Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 7, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #376 of 5,780
Mobius with PS4 First Impression:

The other thing that I was playing around with last night that kind of annoys me but is not really the Mobius's fault at all, is gaming with USB connection to PS4, the volume is way to low for me. The Mobius's volume wheel does nothing and I put the PS4 headphone volume setting set to max but the volume is so low that when playing Destiny 2 I don't really feel the bass impact of explosions at all or really feel in the action, it's just too quiet. Also, plugging into PS4 controller via AUX has same issue with both PS4 & Mobius volumes set to max.

I did some research and other people have had the same issue with other USB gaming headphones with PS4, it appears to be a problem on Sony's side and they have never dealt with it. So, unfortunately I find using Mobius USB mode with PS4 doesn't work for me, so I am using AUX mode plugged into a ART CLEANBoxPro that has a 3.5mm line level output. My chain is PS4 Pro or Xbox One X (Optical Out) > Optical Switch > Gungnir Multibit > Mjolnir 2 > ART CLEANBoxPro > Mobius (AUX). Using the Mjolnir 2 at half volume gives the Mobius enough room to be able to use its volume wheel to adjust it at the level I like.

Oh wow, surprised to hear you're experiencing that. I've only been using USB on PS4 and the Mobius gets crazy loud. You're correct that the Mobius' volume wheel does nothing. But on the Quick Menu volume control, I find 4-5 bars filled is more than enough. By comparison, when I used to plug my SportaPros into the DS4 headphone jack, I had the volume closer to the middle at around 12-15 bars filled. Are you by chance in party or game chat while playing? There's that slider to adjust audio between game sounds and chat audio. If you have it set more towards chat audio, that would reduce the game's volume. Otherwise, you might have your audio level turned down in Destiny?

Sep 7, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #377 of 5,780
Oh wow, surprised to hear you're experiencing that. I've only been using USB on PS4 and the Mobius gets crazy loud. You're correct that the Mobius' volume wheel does nothing. But on the Quick Menu volume control, I find 4-5 bars filled is more than enough. By comparison, when I used to plug my SportaPros into the DS4 headphone jack, I had the volume closer to the middle at around 12-15 bars filled. Are you by chance in party or game chat while playing? There's that slider to adjust audio between game sounds and chat audio. If you have it set more towards chat audio, that would reduce the game's volume. Otherwise, you might have your audio level turned down in Destiny?

That slider for the game sounds and chat audio might be the problem, I forgot there was such a setting. That could explain why it is only happening with the USB and controller AUX port with headphones but not Optical Output because Optical Out is not considered a headphone, so the mix setting would not be in effect. But with Mobius connected since it detects the mic, even though I'm not using it that mix setting probably is in play. I will have to try that mix slider setting when I get home from work.

It definitely sounds like it must be a setting issue for me then because I have the headphone volume slider at max, all the destiny settings at max and I don't see how anyone could consider it loud. So, I'm hoping that is the issue for me because even with the low volume I could tell the sound quality was better via USB than AUX.

Thank You for the input @Vader2k, you probably just made my PS4 audio setup much simpler which is why I wanted Mobius for it in the first place.

Edit: The game/chat audio mix slider setting is not the problem. That only applies if you are in a party, which I have not been in a party. I could only find that setting in party options when in one. I have everything maxed out and it's still too quiet in USB and when I plug Mobius into PS4 controller with Mobius AUX volume max it's only a little bit louder, not much.

To make things even more confusing I plugged my LCD-2C straight into my PS4 controller at max volume and it was louder than Mobius even though the controller is directly driving the LCD-2C and the Mobius's AUX is suppose to be Line Level which PS4 controller with max audio should be well above especially if driving LCD-2C. Makes no sense to me. The volume on my MacBook Pro USB to Mobius is at level 4 to equal the same level of PS4 USB max volume.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #378 of 5,780
https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/3314698.jpg

Oh I need me one of these! My LCD-2 cable just about pinches on normal omega symbol shaped stands... and I'm flying to Germany next week so hope I can get a good deal!

Ha!

My view right now:

Er6MoRj
IMG_20180907_223057.jpg

Sep 7, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #379 of 5,780
Sep 7, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #381 of 5,780
Well, I've had a few more days to play with my Mobius, and I love it more every day. I've also compared it to my current SINE set up that was was very happy with until now. Now I'm afraid to say that the SINE / amp / DAP are going to get listed on the Classifieds, and I might get myself another Mobius (the one I originally got was meant as a present for my significant other, so I won't have full access to it). I really wish I'd joined for 2 Mobius pairs originally instead of one...

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #382 of 5,780
@ audeze.... Is there any chance at all that you might be updating the mobius to allow airplay 2 so more than one person can listen on different headphones at the same time using an iOS or Apple TV would be great for several people watching a movie....

Sep 7, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #384 of 5,780
just a technical question, if Mojo connected ok with i device with the CCK, what stopped mobius from doing so?

Mojo registered with Apple that it's a DAC?
Mobius will work with the CCK as well. You might have to turn off the charging and it should work atleast in the 2 Channel or High-Res mode.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 7, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #385 of 5,780
Well, I've had a few more days to play with my Mobius, and I love it more every day. I've also compared it to my current SINE set up that was was very happy with until now. Now I'm afraid to say that the SINE / amp / DAP are going to get listed on the Classifieds, and I might get myself another Mobius (the one I originally got was meant as a present for my significant other, so I won't have full access to it). I really wish I'd joined for 2 Mobius pairs originally instead of one...
Did you know that you can connect two Mobius (or more) units to your mac using the multi-device output. Both play synchronized with drift control.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 7, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #387 of 5,780
I think I have seen this in the interminably long "Where's my Mobius?" thread:
Can you get lossless and hires audio over a USB C to USB C cable into a phone? My phone is capable of connecting to a DAC via a OTG USB adaptor.

Yes, I used the supplied USB-C to USB-C cable straight into my Note 8. It supported 7.1 Mode and the Hi-Res mode no problem, sounds great. I listened to some Tidal lossless music in Hi-Res mode, it works well.

Sep 7, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #388 of 5,780
Does anyone's Mobius default to SBC for bluetooth playback on Mac OS?

I have no problems with it regarding bluetooth latency when using it with my MacBook Pro but I'm just curious why it doesn't use AAC.

I have also tested bluetooth with my iOS devices and definitely notice the latency there.

Sep 7, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #389 of 5,780
Mobius vs Buncha’ Planars

The Mobius is not Audeze’s first foray into planar magnetics, though Audeze has taken many first steps into planar magnetics by hooking onto a market left untapped for planars, the mobile market. Their offerings in this segment start with the Sine series headphones that included both an over and on-ear model in both open and closed-back varieties. Though they weren’t the first to bring an over-ear, mobile planar to market, they were the first to bring the on-ear variety. With more steps forward, they brought the iSine line of headphones where are an “in-ear” headphone being the first to bring these about as well. Though debate is still about whether most consider these true in-ears. The Mobius represents two steps forward by offering the first gaming headphones as well as Bluetooth headphones powered by a planar driver. Here in this comparison, we’ll be comparing its acoustics against other planars in its range:
  • HiFiMan HE-400S* (MSRP 300)
  • Oppo PM-3* (MSRP 400)
  • Audeze Mobius^ (MSRP 400)
  • HiFiMan HE-400i* (MSRP 450)
  • Audeze Sine (MSRP 500)
Note that this comparison is meant to compare how well the headphones perform when mobile/on the go. That said, they will be driven straight out of the iPhone X using either the included 3.5mm Lightning adaptor or a Lightning cable (in case of Sine with Cipher). All headphones compared are either on-ear or over-ear designs compatible with (or designed for) mobile. That said, two of my planars are left out, the Audeze iSine 10 and the HiFiMan HE-560*.

*In a previous life, I was a headphone reviewer for the now defuct ifans.com (now ifans.us, again, defunct). That said, these headphones were received as review samples way back when.
^I was a backer on IndieGoGo so I paid 250 for the Audeze Mobius.

Below are the exactly setups for each headphone so there is no ambiguity:
  • HiFiMan HE-400S → 3.5mm-Lightning adapter → iPhone X → AAC 256 (Apple Music)
  • Oppo PM-3 → 3.5mm-Lightning adapter → iPhone X → AAC 256 (Apple Music)
  • Audeze Mobius → EQ Music → 3D OFF → 3.5mm-Lightning adapter → iPhone X → AAC 256 (Apple Music)
  • HiFiMan HE-400i → 3.5mm-Lightning adapter → iPhone X → AAC 256 (Apple Music)
  • Audeze Sine → Audeze Cipher Cable → iPhone X → AAC 256 (Apple Music)
Audeze Mobius

Let’s meet the newbie in this crowd, the long-awaited Mobius. It is Audeze’s first step into the gaming-world touting 3D head tracking, 7.1 surround sound, and Bluetooth. So many firsts for a planar magnetic headphone. The Mobius offers multiple EQs, and to keep the length of this one sane, we’ll be sticking to the “Music” EQ which raises the bass and tones down the midrange. Depending on EQ, the Mobius goes from having a major focus on the midrange to a minor focus with a relatively linear sound signature and toned-down treble.

HiFiMan HE-400S

If you want to get into the planar game, this is probably the cheapest way into it. The 400S represent HiFiMan’s “entry-level” offering into the planar world. They retailed at 300 but are now well under that retail. The overall signature of the 400S is a warmer signature with a bass focus.

Starting right off with the low-end of the spectrum, we quickly find that the 400S offers much better bass texturing due to a later roll off as well as better quantity. The Mobius offers a faster bass that is quick and punchy offering a stronger (perceived) impact while the HiFiMan offers a stronger, thicker thump overall.

As we move into the midrange, we find out quickly that the 400S are really going after the lush, warm, and inviting signature as that’s the first thing that sticks out. The Mobius, but comparison extract details much better and offer a little more energy and clarity in both instrumentals and vocals. While the HiFiMan have a bigger focus on the lower midrange, the Mobius have a focus on the upper midrange.

Moving into the top end of the spectrum we do find that both headphones are softer on the treble, but the Mobius softer than the 400S. Audeze has a bit of an edge on its treble which the 400S simply doesn’t have. The 400S are able to provide a much better shimmer and shine over the Mobius as they tend to be more forward. I wouldn’t call either headphone fatiguing, though I’m also accustomed to analytic signatures ala Etymotic.

Oppo PM-3

Back when it was released, this headphone was a big deal when it came to mobile hi-fidelity as they were the first planar magnetic headphones design for on the go use; they even came with a cable with a remote and mic attached to them. The overall signature of the PM-3 is quite neutral with a minor focus on the midrange. These come in at a price point equivalent to the Mobius at 400 dollars. Being a closed back planar, it is most comparable to the Mobius.

There is a certain slam that you can really hear when it comes to the PM-3 that stands strong against the Mobius. Combined with a slower decay, it creates a very strong bass presence over the PM-3 in the sub-bass regions making the Mobius feel like they roll off just a tad bit too early. On the other hand, the bass on the Mobius is expectedly tighter and quicker in contrast to the slow slamming of the PM-3.

The first thing I notice with the PM-3, which I never really noticed before, is that in contrast to the Mobius, they can get somewhat sibilant when it comes to vocals. Otherwise, the midrange is about at the same level as the Mobius offering a very midrange experience. They both pickup details quite well without becoming overly analytical. The vocals are offered with lots of energy and clarity; instrumentals as well.

As we reach to the high end, we find that once again the Mobius seems to be slightly outmatched in terms of detail retrieval. The PM-3 offer a soft treble that is shimmery and quite linear. The Mobius by contrast, like in comparison to the 400S, has a slightly sharper edge to it and simply doesn’t match the detail retrieval up high. The Audeze is, however, able to keep the treble soft and non-fatiguing. Overall the treble extension that Oppo offers seems better. Listening at the lower treble the Mobius tends to have a stronger more energetic snap than the Oppo that seems to fall flat in comparison.

HiFiMan HE-400i

These are kind of a little brother to the HiFiMan HE-560 and take a bit from the signature that voiced the 560. They come in with a current 450 dollar price tag though can be found online for much less. The overall signature is brighter with a bit of a focus on the midrange and treble.

When comparing to the 400i, we finally reach a headphone which the Mobius offers more in the sub-bass ranges. The bass is considerably darker and thicker than the 400i. The 400i does still offer bass that is more linear overall matching the punchiness of the Mobius albeit not nearly as “fun” sounding.

The midrange presentation of both headphones is quite similar offering a larger focus on the upper mids. Since both do focus on the upper midrange they offer equal amounts of clarity and energy in both vocals and instrumentals. However, the higher quantity of bass gives the Mobius a darker sounding midrange overall resulting in a signature that is overall warmer as well.

In the treble region we again find the HiFiMan seems to be much smoother than the Mobius in its presentation offering a nice sparkle to its high hats and splashes. The Mobius seems to be considerably more edgy in contrast. Up high, the 400i does beat out the Mobius in terms of detail retrieval. Looking at the lower treble, the HiFiMan offers much as much detail but slower decay when it comes to the snap and crackle of drums. This results in a sound that is more energetic and brighter overall.

Audeze Sine (on ear, closed back)

These are Audeze’s on-ear offering for on the go planar movement, a first of its kind. The Sine
Offers a signature that tends towards the neutral tone and a good overall sound signature. It comes in priced the same as the HE-400i at 450, but if paired with the Cipher cable (a must if you’re rocking an iOS device), adds an additional 50 dollars to its price.

Thick, luscious bass, that is the Audeze sound. Although I’d argue that the iSine does it better (most likely due to open back design), the Sine still offers it and it’s really something that is missing when comparing it to the larger Mobius. This leads to texturing that is a little more delicate on the Sine and much more present. Despite this, the Sine is still able to keep up with the speed of the Mobius while offering a stronger punch that borderlines a thump in contrast to what the Mobius offers, which is a quick, tight midbass.

When it comes to the midrange, both seem to have a slight bias towards the upper mids. In contrast to the Sine, the Mobius seems to have a darker presentation in the midrange despite offering an upper midrange that offers more energy than the Sine. Despite the slight loss of clarity, the lacking darkness allows the Sine to still provide a clear and precise midrange in line with what the Mobius offers.

The Sine offers a treble that is a little lower in quantity next to the Mobius but still offers good linearity through the entire range. This results in a treble that is smoother overall and offers better detail retrieval in the upper highs. Like the other comparisons we’ve seen today, the lower treble on the Mobius is simply snappier and offers more energy than the Sine; though neither really lack in this region.

What Have We Learned?

Overall, these comparisons give us a nice ground on where the Mobius lies and its main sound signature. The bass tends to have a slight roll off that is audible in contrast to its other planar brethren. It, however isn’t entirely lacking overall as sub-bass texturing still exists, just needs a tad more quantity. It’s midbass is tight, quick, and precise offering a well-defined punch. In the midrange, we hear and overall focus on the upper midrange that pushes clarity and energy. Though you wouldn’t notice it unless you compare directly, there is a darker overtone coming from the lower midrange. The treble is a little non-linear and offers a slight edginess to it. It’s very present and offers good, not great, detail retrieval.
  • Pros: Offers deep bass, and very well controlled midbass. Clarity and energy throughout the mids and treble. Excellent detail retrieval in mids without being overly analytical.
  • Wash: Edgy treble is edgy, but does offer energy and some crunch.
  • Cons: Roll off in the bass causes sub-bass quantity to be lower resulting in loss of classic planar sound. Edgy treble leads to loss of detail.
Conclusions

In many of these comparisons, Mobius’ competition seems to have a slight edge over the Mobius here or there. Although these comparisons make it seem night and day, they are the result of signature differences mainly, and the losses are slight. Are they worth the 400 dollar asking price? Well we have a slight loss in audio quality, but a signature that is unique for a planar tending towards (but never reaching) analytical. But the gain is in the wireless capabilities that are nearly as good as wired. Add in the cool 3D head tracking and gaming capabilities and we have a killer headphone. To me, they are definitely worth their dollar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back