Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Aug 31, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #31 of 5,780
Impressions which I'm really wanting to hear about is of b-format ambisonic recordings.
Would any of you lovely Mobius owners be able to shed some light on this?

Here are some free ones:
http://www.ambisonia.com/Members/ajh/

I have absolutely no clue how to open those files, some searching got me to this though https://googlechrome.github.io/omnitone/src/omnitone-demo-player.html?id=fuerzaimprevista

Listening/playing around with this, keeping my head still with 3D on and manually moving the camera keeps the 3D effect without making things weird... Or you could move your head and keep the camera still. Only with a VR headset would you want 3d/Head tracking to be turned off

These would have to be played with 3d off.

not exactly. Regardless, this brings up an interesting issue, I probably wouldnt be bothered to use these headphones in VR until @Audeze allows users to turn independent headtracking off. I only fully appreciate these with the virtual 7.1... and that would be impossible if Mobius was compensating head movement on top of the VR device

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #33 of 5,780
I have absolutely no clue how to open those files, some searching got me to this though https://googlechrome.github.io/omnitone/src/omnitone-demo-player.html?id=fuerzaimprevista

Listening/playing around with this, keeping my head still with 3D on and manually moving the camera keeps the 3D effect without making things weird... Or you could move your head and keep the camera still. Only with a VR headset would you want 3d/Head tracking to be turned off

not exactly. Regardless, this brings up an interesting issue, I probably wouldnt be bothered to use these headphones in VR until @Audeze allows users to turn independent headtracking off. I only fully appreciate these with the virtual 7.1... and that would be impossible if Mobius was compensating head movement on top of the VR device

I could well be wrong, but as I understand, 7.1 channel audio is only relevant until the point that headtracking comes into the mix, at that point you essentially have the driver on each side of the head providing every combination of tangible speaker placement from 5.1 to 7.1 and onward, essentially infinite.

To have headtracking, and then only virtualize 7.1 virtual speakers sounds ridiculous, why stop at 7.1 when you can have as many as physically would be impossible.

Back to the point. As I understand to use these with VR, you would turn the Mobius to Stereo Hi-Fi mode with 3D off, while having your VR headset/System handle all the headtracking, and subsequent audio calculation.

Perhaps I missed your point though?

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #34 of 5,780
That's no good. Luckily most of the submissions to this website also have a companion 5.1 channel upload too, they may also sound impressive in their own right.

Is there not 3D ambisonic compatibility planned, to our knowledge?

Ambisonics are 2 channel tracks correct? Meant to be played back over headphones, rendering a 3d space, including above and below. Applying the mobius 3d would not work, as it needs to receive a stereo to 7.1 track. Edited: However, the head tracking would be beneficial for playback of ambisonic and binaural recordings if it was possible to use only headtracking on the mobius.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #35 of 5,780
I received my Mobius today... Sound is fantastic, really wouldn't expect anything less from Audeze. The head tracking 3D is an interesting concept when running over BT with the iPhone X. My only complaint would be in the comfort department. These seem to be nearly as bad as the UE9000 where are known for localizing all of the weight of the headphones onto one spot on the top of your head. The result is that they really can't be worn for more than an hour. I was curious so I actually weighed the UE9000 and Mobius, the Mobius are actually slightly heavier (by a few grams) than the UE9000... Besides comfort, these are great headphones with a ton of tech packed in. Color me impressed.

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #36 of 5,780
The head tracking 3D is an interesting concept when running over BT with the iPhone X

Whaaa I coulda sworn I just read that 3d didnt work over bluetooth, good news ty.

My only complaint would be in the comfort department. These seem to be nearly as bad as the UE9000 where are known for localizing all of the weight of the headphones onto one spot on the top of your head

I found this to be true on my EL-8s and removed the tiny headband pad and use a seatbelt shoulder strap with a foam insert to distribute weight over a wider area.

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #37 of 5,780
Whaaa I coulda sworn I just read that 3d didnt work over bluetooth, good news ty.

I found this to be true on my EL-8s and removed the tiny headband pad and use a seatbelt shoulder strap with a foam insert to distribute weight over a wider area.

It's tracking my head movement. It kind of just pans the sound in relation to the direction your facing. I was surprised at first as well, it caught me off guard. As for the seatbelt trick, that sounds like an interesting idea.

Edit: if I'm reading right, I think you created a second headband under the main one similar to what HiFiMan does with the seat belt and foam?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #38 of 5,780
I could well be wrong, but as I understand, 7.1 channel audio is only relevant until the point that headtracking comes into the mix, at that point you essentially have the driver on each side of the head providing every combination of tangible speaker placement from 5.1 to 7.1 and onward, essentially infinite.

To have headtracking, and then only virtualize 7.1 virtual speakers sounds ridiculous, why stop at 7.1 when you can have as many as physically would be impossible.

Back to the point. As I understand to use these with VR, you would turn the Mobius to Stereo Hi-Fi mode with 3D off, while having your VR headset/System handle all the headtracking, and subsequent audio calculation.

Perhaps I missed your point though?

"Only with a VR headset would you want 3d/Head tracking to be turned off"
edit; The 3D isn't just simulated surround, it's a dsp and does a bunch of fancy things. You'll have to hear it for yourself

Bluetooth only supports 2ch headtracking which is fairly awkward and meh imo.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #39 of 5,780
"Only with a VR headset would you want 3d/Head tracking to be turned off"

Bluetooth only supports 2ch headtracking which is fairly awkward and meh imo.

I stated my point poorly. We can turn off headtracking/3D on the mobius, while VR would still provide full 3D audio as it would with a normal headset. If the VR system was providing just 7.1 virtual it would be a downgrade, as VR supports far higher sound fidelity as it is.

Does this work better?

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #40 of 5,780
Aug 31, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #41 of 5,780
Edit: if I'm reading right, I think you created a second headband under the main one similar to what HiFiMan does with the seat belt and foam?

Nope :)
20180831_234728.jpg 20180831_234638.jpg

So comfy

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #42 of 5,780
I stated my point poorly. We can turn off headtracking/3D on the mobius, while VR would still provide full 3D audio as it would with a normal headset. If the VR system was providing just 7.1 virtual it would be a downgrade, as VR supports far higher sound fidelity as it is.

Does this work better?
Yes, and now that I think about, you wouldn't want the mobius' head tracking because the VR device does it, my bad.

Edit: To add it would be neat for those that want to listen to ambisonic or binaural recordings to use the mobius' head tracking without 3d, if this was possible.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #43 of 5,780
Sep 1, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #44 of 5,780
Like this? :)

I'm so jelly of ur photography skills Dx no foolies. were the focals just there or did you put them there for the photo heh

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #45 of 5,780
Like this? :)

Is the mobius headband uncomfortable enough to warrant a sheath over it? This would be a worry as these should be on my head for hours during my frequent Asia-Europe flights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back