Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Aug 31, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #16 of 5,780
@kozio_ You should be careful, either you already have lowered hearing or you're doing irreparable damage to your ears by the sound of it, pardon the pun.

Aug 31, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #17 of 5,780
I think this is the first impression I've heard saying the Mobius isn't loud enough. Can anyone else with the revised version comment on the volume level?

Also @kozio_ , how would you describe and judge the hiss?

I probably have a biased expectation because I probably listen a bit over "safe" levels

Forgot to mention I dont hear any hissing whatsoever. When I first turned it on, it was an extremely quiet hiss but I didn't hear it after that regardless of input type or whether something was playing or not

Do you have Resident Evil 7? If you do, can you tell me how they sound with that game? I play Resident Evil 7 on my laptop (Aero 15X) and the sound is dreadful coming from the internal speakers. When I play it on one of my DT's with my full surround setup, it is amazing.

I don't have RE7 but I will try testing the atmosphere in Outlast, I'm sure it's pretty similar

@kozio_ You should be careful, either you already have lowered hearing or you're doing irreparable damage to your ears by the sound of it, pardon the pun.

Low volume was just my initial impression, I dont think it was something that bothered me much at all in the division. Listening again, I believe 70%~80% volume would be my go to

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #20 of 5,780
Btw. regarding 7.1 :
Netflix has surround, every blu ray and pretty much EVERY modern game even if it isn't editable in the menu. Most modern titles just take your windows settings for audio meaning as long as you use Mobius with proper settings everything is fine.
I'm very curious how older PC games will sound. Have a sizeable collection of GOG PC games: System Shock, Doom, Quake, Return to Wolfenstein, etc that I'm jonesing to see how they sound with the Mobius.

Aug 31, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #21 of 5,780
I'm very curious how older PC games will sound. Have a sizeable collection of GOG PC games: System Shock, Doom, Quake, Return to Wolfenstein, etc that I'm jonesing to see how they sound with the Mobius.

::insert witty quote about playing 8 bit midi on a pair of nautilus::

Aug 31, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #23 of 5,780
Hey guys, thanks for starting this. The other thread is getting a little crazy. I just got my pair delivered at work this morning. Haven't had a good listen yet. Only thirty minutes or so on lunch. Loved what I've heard so far. One thing I didn't hear, is any hiss, which is nice!! But I have noticed that the "3D" is on by default. Anyone else's? Does anyone know if there is any way to have this be off by default? I'm needing to turn it off every time I power on the headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #26 of 5,780
Ok so I played a bit of Outlast and even asked my wife to give Outlast and the division a go.

About me previously feeling like Mobius was too quiet, I realized that 3D on and 3D off have two different audio levels, 3D off was noticeably quieter than 3D on. With 3D on, it can get uncomfortably loud, I played Outlast at 80% and it was pushing comfort so I'd say, for me gaming will be around 70%-80% and music/youtube around 25%-50%. My wife played the two games at 50% and said details started to fade away if she put it any quieter.

Also regarding isolation/leakage, My wife could barely hear me loudly speak at 30% and couldn't hear me at all at 40%. I personally, with A/C running and dinner cooking, couldn't hear anything when I asked here to turn it up to 100%. I'd say it's safe to use in an office

My experience in Outlast was definitely a good one, at first 3D sounded meh but I realized after swapping around settings (and realizing the volume differences), it was set 2ch 3D. I switched it to HiFi mode and It was better but still not the "3D" I bought these for haha. I switched to 3D 7.1 and was blown away just like my experience in The Division. If it can sound this good on a pretty dated low budget horror game and extremely good on a AAA game, I have high expectations for RE7 and any other game that thrives on audio to create the atmosphere. I'm not a master level audiophile haha so I wont try to talk about highs/mids lows... But soundstage was outstanding and audio ques were accurately simulated in the 3D surround field. A few examples; the thunder sounded like it was south of me when I climbed into the hospital and when I looked to the left IRL it was still southward, when i was walking on glass the crunches sounded like they were below me regardless of where I looked IRL, and when a TV popped on and static continuously played to the north of me I spun around IRL in my chair and it remained north of me with no noticeable lag. I thought this would be gimmicky as I was a backer to the original waves NX bt dongle and was unimpressed... but that was mostly because the dongle ate batteries really fast. I will pretty much be using this anytime I'm not being active (I have bone conduction headphones things for that)

Wife's experience in Outlast - "I've played a few scary games, but with Mobius the sounds were a lot more sharp and distinct; so when the scary music picked up, it put me a lot more on edge than with any other head phones ive played with because i could clearly hear how loud my character was, how his breath pitch subtly picked up- i could practically feel how scared the character was and tbh it made the game even scarier. It was amazing how clear the audio was with these."

Wife's experience in The Division - "Again, everything just sounded even more than usual- the bombs sounded genuine, and every noise i heard was fully fleshed out and defined. And the surround sound feature is really cool- when i turned my back to the game the sound changed and followed as if i actually was facing away from all that was going on. There was no blurred noise, nothing at all was fuzzy like im used to."

edit; Tried out titanfall 2, it has a 7.1 option and the best way to describe these headphones playing that is "natural". other headphones made the titans voice and movements sound forced into my head while everything else plays further in the soundstage. With mobius, instead of cramming the titan's noises into my head, I feel like the titan is properly around me and all the outside noises are alot more naturally distanced. For people craving some good 7.1 content, I highly suggest checking out the story mode on this game. you can play free with EA access or is it origin? also $12 on G2A.

Hey guys, thanks for starting this. The other thread is getting a little crazy. I just got my pair delivered at work this morning. Haven't had a good listen yet. Only thirty minutes or so on lunch. Loved what I've heard so far. One thing I didn't hear is buzz, which is nice!! But I have noticed that the "3D" is on by default. Anyone else's? Does anyone know if there is any way to have this be off by default? I'm needing to turn it off every time I power on the headphones.

I haven't found a way

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #28 of 5,780
Aug 31, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #29 of 5,780
Thank you! From how you and your wife are describing your Mobius experiences, I think these are going to be my last gaming HP's. I have to start looking for a longer Type-C cable, but these HP should play very well with my Aero 15X. I actually stopped playing Resident Evil 7 since backing these cans. When I play using my DT's, my gf complains about the sound level (I want to FEEL the sound). Thank you again for your impressions and answering my question.

Ok so I played a bit of Outlast and even asked my wife to give Outlast and the division a go.

About me previously feeling like Mobius was too quiet, I realized that 3D on and 3D off have two different audio levels, 3D off was noticeably quieter than 3D on. With 3D on, it can get uncomfortably loud, I played Outlast at 80% and it was pushing comfort so I'd say, for me gaming will be around 70%-80% and music/youtube around 25%-50%. My wife played the two games at 50% and said details started to fade away if she put it any quieter.

Also regarding isolation/leakage, My wife could barely hear me loudly speak at 30% and couldn't hear me at all at 40%. I personally, with A/C running and dinner cooking, couldn't hear anything when I asked here to turn it up to 100%. I'd say it's safe to use in an office

My experience in Outlast was definitely a good one, at first 3D sounded meh but I realized after swapping around settings (and realizing the volume differences), it was set 2ch 3D. I switched it to HiFi mode and It was better but still not the "3D" I bought these for haha. I switched to 3D 7.1 and was blown away just like my experience in The Division. If it can sound this good on a pretty dated low budget horror game and extremely good on a AAA game, I have high expectations for RE7 and any other game that thrives on audio to create the atmosphere. I'm not a master level audiophile haha so I wont try to talk about highs/mids lows... But soundstage was outstanding and audio ques were accurately simulated in the 3D surround field. A few examples; the thunder sounded like it was south of me when I climbed into the hospital and when I looked to the left IRL it was still southward, when i was walking on glass the crunches sounded like they were below me regardless of where I looked IRL, and when a TV popped on and static continuously played to the north of me I spun around IRL in my chair and it remained north of me with no noticeable lag. I thought this would be gimmicky as I was a backer to the original waves NX bt dongle and was unimpressed... but that was mostly because the dongle ate batteries really fast. I will pretty much be using this anytime I'm not being active (I have bone conduction headphones things for that)

Wife's experience in Outlast - "I've played a few scary games, but with Mobius the sounds were a lot more sharp and distinct; so when the scary music picked up, it put me a lot more on edge than with any other head phones ive played with because i could clearly hear how loud my character was, how his breath pitch subtly picked up- i could practically feel how scared the character was and tbh it made the game even scarier. It was amazing how clear the audio was with these."

Wife's experience in The Division - "Again, everything just sounded even more than usual- the bombs sounded genuine, and every noise i heard was fully fleshed out and defined. And the surround sound feature is really cool- when i turned my back to the game the sound changed and followed as if i actually was facing away from all that was going on. There was no blurred noise, nothing at all was fuzzy like im used to."

I haven't found a way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back