AUDEZE LCD XC
Oct 15, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #2,161 of 4,151
  Any thoughts on whether or not the newer E12A would have enough output for the XCs? I've read that it's sound is improved slightly but that FiiO reduced it's power output to cater to IEM users.

Audeze says the optimal amount of power output needed to drive the xc's well is between 1-4 watts or 1000-4000mA
the e12a max output current is 113.3mA or 0.1133watts
the e12 Max output current is only 170mA or 0.17watts

so either way you're providing less than 20% of the power the xc's need to really be awesome.

that being said I've plugged my xc's into my fiio x5 2nd gen which has max output of 250mA, and though I found it not as good a higher powered desktop source I didn't believe it was only one quarter as good in comparison

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #2,162 of 4,151

Audeze says the optimal amount of power output needed to drive the xc's well is between 1-4 watts or 1000-4000mA

so either way you're providing less than 20% of the power the xc's need to really be awesome.

that being said I've plugged my xc's into my fiio x5 2nd gen which has max output of 250mA, and though I found it not as good a higher powered desktop source I didn't believe it was only one quarter as good in comparison

Admittedly I'm quite new to this so I find some of the numbers confusing. I had read in the FiiO specs that the Mont Blanc-E12's output power was 880 mW (versus 420 mW for the E12A) and took that to be 88% of the minimum optimal power needed.

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #2,163 of 4,151

You're interchanging watts (power) and amps(current). Not the same. The e12 drives the XC very well, as does the X5ii. The XC are very easy to drive and yes I've used them with a 4Watt amp and they sound very close in all instances. The defining difference between them is the quality of the amp implementation, not the power output specs.

The output power of the e12 is 880mW by the way, not 0.17 watts.

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #2,164 of 4,151
You're interchanging watts (power) and amps(current). Not the same. The e12 drives the XC very well, as does the X5ii. The XC are very easy to drive and yes I've used them with a 4Watt amp and they sound very close in all instances. The defining difference between them is the quality of the amp implementation, not the power output specs.

The output power of the e12 is 880mW by the way, not 0.17 watts.

my mistake thanks for the clarification

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #2,165 of 4,151

Admittedly I'm quite new to this so I find some of the numbers confusing. I had read in the FiiO specs that the Mont Blanc-E12's output power was 880 mW (versus 420 mW for the E12A) and took that to be 88% of the minimum optimal power needed.

Check the Cayin C5 thread as well if you are after that size/quality/price range.
The C5 powered my relatively hard to drive LCD 2.1s at high gain and volume position 5, so with XCs it will be 'fine'.

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #2,166 of 4,151
Does anyone care to share their experiences transporting the XCs around?

Just to note, I haven't been united with my pair of XCs yet, but want to have a portable solution ready to go when I receive them in a few months.

I'm wondering, because I will be travelling with them and carting them to/from cafes and workplaces, what would be a good way to pack these away in a backpack without damaging them? Unfortunately the hard case that comes with them to is too big for me to lug around everywhere. Does anyone have any pictures of setups that could inspire me!?

I own a goruck GR1 bag: http://www.goruck.com/gr1-black-/p/GEAR-000066
It's awesome (recommend everyone with money to spend on a backpack to look into it!) and I carry my HD 650's inside a Goruck Pocket inside the GR1: http://www.goruck.com/gr2-field-pocket-black-/p/GEAR-000070

I'm worried that the XCs will be too big for the pocket though, and that it will not protect it from being knocked around. For the HD650's Im not as worried because they're not $2000+.... 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #2,167 of 4,151
  Does anyone care to share their experiences transporting the XCs around?

I had to chuckle at any Audeze being a "portable" headphone, especially an XC which is the biggest and heaviest of all. For myself, I travel with TG334 IEMs, my XCs are either on my head or the stand. But since you already travel with 650's, you must have a higher level of dedication, like the guy who uses his Corvette as a daily driver. The XCs are rugged for sure, but you might as well accept now, they will get scratched up. One thing that might help, the XC hard case has a much smaller removable insert that actually holds the XCs, so you don't need to carry around the whole case.

Apologize if this reply was not constructive.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #2,168 of 4,151
Haha I know that it's not a transportable HP but I guess I want someone to tell me it is... Because that's what it's gunna be for me whether people think I'm crazy or not!

Cool thinking about the insert, I might just get a small bag to put that in with XCs inside.

Don't other people carry their 650s around??? Am I nuts!?

Oct 18, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #2,170 of 4,151
Haha I know that it's not a transportable HP but I guess I want someone to tell me it is... Because that's what it's gunna be for me whether people think I'm crazy or not!

Cool thinking about the insert, I might just get a small bag to put that in with XCs inside.

Don't other people carry their 650s around??? Am I nuts!?

I looked into it and I think for the xcs, I read either in the reviews or the q and as that this works somewhat. http://www.amazon.com/CASEBUDi-Headphone-Case-Extra-Large/dp/images/B00BF6IKL4

Oct 18, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #2,171 of 4,151
I looked into it and I think for the xcs, I read either in the reviews or the q and as that this works somewhat. http://www.amazon.com/CASEBUDi-Headphone-Case-Extra-Large/dp/images/B00BF6IKL4

Actually, it is the extra extra large
http://www.amazon.com/CASEBUDi-Headphone-Case-Extra-Large/dp/B00ENO322C

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #2,173 of 4,151
Thanks for the comments guys!! All cases looks great.

Casebudi XXL

Review:

"A great case for my Audeze LCD-XCs. Yes they fit great with space to spare. Actually the headphones would have fit in the slightly smaller "Extra Large" case if it was not for their "thickness" that is about 5"+. I had to buy some grey corrugated foam, cut it to size so that the headphones do not move inside the case.

The case itself is very well made, it looks sturdy, the zipper is smooth running and everything looks like it would last for a long time. Recommended."

Looks like I'd have to get some foam inserts too.

Just tried my XC in the mrspeakers ether case and the slappa hardbody case. A little tight but fits great in both.

Jim

Thanks for doing this Jim. When you say tight fit, how tight do you mean? Like, pads being compressed together?? To be honest the Mr Speakers case looks the best to my taste, would you recommend it?

Ben

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #2,174 of 4,151
Thanks for the comments guys!! All cases looks great.

Casebudi XXL

Review:

[COLOR=111111]"A great case for my [/COLOR][COLOR=111111]Audeze[/COLOR][COLOR=111111] LCD-XCs. Yes they fit great with space to spare. Actually the headphones would have fit in the slightly smaller "Extra Large" case if it was not for their "thickness" that is about 5"+. I had to buy some grey corrugated foam, cut it to size so that the headphones do not move inside the case.[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]The case itself is very well made, it looks sturdy, the zipper is smooth running and everything looks like it would last for a long time. Recommended."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=111111]Looks like I'd have to get some foam inserts too.[/COLOR]

Thanks for doing this Jim. When you say tight fit, how tight do you mean? Like, pads being compressed together?? To be honest the Mr Speakers case looks the best to my taste, would you recommend it?

Ben

The mrspeakers case was slightly narrow over the rods that hold the gimbal to the band but did close, was slightly difficult to get open. The Slappa was a stretch to zip around the bottom where the cups are and the cable attachments were but I think that will stretch with time. Definitely no room for padding or movement. I liked the way the Slappa fit better. I use it for my Sony z7 but I think I will get another for my xc when I don't want to use the hard case.

JIm

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #2,175 of 4,151
The mrspeakers case was slightly narrow over the rods that hold the gimbal to the band but did close, was slightly difficult to get open. The Slappa was a stretch to zip around the bottom where the cups are and the cable attachments were but I think that will stretch with time. Definitely no room for padding or movement. I liked the way the Slappa fit better. I use it for my Sony z7 but I think I will get another for my xc when I don't want to use the hard case.

JIm

Thank you for the great recommendation Jim. Gunna get one of these myself.

I know it's been discussed heavily in this thread, but how about cables for the XC? 

I'm looking at these at the moment:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/783557/toxic-cable-silver-widow-cables-for-audeze-headphones

http://www.head-fi.org/t/776569/fs-q-audio-french-silk-balanced-cable-for-audeze-lcd-2-3-4-x-xc-2-4-meter-8-ft-4-pin-xlr-black

Has anyone had either of these or both, and wants to comment on SQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back