Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Jan 17, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #2,731 of 5,780
Other than that on the Audeze website it says ""If your Mobius has the 7.1 audio mode it is up to date - DO NOT upgrade firmware". I have it, but on the other hand i miss features with were patched in v3 of the firmware. Can it be that the website just isn't up to date in that regard.
<Deleted>

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jan 17, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #2,732 of 5,780
Greetings everyone,

got my pair yesterday and first thing i notice is that as soon as the Mobius is turned on, there is a noticable kind of (low) noise (sough or static, like "yes there i am on standby") when nothing is played back, so it is not 100% quiet. Im still digging through the Thread, but didnt came across this yet. Is this the "normal" behaviour? It is connected via USB to the Pc, but the noise it is there also in BT Mode.

Other than that on the Audeze website it says ""If your Mobius has the 7.1 audio mode it is up to date - DO NOT upgrade firmware". I have it, but on the other hand i miss features with were patched in v3 of the firmware. Can it be that the website just isn't up to date in that regard.
Same here, happens sometimes though. Have you found a solution?

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #2,734 of 5,780
When you connect the Mobius and it says 7.1 instead of 8 channel audio device, it means you already have all the features and V3 is installed.
Ah ok, then i probably misunderstood it, because it says ""If you connect Mobius to USB and switch modes and if one of the modes says '7.1', you already have the latest and greatest firmware". When i switch modes via the button the female voice says "7.1", but when looking in Windows, it says it is a 8ch device. Ok, so i can update the firmware i guess.

Would be nice to hear from others, or you, about the noise which is present when nothing is played back.

Greetings

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #2,735 of 5,780
I am sorry it was a bit ambiguous. We have changed it here:
upload_2019-1-17_7-17-53.png

If the voice cue says 'Stereo' or just '7.1' insted of '7.1 channel' when switching between modes you have the latest. We are working on updating HQ app to detect firmware versions automatically.

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #2,736 of 5,780
I'm on a MacBook, and have a windows installation via bootcamp. I am able to run the Audeze HQ app as an administrator, and tried to run the update. I followed the instructions of Audeze to the letter, but I received an error that it failed to download the firmware. Is this a known issue and should I just try again (did anybody else experience this?), or does this have to do with the fact that my hardware is a MacBook? I can't imagine the last one, as it is no VM or anyhting like that and I've never had any issues with other peripherals because of it.
1. Can you confirm that you were not trying to use individual files within the .mfw package?
2. You were running int admin mode?

If answere to both 1 and 2 are yes, please power cycle your mobius, also restert your PC and try again.

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #2,737 of 5,780
Thanks for the quick response KMann, very nice to see such great support from Audeze here on the forums. Kudos!

1: I was not using individual files from (within) the .mfw file to update. I just selected the .mfw file which I downloaded from the Audeze website.
2: I was running the Audeze HQ application 'As an administrator': right-click on the application, selected 'run as administrator' after which Windows 10 prompts you to allow the application to make changes (which I allowed).

I will try again later today, and report back!

Jan 17, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #2,738 of 5,780
I will discuss with our team and see if we can help you without having to ship.

I have the same issue as the user ColinMacLaren. Firmwareupdate failed and now it doesnt get recognized by App or in Windows. No Sound. Would be nice if theres a fix, oitherwise i'll have to return it completely i guess. I am also living in germany. I don't use a virtual machine either of course.
I did all the update steps correctly as described in .pdf https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Uf8G4v1S59C-wp3npJHi6mpNhavBINg7/view

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #2,739 of 5,780
Thanks for the quick response KMann, very nice to see such great support from Audeze here on the forums. Kudos!

1: I was not using individual files from (within) the .mfw file to update. I just selected the .mfw file which I downloaded from the Audeze website.
2: I was running the Audeze HQ application 'As an administrator': right-click on the application, selected 'run as administrator' after which Windows 10 prompts you to allow the application to make changes (which I allowed).

I will try again later today, and report back!

I tried it on my Surface Pro, and it worked like a charm! Took about 2 minutes. Enjoying the warm preset as we speak on hi-res mode using Tidal. Very fun! :D

EDIT: I had some time to listen to the new 'warm' EQ preset more extensively. My conclusion after an hour of listening and switching between the different EQ presets is that connected via USB and in hi-res mode, the default setting is still the best. It gives me all the good stuff the planar-magnetic technology has to offer and the Mobius really shines that way. However, when connected over BT to my iPhone, default was too boring and the music preset wasn't cutting it either. Especially when on the go.

The warm preset fills that gap perfectly. It gives me that 'oomph' that I was missing when just casually listening for fun, when out and about using BT and having a lot of stuff happening around me. When in the office, and listening cirtically to my music I connect over USB, put the Mobius on hi-res mode and use Tidal hifi and it gives me a true eargasmic experience!

For me, this update makes the Mobius more versatile and satisfies my portable BT needs perfectly!

As far as I'm concerned; very well done Audeze! I'm looking forward to trying the 3D without head-tracking now!

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #2,740 of 5,780
@Audeze & @KMann :

I have a few questions about the fmwr update everyone is talking about:

1. Is it a finalized update, or is it still in "beta" format?

2. If finalized, is it recommended for all users, including Mac OS users? And where can I find it?

3. I use mostly Macs and IOS devices, but I do have one windows PC that I occasionally use for windows exclusive tasks. It is how I first configured my Mobius on the App for later use on my Macs.==>> i.e. Initial configuration on a PC, for subsequent use on Macs. Now if one cannot use a Mac for the current firmware update, can one follow the same procedure of updating via the windows app?

4. If one gets a firmware update using a windows PC, what happens when one returns to use the Mobius on the Mac with the Mac App?

There is obviously something, or more than one thing, in this process about which I am unclear, as reflected in the questions I am asking.

At any rate, the Mobius works well for what I got it for on my Mac, so I am not in a rush to get any firmware updates, unless it can bring some really cool enhancements to the table.

Any helpful thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #2,741 of 5,780
@KMann , @Audeze
I miss some things in (V3) that were largely discussed here for a new firmware, see lists below:

- A fix for the channel inbalance caused by different acoustic properties of the left and right cup, causing the frequency response to drop off 1-2dB in the right cup below ca. 2kHz, up to 3dB below 100 Hz.
- A fix of the channel inbalance which causes all gaming EQ presets to shift ca. 1.5dB to the left.
In the sum these two create a significant shift of the stereo image to the left.
- The announced basshead EQ preset seems not yet included.
- 3-D Auto sluggish behavior.
- 3-D Manual long term drift to the center.
- Headtracking too strong for some people (like me) in the front +/- 30°.

I did not yet update the firmware as I did not have found the time for the process.
I am now wondering if it's worth to risk the possible hassle. I am already on (V2) and don't have any of the problems mentioned to be fixed in (V3).
The most important fixes for me would have been correction of the 2 channel inbalances, which in the sum generate a problem in daily use for the Mobius, even more in 3D, where an outside/source side correction doesn't fully do the trick.
I find myself using the Mobius lesser these days because of the audio related problems mentioned.

Are these still scheduled for a fix?

FIRMWARE version history, Release notes:

(v3) 2018.11.16:
1. Fixes bugs related charging LED.
2. Changes in voice cues related to 7.1 ch and head tracking
3. Fixes a bug that caused voice cue to disappear when switching from 7.1 to 2Ch
4. Fixes a bug - when powering off in LDAC Hi-res mode, powering on with USB
connected , caused it to put Mobius in Hi-res mode instead of the previous USB mode
(V2) 2018.11.01:
1. Improves mic gain and makes sure mic gain range is set correctly.
2. Improves noise gate.
3. Mobius Channel setting (2ch/8ch/Hi-Res), 3D mode (off/auto/manual) and EQ
presets are remembered on power cycle
4. Other minor bug fixes
(V1) 2018.09.26:
1. Adds a ‘Warm’ presets that adds a warm tilt. Boosts the bass and brings the treble down
a little.
2018.09.10:
2. Mic: Increases Mic gain to compensate for low Mic volume while using Win 10 and Win 8
Microsoft USB audio drivers.
3. Persistence mode: Remembers the last EQ preset on power cycle.

Jan 18, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #2,742 of 5,780
@KMann , @Audeze
I miss some things in (V3) that were largely discussed here for a new firmware, see lists below:

- A fix for the channel inbalance caused by different acoustic properties of the left and right cup, causing the frequency response to drop off 1-2dB in the right cup below ca. 2kHz, up to 3dB below 100 Hz.
- A fix of the channel inbalance which causes all gaming EQ presets to shift ca. 1.5dB to the left.
In the sum these two create a significant shift of the stereo image to the left.
- The announced basshead EQ preset seems not yet included.
- 3-D Auto sluggish behavior.
- 3-D Manual long term drift to the center.
- Headtracking too strong for some people (like me) in the front +/- 30°.

I did not yet update the firmware as I did not have found the time for the process.
I am now wondering if it's worth to risk the possible hassle. I am already on (V2) and don't have any of the problems mentioned to be fixed in (V3).
The most important fixes for me would have been correction of the 2 channel inbalances, which in the sum generate a problem in daily use for the Mobius, even more in 3D, where an outside/source side correction doesn't fully do the trick.
I find myself using the Mobius lesser these days because of the audio related problems mentioned.

Are these still scheduled for a fix?

FIRMWARE version history, Release notes:

(v3) 2018.11.16:
1. Fixes bugs related charging LED.
2. Changes in voice cues related to 7.1 ch and head tracking
3. Fixes a bug that caused voice cue to disappear when switching from 7.1 to 2Ch
4. Fixes a bug - when powering off in LDAC Hi-res mode, powering on with USB
connected , caused it to put Mobius in Hi-res mode instead of the previous USB mode
(V2) 2018.11.01:
1. Improves mic gain and makes sure mic gain range is set correctly.
2. Improves noise gate.
3. Mobius Channel setting (2ch/8ch/Hi-Res), 3D mode (off/auto/manual) and EQ
presets are remembered on power cycle
4. Other minor bug fixes
(V1) 2018.09.26:
1. Adds a ‘Warm’ presets that adds a warm tilt. Boosts the bass and brings the treble down
a little.
2018.09.10:
2. Mic: Increases Mic gain to compensate for low Mic volume while using Win 10 and Win 8
Microsoft USB audio drivers.
3. Persistence mode: Remembers the last EQ preset on power cycle.

@KaiSc We have been testing V3 Beta for a while and we have been focused on making the firmware upgrade process easier and user friendly through the Audeze HQ app. So except for some bug fixes related to user experience there has not been any major changes over what you have.

We will continue to improve it over future updates.

Jan 18, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #2,745 of 5,780
@ColinMacLaren ,@Chintz -- We have discussed this and we feel it will be more efficient for on of our cs reps is able to do a goto meeting with you and walk you through the process. As soon as we have worked out a few details, I will PM you both.
Ok, i will monitor this Thread and my PM's closely. Thanks for the update for now. The cs rep is located in the US i guess. Should be fine to find a possible Meeting time when i am already at home from work in the evening and at the same time normal working hours for him as US habitant. :>

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back