AUDEZE LCD XC
Jun 23, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #1,456 of 4,127
I've taken home the XCs to try out to replace my HD 600s, and I have a couple questions and am looking for some advice. 

#1: I'm not sure if it's just because I'm not in the right mood, but I feel as if these don't "rock" as much as my HD 600s and the LCD-2s. Do you guys feel the same?

#2: I've noticed that when I turn up the volume, I can barely get 1/3rd through the volume range on my Schiit Lyr before they are too loud, but it's not a comfortable loud. It's very distorted. I think it might be due to the quality of the source, but maybe it has to do with the resolution of my Schiit Modi DAC?

#3: Has there always been this much detail in recordings? I can pick up the rudiments on cymbals and so much other stuff it's crazy. The bass is incredible. It's very present if the song calls for it, and the detail makes bass guitars more nuanced than I've ever noticed.

Unfortunately I won't be able to try out the LCD-X or the LCD-3 before I buy, but if one of those seems to answer those first two questions, let me know. I plan on getting a Oppo HA-1 or something in that range come Christmas time, so the Modi+Lyr combination isn't fixed.

Jun 23, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #1,457 of 4,127
@lids369 I can't compare to the 600s, but I did do some listening compared to the 650s. Re 1, my initial reaction was definitely the same. I felt the 650s "rocked" more.

If I didn't need closed cans, I probably would have gone with something else... But because I need closed cans at work I have (and love) the LCD-XCs sound.

I do still find their weight to not be ideal.

Re 3 the detail and bass are incredible... Just incredible. The sound also feels lighter than the 650s, if that makes sense.

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #1,458 of 4,127
  I've taken home the XCs to try out to replace my HD 600s, and I have a couple questions and am looking for some advice. 

#1: I'm not sure if it's just because I'm not in the right mood, but I feel as if these don't "rock" as much as my HD 600s and the LCD-2s. Do you guys feel the same?

#2: I've noticed that when I turn up the volume, I can barely get 1/3rd through the volume range on my Schiit Lyr before they are too loud, but it's not a comfortable loud. It's very distorted. I think it might be due to the quality of the source, but maybe it has to do with the resolution of my Schiit Modi DAC?

#3: Has there always been this much detail in recordings? I can pick up the rudiments on cymbals and so much other stuff it's crazy. The bass is incredible. It's very present if the song calls for it, and the detail makes bass guitars more nuanced than I've ever noticed.

Unfortunately I won't be able to try out the LCD-X or the LCD-3 before I buy, but if one of those seems to answer those first two questions, let me know. I plan on getting a Oppo HA-1 or something in that range come Christmas time, so the Modi+Lyr combination isn't fixed.

I found I needed an extensive burn-in period before the XCs revealed its magic ...

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,459 of 4,127
Thanks a lot. I know what you mean, they do sound lighter than the Sennheisers. I will be living in a college apartment building, so the closed aspect will help lower the noise floor. I found out these headphones were opened a couple days ago, so I'm thinking they aren't fully broken in yet (regarding the distortion as the volume increases). I've been letting them run all day and will continue through the night, and I think it's getting progressively better.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #1,460 of 4,127
I personally have never worried too much about open headphones and noise from the outside world. In general, unless I'm in a truly noise env (like a coffee shop or train) open doesn't bother me. And in some ways is useful and feels more normal. I find it's mostly about isolating others from my music (roommates and office mates)

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #1,461 of 4,127

I persisted with the XC and after a week, it turned out to be the HP I was hoping for. IMO, of course.

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #1,462 of 4,127

Initially, yes I had a similar experience. BUT, after listening to the XC exclusively for a while I got used to the sound and everything else I own began to sound congested like I was listening more to a recording than a performance. I find it hard going back to a less resolving, engaging, and realistic sound. My LCD-2 rev2 is now regulated to listening in my home office while working, but for enjoyment I'll reach for the XC.

The speed of the drivers is amazing! With the XC's I feel you need to have good quality (and well mastered) source files. Every single detail is shown for better or worse. I don't think the Modi would cause any issues but the XC can take advantage of a TOTL DAC. The Lyr may have too much power for the XC's efficiency, but I haven't heard Lyr with the XC so I can't say for sure. Your tubes may be a poor match also.

A lot of recordings have more detail than people realize. I've heard an artist playing an acoustic guitar session shuffling in his chair and tapping his foot to the music. I've never heard this in the track before and I literally turned around because I thought I heard someone in the room with me.

I don't have the 3 or X but I've heard them and I'd say that they are different but still in the same family. I don't know if you've read it before but here is a good write up on the XC's on Headfonia. As for the HA-1 I have nothing but praise for the synergy with the XC. The DAC implementation is great and the amp section is powerful and transparent allowing the XC to sing very naturally to me. For me the HA-1 is a highly recommended amp/DAC with the XC.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #1,465 of 4,127
Can somebody guide me with a portable system to use LCD-XC with .

I intend to use them with my iPhone (yeah) and confused whether

1. Should I just pick up a good portable amp for it. For what I've been reading 
Mk3 - B+ ​
from AloAudio is really a good match for it. It has excellent 18 hours of battery life. 

2. Should I actually pick DAC+Amp combo , in that case Centrance Hi-Fi M8 seems to be like a good fit with least amount of wires and cables. Battery life on other hand is just 6 hours (which i still decent enough for me) 

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #1,466 of 4,127
I heard the Audeze LCD-XC for the first time last Saturday with with a Ayre QB-9 + Leben integrated + Synergistic Research PowerCell 4 SE + SR Active USB cable and also XCs + BMC PureDAC in balanced mode. In both cases I was very impressed with the XCs. Fantastic resolution, perfect tonal balance imo and very confortable, at least in the short time I listened to them. I am more of a speakers person, and the XCs are the best headphones I have yet heard.

There was also a Sennheiser HD800 to compare side by side. Not only the bass was a little thinner than the XCs in quantity, I much preferred the resolution of the mids and highs in XCs. The HD800s are very very good of course, but the XCs are just better, not only in my opinion but for all others there present.

If one takes into consideration all the cables and accessories that come standard, plus the fact that is very low impedance and high sensitivity, the XCs are easy to drive and I believe (I have not tested yet) that the XCs may be a killer match to high-end DAPs such as A&K and Calyx M.

I would only cite as inconveniences (not really cons) the weight and the appearance. I think the materials are all high quality but it looks rather bulky and simple compared to the the headband mechanics and construction of the HD800 or Beyers even. But soundquality is incredible, nothing missing or in excess imho.

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #1,467 of 4,127

[COLOR=757575]Mk3 - B+ [/COLOR]​
from AloAudio is really a good match for it. It has excellent 18 hours of battery life. 

2. Should I actually pick DAC+Amp combo , in that case Centrance Hi-Fi M8 seems to be like a good fit with least amount of wires and cables. Battery life on other hand is just 6 hours (which i still decent enough for me) 

Get this combo.

X5 —> e12—> XC.

The DAC in the X5 is a great match for the XC and the e12 has more than enough power and for some fun you can toggle the bass boost which is well done (tight, without bleeding in to the mids) on the e12. Of course you could do better with better amps for portable, but not at this cost.

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #1,468 of 4,127
Get this combo.

X5 —> e12—> XC.

The DAC in the X5 is a great match for the XC and the e12 has more than enough power and for some fun you can toggle the bass boost which is well done (tight, without bleeding in to the mids) on the e12. Of course you could do better with better amps for portable, but not at this cost.

Thanks but I want to use my iDevice only actually . Could you recommend what's the best thing I can do with it? 

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #1,469 of 4,127
  What DAC do you use now?

I have an Emotiva DC-1, it seems to run them reasonably well.  I've never had a better hp amp or DAC so I don't know what I'm missing (yet).

Power output:
750 mW into 8 ohms
1200 mW into 32 ohms
180 mW into 300 ohms
90 mW into 620 ohms

My guess it is has some at 20ohm resistance there is something around 1W available.

Sometimes I use a LittleDot VIII balanced Tube amp.  I haven't used it much yet.  Going to be bringing it down to work soon.

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #1,470 of 4,127

Mk3 - B+ ​

http://www.head-fi.org/t/691151/audeze-lcd-xc/1365#post_10586897

Users who are viewing this thread

Back