Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Jan 7, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #2,641 of 5,780
Regarding AUX INPUT - Analog Connection:

To know what (headphones) amplifier or line output level would be necessary or suited to drive Mobius Aux Input I have measured it's parameters.

WARNING: anything with a significantly higher output voltage is said to be capable of destroying Mobius!
Where this destructive limit is, only Audeze can answer, and (@KMann @Audeze ) I think they should give figures here.

Explanation: Mobius Aux Input uses an ADC (Analog to Digital Converter) with a fixed maximum input, which does not change when you turn Mobius volume control.
If you go beyond the ADC's limits Mobius will distort, no matter what the volume control on Mobius is set to.

The maximum undistorted level the Aux Input can handle is: 1.6 Veff.
The Aux Input's impedance is: 4250 Ohms, independent of frequency within the audio range.
The sensitivity of Mobius thru the Aux Input, 3D off, DefaultEQ, on Bruel&Kjaer 4153 coupler: 108dB SPL @ 1Volt, 1kHz.

This means, anything to drive the Aux does NOT need a lot of current, but about 1 volt of output voltage (not to be confused with the "hard to drive" discussion for high impedance dynamic headphones).
An iPhone, e.g, can do that.
Most desktop CD players line outs have 2V, so they are suited to drive the Mobius Aux Input, the 2dB overvoltage is reduced enough by the player's output resistance on most models.

Mobius is significantly louder (ca. 3dB) then a Sennheiser HD800, so anything that can drive the HD800 to sufficient level can easily drive Mobius.

BTW: the frequency responses are almost identical between USB and Aux, except for a low frequency roll off with a lower corner frequency of 22 Hz on the Aux, and a tiny deviation of 0.5dB in the left cup caused by different acoustic properties when the plugs are in or not.

That’s a bloody lot of detail

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #2,642 of 5,780
That’s a bloody lot of detail
But again, or i get hiss noise with aux or i get distortion.. What a mess this headphone with amplifiers :frowning2:

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #2,643 of 5,780
But again, or i get hiss noise with aux or i get distortion.. What a mess this headphone with amplifiers :frowning2:
Plugged to the analog headphone out of an iPhone I get neither hiss nor distortion, but a clear sound that's not significantly different to an USB connection.
Of cause, Mobius can only amplify what's there, if the primary signal is of bad quality or noisy this will be audible.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #2,644 of 5,780
Plugged to the analog headphone out of an iPhone I get neither hiss nor distortion, but a clear sound that's not significantly different to an USB connection.
Of coarse, Mobius can only amplify what's there, if the primary signal is of bad quality or noisy this will be audible.
Currently i have a 450€ amp/dac, if I raise up a little more for loud volume, i get distortion, if instead I raise up Mobius volume, i get noisy hiss from the headset, boring At the Point if i use low volume The hiss cover The sound and quality.. If my headphone isn't the only one defective, I must change headphone, do you think El-8 closed or titanium is good?

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #2,645 of 5,780
Currently i have a 450€ amp/dac, if I raise up a little more for loud volume, i get distortion, if instead I raise up Mobius volume, i get noisy hiss from the headset, boring At the Point if i use low volume The hiss cover The sound and quality.. If my headphone isn't the only one defective, I must change headphone, do you think El-8 closed or titanium is good?
If you have any other quality headphones at hand try plug this into your amp/dac set. Mobius does not behave much different then a Sennheiser HD 58x e.g.
If you get a proper signal from such, it should be possible to get the same from Mobius.
Do you get sufficient level when using Mobius with USB?

I just tried with my iPhone- I get no noise/hiss at all even with Mobius set to max. vol, and an undistorted soundlevel that's too loud to stand it for more then a few seconds - and I'm a professional audio engineer and can stand quite some level.
This means if you hear noise this origins from your Amp/DAC set.

Do you hear noise when the analog cable is plugged into Mobius but not on the other side, and Mobius is set to maximum volume?
I don't, the open plug doesn't even pick up hum out of the air.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #2,646 of 5,780

Does your Amp/DAC have a line out? Plug the Mobius into that. If it’s a decent DAC then it will put out a solid line-level signal that won’t clip the Mobius. If that’s too quiet, either your Mobius is defective or you’re going deaf.

Jan 7, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #2,647 of 5,780
Does your Amp/DAC have a line out? Plug the Mobius into that. If it’s a decent DAC then it will put out a solid line-level signal that won’t clip the Mobius. If that’s too quiet, either your Mobius is defective or you’re going deaf.
Yeah my Sony Pha-3 says it have a Audio in/line out on the back.. I should Plug in there the Mobius? But how i'm supposed to make it work with Ps3 or Ps4? I have an optical cable..

Jan 7, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #2,648 of 5,780
Yeah my Sony Pha-3 says it have a Audio in/line out on the back.. I should Plug in there the Mobius? But how i'm supposed to make it work with Ps3 or Ps4? I have an optical cable..
On PS3 Mobius is said to work with USB. You need to go into PS3's audio device settings to activate it. Mobius must be set to 2-Ch:
https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...-1-channel-to-2-channel-or-Hi-Res-Mode-in-USB
EDIT: I have to correct myself, I just spent an hour trying to get music and video sound out of PS3- Mobius via USB or Bluetooth, but that is not possible.
Seems on PS3 headsets are only usable for communication, as far as I found even game sound will not go through Mobius with USB or Bluetooth.
You need an analog / Aux In connection.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #2,649 of 5,780

PlayStation to DAC with optical. Mobius in line-out on the read of the Pha-3. But, try using USB from the PlayStation that should also work.

Jan 7, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #2,650 of 5,780
PlayStation to DAC with optical. Mobius in line-out on the read of the Pha-3. But, try using USB from the PlayStation that should also work.
Oh it works with line out, but what change instead of normal headphone output?
Well, about Ps3 usb, it recognise the Mobius, but I don't get the audio, don't know why.. But never mind, i tried with USB on Ps4, and even At max volume, volume it's still low for my taste, so i guess with Ps3 will not change too much with USB..

Jan 7, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #2,651 of 5,780
If you have any other quality headphones at hand try plug this into your amp/dac set. Mobius does not behave much different then a Sennheiser HD 58x e.g.
If you get a proper signal from such, it should be possible to get the same from Mobius.
Do you get sufficient level when using Mobius with USB?

I just tried with my iPhone- I get no noise/hiss at all even with Mobius set to max. vol, and an undistorted soundlevel that's too loud to stand it for more then a few seconds - and I'm a professional audio engineer and can stand quite some level.
This means if you hear noise this origins from your Amp/DAC set.

Do you hear noise when the analog cable is plugged into Mobius but not on the other side, and Mobius is set to maximum volume?
I don't, the open plug doesn't even pick up hum out of the air.
I have a Sony Z7 pair now, it works Great for volume level and distortion handling..
If I Plug via USB on Ps4 the volume level is not loud enough.. So if i Plug the aux on amp connected to ps4 and i raise to max level the Mobius, i get annoying hiss.. If i connect via Bluetooth to my Sony XZPremium smartphone, no hiss, good sound volume, can hit loudly enough.. If instead i connect to smartphone directly with Aux, if I raise mobius volume to max, I hear again the annoying hiss.. Only if i turn down the volume whell of 8 shots, i get low enough hiss, but still audible, It's around to quiet level At about - 16 wheel shoots.. On my smartphone with aux is not so loud enough, while with ldac defenitely is
And YES! The hiss is still audible with the analog cable (aux) connected on the Mobius, but not on the device! Still from the first time o received the pair! *+Goddamn

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #2,652 of 5,780
Oh it works with line out, but what change instead of normal headphone output?
Well, about Ps3 usb, it recognise the Mobius, but I don't get the audio, don't know why.. But never mind, i tried with USB on Ps4, and even At max volume, volume it's still low for my taste, so i guess with Ps3 will not change too much with USB..

On line-out, you’re getting the unamplified line level signal, this is what the Mobius is expecting. If you feed the Mobius with the amplified headphone output you are potentially sending too hot of a signal and risk clipping. Clipping can damage the drivers in the Mobius.

Jan 7, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #2,653 of 5,780
On line-out, you’re getting the unamplified line level signal, this is what the Mobius is expecting. If you feed the Mobius with the amplified headphone output you are potentially sending too hot of a signal and risk clipping. Clipping can damage the drivers in the Mobius.
Oh that Great, and better, really thank you.. So now i can't risk to clip anything, and i see i can't change volume on the dac. It would be perfect, if only I didn't get hiss from the headphone.... If the amplifier of the Mobius was more powerful, I should have get more volume on line out? If not, if the Mobius had more power handling, it would work Great with amplifiers?

Jan 8, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #2,654 of 5,780
I have a Sony Z7 pair now, it works Great for volume level and distortion handling..
If I Plug via USB on Ps4 the volume level is not loud enough.. So if i Plug the aux on amp connected to ps4 and i raise to max level the Mobius, i get annoying hiss.. If i connect via Bluetooth to my Sony XZPremium smartphone, no hiss, good sound volume, can hit loudly enough.. If instead i connect to smartphone directly with Aux, if I raise mobius volume to max, I hear again the annoying hiss.. Only if i turn down the volume whell of 8 shots, i get low enough hiss, but still audible, It's around to quiet level At about - 16 wheel shoots.. On my smartphone with aux is not so loud enough, while with ldac defenitely is
And YES! The hiss is still audible with the analog cable (aux) connected on the Mobius, but not on the device! Still from the first time o received the pair! *+Goddamn
I plugged the cable into a DAC that puts out 1.6V @ 0dBFS (digital full scale), this is the hottest level Aux In can stand without distortion.
When I bring Mobius Vol. Wheel 16 clicks down, the music (Tina Turner Golden Eye) is still a good amount louder then the "Gypsy Muse" announcing Mobius settings.
At 19 clicks down Tina and the Gypsy Muse are at the same level.
As mentioned, no hiss even at ear splitting max vol (too loud, I can't even put this on my head) in this configuration.

If you don't hear hiss at all with bluetooth or USB, maybe your Mobius Aux In is broken?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #2,655 of 5,780
I plugged the cable into a DAC that puts out 1.6V @ 0dBFS (digital full scale), this is the hottest level Aux In can stand without distortion.
When I bring Mobius Vol. Wheel 16 clicks down, the music (Tina Turner Golden Eye) is still a good amount louder then the "Gypsy Muse" announcing Mobius settings.
At 19 clicks down Tina and the Gypsy Muse are at the same level.
As mentioned, no hiss even at ear splitting max vol (too loud, I can't even put this on my head) in this configuration.

If you don't hear hiss at all with bluetooth or USB, maybe your Mobius Aux In is broken?
I really don't know.. I'm definitely not alone https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pol...hiss-noise-floor-do-you-hear-it.890462/page-2

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back