstage is decent with 3D off. With 3D on its expansive sound. Again I look forward to being able to adjust the 3D effect. The imaging on Mobius is fairly close to EL8s. Again I feel the LCD2 is better here as well but the Mobius still lets you know where things are in space. It’s very satisfying. I’ve been using these for my commute to work on a Metro train, about 1hr45mins and they feel good on my head. They don’t block out the same amount of sound that my Shure se846 do but they are not supposed to. The train is LOUD.

Attachments

• 08125E4D-3ECA-4794-A4FA-EB6719950B45.jpeg
    08125E4D-3ECA-4794-A4FA-EB6719950B45.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Sep 6, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #352 of 5,780
Oh and the folks at Audeze have been great at returning emails. Btw I'm sure someone has mentioned this but the serial number is under the right ear cup. The tabs at the side of the ear piece help with detaching the pad and plastic surround.

Attachments

• 126B2752-1B2D-4039-9E1E-75EA35E71881.jpeg
    126B2752-1B2D-4039-9E1E-75EA35E71881.jpeg
    974.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 9B0F1C40-45B2-4DAC-B936-BCBC1E4D188D.jpeg
    9B0F1C40-45B2-4DAC-B936-BCBC1E4D188D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Sep 6, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #353 of 5,780
The more I'm listening to these headphones, the more I just want to stick to 2CH Hires mode (via USB cable on my PC), and skip the 3D stuff for listening to 2CH stuff. They sound really good as traditional headphones, the speaker emulation kind of ruins the sound, and I don't find the head tracking adding much to the experience, even with 7.1 audio (it isn't convincing to me, and being able to turn in the direction of a sound isn't compelling to me [and looking away from the screen?], although the idea makes sense [anchoring the sound to the real world]). I thought that I wanted "the speaker experience," but it doesn't seem that I do. I also have to say that I am extremely happy that they decided not to mimic the LCD-2's sound, haha. Very, very good sound for the $249 I paid for it, and, hey, it can operate wirelessly, too!

As a side note, for people who really want 7.1 speaker emulation without head tracking, it is possible to use the $10 Waves Nx app (https://www.waves.com/nx/mac-windows-app for a free 30-day trial) for Windows (also available for Mac) with 2CH Hires (and standard 2CH mode, if you want lower quality sound for some reason) mode. I've enjoyed using the app with my other headphones, but not so much with the Mobius.

Sep 6, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #354 of 5,780
The more I'm listening to these headphones, the more I just want to stick to 2CH Hires mode (via USB cable on my PC), and skip the 3D stuff for listening to 2CH audio. They sound really good as traditional headphones, the speaker emulation kind of ruins the sound, and I don't find the head tracking adding much to the experience, even with 7.1 audio. It just isn't convincing to me, and being able to turn in the direction of a sound isn't compelling to me (and looking away from the screen is kind of stupid), although the idea makes sense (anchoring the sound to the real world). I thought that I wanted "the speaker experience," but it doesn't seem that I do. I also have to say that I am extremely happy that they decided not to mimic the LCD-2's sound, haha. Very, very good sound for the $249 I paid for it, and, hey, it can operate wirelessly, too!

As a side note, for people who really want 7.1 speaker emulation without head tracking, it is possible to use the $10 Waves Nx app (https://www.waves.com/nx/mac-windows-app for a free 30-day trial) for Windows (also available for Mac) with 2CH Hires (and standard 2CH mode, if you want lower quality sound for some reason) mode. I've enjoyed using the app with my other headphones, but not so much with the Mobius.

I've definitely been sticking to Hires mode the most when listening. I will still switch to 8ch when watching Netflix. I think it sounds pretty good in my opinion.

Sep 6, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #355 of 5,780
I've definitely been sticking to Hires mode the most when listening. I will still switch to 8ch when watching Netflix. I think it sounds pretty good in my opinion.
I also enjoy watching sporting events with the 8ch mode because it feels more expansive which just sounds right to me, even if it is 2 channels only.

Sep 6, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #356 of 5,780
So I just fired up netflix and the sound in 5.1 is way off. the soundtrack sounds okay but all the sound effects and dialogue are severely muted. I switch the audio in netflix to 2.0 and it sounds normal. Anyone have any ideas?

**edit. I just unplugged them and plugged them back in. Everything is good now

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #357 of 5,780
Would Mobius work with televisions in 5.1 and 7.1? Or are the 5.1 and 7.1 only for watching on a PC connected to usb? My TV only has Optical and HDMI audio out for the built in movie streaming apps like Netflix. I prefer to watch from my TV since picture quality is the best with HDR.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #358 of 5,780
Bluetooth 5.0 adds some new modes that increase range or bandwidth, but only in Bluetooth Low Energy mode, which isn't used for transmitting high quality audio. In other words, BT 5.0 does nothing for a headphone

I don’t know if that’s true since the range of Mobius rivals even my W1 headphones. In fact it probably has the longest range out of any Bluetooth headphone I’ve tested. I can literally walk anywhere in my house without it cutting out.

Sep 6, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #359 of 5,780
Would Mobius work with televisions in 5.1 and 7.1? Or are the 5.1 and 7.1 only for watching on a PC connected to usb? My TV only has Optical and HDMI audio out for the built in movie streaming apps like Netflix. I prefer to watch from my TV since picture quality is the best with HDR.

You would need to find a way to output audio from optical or HDMI to USB in 5.1/7.1. Options are limited if not nonexistent.

Sep 6, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #360 of 5,780
I don’t know if that’s true since the range of Mobius rivals even my W1 headphones. In fact it probably has the longest range out of any Bluetooth headphone I’ve tested. I can literally walk anywhere in my house without it cutting out.
That wouldn't have anything to do with BT 5.0 if that's the case. There's nothing in the spec that changes anything in Bluetooth Classic (which is used for audio) that would affect range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back