AUDEZE LCD XC
Jun 27, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #1,486 of 4,137
  I don't call it brighter since that word implies leaner bass to me.

Strictly speaking, that's not really what brighter is supposed to mean.

Jun 27, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #1,487 of 4,137
Ross buddy, how are you? I tried recordings of different quality today. For example, I have Boston which I think has been recorded great. The XC I thought near faithfully reproduced the music. You could hear everything; however the guitars were a little more forward and hence clearer. I don't call it brighter since that word implies leaner bass to me.
However on other recordings where I myself am dubious about the quality the overall sound was brighter. Don't know if this helps.

Hey dude! Am good here..ok i get what you mean by your description, very clear. I think the MJ is pretty neutral and aggressive sounding.

Jun 28, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #1,489 of 4,137
Jun 28, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #1,490 of 4,137
hey kokushu,
i compared the xc and the th900 4 months ago. the th900 has a much thicker bass in its sound, while the xc was more dry. anyhow, due to the fact that the xc is closed back, the sound was still very bass intensive, simple perfect i would say. the further difference is, that the xc is more roomy. when you listen to a classic concert, you don´t say, the trumpet is left, the violins are right, the singer is in the middle, you can say, some is left front, left behind, etc., it is really 3D.
basically, when i came to the shop, my intention was to purchase a th600. but when i listened to the th900, i was convinced to drop the idea of the 600. then, i listened to various headphones from hd800 to the akg812, from some hifiman to the whole range of stax until i heard the xc. that one is for me still so much fun to listen to, it was a great decision to purchase it finally.
today, the xc is in my chain with a macbook pro, puremusic2, goldnote dac7, violectric v200. cables oehlbach xlr and aqvox usb.

Jun 28, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #1,494 of 4,137
  Prince,
a little off topic but I will be auditioning the 6 while my friend will be auditioning my XC. I see you have both. Thoughts?

Make sure you've got enough juice for the HE6. 
None of my headphone amps have come anywhere close to showing me what the HE6s are capable of.
Set them up with a nice speaker amp and these animals will come to life.
Am running them with a 50wpc vintage Pioneer SA3000.

Extremely transparent, with great soundstage width. Nicely textured bass. Treble is slightly more energetic than what I'd prefer.
Sibilant vocals will sound sibilant. No LCD3 warmth here. 
Closest I have come to Stax009 in terms of transparency.

Jun 28, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #1,495 of 4,137
I've heard a feedback from a user of LCD-X testing it with Chord Hugo and comparing it with McIntosh and was blown away by Hugo.
Anyone tried LCD-XC with Hugo?

Jun 28, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #1,496 of 4,137
  I've heard a feedback from a user of LCD-X testing it with Chord Hugo and comparing it with McIntosh and was blown away by Hugo.
Anyone tried LCD-XC with Hugo?

I've had a brief audition with the XC/Hugo pairing with source from my HTC mobile via Bluetooth and USB - it drives the XC pretty well on its own with a musical and full sound. Am sure with better source material, it could sound better or maybe with a separate amp in the chain, it should benefit the XC more.

Jun 28, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #1,497 of 4,137
None of my headphone amps have come anywhere close to showing me what the HE6s are capable of.

Extremely transparent, with great soundstage width. Nicely textured bass. Treble is slightly more energetic than what I'd prefer.

Agreed. I would think the HE-6 to be pretty transparent and neutral. When I drove it with a vintage Pioneer SX-1280 (>120wpc) out of the headphone jack, the 6 sounded full and thumping, no sibilance at all but I would say it sounded pretty warm. Could be the amp's sound but whatever, it sounded good! No...make that great!

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #1,498 of 4,137
Just to clarify, I'm using the speaker taps of my Pioneer

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #1,499 of 4,137

Thanks. I have the Emotiva miniX but I also have an old JVC integrated receiver. If none works, time to go shopping.

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #1,500 of 4,137
LCD XC best portable synergy set up

Source : AK 240
Amp : Fostex HP V1 tube hybrid
Cable : Crystal Cable DreamLine Mini to mini
Headphone : LCD XC

My impression :
High : silky smooth extended high with very good in detail and presentation
Mid : very sweet and neutral sounding midrange , no sibilance at all male and female voices
Bass : very good in detail and very clean bass , impact is good like tube amp , not so deep but
On the right portion no more no less
Separation : very good music separation
Soundstage : wide with very good depth too

Overall :
Very clean and very good clarity and very smooth sounding music .audiophile sound quality
I can hear for longer hours never get fatigue to my ears
One of the best synergy from my portable collection to drive my LCD XC

IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back