Audeze LCD2 Bamboo impressions
Nov 10, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #31 of 73
Fun review!

As for hooking up to speaker amps it should be okay as long as you keep the volume down. So I been told anyway.
It sure works splendid on the right stereo amplifier :)

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #32 of 73
Quote:
Guys one other thing. Did any of you try aftermarket cables with LCD2?
I was thinking about one of these toxic cables.
What do you think?

I use a Toxic cable with mine, it was defo an upgrade in sound but as always with cables, a subtle one. I have a silver poison. Frank at Toxic has many more options now for LCD2's and so it would be worth emailing him http://www.head-fi.org/t/609155/toxic-cables-the-appreciation-thread to find out what he can offer you and give you the waiting time involved.

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #33 of 73
I use a Toxic cable with mine, it was defo an upgrade in sound but as always with cables, a subtle one. I have a silver poison. Frank at Toxic has many more options now for LCD2's and so it would be worth emailing him http://www.head-fi.org/t/609155/toxic-cables-the-appreciation-thread to find out what he can offer you and give you the waiting time involved.

Thanks LugBug1.

I think that this will be my next purchase after the Bursons Conductor, and I hope the last for a looong time :))

What toxic cable do you have and how would you describe your improvements?

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #34 of 73
Last night the friend that sings at the national opera(i talked about his father in the first post) took a seat and started listening to the headphones. He listened a while and still was talking to me... then I saw his face. He became serious and concentrated on the music.
He has not listened to something like this ever. He has 10 dolars headphones at home.

After a while he takes them off and he says to me . "This is amazing. I am not into this stuff but what i can say about it is that it takes you in another world. You cannot see it, but you sure can hear it perfectly."

Another friend of mine, the one I have sold my first headphones (hd 595) listened to the lcd2s last night.

I am trying to convince him to "be sorry for his wallet", in other words to start getting serious with his headphones, because he listens to them from the onboard audio in his desktop. I tried to convince him for 2 years, with no results.

After a while he comes to me in the next room "uhhh.... the lcd2s are awesome! i don't know if i can get them right now, but until then....do you want to sell your burson?" :))

I can proudly say to him now "Welcome to this hobby and I am sorry for your wallet!" . The problem is ... that even-though I am selling the burson to him, i will be getting the conductor...and this means...I am sorry for my wallet as well :))

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #35 of 73
Quote:
Thanks LugBug1.
I think that this will be my next purchase after the Bursons Conductor, and I hope the last for a looong time
smily_headphones1.gif
)
What toxic cable do you have and how would you describe your improvements?

I have the silver posion. I noticed a more fuller sound, more controlled. It's hard to describe the effects of a good cable sometimes as a lot of people don't believe that it can make any improvements. I've always used different headphone cables and some have been better and some haven't made much difference at all. I would also say that, it should be last on your list in the chain of upgrades, as an amp and dac are always going to give you better improvements. But once you are happy with those, then an upgraded cable can be the icing on the cake! :)

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #36 of 73
I just read this thread for the first time and enjoyed your refreshing enthusiasm!

Well done, Dan.  Very, very well done.
beerchug.gif

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #37 of 73
I have the silver posion. I noticed a more fuller sound, more controlled. It's hard to describe the effects of a good cable sometimes as a lot of people don't believe that it can make any improvements. I've always used different headphone cables and some have been better and some haven't made much difference at all. I would also say that, it should be last on your list in the chain of upgrades, as an amp and dac are always going to give you better improvements. But once you are happy with those, then an upgraded cable can be the icing on the cake! :)

Thanks for your impressions LugBug1. I had the zu mobius mk2 cable for hd650 and i too observed a noticeable improvement. From then i started believing in cables, but not in very very expensive ones. I also have a ps audio and a wireworld aurora powercables. They too made a difference.
I agree on the upgrade priority matter though, first a new dac amp, then the toxic cable :D You convinced me. I will buy one! Not quite now, but soon.

I just read this thread for the first time and enjoyed your refreshing enthusiasm!

Well done, Dan.  Very, very well done. :beerchug:

Thanks Oldskool. Glad you liked it!

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #38 of 73
Another friend of mine that was thrown back with his feet up by the awesome sound of the lcd2s :D

Another thing:

I personally felt that silver cables took away from the LCD-2/3.  My Moon SilverDragon took away some warmth and smoothness in exchange for grain.  Not a good trade :wink:  If you want a Senn HD800, buy one instead.

Lugbug1 have you experienced any grain or gritty sound with the Toxic Poison?

I don't think i would like grainny or gritty sound, nor like to loose the midrange warmth.

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #39 of 73
Quote:
Another thing:
Lugbug1 have you experienced any grain or gritty sound with the Toxic Poison?
I don't think i would like grainny or gritty sound, nor like to loose the midrange warmth.

None at all. I'm surprised anyone can get "grain" with the LCD2's under any circumstances! Silver in general will tend to give you a more accurate image without any added color that pure copper can sometimes give. I think the LCD2's benefit from silver as they are warm in character anyway.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #40 of 73
Dear dan.gheorghe, 

Guess who? 

That's right, your wife! Now, you know what you have to do. Please do it. 

And by the way, we're married now, so your wallet...is now our wallet. Therefore ...we are now both sorry for our wallet :). Just to be sure everything is clear, my wallet is still just mine.

And the headphones are awesome, indeed. Be that as it may - if you do not take down the videos of me, you are in big trouble, mister!

Over and out! 

Dan's wife 

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #41 of 73
Run guys! The Wife is here. "And on that day a lot of audiophiles scattered in all directions of the world!".

Welcome to headfi honey.

Considering the following: 

1.  how much you liked the lcd2s
  2.  the fact that this passion is contagious
  3.  the fact that your wallet is just yours as you said here 

Just to be sure everything is clear, my wallet is still just mine.

I welcome you to this passion and this forum and I say to you as well : I am sorry for your wallet ! ( as I am not  giving you my headphones! :)) )

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #42 of 73
Dear Dan's wife,

Even if I sworn to not post from my smartphone ever again, this is too good to be true.

Your husband has posted a great review and those videos just made it legendary.

Please don't ruin his review. Think of all the people that could smile for the first time in their lives when reading it. You can't be that cruel...

Sincerely,
Dan's friend Traian

P.S: Thank you for making the world a happier place

P.S 2: I'm laughing my ass off

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #44 of 73
I get you mate. I got these cans 2 days back and they are just amazing for trance. They make my DT990 (600 ohms) sound flat in comparison. Whereas the DT990 had amazing bass. LCD-2 are just in a different league... 

Nov 18, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #45 of 73
Guys, Darku gave me the chance to listen to Bursons' Conductor .

I can tell you that i went there with the idea that it will be a positive difference from my Burson HA-160DS but not huge.

As you have seen in my first post I loved my LCD2s' sound. The fun fact is that it seems I did not get the best of them, not by far .

When i started listening the conductor to the music I know i was shocked... :eek: . It was almost like I was listening to the lcd2 for the first time. I always felt that these cans can do more. On conductor i knew they gave their best!

You know that most of the time you listen to a better equipment and say...yes..it is better...but not so big as to pay over 2x the difference. This was not the case. The difference was more than obvious, it was like an elephant in the room. It was a "Shut up and take my money" moment :

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQCP85FngzE[/VIDEO]

It was almost the same feeling I had when running my hd650 on an amp could not drive them properly, before i listened to conductor with LCD2.

I am not sure which of the amplifier or dac section of Conductor made this huge difference, but I know that the amplifier gives 4W per channel and my DS only gives 1 or even less.

In my lcd2 manual they say it would be best to use an amplifier with at least 1w/channel. So i was under their recommendations.

The bass had bigger punch, a lot more controlled (as Darku said: It is like an iron hand is controlling it), the sound was much more relaxed, the separation of instruments excellent, MUCH more details, a much wider soundstage. The sound was flowing with such ease.

The interesting thing is that I listened to HD800 as well on Conductor and I liked it a lot! Much more than on 160-ds. It gave it musicality. I started liking listening to rock on HD800. It was no longer bright. It gave it a bigger bass impact.

It made HD800 much more fun than i knew it to be on HA-160D and HA-160DS .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back