Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 7, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #1,532 of 5,780
I was only able to find a link buried in the product page. It should ideally be on the support page as well which is the standard location for product drivers and software, but it's not.
Yeah, thank you, I found the same. Someone else PMed the link to me. To save someone else the frustration, here it is:

https://www.audeze.com/audeze-hq-application

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #1,533 of 5,780
But the cups surface is not condusive to aftermarket pads, being designed for the stock pads, so a crafted mounting ring would still be better.

So, Im looking at these "Dekoni Audio Ear Pads fit Audeze LCD Series Headphones - Fenestrated Sheepskin". I don't have my Mobius yet but they will be here next week. I have not installed aftermarkets before. Are you saying I need something special before these will attach properly? Also, assuming I get the aftermarket on, if I don't like them, is it easy to just reattach the original earpads? Or once they come off, they are trash (guessing the sticky surface may be ruined)? Also, third question, do you think it is a safe bet that I would like these sheepskin better than the ones that come with the mobius - I'm not an audiophile and will be using these strictly for gaming. Thanks for your help!

Oct 7, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #1,534 of 5,780
So, Im looking at these "Dekoni Audio Ear Pads fit Audeze LCD Series Headphones - Fenestrated Sheepskin". I don't have my Mobius yet but they will be here next week. I have not installed aftermarkets before. Are you saying I need something special before these will attach properly? Also, assuming I get the aftermarket on, if I don't like them, is it easy to just reattach the original earpads? Or once they come off, they are trash (guessing the sticky surface may be ruined)? Also, third question, do you think it is a safe bet that I would like these sheepskin better than the ones that come with the mobius - I'm not an audiophile and will be using these strictly for gaming. Thanks for your help!

The stock pads for the mobius are attached to the blue ring, that pops off and on very easily. I don't know that I'd recommend the LCD pads for the mobius... they're huge. I've got a pair of the elite velours for the audio technica m50x coming tomorrow, the ear holes for those match the Mobius stock pads, and they have the standard mounting lip/ring that should hopefully slide easily over the Mobius cup. That model doesn't have a fenerated option though, so you'd have to try the ones for the sennheiser HD6XX, which may not work properly since they have the plastic mounting ring for the sennheisers, not sure if you'd want to mangle an $80 pair of pads. The fenerated pads for fostex and beyer could work, but they're circular instead of oval (60mm x 60mm, the mobius is 60x40).

My best advice is wait and try the stock pads, if you find your ears getting too sweaty or uncomfortable pressure around your ears, then try something different. The Mobius isn't designed for aftermarket pads though so its going to takesome fiddling.

Oct 7, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #1,536 of 5,780
So I've had a persisting problem with my mobius where the high frequency sound just cracks/distorted in 3D mode. If i change it to high res mode it seems to disappear although the sound at first is distorted and then fixes itself. I've tried to record it where i run the same sound twice in high res mode https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tX7QFowcZ0ElO3ShYVIGrAZXHflKVBBU/view?usp=sharing. The distortion you hear in the start is what it always sound like in 3D mode. The problem sometimes disappear but keeps reappearing. The mobius in connected with usb cable and everything in updated and grounded. Do anyone have an idea to what is wrong?

EDIT:
Tried recording in the 3D mode https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xek6stsRoJvD2_z87M1Z9gUJWS5oTdpS/view?usp=sharing you can clearly hear the distortion. Only the sound at 8 seconds is clean. The sounds are from the windows 10 test button

EDIT 2:
So this is what it sounds like working https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iWuDHzfluXsK0HNEua2TX0efDTRYXpj1/view?usp=sharing but this working sound is not permanent.

Try to switch EQ mode once, does it go away?
I have an issue when switching back and forth between HiRes and 7.1 the internal DSP seems to become confused.
Look here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-mobius-review-impressions.887808/page-89#post-14517501

Yes tried everything. This is what is sounds like when it works https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iWuDHzfluXsK0HNEua2TX0efDTRYXpj1/view?usp=sharing. The headphones either works or don't depending on the day.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #1,538 of 5,780
Finally got my headphones back from RMA(I was backer 26). Still has hiss. Reduced quite a bit and I guess I'd call it acceptable if you got a good deal on them.

Long and short of it is Audeze said they'd make the hiss inaudible. I think they even bolded that bit in their multi paragraph post about how they'd make things right. Here we are though, it's audible.

I am very sorry. And yes the hiss is unfortunately loud and clear.

Oct 7, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #1,539 of 5,780
I am very sorry. And yes the hiss is unfortunately loud and clear.

Yeah, it stinks. I'm posting everywhere I can to let people know about this problem with their product support and quality. People need to know they are taking a gamble on getting a good unit or a bad once that won't be fixed.

Fortunately, for people ordering retail or off Audeze.com, they at least have the satisfaction guarantee they can invoke. Sad to say us early adopters of IGG don't get that since we technically didn't buy anything.

If @Audeze won't fix the units that people are unhappy with so they can enjoy their Mobius as much as the people with units that have no hiss problem then they deserve to have the word spread far and wide. Claiming that a very obvious hiss or white noise is within spec when there are lots of units without the problem either shows a lack of caring, or that their spec range is so wide that it calls into question their ability to produce this product with any sense of consistent quality.

They fixed the original problem, which was apparently even worse than it is now, I'll give them that. But that can also be called meeting expectations. It's not really going above and beyond when they are just doing what they should have done. I can given them props for doing the right thing.

Now we have units that fell through the cracks. It happens, manufacturing isn't perfect, and fixing is just a form of remanufacturing, so it has all the same pitfalls as the original production. But the quality is still expected, and the same expectations apply to support the people who still, for whatever reason, have these issues. Audeze has a new opportunity to make it right again. What they do with that opportunity will define who they are as a company for the people with this problem and will inform future decisions about their products for those people and the people that see it play out.

Audeze has already told me to contact their support, which I have already done. The response I got back doesn't fill me with confidence that the cost of shipping $25-30, will be well spent when they tell me that 100% of the units RMA'd were sent back to their respective owners as not having any problems that they could detect. They aren't fixing the issue so why bother spending the money for shipping. Until I get some sort of assurance that it won't be completely fruitless then I'm holding out. My only options at this point are Ebay or keep them which I still haven't made the choice on. But until then I have an online voice that can spread pretty far.

Oct 7, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #1,540 of 5,780

Why not wait until you actually have the Mobius to test the stock pads before buying new pads for them? The stock pads aren't that bad, not my favorite pads as I find they get a bit warm, but not the worst either. I can wear the Mobius for a long time without any issue.

Oct 7, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #1,541 of 5,780
Yeah, it stinks. I'm posting everywhere I can to let people know about this problem with their product support and quality. People need to know they are taking a gamble on getting a good unit or a bad once that won't be fixed.

Fortunately, for people ordering retail or off Audeze.com, they at least have the satisfaction guarantee they can invoke. Sad to say us early adopters of IGG don't get that since we technically didn't buy anything.

If @Audeze won't fix the units that people are unhappy with so they can enjoy their Mobius as much as the people with units that have no hiss problem then they deserve to have the word spread far and wide. Claiming that a very obvious hiss or white noise is within spec when there are lots of units without the problem either shows a lack of caring, or that their spec range is so wide that it calls into question their ability to produce this product with any sense of consistent quality.

They fixed the original problem, which was apparently even worse than it is now, I'll give them that. But that can also be called meeting expectations. It's not really going above and beyond when they are just doing what they should have done. I can given them props for doing the right thing.

Now we have units that fell through the cracks. It happens, manufacturing isn't perfect, and fixing is just a form of remanufacturing, so it has all the same pitfalls as the original production. But the quality is still expected, and the same expectations apply to support the people who still, for whatever reason, have these issues. Audeze has a new opportunity to make it right again. What they do with that opportunity will define who they are as a company for the people with this problem and will inform future decisions about their products for those people and the people that see it play out.

Audeze has already told me to contact their support, which I have already done. The response I got back doesn't fill me with confidence that the cost of shipping $25-30, will be well spent when they tell me that 100% of the units RMA'd were sent back to their respective owners as not having any problems that they could detect. They aren't fixing the issue so why bother spending the money for shipping. Until I get some sort of assurance that it won't be completely fruitless then I'm holding out. My only options at this point are Ebay or keep them which I still haven't made the choice on. But until then I have an online voice that can spread pretty far.

At this point, either return them to Audeze to see if they will be repaired or drop it. Everyone knows where you stand, including the separate thread you started about it and both Mobius threads. Frankly, you’ve spent more in time complaining about this than the $25 for shipping.

And next time, don’t buy prerelease products if you can’t handle the reality that there may be some issues which take a little time to get resolved. Wait until they operate perfectly, then buy.

Oct 7, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #1,542 of 5,780

I'm really interested in hearing the hiss that other units have so that I can compare to my own. I have a hiss in mine, but it's so quiet to my ears to be almost inaudible. I'm just interested to know if maybe my ears just suck in spite of what the audiologist told me (my hearing is great for my age, apparently). Unfortunately I don't think anyone lives close enough to test this, and with my broken back that has me stuck in bed, I can't meet up with anyone.

Oct 7, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #1,543 of 5,780
At this point, either return them to Audeze to see if they will be repaired or drop it. Everyone knows where you stand, including the separate thread you started about it and both Mobius threads. Frankly, you’ve spent more in time complaining about this than the $25 for shipping.

And next time, don’t buy prerelease products if you can’t handle the reality that there may be some issues which take a little time to get resolved. Wait until they operate perfectly, then buy.

Everyone knows? Great, mission accomplished so far. And I don't consider it a waste of time, I consider it community service, for which I freely volunteer my time. I type pretty quick so not a lot of skin off my back.

As far as the reality things taking a little time to sort out. I've been told its a physical problem with components. The only thing that can be "sorted out" are firmware glitches, like the mic gain problem. This problem can only be fixed by a hardware change or a replacement unit that doesn't have the problem. So, what exactly am I supposed to be waiting for?

Oct 7, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #1,544 of 5,780
Everyone knows? Great, mission accomplished so far. And I don't consider it a waste of time, I consider it community service, for which I freely volunteer my time. I type pretty quick so not a lot of skin off my back.

As far as the reality things taking a little time to sort out. I've been told its a physical problem with components. The only thing that can be "sorted out" are firmware glitches, like the mic gain problem. This problem can only be fixed by a hardware change or a replacement unit that doesn't have the problem. So, what exactly am I supposed to be waiting for?

Since you haven’t sent them back to Audeze to be assessed, you don’t know what the fixes might or might not be. Or if a replacement might be made available.

How many more times are you going to make essentially the same post without taking the one action that has at least the potential of resolving the problem for you?

Oct 7, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #1,545 of 5,780
Since you haven’t sent them back to Audeze to be assessed, you don’t know what the fixes might or might not be. Or if a replacement might be made available.

How many more times are you going to make essentially the same post without taking the one action that has at least the potential of resolving the problem for you?

make good use of "ignore". already posted i have listened to unit(S). would not respond to any further questions regarding hiss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back