Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 4, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #227 of 5,780
Anyway, when hooking these up to a phone/tablet with Micro B USB, is it required to use an OTG cable, or can you use a regular USB-C to Micro B or even a regular USB-A to Micro B adapter? I'm not completely familiar with the differences between OTG and non-OTG cables, but is the primary difference that a non-OTG cable can't power/charge the connected device?

For Android devices, I think of OTG as letting the device "host" a USB device. I don't believe you can just plug the Mobius because the Android device usually connects to another host (your laptop/desktop).

Sep 4, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #228 of 5,780
Only when you first plug it into a Windows PC or MacOS machine AFAIK.
Thank God, was afraid i have to tone it down constantly.

Sep 4, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #229 of 5,780
Sep 4, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #230 of 5,780
For Android devices, I think of OTG as letting the device "host" a USB device. I don't believe you can just plug the Mobius because the Android device usually connects to another host (your laptop/desktop).

Ok, so if I understand correctly, you're saying that if I use a non-OTG cable with the Mobius, my Android phone would think the Mobius is it's host? And so to avoid that (and possibly have the phone attempt to draw charge from the Mobius), an OTG cable/adapter is needed to make sure the Android is acting as the host?

Only when you first plug it into a Windows PC or MacOS machine AFAIK.

Yeah, the first time I plugged it into PC and changed between 7.1 Ch, 2 Ch and Hi-Res modes, each of those started out at 100%. I turned each one down, and now any time later that I plug it in, it remembers the volume level I previously set.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #231 of 5,780
Would love to see the head tracking feature implemented as an external device to use with other cans. Imagine that tech on an HD 800!

NX waves, the tech in Audeze Mobius, does have a bluetooth dongle that has a pretty trash computer app and eats through AAA batteries like crazy...

Very quick question for those of you who backed the campaign. Now that you have them in hand and have had a chance to use them would you have paid $400 for them ? Do you think that they fit the top spot in the $400 range ?

So many mixed opinions here and I see a lot more fault being addressed than praise. I am an Audeze fan so perhaps I will like them either way but I ordered mine from Audeze in June for $399 and since they won’t be shipping mine any time soon I can cancel my order and just walk away.

With k7xx ($200), 'princess leia' modded shp9500 ($200), and m50's ($100), I believe the $400 price tag is reasonable

can someone confirm that Mobius always defaults to 100% volume when powered on?

I havent had this issue

Sep 4, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #234 of 5,780
Had a chance to run these wireless off my iPhone today for a few songs. Sounds great with the Music EQ preset. That tuning is superior to what Oppo was trying to achieve with the PM-3.

Sep 4, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #235 of 5,780
So do any of you truly enjoy Mobius or you feel it's underwhelming/overpriced/not what you expected?
Current impressions feel very mixed. I'm starting to feel that it's not the best way to enter the planar realm. Yet I still hope I will be pleasantly surprised by them.

I only have a few hours of listening but so far I absolutely love my Mobius. I'm more of a music listener than a gamer. The detail presented be the Mobius is amazing. I'm hearing things that I have only heard on the my HD-800, T1 or Layla. Here are a few initial takeaways from my listening so far:
  • No hiss
  • Volume capacity seems to be fine. The Mobius can quite easily drive into the painful zone. In USB mode you can adjust the volume on the Mobius and on the PC
  • I haven't experienced the harshness or large treble forward some have reported. But the treble is a bit forward
  • I noticed that the base is not as deep or as visceral as on my HD-800 or T1. Tested using Nero - United We Stand to which most HPs either miss the bass drums & timpani entirely or they turn them into mush. The Mobius presents them but politely so
  • 3D mode has a more "in your face" presentation with 3D off being a more traditional presentation with a larger sound stage. 3D mode sort off molds the music around your head which when listening to classical is simply weird
  • The better the recording (newer, better engineered, higher quality) the more the Mobius shines. This is true for most HPs but some can be a bit more forgiving. My Layla IEMs are the same way. You give them mediocre '70s rock recordings and they just butcher them
  • For music listening I turn 3D off
  • I have run them using BT LDAC off my Sony ZX2 and they sounded great

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #237 of 5,780
I only have a few hours of listening but so far I absolutely love my Mobius. I'm more of a music listener than a gamer. The detail presented be the Mobius is amazing. I'm hearing things that I have only heard on the my HD-800, T1 or Layla. Here are a few initial takeaways from my listening so far:
  • No hiss
  • Volume capacity seems to be fine. The Mobius can quite easily drive into the painful zone. In USB mode you can adjust the volume on the Mobius and on the PC
  • I haven't experienced the harshness or large treble forward some have reported. But the treble is a bit forward
  • I noticed that the base is not as deep or as visceral as on my HD-800 or T1. Tested using Nero - United We Stand to which most HPs either miss the bass drums & timpani entirely or they turn them into mush. The Mobius presents them but politely so
  • 3D mode has a more "in your face" presentation with 3D off being a more traditional presentation with a larger sound stage. 3D mode sort off molds the music around your head which when listening to classical is simply weird
  • The better the recording (newer, better engineered, higher quality) the more the Mobius shines. This is true for most HPs but some can be a bit more forgiving. My Layla IEMs are the same way. You give them mediocre '70s rock recordings and they just butcher them
  • For music listening I turn 3D off
  • I have run them using BT LDAC off my Sony ZX2 and they sounded great

Nero - United We Stand

Just heard this on youtube. Sounds like a really good benchmark track, I must buy as flac now. :)

Sep 4, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #238 of 5,780
can someone confirm that Mobius always defaults to 100% volume when powered on?

Each mode in Mobius shows up as a different device on Windows. Mobius volume control is directly tied to windows volume control. As far as volume is concerned, Windows is the master and windows sets it at 100% just like it would any other device when you first plug it in. But Windows remembers the last volume you used the last time with ta specific mode.

Sep 4, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #239 of 5,780
So do any of you truly enjoy Mobius or you feel it's underwhelming/overpriced/not what you expected?
Current impressions feel very mixed. I'm starting to feel that it's not the best way to enter the planar realm. Yet I still hope I will be pleasantly surprised by them.

I'm enjoying them, they're nice for gaming (I actually like the FLAT setting for gaming). The 7.1 emulation is pretty good, just as good as the creative soundblaster e5 solution I've used. I wish they would've put dolby atmos in these, because I play a lot of overwatch and prefer to put them in hi-def mode with atmos enabled in game. But then again not all games have atmos.

Pros:
Ldac is great as always for bluetooth.
Most comfortable closed cans I've ever used (even with my TMJ)

Gripes:
I do hear a slight hiss when nothing is playing through them, not terrible
I was hoping for more bass
I keep wishing these were open back for better soundstage
The 3d tracking goes weird sometimes and I have to reset it a lot in their recommended mode for gaming (manual)
Controls are confusing...

Are they worth the money? Well, strong yes at the early bird pricing I paid, slight no for the full price I would say. But then again, I don't know of a wireless headphone that also has a built in dac/amp, built in ldac bluetooth, equalizer settings, 7.1 emulation, and a nice mic. It has potential for more too because they're going to release a windows application to update the firmware (hoping for custom eq and the ability to disable sidetone)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back