AUDEZE LCD XC
Oct 26, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #2,193 of 4,137
  I bought them from a dealer in my country and they said that Audeze hasnt replied to them via email and phonec cals for 1 month.

That sounds odd.  I would contact audeze directly through their website with the dealer name and your serial number and your experience.  They will answer you withing 48 hours for sure.

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #2,196 of 4,137
Does anyone care to share their experiences transporting the XCs around?

I transport mine all the time to work.  But mine came with the original ruggedized travel case.  Not the new case.
I use a military style backpack from SOC (Sandpiper of California) called the bugout bag.  Fits the headphones fine, along with an assortment of adapters/cables, RSA Intruder amp and charger, and other portable gear.

In fact, I've transported that kit on vacation with me right now in Orlando.

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #2,197 of 4,137
  Can anyone offer any thoughts on a good amp under $1000 to pair with the LCD-XCs?  I'll break the bank in a year or two on something higher end but I'm looking for something more affordable right now.  I've read mixed reviews about Schiit, WOO Audio and various other amps when paired with the XC.

Portable:  Ray Samuels Intruder.  USB Dac/amp. Can go balanced.  $700
Desktop:  Peachtree Audio Decco 65.  I found a steal on a Peachtree audio decco 65 at Music Direct.  Now they have the Peachtree Nova65 for 799.  Decent enough price.  (My Decco was clearance, and less than that price.)  These have a tube in the output stage you can enable or disable.

I know this is more than your requested price, but for completeness I also have:
At home, I have a Unison Research SH headphone amplifier.  It is Class A tube with DAC.  It has qty-2 1/4 inch outputs. Sounds wonderful  But it is much more than 1k.  1695.

And If I didn't have the UR SH, I would have gotten this instead:
At a recent meet, Night and Day audio was there with an Enigma Acoustics Athena A1 hybrid Tube amp.  That retails for 1495, and was fantastic.

Just providing some research options.  Let me know if I can provide any additional information or answer any questions.

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #2,198 of 4,137
  I transport mine all the time to work.  But mine came with the original ruggedized travel case.  Not the new case.
I use a military style backpack from SOC (Sandpiper of California) called the bugout bag.  Fits the headphones fine, along with an assortment of adapters/cables, RSA Intruder amp and charger, and other portable gear.

In fact, I've transported that kit on vacation with me right now in Orlando.

Cool. So you put it right in the bag with no small case to protect it? Or the bag has enough compartments to house it protectively? I'm worried about mine being knocked around inside the bag, even if there's a lot of stuff packed into it. Or if any dirt gets in there and scratches it. God forbid! I shivered as I typed that.

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #2,199 of 4,137
  Cool. So you put it right in the bag with no small case to protect it? 

I put the TRAVEL CASE that came with the LCD-XC into the backpack.  backpack is big enough to house the travel case.

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #2,200 of 4,137
  What were the affects on sound with the different cables you tried vs stock?

That was a long time ago . Will do a comparison soon & post back as do not want to depend on my memory.

I did an A/B with the stock vs.  Q audio cable. The Q audio has slightly better treble clarity / resolution but still smooth, had more air. Maybe because of this I felt that soundstage  was very slightly better. But like I said very slight, had to go back & forth few times. My chain was Mac mini (Pure Music + wave files) >AGD NFB 7 > Cavalli Liquid Glass. IMHO, YMMV & all that.....

I switched to Q Audio cable as I wanted a longer cable & as an added bonus its the most flexible & light cable that I have come across, just feels very good to handle. Just for pure sound upgrade probably not worth it....

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #2,201 of 4,137
I did an A/B with the stock vs.  Q audio cable. The Q audio has slightly better treble clarity / resolution but still smooth, had more air. Maybe because of this I felt that soundstage  was very slightly better. But like I said very slight, had to go back & forth few times. My chain was Mac mini (Pure Music + wave files) >AGD NFB 7 > Cavalli Liquid Glass. IMHO, YMMV & all that.....

I switched to Q Audio cable as I wanted a longer cable & as an added bonus its the most flexible & light cable that I have come across, just feels very good to handle. Just for pure sound upgrade probably not worth it....

I have the q cable as well, and I share your opinion, although I did hear a fairly discernable diffference in the treble and soundstage. I bought mine From a fellow headfier and so the lower cost to me was worth it.

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #2,202 of 4,137
  Can anyone offer any thoughts on a good amp under $1000 to pair with the LCD-XCs?  I'll break the bank in a year or two on something higher end but I'm looking for something more affordable right now.  I've read mixed reviews about Schiit, WOO Audio and various other amps when paired with the XC.

Really depends on what you're listening to and what you're preferences are.

I was pretty happy using a Violectric V200 with my XC's before I got my GS-X mk2. I sometimes use a Schiit Mjolnir as well, but I like the V200 a touch better. I admittedly didn't do a lot of shopping around (too hard to do so), but the V200 feels slightly dark of neutral, whereas I feel like the Mjolnir is slightly brighter and more forward. I feel like my XC's are fairly neutral, but the frequency plot says there's a small suckout from ~5-8kHz(6-8db). I think I can be sensitive to high frequencies, so maybe it fits me just fine.

I've also got an Alo Pan Am (now out of production, but can probably be had for < $500). It's a bit hard to describe though. I feel like tubes can be "fun", but in this price range, they're not exactly neutral or true to the source. I bought a few different tubes to mess around with (Voshkods and Mullards), but at the end of the day, I prefer my SS gear.

I wouldn't pay retail for the V200 though. At ~$1k, it's probably overpriced.I think you can probably pick up a use done for a fraction of the $1k MSRP since it's an older model and some people are unloading them in favor of the newer V281.

Tyll of Inner Fidelity seems to also like the Lake People G109 (same people behind Violectric) and it's a lot cheaper.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-headphone-amplifiers#FiiHRUaDVMMFsPTS.97

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #2,203 of 4,137

I decided eventually on the q-cable. It looks fantastic and I've heard nothing but praise for its general quality. I just wanted to eliminate the veil that the stock cables seem to have, as well as add a touch of luxury to the cable. I just know it will be a nicer experience.

I've also read that the XCs don't really need the extra brightness that silver cables can bring to the table, and that a copper build suited the sound signiture of the XCs. So as soon as I read that, then read how the copper q-cables are made, I was sold. A manufacturer putting all that effort into a solely copper cable (and it being the only cable they produced) made me think that this is one of the best choices for copper cables around. Plus it's light and ergonomic.

Also got the adapters to use the q-cable for my HD650s and the 4XLR -> 1/4" and 4XLR -> 1/8". Happily waiting.

Nov 15, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #2,205 of 4,137
Once I've tried them I'll post back here and do a comparison to the stock cables. Won't be until December because that's when I'm back from travelling.

I'm considering the Q-Cables too so I'd love to hear your thoughts on them once you have a chance to try them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back