AUDEZE LCD XC
Jan 23, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #4,126 of 4,137
I'm looking to sell my 2014 XC if anyone is interested.

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #4,127 of 4,137
I had an earlier version of the XC (Bocote wood) and sold them because I was still searching for 'the perfect headphone'. A year and half later I bought the 2021 version and I will never sell these. I use them with my RME ADI-2 at home and on work trips. Heavenly sound with EQ. I have heard nearly every headphone worth mentioning. Entry level, high end and nearly everything in between. Susvara, HE1, Abyss 1266 etc. The 2021 LCD-XC is my absolute favorite out of all of them. My leather headband is just starting to show signs of wear, so I am going to order one of these Understated Montreal headbands in Buffalo leather.
It is a pretty incredible and a very unique sounding headphone that responds so well to EQ. I love mine as well and need it badly when I listen at night. Reasonably quiet.

Attachments

• IMG_7216.jpeg
    IMG_7216.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7210.jpeg
    IMG_7210.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 27, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #4,129 of 4,137
Hey guys just got my 2021 LCD-XCs last week. Right now I'm pairing it with a Joltenheim 2 with the non-balanced cables. Any ideas for other amps/dac.

Also any good EQ settings that I can use with these as well.
I have the same headphones and using it with a Jot 2. These headphones IMHO to get the most out of them is EQ, balanced from Jot 2 (especially if good bass is desired) and a good DAC. These headphones can be tuned to sound anyway you like. If you like I can share my EQ settings later when I get home. I love these headphones in my setup. Zero desire to change or upgrade.

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #4,130 of 4,137
I have the same headphones and using it with a Jot 2. These headphones IMHO to get the most out of them is EQ, balanced from Jot 2 (especially if good bass is desired) and a good DAC. These headphones can be tuned to sound anyway you like. If you like I can share my EQ settings later when I get home. I love these headphones in my setup. Zero desire to change or upgrade.
Hey guys just got my 2021 LCD-XCs last week. Right now I'm pairing it with a Joltenheim 2 with the non-balanced cables. Any ideas for other amps/dac.

Also any good EQ settings that I can use with these as well.
I have had my current LCD-XC since early 2021. While I find them intolerable without EQ, with EQ they are as good as anything I have heard. I am including things like HE-1, Susvara and many other high end headphones. I like them better than any headphone I have heard, except maybe the LCD-5 and HE1000V2. The LCD-XC are supremely capable giant killers with EQ.

Having said all that, I do not own, nor have I listened to a Jot 2. It certainly has enough power. While in general I do find that balanced can add more left/right stage space to a recording, I do not find it adds much else with these headphones. So I just use them single ended.

I EQ mine on my RME ADI-2 DAC using only 5 of the available 7 bands. Outside of using the Bass/Treble knobs for certain tracks or genres, I have not changed my EQ settings for these in 2 years+. I can share my EQ if you want to try it out for a baseline EQ, that you can adjust to fit your preferences.

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #4,131 of 4,137
I have had my current LCD-XC since early 2021. While I find them intolerable without EQ, with EQ they are as good as anything I have heard. I am including things like HE-1, Susvara and many other high end headphones. I like them better than any headphone I have heard, except maybe the LCD-5 and HE1000V2. The LCD-XC are supremely capable giant killers with EQ.

Having said all that, I do not own, nor have I listened to a Jot 2. It certainly has enough power. While in general I do find that balanced can add more left/right stage space to a recording, I do not find it adds much else with these headphones. So I just use them single ended.

I EQ mine on my RME ADI-2 DAC using only 5 of the available 7 bands. Outside of using the Bass/Treble knobs for certain tracks or genres, I have not changed my EQ settings for these in 2 years+. I can share my EQ if you want to try it out for a baseline EQ, that you can adjust to fit your preferences.
Agree 100% regarding the performance of LCD-XC 2021 with EQ. For me they are not listenable without the EQ. The reason Jot 2 balanced to the headphones is important, is the headroom with balanced vs SE. That is if you want to properly tune the bass.

Apr 27, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #4,132 of 4,137
Yeah guys. I do agree. EQ is an absolute must. I’m using the Schiit Loki Mini + which is a very broad 4-band analog Equalizer. It is awesome. Haven’t looked back and the Loki saved me from selling the LCD XC. Boy am I glad I didn’t do that. 😌

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #4,133 of 4,137

Yes EQ settings would be appreciated! Thanks!

Agree 100% regarding the performance of LCD-XC 2021 with EQ. For me they are not listenable without the EQ. The reason Jot 2 balanced to the headphones is important, is the headroom with balanced vs SE. That is if you want to properly tune the bass.

Time to hunt down a balanced cable.

Yeah guys. I do agree. EQ is an absolute must. I’m using the Schiit Loki Mini + which is a very broad 4-band analog Equalizer. It is awesome. Haven’t looked back and the Loki saved me from selling the LCD XC. Boy am I glad I didn’t do that. 😌

Not going to lie a good physical EQ is pretty high up on my hit list as well.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:47 AM Post #4,134 of 4,137
Yes EQ settings would be appreciated! Thanks!

Time to hunt down a balanced cable.

Not going to lie a good physical EQ is pretty high up on my hit list as well.
Here is a pic of the settings. I use a free open source software for the PC called Equalizer APO. With the Peter Verbeek edition add-on, which is also free. This is a digital Parametric equalizer. Here are a few things to note:

* In the pic you can see the Pre Amplifying is at -21db. Windows 10 volume is at max. Mine is set like this for all genre of music, even when system tweaking or tuning. If you desire less bass or sub-bass you will be adjusting this pre-amplifier section to match your system. You want to make sure you set the "Pre Amplifying" so your system does not clip. You can save as many setups as you please for comparisons, different setups or source material.

* The EQ settings tune "my system" tonally to be a tad on the warmer side. Very dynamic, with no weird peaks, bass like a very good and musical sub and subwoofer like response.

* Jot 2 balanced out (to headphones) is very powerful. The LCD-XC 2021 will run off lower powered amps, but to get the most out of the headphones a powerful amp will make a big difference. This is especially true if you are wanting to tweak the bass and sub-bass region. The extra headroom makes a big difference. The LCD-XC 2021 take to EQing like a champ. Like I mentioned previously, one can literally tune the LCD-XC 2021 tonally to sound however you desire.

* Most of my listening is between 9:30pm and 11pm on the volume knob, like seen in the Jot pic.

* The LCD-XC 2021 and Jot 2 scale really well with DAC and source. Any lowering of the noise floor within the system is easily heard and appreciated with this headphone and amp pairing.

Attachments

• Equalizer APO settings with - LCD-XC - Jot 2 and Odin 2.JPG
    Equalizer APO settings with - LCD-XC - Jot 2 and Odin 2.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Jot 2.jpg
    Jot 2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 0
Apr 28, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #4,136 of 4,137
Thanks a ton I got those apps now to tinker a bit.
Use/save my settings as a guide. Then tune for your setup. You can also email Audeze with your model number and S/N, to request a graph of the frequency response of your headphones from the factory at production. They responded within 48 hours to me with the graph.

Apr 28, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #4,137 of 4,137
I find this EQ setting quite good with the XC using the Loki mini +
I don’t touch the treble cause I actually find the treble tonality to be quite good. Overall if I may say. I think the XC will stay with me for good. Proper EQ allows the XC to be more genre diverse.

Attachments

• IMG_7884.jpeg
    IMG_7884.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7797.jpeg
    IMG_7797.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back