Audeze MM-100
Jan 19, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #1,366 of 1,453
Just got mine an hour ago and got a few songs in with the ifi Finale!

Incredibly well built and comfortable for my head, extremely detailed and vocals seem to sit nicely and a bit forward.

For just listening, I’d agree with a lot of the light on bass comments but that’s not what they are meant for anyway and I’m sure with EQ they are capable of plenty of bass for listening. I really enjoy the stage size as well.

For (imagined) studio use, I can see these being a great tool as reference but I’ll try that out sometime soon.

For today I’ll just be listening with them and comparing to Sundara and only
Plan to keep one. It may not be a fair comparison anymore though with the Sundara being down to $200! If the sound ends up being similar to me, the better build quality and comfort may make the MM-100 worth the extra $.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #1,367 of 1,453
This is definitely a headphone that i think needs EQ to sound fun. But like a lot of folks who have reviewed it, I agree the changes are not to the bass but the upper mids/lower treble that need tweaking. Pushing those peaks down to a relaxed level makes the bass and lower mids cut through a lot stronger because that allows the overall volume to go up and the lower half has more weight against a relaxed upper half.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #1,368 of 1,453
This is definitely a headphone that i think needs EQ to sound fun. But like a lot of folks who have reviewed it, I agree the changes are not to the bass but the upper mids/lower treble that need tweaking. Pushing those peaks down to a relaxed level makes the bass and lower mids cut through a lot stronger because that allows the overall volume to go up and the lower half has more weight against a relaxed upper half.
Would you please share your EQ settings? I'd love to try out some others.

Jan 19, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #1,369 of 1,453
Plan to listen to them tomorrow (at last). Not a fan of plastic pads, but if they sound right, who knows.
I do not use EQ, so if it proves necessary to make MM-100 "sound fun", then it will be a no-go (for me).

Jan 20, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #1,370 of 1,453
Just got mine an hour ago and got a few songs in with the ifi Finale!

Incredibly well built and comfortable for my head, extremely detailed and vocals seem to sit nicely and a bit forward.

For just listening, I’d agree with a lot of the light on bass comments but that’s not what they are meant for anyway and I’m sure with EQ they are capable of plenty of bass for listening. I really enjoy the stage size as well.

For (imagined) studio use, I can see these being a great tool as reference but I’ll try that out sometime soon.

For today I’ll just be listening with them and comparing to Sundara and only
Plan to keep one. It may not be a fair comparison anymore though with the Sundara being down to $200! If the sound ends up being similar to me, the better build quality and comfort may make the MM-100 worth the extra $.
Be sure to let us know which you find better. I have the Sundara and am contemplating the MM-100. Not enough reviews yet to spark me to buy. Thanks.

Jan 20, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #1,371 of 1,453
Be sure to let us know which you find better. I have the Sundara and am contemplating the MM-100. Not enough reviews yet to spark me to buy. Thanks.
Hey I did some comparison last night using my Burson amp with oratory EQ settings for both headphones and a couple things stuck out for sure.

First, to me, mm100 is worth the extra $ for the comfort and quality build feel. Sound wise though I could be equally happy with either one but they present music much differently. The Sundara felt more airy and “ethereal” while the mm-100 is more intimate, modern sounding and forward mids. The stage is really cool on the mm100 though because while it’s intimate, it doesn’t seem just left and right but also in front and front diagonally kinda like a diamond shape or something. I tried them both plugged into my guitar amp and the MM was much closer to getting the sound I hear out of the actual guitar amp speaker.

If I had to pick one to keep today it would be the mm-100 and I’d try to get $150 or something for the Sundara to go towards the MM.

Jan 20, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #1,372 of 1,453
Plan to listen to them tomorrow (at last). Not a fan of plastic pads, but if they sound right, who knows.
I do not use EQ, so if it proves necessary to make MM-100 "sound fun", then it will be a no-go (for me).
I found them pretty fun sounding with the hip dac and bass boost on! Definitely the most forward vocals of any headphone I’ve tried (which I’m enjoying) and there’s something unique and cool about the stage shape.

Let me know what your thoughts are once you listen some!

Jan 20, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #1,374 of 1,453
Just on a whim I tried out an old cable i had lying around, and it turns out the balanced pin-out for this headphone is the same as the Oppo PM-3. I happened to have an old cable for the PM-3 in my cable bag and it works for the MM-100.

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #1,375 of 1,453
Would you please share your EQ settings? I'd love to try out some others.
It depends on the device's EQ implementation. But on the Qudelix 5K, I kept it pretty simple since I didn't want to mess with the lower mids and bass. This just "corrects" to my taste, any shoutiness in the ear gain region, and moves the lower treble in line with the upper treble. I'm sure I could get more specific with my numbers, so take this a rule of thumb.

3K: -5dB Q: 1.2
9K: -2dB Q: 1.8

For my iTunes and DAP where the controls are less precise I have this setting. I want to say it's less tonally accurate than the PEQ setting to my ears but it puts the curve in the basically right zone haha.

2K: -2dB
4K: -5dB (changed this to -4dB after further listening)
8K: -2dB

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #1,376 of 1,453
Finally grabbed a set from Audio46, which was actually in stock. Wasn't sure how I was feeling about all the news of messy wiring in the MM-100, but I had loyalty points, so...
Yep, I saw them at audio46 also...I had $3 in points but grabbed them anyway while they were still in stock, scheduled to be shipped out Monday the 22nd.
I've Been on the fence on my next headphones purchase. This seemed somewhat like a "safe" bet over the SJY and Tres Sash offerings. So, here I go again.
Cheers

Jan 23, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #1,377 of 1,453
Bit late to the party but just saw JV's vid. Audeze glueing on pads on a $400 Headphone ... ?

Are they stupid?

Jan 23, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #1,380 of 1,453
Glued pads is very much an LCD move. I wonder if it's the only way they could get the bass response they did. I know Audeze is getting a lot of press for their speciality headphones (gamer, studio, etc) but I almost think we'd be better off if the MM-100 was instead an LCD-1 or 2 revision, and tuned for audiophiles as opposed to a studio monitor use. I do like the single-entry cable but I don't need it. However, the MM-100's chassis and design is the best that Audeze has made and it deserves to be on more headphones in their line-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back