Audeze LCD2 Bamboo impressions
Jan 5, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #47 of 73
I've been reading the reviews of this headphone and wanted to buy it.  I saw that several of my favorite musicians endorsed it (Calibre, Goldie, Breakage).  The idea of spending $995 on a set of headphones has never really made sense to me though, until now.  I honestly think, even though I just bought a new set today, that I'm going to own a set of these in the near future.  I just want to get a high quality headphone amp first in order to truly compliment them.

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #48 of 73
Quote:
I've been reading the reviews of this headphone and wanted to buy it.  I saw that several of my favorite musicians endorsed it (Calibre, Goldie, Breakage).  The idea of spending $995 on a set of headphones has never really made sense to me though, until now.  I honestly think, even though I just bought a new set today, that I'm going to own a set of these in the near future.  I just want to get a high quality headphone amp first in order to truly compliment them.

I don't think it would disappoint you, unless you like brighter headphones. or more forward treble.
I, for one love them.
Beware the lcd2 needs power. I would recommend you the Burson Soloist, because I have the Burson Conductor (based on the soloist amp) and the sound is amazing. Some say that Schiit Lyr or Mjolnir would make a good amp for it, though i did not listen to any of that schiit ( :D ) . 

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #49 of 73
dan...this is one of the most honest and down to earth expression of the lcd2 experience i've read till now... u might have actually convinced me to buy one...will know soon...and i can hear my wallet  already screaming in apprehension

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #50 of 73
Quote:
I don't think it would disappoint you, unless you like brighter headphones. or more forward treble.
I, for one love them.
Beware the lcd2 needs power. I would recommend you the Burson Soloist, because I have the Burson Conductor (based on the soloist amp) and the sound is amazing. Some say that Schiit Lyr or Mjolnir would make a good amp for it, though i did not listen to any of that schiit ( :D ) . 

Comparatively to many other headphones out there, the LCD-2's do need power.
But I do feel there's this power hype when you think in terms of what the HE-6 requires.

There's a button of amps out there that meet the requirements. And in all sorts of price ranges.

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #51 of 73
Quote:
dan...this is one of the most honest and down to earth expression of the lcd2 experience i've read till now... u might have actually convinced me to buy one...will know soon...and i can hear my wallet  already screaming in apprehension

I am really happy when I read something like that 
atsmile.gif
 . Thanks!

I know the feeling. In Europe the price goes up automatically to 1000 EUR, the equivalent of 1300$. Fortunately I don't regret it at all . 
L3000.gif

Those headphones still keep me up hours at night to the point I sometimes fall asleep with them on my head 
atsmile.gif
Quote:
Comparatively to many other headphones out there, the LCD-2's do need power.
But I do feel there's this power hype when you think in terms of what the HE-6 requires.

There's a button of amps out there that meet the requirements. And in all sorts of price ranges.

I had them paired with the Burson Ha-160 DS before the Conductor. It had less power, but I still liked the sound, but with Conductor the sound reached another level. The sound exploded. I felt that I got all that LCD2 can deliver with it. The bass was deeper, much more detailed, more controlled, the soundstage was wider, more details, etc (some of those could be from the better DAC that conductor has).

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #52 of 73
Quote:

I am really happy when I read something like that 
atsmile.gif
 . Thanks!

I know the feeling. In Europe the price goes up automatically to 1000 EUR, the equivalent of 1300$. Fortunately I don't regret it at all . 
L3000.gif

Those headphones still keep me up hours at night to the point I sometimes fall asleep with them on my head 
atsmile.gif

I had them paired with the Burson Ha-160 DS before the Conductor. It had less power, but I still liked the sound, but with Conductor the sound reached another level. The sound exploded. I felt that I got all that LCD2 can deliver with it. The bass was deeper, much more detailed, more controlled, the soundstage was wider, more details, etc (some of those could be from the better DAC that conductor has).

I hear ya. I formerly had the Burson HA-160 as well. My comment was simply that the LCD-2 are power monsters is a bit overstated.
Hell, the Rev1 was harder to drive, for example.

You need to make the move to the LCD-3 to fully complete the cycle. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #53 of 73
Quote:
I hear ya. I formerly had the Burson HA-160 as well. My comment was simply that the LCD-2 are power monsters is a bit overstated.
Hell, the Rev1 was harder to drive, for example.

You need to make the move to the LCD-3 to fully complete the cycle. 
biggrin.gif

Correct. And the lcd3 are even easier to drive from what I heard.

Don't get me started :))

I already got a lot of stuff lately. Actually I have auditioned the LCD3 the last month, from Conductor and m2tech Vaughan. It is a beautiful headphone. It was brighter than the lcd2, the treble more defined, wiiider soundstage and more details. The lcd2 had more bass impact, better lower midrange and more intimate sound. Somehow I prefer more intimate presentation of the lcd2 for now.
atsmile.gif

The differences weren't huge.
And I prefered the conductor over vaughan 
basshead.gif
. The bass and lower midrange were better on the Conductor (IMO).

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #54 of 73
Quote:
Correct. And the lcd3 are even easier to drive from what I heard.

Don't get me started :))

I already got a lot of stuff lately. Actually I have auditioned the LCD3 the last month, from Conductor and m2tech Vaughan. It is a beautiful headphone. It was brighter than the lcd2, the treble more defined, wiiider soundstage and more details. The lcd2 had more bass impact, better lower midrange and more intimate sound. Somehow I prefer more intimate presentation of the lcd2 for now.
atsmile.gif

The differences weren't huge.
And I prefered the conductor over vaughan 
basshead.gif
. The bass and lower midrange were better on the Conductor (IMO).

LCD-2 is still the best value, but the LCD-3 is overall more refined. However it's all eventual. Cough - LCD-4. 
tongue.gif

I haven't had any experience with the Vaughan. Is it some kind of world-beater?

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #55 of 73
Quote:
LCD-2 is still the best value, but the LCD-3 is overall more refined. However it's all eventual. Cough - LCD-4. 
tongue.gif

I haven't had any experience with the Vaughan. Is it some kind of world-beater?

I am really afraid of an lcd4 and a review saying it blows all the lcds out of the water...really afraid 
confused_face.gif
  :)).

Vaughan is considered reference by some, and it should be at that price. It runs on battery. No power cable or power conditioners or power plants make any difference with it. The sound was indeed cleaner and more detailed than on conductor (but small differences), but stilled preferred Burson over it 

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #56 of 73
Quote:
I am really afraid of an lcd4 and a review saying it blows all the lcds out of the water...really afraid 
confused_face.gif
  :)).

Vaughan is considered reference by some, and it should be at that price. It runs on battery. No power cable or power conditioners or power plants make any difference with it. The sound was indeed cleaner and more detailed than on conductor (but not mind-blowing differences), but stilled preferred Burson over it 

I'd be more afraid of the price tag. 
frown.gif

Not surprising that headamp section was less than stellar. I wouldn't mind gettin' a chance to hear one myself though.

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #57 of 73
Quote:
I'd be more afraid of the price tag. 
frown.gif

Not surprising that headamp section was less than stellar. I wouldn't mind gettin' a chance to hear one myself though.

Well, for one I am afraid of the price tag, as I am sure it would be much more expensive than lcd2 and 3, but I am also afraid of being much better than lcd2 or lcd3 :)), a guy saying in a review. "Maaan...it is more than twice better than lcd2. It is just spectacular!". And I am afraid that I will get a chance to listen to it.

About the Vaughan, it was Darku who gave me the chance to listen to it and many other stuff (including, lcd2, lcd3, hd800 and more). 
It is so nice to have the chance to listen to other good stuff, but, on the other hand, it is dangerous for your wallet :))

Ah, and about the headamp in Vaughan, I would have expected to be very powerful  considering it is so so so HUUUGE! It is the size of a coffee table!!!
I think it is very good for hd800 but less with the lcd2 and 3.

I forgot to ask you. I see you have Schiit Mjolnir. 
Did you ever have the chance to listen to Burson Conductor or Soloist? 
I am  curious about the differences. 
I heard that Mjolnir is more energic and soloist more musical and that it would be a choice of tastes between the two.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #58 of 73
Quote:
Well, for one I am afraid of the price tag, as I am sure it would be much more expensive than lcd2 and 3, but I am also afraid of being much better than lcd2 or lcd3 :)), a guy saying in a review. "Maaan...it is more than twice better than lcd2. It is just spectacular!". And I am afraid that I will get a chance to listen to it.

About the Vaughan, it was Darku who gave me the chance to listen to it and many other stuff (including, lcd2, lcd3, hd800 and more). 
It is so nice to have the chance to listen to other good stuff, but, on the other hand, it is dangerous for your wallet :))

Ah, and about the headamp in Vaughan, I would have expected to be very powerful  considering it is so so so HUUUGE! It is the size of a coffee table!!!
I think it is very good for hd800 but less with the lcd2 and 3.

I forgot to ask you. I see you have Schiit Mjolnir. 
Did you ever have the chance to listen to Burson Conductor or Soloist? 
I am  curious about the differences. 
I heard that Mjolnir is more energic and soloist more musical and that it would be a choice of tastes between the two.

I think they'd be hard pressed to up the performance x2 on the LCD-4. But what do I know. I'll pay for it anyways. 
redface.gif

I've never really heard any DAC (that's how I look at it) whos headamp section was all that good. (it always seems like an afterthought in most cases).

I haven't gotten the opportunity to listen to the Conductor. However yea, I have heard the Soloist, but I wouldn't really call the Soloist musical (so to speak).
They're both quite similar amps with the Mjolnir being more aggressive overall. 

Both are very transparent and don't mask flaws.

I'd give the nod to Mojo without question in regards to speed and bass. 

Obvious difference are balanced vs unbalanced. And personally. BOO stepped attenuators. But that's a matter of taste.

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #59 of 73
Quote:
I think they'd be hard pressed to up the performance x2 on the LCD-4. But what do I know. I'll pay for it anyways. 
redface.gif

I've never really heard any DAC (that's how I look at it) whos headamp section was all that good. (it always seems like an afterthought in most cases).

I haven't gotten the opportunity to listen to the Conductor. However yea, I have heard the Soloist, but I wouldn't really call the Soloist musical (so to speak).
They're both quite similar amps with the Mjolnir being more aggressive overall. 

Both are very transparent and don't mask flaws.

I'd give the nod to Mojo without question in regards to speed and bass. 

Obvious difference are balanced vs unbalanced. And personally. BOO stepped attenuators. But that's a matter of taste.

Thank you for your impressions.
I would be curios to listen to Mjolnir one day.

However I love my Conductor for now. I love the bass, because it is very natural, controlled, detailed. The details are amazing, and the sound is very very clean due to its very good power source.
I said it was musical because the sound is on the warm side. Many people say that the Conductor is bright. It is in the first 0-100h break in period, but afterwards it calms down. It even calmed the hd800 down, compared to my previous Ha-160ds.

I personally like the stepped attenuator. Even though i had the HA-160DS, i liked the 160D more due to the stepped attenuator which gave more details and transparency to the sound. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #60 of 73
Quote:
Thank you for your impressions.
I would be curios to listen to Mjolnir one day.

However I love my Conductor for now. I love the bass, because it is very natural, controlled, detailed. The details are amazing, and the sound is very very clean due to its very good power source.
I said it was musical because the sound is on the warm side. Many people say that the Conductor is bright. It is in the first 0-100h break in period, but afterwards it calms down. It even calmed the hd800 down, compared to my previous Ha-160ds.

I personally like the stepped attenuator. Even though i had the HA-160DS, i liked the 160D more due to the stepped attenuator which gave more details and transparency to the sound. 

I think either 3 would pair well with an LCD. HD800 has always bothered me, however with upgrading my source (which people swear is usually the problem) I'l be givin' it one more go.

I would really not prefer stepped attenuators, but I understand why they're in use. I believe Schiit's statement gear will be using stepped attenuators.

With that said, I've heard some MAJOR gripes about 'em, they're just slightly annoying. Unless you're one of those people
who have always got a hand on the knob...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back