AUDEZE LCD XC
Feb 8, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #736 of 4,127
Just in case anyone was wondering (or not
evil_smiley.gif
), if I run the gain all the way up, and with a fairly hot source (around 2V output), my Decware CSP2+ has no
problem driving the XC's.

BTW, the CSP is OTL. 
confused_face.gif
 (Sounds like codetalk to me.
biggrin.gif
)

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #737 of 4,127
The LCD-XC sounds like a kitchen radio after TH-900. Let me elaborate...

Once again I´ve been fooled by the Head-Fi so called "professional" impressions and reviews about these headphones, but this time I ain´t bitter. I actually like the LCD-XC! But not for the reasons what people are here talking about. Let me go deeper...

LCD-XC are a very mid precense headphones. The total opposite of the TH-900, which is "fun, pumping and kicking V sound", but still very accurate. They have a huge boost around 1kHz - 4kHz hence the "kitchen radio". From 4k the frequencies go down which make them warmish around that area, but come back up around 8k to give it air and "expensiveness". Because of this crazy mid boost the bass quantity is not huge either. So these are definitely not bassy headphones! I would say similar to HD 800 and T1, but it does go deep in the subs.

So these are definitely not neutral. Definitely not for bassheads. Definitely not the "Audeze house sound" (LCD-2 / LCD-3) like some have said. So definitely not for those who like that warm sound. You simply can´t listen to these with loud volumes or that mid range will rip your ears off! These are something completely different for Audeze. So gongratulations for them! The resolution and soundstage are amazing though despite this really strange mids exaggerated frequency curve.

So all in all, I really like the sound for some applications like mixing the midrange, but these are not really for music enjoyment like LCD-2 or LCD-3.

Now I wonder how crazy different the LCD-X sounds, ´cause the impressions and reviews were so totally wrong about the LCD-XC.

One more thing! Warning!

These headphones are VERY VERY VEEEEEEERY uncomfortable. The most uncomfortable headphones I´ve ever tried. They weigh like crazy. 1 hour is max I can keep these on my head and after my head hurts. There´s not enough padding in the headband! Also the fazor technology touches and irritates my ears.

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #738 of 4,127
yea, i thought about getting the LCD-XC as well but decided to go with TH900 after looking at the weight of it. I'm already struggling with the weight of LCD-3 but it seems like XC is even 100 grams heavier..... Is this a big problem for owners out here? or do u just get used to weight like that?

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #739 of 4,127
The weight bothers me none since when I put them on I'm doing serious music listening and don't get up off my Lazy Boy 
smily_headphones1.gif

They are well balanced. The th900s are noticeably lighter. The LCDs do not feel uncomfortable to me. The padding is great.
If I was to be moving around I can see how they would fall off and be a problem so I just don't!
Plus would you want to risk hurting such an expensive and nice headphone?

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #740 of 4,127
  The weight bothers me none since when I put them on I'm doing serious music listening and don't get up off my Lazy Boy 
smily_headphones1.gif

They are well balanced. The th900s are noticeably lighter. The LCDs do not feel uncomfortable to me. The padding is great.
If I was to be moving around I can see how they would fall off and be a problem so I just don't!
Plus would you want to risk hurting such an expensive and nice headphone?

Your head is made of steel! Gongratz on your head of steel. :)

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #743 of 4,127
You must have a really nice kitchen radio if they sound like the XCs  LOL
Seriously though you gave a perfect description of how the XC's sound. I couldn't agree with you more.
I love mine too but I wouldn't want them as my only headphones. My th900s would fit the bill though. 

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #744 of 4,127
  You must have a really nice kitchen radio if they sound like the XCs  LOL
Seriously though you gave a perfect description of how the XC's sound. I couldn't agree with you more.
I love mine too but I wouldn't want them as my only headphones. My th900s would fit the bill though. 

Glad to hear someone having the same impressions as me! I thought I was going crazy reading some of the other impressions here and even the reviews from the so called "professionals".

I definitely love the TH-900! Way more than the LCD-XC, but I really like the LCD-XC too… the sound of them, not the comfort!

I do wished though that the LCD-XC would have been the LCD-2/3 "Audeze house sound", but with no upper mids scoop. But I got something way more different, something totally new. Which is fine… for now! :)

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #745 of 4,127
Wow. .. amazing last few posts. .. They kind of make sense. I did prefer the 3 for some of the reasons stated, deeper bass,more balanced sound for easier listening. Guess it goes to prove that there is no perfect headphone. Even the TH900 leaks too much. Is the T5p the answer for closed headphones?

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #746 of 4,127
  yea, i thought about getting the LCD-XC as well but decided to go with TH900 after looking at the weight of it. I'm already struggling with the weight of LCD-3 but it seems like XC is even 100 grams heavier..... Is this a big problem for owners out here? or do u just get used to weight like that?

+1, I just got TH900 instead of LCD-XC due to comfort issue.  You cannot really believe the reviews from others, each individual has their own taste. :)
You just have to try until it suits you.

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #747 of 4,127
Wow. .. amazing last few posts. .. They kind of make sense. I did prefer the 3 for some of the reasons stated, deeper bass,more balanced sound for easier listening. Guess it goes to prove that there is no perfect headphone. Even the TH900 leaks too much. Is the T5p the answer for closed headphones?

If you want that doesn't leak, try ED8, I prefer Ultrasone than beyers. But that's just me.
I am waiting for edition 8 price to drop below $1k at Amazon. ^^.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #748 of 4,127

If you want that doesn't leak, try ED8, I prefer Ultrasone than beyers. But that's just me.
I am waiting for edition 8 price to drop below $1k at Amazon. ^^.

Seriously, for the $, I'd grab the HP50s over the Ed.8s. So much better sounding headphones than the Ultrasones (and objective measurements really match my first hand experiences). Maybe back in the day, the Ed.8s were great headphones, but they have been surpassed.

With regards to the weight issues, on my head, I've never had issues with the LCD-XC. I find them very comfortable and oh so very natural sounding.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #749 of 4,127
Seriously, for the $, I'd grab the HP50s over the Ed.8s. So much better sounding headphones than the Ultrasones (and objective measurements really match my first hand experiences). Maybe back in the day, the Ed.8s were great headphones, but they have been surpassed.

With regards to the weight issues, on my head, I've never had issues with the LCD-XC. I find them very comfortable and oh so very natural sounding.

Oh I never heard hp50 :) thanks for suggesting. I owe you big time haha.

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #750 of 4,127
images

(facepalm)

I guess this is the part where people tell me I'm deaf and crazy. The XC is not a reference headphone, in my opinion, and is very much a bassy sounding headphone, again, in my opinion. To my knowledge a reference headphone should be as uncolored as possible, something the XC very much is. To my knowledge, most headphones that possess a mid bass hump and lots of sub bass, which the XC does, would be considered a bassy headphone. Maybe I'm being overly touchy on my end but is there anyone on here who would agree with my assessment of the XC? I'm at a loss on my end as to why so many peoples impressions seem to be all over the map concerning the XC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back