Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Apr 26, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #4,756 of 5,780
So should I use the ASIO drivers? What's the benefit?

https://www.audeze.com/blogs/audeze-journal/new-asio-drivers-for-mobius-now-available

I installed them and now my microphone isn't showing up:

NvrXMlN.png

Audeze responded... looks like they're not really for gaming.. just professionals.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #4,757 of 5,780
Works fine in BT for my laptop but to transmit audio you have to stay on the BT codec from my experience.
My laptop also transmits Aptx HD not Ldac for hq.

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #4,759 of 5,780
I have a Lenovo Legion y540, I confirmed it using Sony xm3 as the app shows what codec the headphones are using.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #4,760 of 5,780
Hi there, new head-fier here, I've been really pleased to read about the Mobius here !

I've bought one second-hand and am waiting on the delivery (a LOT of delay right now with the situation). Can't wait to try it and see how it compares to my PC37x.

Have anyone here tried a magnetic USB-C cable ? I've bought one to avoid stress on the connector of the headset as it seems to be a known weakpoint, so that any sidepull will just disconnect the cable. I'm concerned though the contact would be a bit too loose and it might lose connection from time to time, even though the magnetic strength seems quite good. Any experience on this ? I'll mainly use the headset in USB mode on my PC, so I wouldn't want the connection to fail every minute or so.

Thanks, will keep you updated on my impressions when I receive mine :wink:.

[Edit : I received it !]

I've received my Mobius this morning, and the least I can say is... Wow. My PC37x was pretty much the best headphones I had ever used, and it gets totally buried by this planar magnetic beauty. After updating the headset to the latest firmware, I fired up some of my favourite songs, the kind I know pretty much every note by heart : Telegraph Road and Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits, Ocean by John Butler... only to discover I actually didn't know every note :D . The accuracy of this headset is on a totally other level. On Dire Straits tracks particularly some notes almost got me to tears for the strength and tightness with which they would punch me.

Next step : gaming. After all, it's this headset's focus. CoD : Warzone and PUBG allow for such an accurate pinpoint of every sound, it's crazy. The head tracking is far from being a gadget, I instinctively slightly turn my head all the time to pinpoint sounds more accurately. It gets some getting used to coming from a strictly stereo experience, but the soundstage is incredible.

Oh, the soundstage... I was afraid since those are closed-back headphones, but the footsteps at the beginning of Pink Floyd's Lost For Words got me turning around to check if someone was coming (in Hi-Res mode, so no surround whatsoever). I'm not worried anymore.

As I mentionned before, I bought a usb cable with a magnetic end (this one) and I'm really pleased with it. Good braided cable and the magnetic clamp is good but disconnects easily when I turn around on my chair after a beautiful goal in Rocket League (which is way better than the headset's connector taking the blunt of it :wink: ).

So very, very happy with this. I think I'll have a hard time getting to the limits of that beauty.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #4,761 of 5,780
Bom dia, fui atualizar meu mobius e não o meio do notebook, agora ou o telefone morreu, ele não liga e não é reconhecido pelo PC. Também não consigo me recuperar através do aplicativo. Alguém sabe como resolver? TK

May 6, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #4,762 of 5,780
Has anyone heard rumblings or rumors about an updated Mobius? I ask because swear I have seen some reviews say the Mobius has BT 5.0, but the Audeze help page for the Mobius says BT 4.2. I’m guessing they are mistaken, but as stupid as it sounds, BT 5.0 and multi-connection would make the Mobius an auto-buy for me.

May 6, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #4,763 of 5,780
I don´t think there is a version with BT 5.0 yet.
But the Mobius is easy and fast to pair with a second device: press the power button two times and connect from a device. Also it is very handy that it stays connected to the phone when used wired. I have an USB connection to the pc and when somebody calls I can instantly take the call with the Mobius, which is connected via BT at the same time :) :)

Another note: really liking the Tonebooster Morphit correction for the Mobius. But it doesn´t say if it was meant for flat or default profile (and also maybe for the "old" profiles in old firmware). But yeah, I guess you should give it a try!

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #4,764 of 5,780
I don´t think there is a version with BT 5.0 yet.
But the Mobius is easy and fast to pair with a second device: press the power button two times and connect from a device. Also it is very handy that it stays connected to the phone when used wired. I have an USB connection to the pc and when somebody calls I can instantly take the call with the Mobius, which is connected via BT at the same time :) :)

Another note: really liking the Tonebooster Morphit correction for the Mobius. But it doesn´t say if it was meant for flat or default profile (and also maybe for the "old" profiles in old firmware). But yeah, I guess you should give it a try!
What does it do ? Flatten the curve response or something ?

May 7, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #4,765 of 5,780
What does it do ? Flatten the curve response or something ?

Yes, you can "correct" the frequency response, tweak it to your liking or simulate the sound of other headphones. What makes it interesting is that you can mix the correction in percent. There is a free demo so I would suggest trying it out. It can be loaded as VST plugin into Equalizer APO for example: Morphit

May 9, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #4,766 of 5,780
Well I pulled the plug on these a few weeks ago, listened to them for a week, and as a replacement for my old Sennheiser 6XX headphones.... I'm more than happy with these. The bass is actually existent, the veiled treble is gone and the imaging is definitely better. 3D features are awesome and high quality, plus comfort is solid and bluetooth perfectly functional. Though the sound signature gave me a mixed first impression, now I'm especially happy after finding this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/a5ry7p/i_made_an_audeze_mobius_eq_profile/

2e3b3cb9b69b1c85d5b4ce99e13acd55.png

This EQ moved the Mobius closer to the 6XX, in a good way. I'm definitely no audio expert but the sound is more 'full', especially vocals and speech in movies. Watching and comparing with Westworld S3, Godzilla, Avatar and testing Halo CE Anniversary, as well as music (Tame Impala, Westworld soundtracks) in Hi-Res mode, its just more present, less harsh, more natural sounding. In movies especially dialogue is more natural while soundtracks sound closer to Hi Res mode playback, Waves seems to use the EQ nicely. Also nicer bass. Though I did tweak the tweak to reemphasise treble and reduce the reduction in the upper mids, else detail begins to suffer. Either way I just wish I could get an android EQ with Equalizer APO configurability, because with this EQ I am beyond happy with the Mobius.

For Equalizer APO, I use this as my config.txt file to enable a tweaked version of the above, alongside 'Flat' EQ in the Audeze app. Note, for each of the Mobius modes (7.1, Stereo, Hi Res), you need to enable Equalizer APO for it in its Configurator at least once for each mode, they are considered separate devices within Windows. EAPO wont work in WASAPI exclusive or ASIO. Also, when installing it I recommend trying ticking Troubleshoot mode in the configurator, and install it as the newer SFX/EFX type for Windows 10 users.

EAPO config.txt:
Stage: pre-mix
Channel: LFE
Filter: ON LPQ Fc 140 Hz Q 1.7
Stage: post-mix
Channel: ALL
Preamp: -4.25 dB
Filter: ON LSC 12 dB Fc 150 Hz Gain 3 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 125 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 1.2
Filter: ON PK Fc 300 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 0.3333
Filter: ON PK Fc 395 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 2.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 900 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 1.3
Filter: ON PK Fc 1575 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 3.8
Filter: ON PK Fc 2100 Hz Gain -1.25 dB Q 2
Filter: ON PK Fc 3250 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain 2.5 dB Q 2.2
Filter: ON PK Fc 6500 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 7200 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 9.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 8000 Hz Gain 5 dB Q 3.75
Filter: ON PK Fc 9000 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 10
Filter: ON PK Fc 10000 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 2.3
Filter: ON PK Fc 14500 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 1.25
Filter: ON HS Fc 5500 Hz Gain -7 dB
Filter: ON HS Fc 16500 Hz Gain 6 dB

Changes the EQ to look more like this:
1589323817738.png

Upper-mids reduction is halved in intensity while being more of a precise change, treble's adjusted to remove the high-frequency rolloff, pre-amp is also adjusted accordingly. EQ works for 7.1 and stereo output, also added a low-pass filter for the LFE (subwoofer) channel, will only activate in 7.1 mode. Generally some movies with lossless DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD tracks didn't low-pass the LFE in production, and sometimes the channel has 'garbage' audio in the upper frequencies. This will filter them out without effecting any real bass frequencies.

You can test the EQ on and off by swapping the following three lines to this:
Stage:
Channel: ALL
Preamp: -4.51 dB
That also raises the preamp, to make sure volume differences between on/off dont cause bias. To adjust bass, the first line is gain for 'sub-bass' in a way, second line is more general bass. raise it for more. Last two lines are treble gain, note the first high-shelf filter is initially negative to counterbalance the EQ work done in the lines before. Final line adjusts that high-shelf to restore high-frequency volume. Use the Editor.exe file for EAPO to check if your peak gain is positive, if so lower the pre-amp to avoid clipping or raise it if you have headroom.

All credits to the reddit post for this EQ, also thanks to Audeze for making this audio experience, first headphone that comes close to being 'the full package'.

Attachments

• 1589091032754.png
    1589091032754.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1589321568091.png
    1589321568091.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1589323738219.png
    1589323738219.png
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #4,767 of 5,780
Can the Mobius only play in auxiliary with the set turned out? It doesn’t have playback without the battery like the Sony WH-1000XM3?

May 10, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #4,769 of 5,780
I apologise in advance if I upset anyone with this post (I have read at least half the pages in this thread & countless other web pages before posting for clarity). I'm a lifelong gamer/music & movie lover; have never been massively into onling gaming but recently have discovered the new CoD & have a couple of mates (on a different console) who want to kill me mercilessly. Plus I get countless texts from one of my housemates, telling me to turn the volume down at night while I'm watching movies/series.

I spent most of the weekend online, researching gaming headsets for my console of choice (Xbox), before stumbling upon the Mobius. When I saw it was manufactured by Audeze, my first reaction was...surely not (I've been hankering after a high-end pair of cans for a long time but with so much choice/so many opinions online & so few options to demo before dropping the cash, it's not happened). However I then found this thread, read through as many pages as I could, but still have a few questions which I'm hoping you good folk can answer.

For reference, I own the following:
  • Xbox One X
  • Nintendo Swicth
  • AK Kann
  • Dell XPS15
  • Sony STR-DN1080 amp (connected to a TV & projector)
  • Chord CPM 2650 (connected to a turntable & my PC)
  • Chord Hugo (for connecting my laptop to the Chord amp)
In a nutshell, the basis of my reserach has got me to the following conclusions:
  • I made a mistake buying an Xbox in terms of compatibility with headsets
  • When people start showing frequency response graphs or talking about impedence etc I grab the next bottle of red from the cellar
  • There are plenty of headphones that I'd be really happy with, but I'd always be wondering...what if I'd bought 'that' one
What I am hoping to find out is:
  1. Is the Mobius the one-size-fits-all it sounds like, which will connect to all of the above with relative ease, and give good performance?
  2. Am I right in thinking that I'll have to connect it to my Xbox controller via the headset using a 3.5mm cable, will have no 7.1 capability, but will have the native '3D' sound?
  3. Can I use any off-the-shelf microphone with the Mobius (assuming it can be made to fit the socket)?
  4. What would be the best way to connect it to my Kann to listen to music?
  5. What would be the best way to connect it to my Sony amp to watch movies/series on Netflix/DVD?
  6. What would be the best way to connect it to my Chord amp to listen to music?
  7. Am I better getting a separate Xbox-centric headset (i.e. the Steelseries Arctis 9X) & Kann-focussed headphones?
  8. Should I request a s*x change, forget all about this crap, & start watching Love Island when it comes back (apologies to any females reading this, but my doctor told me this is exclusively a male problem)?
  9. Update: I now find out there's a bloody LCD-GX headset...should I be considering that instead? I give up!!!

May 10, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #4,770 of 5,780

Users who are viewing this thread

Back