Audeze MM-100
Jan 23, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #1,383 of 1,447
Glued pads is very much an LCD move. I wonder if it's the only way they could get the bass response they did. I know Audeze is getting a lot of press for their speciality headphones (gamer, studio, etc) but I almost think we'd be better off if the MM-100 was instead an LCD-1 or 2 revision, and tuned for audiophiles as opposed to a studio monitor use. I do like the single-entry cable but I don't need it. However, the MM-100's chassis and design is the best that Audeze has made and it deserves to be on more headphones in their line-up.
my question is what do you considered "tuned for audiophiles" if tuning for studio use is supposedly the reference target that they are...well making there music to sound like?

Jan 23, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #1,384 of 1,447
my question is what do you considered "tuned for audiophiles" if tuning for studio use is supposedly the reference target that they are...well making there music to sound like?
tuned for audiophiles? What you mean is neutral. But you have that just like with pictures, films, etc. It's a guideline. A reference. But that has nothing to do with “audiophile”. For example, an FR that is flat is relevant if you produce music, but less so when you listen to music. In the “audiophile” scene and in general, people tend to use the Harman Target. In other words, an FR that a large number of people are satisfied with.

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #1,386 of 1,447
It's a philosophy behind the intention of the product. Since the notion of neutrality is a zone more than a single thin line, how far you push (or don't) within (and outside) that zone are all choices made by the manufacturer based on the target audience. If you're aiming for a studio use, that's different than a hobbyist enjoyment use, especially when slight tweaks can shift the sound in impactful ways. For example, imho the HD560S is best for production and monitoring, the HD660S2 is best for enjoyment. Both are in the zone of neutral, though frequency response is only a part of the reason why they are meant for different audiences. Tbf, some folks (including lot of well-regarded reviewers), love that flat studio tuning but I find that it often puts mids too far forward, and bass is an afterthought. Ymmv.

Just in terms of the MM-100, if I was to use it for mixing, I'd still want to throw on a little EQ, though I'd be a lot more precise about ear gain and such. For enjoyment, I find that a general lower treble pull as I mentioned up thread works for me, and when paired with something as smooth and refined as the RU-7, the MM-100 can sound quite enjoyable.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #1,387 of 1,447
Jan 24, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #1,388 of 1,447
Well, then: Dan Clark Audio must be imbeciles in your mind. DCA glues on pads to its Expanse headphones that cost $4,000.
Just shows that spending lots doesn't necessarily buy you good engineering. Surely, pads are the one thing that should be easily and cheaply replaceable ... ?

Jan 24, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #1,389 of 1,447
It's a philosophy behind the intention of the product. Since the notion of neutrality is a zone more than a single thin line, how far you push (or don't) within (and outside) that zone are all choices made by the manufacturer based on the target audience. If you're aiming for a studio use, that's different than a hobbyist enjoyment use, especially when slight tweaks can shift the sound in impactful ways. For example, imho the HD560S is best for production and monitoring, the HD660S2 is best for enjoyment. Both are in the zone of neutral, though frequency response is only a part of the reason why they are meant for different audiences. Tbf, some folks (including lot of well-regarded reviewers), love that flat studio tuning but I find that it often puts mids too far forward, and bass is an afterthought. Ymmv.

Just in terms of the MM-100, if I was to use it for mixing, I'd still want to throw on a little EQ, though I'd be a lot more precise about ear gain and such. For enjoyment, I find that a general lower treble pull as I mentioned up thread works for me, and when paired with something as smooth and refined as the RU-7, the MM-100 can sound quite enjoyable.
Hi Zeus,
I share your concerns on the reported exaggerated high mids. Demo units have still not been available here, 6 months after the first production run, so hard to know how annoying this would be in production use?

Other peculiarities reported by early adopters on this forum and elsewhere have further discouraged me from ordering the MM-100 without a demo evaluation first: An apparent polarity error (?); glued, quite tight, shallow and sweaty plastic earpads and a plastic inner headband that works itself loose over time. Add to that the early wiring mixup chalked up here by Sankar to a 'misunderstanding' in the final assembly process in LA? All in all I would have to see and hear these cans before deciding to buy them.

Just yesterday Sennheiser released these new TOTL dynamic headphones for pro users. Demo units are available for evaluation in pro stores in Europe now. Has anyone here been able to try them already?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #1,390 of 1,447
Do you put plastic pads on your "upper-end-models" ?
If you're referring to leather-free pads, they're available as an option in the drop down menu on our product page for models LCD-2 and above. Our standard pads for our LCD line is made of genuine leather.

The following come with leather-free

Maxwell
MM-100
LCD-GX
LCD-2 Classic
LCD-2 Closed-back

Note you can purchase leather pads for the LCDs above on our accessories page: https://www.audeze.com/collections/accessories

We do not have concrete plans for leather options for MM-100 and Maxwell at this time.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jan 24, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #1,391 of 1,447
leather-free pads

I am not broke. I am just money-free 🤣

Total BS !

We do not have concrete plans for leather options for MM-100

So you glue plastic or as you call them "leather free" pads.

I guess, I will opt for "MM-100 free" life and buy "glue-free" FIIO FT5 instead :)

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #1,393 of 1,447
Anyone here yet to received their order from mid-to-late December? Ordered directly from Audeze website. In the US.
I just received mine today (01/26). I ordered through Audio46 on 01/22...Haven't had a chance to listen yet, I also had another pair of headphones to check out/listen to that came in yesterday...
Cheers

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #1,394 of 1,447
Just received these yesterday. I am very surprised (in a good way). Clearly they are mixing/mastering headphones, but the sound is enjoyable and clean and the build for $399 are you kidding me? These are very well buillt. Simple but they have their own elegance. Comfortable and having the cable on only one side is a nice benefit.

Great job Audeze !

Jan 28, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #1,395 of 1,447
Just received these yesterday. I am very surprised (in a good way). Clearly they are mixing/mastering headphones, but the sound is enjoyable and clean and the build for $399 are you kidding me? These are very well buillt. Simple but they have their own elegance. Comfortable and having the cable on only one side is a nice benefit.

Great job Audeze !
I agree! The build is so nice, everytime I pick them up is enjoyable and I find the gel earpads and overall fit to be about perfect for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back