Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 4, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #196 of 5,780
First post on Head-Fi! Have been lurking and following the Mobius threads for a month as I wait for mine to ship.

My dominant game is PUBG and directional awareness is key, so very excited to try these. One thing that's been very hard for me to get good at in PUBG is peeking. Even after 600 hours, it's still very cumbersome, so I was thinking about ways to bind that to different keys and nothing has helped much. I have friends that have actually purchased driving sim pedals to overcome this same issue. I had an idea to place an accelerometer on my headset a year ago so that when I tilt my head to the side enough, that triggers a key binding that I map to peek left / right.

@Audeze - Have you considered anything like this? Essentially a head "gesture" macro function.

Edit: Spelling
Off topic pubg post. I use a razer naga mouse with the top row of keys (1-10 and the hyphen and plus key) located in the side of the mouse. I re-map the peek buttons to 4 and 6 on that. leaving my left hand free to work ’wasd’. My right thumb works the peeking and other things on the mouse number pad. While I am still able to aim and shoot unhindered. Something to think about.

Hi-Res works on Bluetooth if your device supports LDAC.

Thank you. I thought I had read this previously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 4, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #197 of 5,780
Has anyone used the Mobius on Windows 8.1?

Sep 4, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #198 of 5,780
I'm sorry for off topic but WHAT, why would you need pedals to peek a corner in a shooter? Sure if you have physical disabilities, I just saw a dude play CS with a roller mouse and 2 fingers. But if you're "fine" then just ADAD jiggle peek like a normal person.:laughing:

Just wanted to take a second to thank you for the awareness brought to my kind. As one that is "not fine" I can say that we do tend to struggle during gaming sessions, and some more than others. That doesn't stop us from going at whatever we wanna, though. Funnily enough, gaming is how I got into the whole audiophile/Hi Res thing. From there, to here (this site), to the purchase of a Mobius, it's been a loooong and expensive journey, and if the Mobius provides me with what I'm looking for, then I can just check off another way this hobby has helped me in life. So cheers! :beerchug:

Sep 4, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #200 of 5,780
Just wanted to take a second to thank you for the awareness brought to my kind. As one that is "not fine" I can say that we do tend to struggle during gaming sessions, and some more than others. That doesn't stop us from going at whatever we wanna, though. Funnily enough, gaming is how I got into the whole audiophile/Hi Res thing. From there, to here (this site), to the purchase of a Mobius, it's been a loooong and expensive journey, and if the Mobius provides me with what I'm looking for, then I can just check off another way this hobby has helped me in life. So cheers! :beerchug:

I'm always astounded by what people with disabilities can do given the tools and dedication, whether it be in gaming or in physical activities to regular life. What hit's me the most when it comes to being reletable is again with CS, I've seen two guys, one has no arms and the other is both legally blind and deaf (and he has no nose or sense of pain), and they're basically playing at my level or close to it (top ~1% in the world). And it's astonishing to think about. So cheers to you, glad you can still enjoy life and these hobbies the way you want to.:beerchug:

Sep 4, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #202 of 5,780
@cripple1 forgive me for not putting 2 and 2 together in my previous post. Have you ever looked at the Tobii C Pro eye tracker? Could prove useful to you in some cases.

No worries. I'm not the one who was on about the paddle. Just being a bit facetious and a bit serious at the same time. People don't often think of me and mine when it comes to actually being able to do things, but we are out there. Haha. That eye tracker looks like a useful little kit though! Why didn't I know about this?.. Anyway, seeing others use things like Microsofts Kinect when it first came out and talk about how it was a bit more immersive in a way is what got me searching for my own way to become immersed in the games I play. I discovered Head-fi and this hobby, and it's been all downhill from there, in a long, pocket emptying drop of exhilaration and audio bliss. Music therapy is actually a thing, and this hobby has helped me out a lot in that regard, reducing stress and anxiety during hospital visits and distracting me from pain by allowing myself to become immersed in the music and movies and games that I love, more so than your average consumer. That's kinda why I'm looking forward to the Mobius so much. It's sounding like an all-in-one solution for all of my needs. I'm a little worried about the comments on how it sounds more clinical and brighter than the traditional Audeze house sound, though, but I'm gonna hold off judgement until I get them in my hands and on my head.

Sep 4, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #203 of 5,780
Checking the frequency response measurements I'm suprised how bass light the Mobius seems to be, expected it to be a good 3dB or so bassier in a typical Audeze fashion, also seems somewhat set on the bright side compared to their LCD line for instance. Seems like a good default setting for competitive minded play, for my personal tastes when listening to music I expect it not quite to deliver the bass response I'm used to but I heard good things about Planar bass and I'm looking for tight and punchy, not necessarily so much volume but I do like to feel the initial "thump" of an EDM beat which requires good control and snappiness to the bass so will be curious if that's what Planars do well. Music preset looks to be more to my taste than default judging by measurements.

Just looking for confirmation on what you've mentionedand some potential remedies:

1. Mobius bass light.. could it be a DSP setting? Music, etc

2. "Bright compared to lcd line".. but you also said you "heard good things about planar bass", and "if that's what planars do well"... does this mean you have not heard the lcd or mobius yourself? I ask cause when I first read your post, I assumed you had personal experience with both.

Perhaps your worries are way too early (i take graphs as over rated and don't tell you real world sound) and wait till you hear them planars in person. :)

I can't describe my LCD-2 as thumping (leave that to my HD25-1 and MDR950, both retired and boxed up) but the bass notes are pleasant nonetheless!

Sep 4, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #204 of 5,780
I'm always astounded by what people with disabilities can do given the tools and dedication, whether it be in gaming or in physical activities to regular life. What hit's me the most when it comes to being reletable is again with CS, I've seen two guys, one has no arms and the other is both legally blind and deaf (and he has no nose or sense of pain), and they're basically playing at my level or close to it (top ~1% in the world). And it's astonishing to think about. So cheers to you, glad you can still enjoy life and these hobbies the way you want to.:beerchug:

Thanks a lot! And cheers! :beerchug:

Sep 4, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #205 of 5,780
I'm sorry for off topic but WHAT, why would you need pedals to peek a corner in a shooter? Sure if you have physical disabilities, I just saw a dude play CS with a roller mouse and 2 fingers. But if you're "fine" then just ADAD jiggle peek like a normal person.:laughing:

Someone else already mentioned, but in PUBG there is strafing, which are bound to A/D by default. There is also a peek (or lean), which leans your upper torso a bit around a corner, bound to Q/E by default. Doing either is easy. Doing them both at the same time, not so easy. People find all kinds of ways to work around it.

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #206 of 5,780
Someone else already mentioned, but in PUBG there is strafing, which are bound to A/D by default. There is also a peek (or lean), which leans your upper torso a bit around a corner, bound to Q/E by default. Doing either is easy. Doing them both at the same time, not so easy. People find all kinds of ways to work around it.
i recommend switching leaning to toggle, like in rainbow six siege. its much easier to lean and move like that. you dont have to press Q or E while pressing A or D to peek

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #207 of 5,780
Checking the frequency response measurements I'm suprised how bass light the Mobius seems to be, expected it to be a good 3dB or so bassier in a typical Audeze fashion, also seems somewhat set on the bright side compared to their LCD line for instance. Seems like a good default setting for competitive minded play, for my personal tastes when listening to music I expect it not quite to deliver the bass response I'm used to but I heard good things about Planar bass and I'm looking for tight and punchy, not necessarily so much volume but I do like to feel the initial "thump" of an EDM beat which requires good control and snappiness to the bass so will be curious if that's what Planars do well. Music preset looks to be more to my taste than default judging by measurements.

Planar bass is linear usually without a bass hump like dynamics have. The compensated graphs and comparison graphs need to be taken with perspective and realize they are normalized to a certain frequency. Anyway, bass isn’t going to hit you hard like a dynamic will. It’s a fast, speed, extended, attack that’s clean and not muddied. That’s what makes planar magnet is great. At least the ones I have listened to.

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #208 of 5,780
Anyone's system crash using the Mobius?
Second one I've hit... This time on windows. Yanked the Mobius and everything didn't work except mouse movement.
Other time I saw this was on a MacBook but that was a hard lock up without mouse movement...though it also happened disconnecting the Mobius too.

Yeah, the first two days I had two Windows system crashes as you've described. System locks up, mouse cursor moves but can't interact with anything, ctrl+alt+del doesn't work. Smells like a driver issue.

Unrelatedly, does anyone else find that listening to surround sound source material, bass is greatly reduced in 7.1 mode vs. Hi-Res mode? For example, watching John Wick 2 with a 5.1 surround track, there are some scenes with heavy house music as the background track and gunshots/shotgun shots. In Hi-Res mode, the shotgun shots are accompanied by a deep bass note that's almost palpable - yet watching the same scene in 7.1 mode completely removes the bass.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #210 of 5,780

I am not sure which measurements you are referring to, but I have posted the measurements we made here. All Audezes have a flat and well extend bass down to 10Hz or 20Hz, none have boosted bass. The Mobius has slightly boosted Sub-bass and the Music preset has a warm tilt that would provide the equivalent of 2dB boost in bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back