AUDEZE LCD XC
Sep 22, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #2,147 of 4,151
I'm wondering, could you take the closed-back off the LCD-XCs and replace with X/3/2 side-grills if you decide you want an X instead of an XC? Know anyone who has tried this?

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #2,150 of 4,151
I´v had my XCs for a few months now, and I´m using them several hours at work each day. I guess a total playtime of 2-300 hours now. At first I was a bit disappointed. My XCs didn´t sound at all like the demo pair I tried. (I figured it was due to the fact that those had a super expensive Cavelli upgrade cable) My XCs lacked bass and was a bit shrill in the 1-4k region and was causing me listening fatigue.

I found the solution to be EQ. I lifted the bass and lowered the 1-4k area. But lately I have started to turn off EQ and to my surprise my cans now sound better without this EQ adjustment. The bass is more prominent than before and they are not as shrill as they used to be any more. I guess burn in took a bit longer than usual for these cans. 2-300 hours is a lot of time - but it´s very interesting to hear such a big difference. And  the listening fatigue I used to have is gone as well.

Just a thought for people who are judging these cans after just a few hours. Especially if they are brand new.

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #2,151 of 4,151
  I´v had my XCs for a few months now, and I´m using them several hours at work each day. I guess a total playtime of 2-300 hours now. At first I was a bit disappointed. My XCs didn´t sound at all like the demo pair I tried. (I figured it was due to the fact that those had a super expensive Cavelli upgrade cable) My XCs lacked bass and was a bit shrill in the 1-4k region and was causing me listening fatigue.

I found the solution to be EQ. I lifted the bass and lowered the 1-4k area. But lately I have started to turn off EQ and to my surprise my cans now sound better without this EQ adjustment. The bass is more prominent than before and they are not as shrill as they used to be any more. I guess burn in took a bit longer than usual for these cans. 2-300 hours is a lot of time - but it´s very interesting to hear such a big difference. And  the listening fatigue I used to have is gone as well.

Just a thought for people who are judging these cans after just a few hours. Especially if they are brand new.

It's been a month for me and the initial disappointment has given way to a deep appreciation for these headphones. I was hearing a shrill headphone with no bass as you described. Eventually I started hearing cymbals and bass, and the midrange smoothed out for me. But the turning point for me - please don't laugh - was changing from FLAC to WAV files.

Like you I am using the XCs at work. So I must use some kind of data file source (DX90 digital out > Burson Conductor SL). For years I have been using FLAC files and I thought that was the best way to store my music. But when I replaced in my previous phones (TH600 RIP) with the XCs, I initially blamed the poor sound on the XCs.

So I did some research and read that some people feel the WAV files sound better. So I tried A-B'ing a few WAV files through the DX90 and heard an immediate improvement. Suddenly I was hearing cymbals and bass thump. I feel this is due to the vastly superior resolution of the XCs although some was probably due to burn-in.

I'm sure you IT geeks out there are thinking there shouldn't be any difference between a WAV and a FLAC file, and I agree there should not be. But there is IMHO. So if there is anyone out there looking to bump up their bass, and you own the XCs or other worthy headphones, you might try a few WAV files before you tell me I'm crazy.

Since then I have made a significant investment in a Cocktail Audio X12 music server with a 1-TB SSD. I am loading it with WAV files and plan on replacing the DX90 with the X12 which also has a digital output. I am planning on ripping at least 1000 CDs from my 2500-CD collection. I will post a review of the X12 after I've lived with it a while.

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #2,153 of 4,151

It's been a month for me and the initial disappointment has given way to a deep appreciation for these headphones. I was hearing a shrill headphone with no bass as you described. Eventually I started hearing cymbals and bass, and the midrange smoothed out for me. But the turning point for me - please don't laugh - was changing from FLAC to WAV files.

Like you I am using the XCs at work. So I must use some kind of data file source (DX90 digital out > Burson Conductor SL). For years I have been using FLAC files and I thought that was the best way to store my music. But when I replaced in my previous phones (TH600 RIP) with the XCs, I initially blamed the poor sound on the XCs.

So I did some research and read that some people feel the WAV files sound better. So I tried A-B'ing a few WAV files through the DX90 and heard an immediate improvement. Suddenly I was hearing cymbals and bass thump. I feel this is due to the vastly superior resolution of the XCs although some was probably due to burn-in.

I'm sure you IT geeks out there are thinking there shouldn't be any difference between a WAV and a FLAC file, and I agree there should not be. But there is IMHO. So if there is anyone out there looking to bump up their bass, and you own the XCs or other worthy headphones, you might try a few WAV files before you tell me I'm crazy.

Since then I have made a significant investment in a Cocktail Audio X12 music server with a 1-TB SSD. I am loading it with WAV files and plan on replacing the DX90 with the X12 which also has a digital output. I am planning on ripping at least 1000 CDs from my 2500-CD collection. I will post a review of the X12 after I've lived with it a while.

I had a similar experience to your WAV vs FLAC files .... though in my case it was AIFF vs FLAC, with AIFF being the winner.
At the time I was having trouble streaming 24/96 HD tracks music files from my Macbook (JRiver Media Server) to my iPhone (JRemote).
16/44.1 AIFF was fine ...  though a lot of trouble streaming 24/96 (files were probably too big for the RAM in my iPhone ... as example, one of the songs from "Bat Out of Hell" is around 0.5 Gb).   So I tried converting all my music to FLAC (to shrink the file size) in a new folder on my NAS ... solved the issue of streaming 24/96 files, though something did not sound quite right.

Like you , I heard a degradation when using FLAC  (in comparison to AIFF in my case).
I found it hard to articulate what was wrong,  not so much the bass (which you experienced)... in my case it was PRAT,  particularly Timing.
So, I went back to AIFF.
Another weird thing I noticed, was it was easier to hear the degradation for 24/96 rather than redbook CD 16/44.1 when going to FLAC.

I do not know why this is so , and I work in IT   (AIFF being superior, like your WAV being better),  maybe less processing required by the CPU's in the gear.
Less processing, less EMI  ??? (my guess).
Though I am really just guessing for the cause  (less processing required for AIFF or WAV).

I am using an Auralic Aries now (instead of the JRiver/JRemote solution) and that is streaming 24/96 AIFF files without issue.

Anyway, just a quick note to let you know at least one other person hears a difference with FLAC ... unless we both have gone crazy.

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #2,154 of 4,151
Luckily hard drive space is so ludicrously cheap these days it doesn't really matter if you store your rips in plain old WAV, if that's your thing.

Oct 14, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #2,156 of 4,151
I'm looking to buy a portable amp to go with my FiiO X5 2nd Gen and not looking to break the bank (I'd rather spend the big money on my home system).  I am wondering if anyone has tried their XCs with the FiiO E12 or E12A portable amps and what their experience was like?

Oct 14, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #2,157 of 4,151
  Going pull the trigger for an amp next week, need to know which amp to get. Audio-gd master 11 or Schiit Molnir 2/Gungnir Multibit? Please help me choose.

Hi,
I didn't see any replies to your question.  I have no experience with the Audio-gd master 11, but the Schiit stack you mention is getting rave reviews all over this site.  I own the GMB (it's great!) and it is currently paired with the Bryston BHA-1 amp driving my LCD-XC.  Killer sound.  I believe the Mojo2 would be similar to the BHA-1.  If you can, try to listen to the gear yourself, or get feedback from owners of the equipment.  And...enjoy the music!

Best -
RCBinTN

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #2,158 of 4,151
I'm looking to buy a portable amp to go with my FiiO X5 2nd Gen and not looking to break the bank (I'd rather spend the big money on my home system).  I am wondering if anyone has tried their XCs with the FiiO E12 or E12A portable amps and what their experience was like?

I have the x5 and e12 and on the rare occasion that I use it, it sounds just fine.

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #2,159 of 4,151
Any thoughts on whether or not the newer E12A would have enough output for the XCs? I've read that it's sound is improved slightly but that FiiO reduced it's power output to cater to IEM users.

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #2,160 of 4,151
  Any thoughts on whether or not the newer E12A would have enough output for the XCs? I've read that it's sound is improved slightly but that FiiO reduced it's power output to cater to IEM users.

I wouldn't take the chance, and go with the E12 if IEMs are not your priority

Users who are viewing this thread

Back