Audeze LCD2 quality going down?
Apr 8, 2011 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bertchai

New Head-Fier

While I am waiting for my pre-order of LCD2 ( about 3 months by now ),  I heard that the quality of the latest badge is not as good as before.  Anyone has any experience to share?

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 14
Mine arrived today! Only had to wait about 2 weeks total from pre-order to arriving. I'm speechless at the sound and I've had a lot of high-end speakers (B&W 801's at the moment) and rigs before, but this is my 1st foray into upper strata headphones let alone planar's. I can't speak to whether they have decreased their quality. Build seems superb so far although I will examine them in the day light tomorrow. The graph they sent along with the cans seems to be quite similar to others I've seen online although I recognize that isn't everything. Since this is the only set I've heard I can't compare to other versions.

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 14
gManRI,

I love B&W801, glad to hear that you have a pair too,

Well, the hand band height adjuster on LCD2, I noted that there are some made of aluminum and some made of plastic.  What's on your?
Did you received an "Audeze" branded cable or Canare cable?
I notice through pictures on web that the wooden frame colour also varies a lot.  The first badge is in a rose red wood colour and later ones in sort of walnut colour.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 14
bertchai - the frame is on the walnut / oak colour side. Pads seem very comfortable and I'm surprised overall how they feel on my head ... expected them to be heavier. Headband adjuster is a plastic-slider-clip thingy and the post that slides seems to be metal. I assume that the cable is Audeze although I'm not sure I would know the difference.

My 801's are a few years old so a bit more unsightly than the current series, but so involving. Love'm.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Well, the hand band height adjuster on LCD2, I noted that there are some made of aluminum and some made of plastic.  What's on your?
Did you received an "Audeze" branded cable or Canare cable?
I notice through pictures on web that the wooden frame colour also varies a lot.  The first badge is in a rose red wood colour and later ones in sort of walnut colour.

[size=medium]

If you follow LCD2 main threads you will notice the latest update. You may find some new pics uploaded by those new owners.
I got mine half a month ago, the aluminum slides and pads and new cables and dark woods are perfect
biggrin.gif

[/size]

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #7 of 14
my cables don't have those colored boots on them and i think they look much better without. the wood is wonderful looking and i think compliments the pads better. not that i care what they look like the sound is beyond belief! Deadmau5's One Trick Pony is like Sofi is in my head. soundstage is incredibly wide and yet in the middle of my head.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 14
Pigwave,  can you post the main LCD2 thread please?

My friend also received his LCD2 with PLASTIC height adjuster and they have taken away the metal/aluminum one (which looks a lot more high class and quality).  Is this some kind of cost reduction or quality degrade.......

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Pigwave,  can you post the main LCD2 thread please?

My friend also received his LCD2 with PLASTIC height adjuster and they have taken away the metal/aluminum one (which looks a lot more high class and quality).  Is this some kind of cost reduction or quality degrade.......

Here it is,
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/453116/audeze-lcd-2-orthos/10800#post_7394084

You can use the tool " search this thread " to find out the informations you need.
About the plastic issue, I heard that AUDEZE can replace it with aluminum ones without charges, you may e-mail them to confirm

p.s. 3 months waiting time seems weird, you should ask Audeze for that or check your mail box, normally you should have received your order page 

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
Here it is,
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/453116/audeze-lcd-2-orthos/10800#post_7394084

You can use the tool " search this thread " to find out the informations you need.
About the plastic issue, I heard that AUDEZE can replace it with aluminum ones without charges, you may e-mail them to confirm

p.s. 3 months waiting time seems weird, you should ask Audeze for that or check your mail box, normally you should have received your order page 

Do you have to send the cans back for the aluminum replacement or can it be done at home?

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 14
I had a 11/2010 pair and have a 03/2011 pair. They sound pretty similar. The wooden finish isn't as good to me but it's nothing like the Grado lottery.  

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #13 of 14
I got a pair that was amongst the very first, and I have ordered a second pair, which I hope to get soon.  I will be able to compare them, and will report back. 

What I have heard is that the new ones are more comfortable, which I am hoping will be the case, although I have gotten very used to the old ones and find the comfort to be quite acceptable.

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #14 of 14
^^^ FWIW Rob I did pick up a back up pair of ear pads (like to have them around as I plan to keep these cans for a long time) and while they look different in photos, the thickness and quality is about the same as my original ones. The stitching is what makes them "look" thicker...in actuality they are about the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back