Audeze LCD2 new leather headphone band
Jul 8, 2011 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

rmilewsk

Head-Fier
I just received the new leather headphone band from audeze. The leather is soft with 6 pads varying from smaller near the earcups to larger in the middle of the band. I think the LCD2's look very nice but a little less distinctive with the new headband. They look closer to the other headphones on the market. Installation is easy. Unscrew the small screws on the top of each metal guide, pull off the old headband and insert the new one. Screw the screws back in. The new headband seems slightly more comfortable to me than the old one. I don't notice a big difference right off the bat between this headband and the old one. I noticed no difference in sound quality between the old headband and the new one. The clamping force seems to be about the same.

Positives: Easy installation, comfortable, gives the LCD2 a more upscale look

Negatives: No installation instructions. The installation was easy but anytime anything has to be taken apart including taking out screws installation instructions should be provided.

Conclusion: If you are looking for a more upscale look to the LCD2 and potentially a small upgrade in comfort the new headband is worth the money.

Cost: $100
Purchased from Audeze

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 23

Quote:
I just received the new leather headphone band from audeze. The leather is soft with 6 pads varying from smaller near the earcups to larger in the middle of the band. I think the LCD2's look very nice but a little less distinctive with the new headband. They look closer to the other headphones on the market. Installation is easy. Unscrew the small screws on the top of each metal guide, pull off the old headband and insert the new one. Screw the screws back in. The new headband seems slightly more comfortable to me than the old one. I don't notice a big difference right off the bat between this headband and the old one. I noticed no difference in sound quality between the old headband and the new one. The clamping force seems to be about the same.

Negatives: No installation instructions. The installation was easy but anytime anything has to be taken apart including taking out screws installation instructions should be provided.

Conclusion: If you are looking for a more upscale look to the LCD2 and potentially a small upgrade in comfort the new headband is worth the money.

Purchased from Audeze

Just in terms of the leather headband - does it feel more comfortable?.

I've noticed that I really like my headband to be free of any material, When I have them on for excessive amounts of time, they just get annoying -_-

Jul 10, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 23
Ugh... $100 seems a bit gouge-y to me, and I've been on an insane shopping spree recently. Maybe I'm way off, but $100 seems a bit excessive here. Ah well, I just placed my order anyway... Anything for my LCD-2s, I 'spose :wink:

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #5 of 23
I've been wishing for a leather band ever since I received my set of LCD-2, finally!

Just one question before handing over the cash..., I read from Audeze's site that the leather headband's blocks are plastic, will the aluminium blocks fit in their place?

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 23
I like the more upscale look of the leather headband and if it's more comfortable then that's a plus. I'm having a hard time with the $100 price when it's only $50 if you purchase the HP and headband together. C'mon Audez'e I already bought the LCD-2 why are you making me pay an extra $50 for the headband after the fact?

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #8 of 23
Any pictures ?

Jul 15, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 23
Sorry to seem silly, does the "one piece drop in" solution mean the plastic blocks are permanently fixed onto the band?

In the picture of the leather headband (http://audeze.com/sites/default/files/a1.png), it looks like Audeze still uses 4 x screws to connect the band to each of the left and right blocks.

I am wondering if the plastic blocks on the leather band can be removed and replace with the aluminium blocks instead?

Jul 19, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Purchased from Audeze

Do you have any idea of the weight difference between the leather and metal LCD-2 headbands?

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
Ugh... $100 seems a bit gouge-y to me, and I've been on an insane shopping spree recently. Maybe I'm way off, but $100 seems a bit excessive here. Ah well, I just placed my order anyway... Anything for my LCD-2s, I 'spose :wink:

100$ is a DEFINITELY OVERPRICED. They seem to justify the price as they consider themselves a niche market. But really, that image is slowly disappearing :).

I bought my LCD-2's with the leather headband. I chucked it away since I soon found that I could make something much more comfortable (and better looking in my opinion).

Having decided this I took apart the leather headband. The SINGLE STRAP OF LEATHER itself would have cost less than 5 DOLLARS in raw material costs. The stuffing even less.

As much as I love Audeze, I find this to be RIDICULOUS

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
I bought my LCD-2's with the leather headband. I chucked it away since I soon found that I could make something much more comfortable (and better looking in my opinion).

Having decided this I took apart the leather headband. The SINGLE STRAP OF LEATHER itself would have cost less than 5 DOLLARS in raw material costs. The stuffing even less.

How about a picture of your creation? If it looks better than what Audeze offers, then I'd seriously consider buying one from you for around $5 if you start making more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back