AUDEZE LCD XC
Feb 9, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #752 of 4,150

These headphones are VERY VERY VEEEEEEERY uncomfortable. The most uncomfortable headphones I´ve ever tried. They weigh like crazy. 1 hour is max I can keep these on my head and after my head hurts. There´s not enough padding in the headband! Also the fazor technology touches and irritates my ears.

Since doing the mod to my LCD-XC's, I find them to be very comfortable, and even with their weight, I could quite easily wear them for hours ( the longest I've had them on for is three hours ) .
However since using the Psvane EL34PH's with my BHSE, from now on I'll only be listening to my LCD-XC's for no more than an hour, because after an hour warm up the BHSE sounds better, and my 009 / BHSE using the PH tubes is easily the best SQ I've heard from any of the headphone / amp combo's I've heard.

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #753 of 4,150
It is definitely not a new phenomenon that Elvis experiences the "AM Radio" sound (as some of us call it) when moving from the TH-900 or other bright sounding phones. I have posted about this many times in the TH900 and LCD-X/3 threads.

When you're going from the TH900 to either the LCD-3, LCD-2 or by a smaller margin, the LCD-X, you will definitely hear a huge difference in sound signatures. I believe in cases such as these your brain burn in process is pertinent in order to get adjusted. All these Audeze headphones depend on a vacuum tight seal with the ear pads. They also present the music with a "wall of sound" approach that is relative to the planar magnetic technology where the mylar diaphragm is equal in tension all over the plane. Dynamic headphones on the other hand have a looser diaphragm that can introduce a more "dynamic" sound because of the amount of air that can be pushed. Dynamic cans also will always have the better sound stage when compared to the planar maggies.

On the topic of sound signatures: I am not sure why reviewers are of the opinion that these LCD-X/LCD-XC are similar to the LCD-2 and 3.
The bass of the LCD-X/XC is no where near the bass of the 3 or 2 in quantity. They have completely different sounding signatures at both extremes of the frequency range. The only little similarity may be the mid-rage, but there are a few differing peaks and dips in that range also. So obviously, I would not account these new cans from Audeze as bass-head cans but more for monitoring applications and without a doubt, the LCD-2/3 are definitely for bass-heads.

That's my 2% of a dollar.

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #755 of 4,150
It is definitely not a new phenomenon that Elvis experiences the "AM Radio" sound (as some of us call it) when moving from the TH-900 or other bright sounding phones. I have posted about this many times in the TH900 and LCD-X/3 threads.

When you're going from the TH900 to either the LCD-3, LCD-2 or by a smaller margin, the LCD-X, you will definitely hear a huge difference in sound signatures. I believe in cases such as these your brain burn in process is pertinent in order to get adjusted. All these Audeze headphones depend on a vacuum tight seal with the ear pads. They also present the music with a "wall of sound" approach that is relative to the planar magnetic technology where the mylar diaphragm is equal in tension all over the plane. Dynamic headphones on the other hand have a looser diaphragm that can introduce a more "dynamic" sound because of the amount of air that can be pushed. Dynamic cans also will always have the better sound stage when compared to the planar maggies.

On the topic of sound signatures: I am not sure why reviewers are of the opinion that these LCD-X/LCD-XC are similar to the LCD-2 and 3.
The bass of the LCD-X/XC is no where near the bass of the 3 or 2 in quantity. They have completely different sounding signatures at both extremes of the frequency range. The only little similarity may be the mid-rage, but there are a few differing peaks and dips in that range also. So obviously, I would not account these new cans from Audeze as bass-head cans but more for monitoring applications and without a doubt, the LCD-2/3 are definitely for bass-heads.

That's my 2% of a dollar.

It's interesting that you call the LCD 3 a HP for the bass head. IMO, the 2 is but my 3 sounds a lot more neutral. Yes the bass is available when needed and very tight and controlled but it doesn't sound boomy. YMMV I suppose.

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #757 of 4,150
Who ever said that a bass-head headphone needs to be boomy? I believe that definition may apply to the ubiquitous Sony bass-head Extra bass series and Dre beats.

However, There are bass heads that want quality, sub-lime bass, and the LCD-2 and 3 offer exactly that. If you take a closer look at Audeze's founders tastes and who endorses the products (take a look at the Audeze website), then you will come out with a clear picture that they were designed to be appealing to bass-heads.

Now, the LCD-X and XC are a completely different take on this sound, therefore people who liked the LCD-2/3 may not like the LCD-X/XC.

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #758 of 4,150
Who ever said that a bass-head headphone needs to be boomy? I believe that definition may apply to the ubiquitous Sony bass-head Extra bass series and Dre beats.

However, There are bass heads that want quality, sub-lime bass, and the LCD-2 and 3 offer exactly that. If you take a closer look at Audeze's founders tastes and who endorses the products (take a look at the Audeze website), then you will come out with a clear picture that they were designed to be appealing to bass-heads.

Now, the LCD-X and XC are a completely different take on this sound, therefore people who liked the LCD-2/3 may not like the LCD-X/XC.

Ok, time to revise my dictionary then :). Interestingly enough, l love the XC presentation so much that I prefer them to the TH 900 amongst closed headphones. I have no problem switching between the 3 and the XC. My $ 0.02.

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #759 of 4,150

So is anyone willing to say how xc bass compares to hp50, th900, T5p?

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #761 of 4,150
  The LCD-XC sounds like a kitchen radio after TH-900. Let me elaborate...

Once again I´ve been fooled by the Head-Fi so called "professional" impressions and reviews about these headphones, but this time I ain´t bitter. I actually like the LCD-XC! But not for the reasons what people are here talking about. Let me go deeper...

LCD-XC are a very mid precense headphones. The total opposite of the TH-900, which is "fun, pumping and kicking V sound", but still very accurate. They have a huge boost around 1kHz - 4kHz hence the "kitchen radio". From 4k the frequencies go down which make them warmish around that area, but come back up around 8k to give it air and "expensiveness". Because of this crazy mid boost the bass quantity is not huge either. So these are definitely not bassy headphones! I would say similar to HD 800 and T1, but it does go deep in the subs.

So these are definitely not neutral. Definitely not for bassheads. Definitely not the "Audeze house sound" (LCD-2 / LCD-3) like some have said. So definitely not for those who like that warm sound. You simply can´t listen to these with loud volumes or that mid range will rip your ears off! These are something completely different for Audeze. So gongratulations for them! The resolution and soundstage are amazing though despite this really strange mids exaggerated frequency curve.

So all in all, I really like the sound for some applications like mixing the midrange, but these are not really for music enjoyment like LCD-2 or LCD-3.

Now I wonder how crazy different the LCD-X sounds, ´cause the impressions and reviews were so totally wrong about the LCD-XC.

One more thing! Warning!

These headphones are VERY VERY VEEEEEEERY uncomfortable. The most uncomfortable headphones I´ve ever tried. They weigh like crazy. 1 hour is max I can keep these on my head and after my head hurts. There´s not enough padding in the headband! Also the fazor technology touches and irritates my ears.

You've apparently been on head-fi since 2008, so I would think you'd know that there is no headphone where the feedback is uniform. The only constant is that people hear differently and have varying preferences. You'll find opinions that run the gamut on any and every headphone you could come up with. I've only been into headphones since late 2011, but even in that short time it's been plainly obvious to me what others like or dislike has little correlation to what I will think about it. 

One thing that has helped me is to tune out the hyperbole whenever possible. A good example of this is the comfort thing. I heard people saying that about Grados back when I first started finding my way around this side of the hobby and if I would have listened to it more than I did, I may never have discovered a line of headphones that I ended up really connecting with. The same has also been true of Audeze phones. I don't know what the older pads were like, but when I first tried on some LCD-2s this past fall, I not only found them not uncomfortable, but comfortable. Were they on par with the T1s? Not quite...but my experience was very much the opposite of those who were most vocal about the comfort. 

So I don't know what you're referring to exactly when you say how the "professionals" at head-fi were wrong, but I would think you'd have a pretty good idea by now that the saying that opinions are like the round openings in our butts is very valid when it comes to audio. 

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #762 of 4,150
  I've never had issues with the LCD-XC. I find them very comfortable and oh so very natural sounding.

Another head of steel, gongratz! I find them the most uncomfortable headphones ever! And I´ve tried and own lot of headphones.

And sorry, but they don´t sound natural at all. Unless natural in your world means a roller coaster in the frequency curve (meaning big boosts and big scoops).

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #763 of 4,150

You've apparently been on head-fi since 2008, so I would think you'd know that there is no headphone where the feedback is uniform. The only constant is that people hear differently and have varying preferences. You'll find opinions that run the gamut on any and every headphone you could come up with. I've only been into headphones since late 2011, but even in that short time it's been plainly obvious to me what others like or dislike has little correlation to what I will think about it. 

One thing that has helped me is to tune out the hyperbole whenever possible. A good example of this is the comfort thing. I heard people saying that about Grados back when I first started finding my way around this side of the hobby and if I would have listened to it more than I did, I may never have discovered a line of headphones that I ended up really connecting with. The same has also been true of Audeze phones. I don't know what the older pads were like, but when I first tried on some LCD-2s this past fall, I not only found them not uncomfortable, but comfortable. Were they on par with the T1s? Not quite...but my experience was very much the opposite of those who were most vocal about the comfort. 

So I don't know what you're referring to exactly when you say how the "professionals" at head-fi were wrong, but I would think you'd have a pretty good idea by now that the saying that opinions are like the round openings in our butts is very valid when it comes to audio. 

Yeah, I´ve pretty much learned that you can´t trust the head-fi community, especially not the so called "professionals". But there are still some people that are dead on with their impressions, but they are hard to find from all the babble.

Are the LCD-XC:

Natural and transparent, NOPE!
Audeze "house sound" (LCD-2/3), NOPE!
Big bass, NOPE!
Comfortable headphones, NOPE!!!

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #764 of 4,150
I find the bass in the XCs to be completely to my liking.  The problem I had with them (which, on the other hand, has been solved with the Moon Audio Black Dragon Cable) is that they tend to be too bright (if I had to guess, the brightness does not come from the treble really, but from the upper mid region), which makes them sound completely different from the LCD-2 and LCD-X.  Once the brightness has been tamed, they do sound sublime.  Sometimes I find myself listening to my TH900s...other times I grab for my LCD-XCs.  I haven't decided which sounds better, but once you consider that the TH-900 sounds great out of virtually any headamp (which the XCs do not) and that they weigh much less - and are one of the most comfortable headphones in the marked, which the XCs are definitely not), I would say that the TH-900 is the better headphone.  With regard to the T5p, I must say that I love it since Classical music sounds sublime with it (i.e., in my opinion, the best portable headphone ever created), but bassheads need not apply.

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #765 of 4,150

Yeah, I´ve pretty much learned that you can´t trust the head-fi community, especially not the so called "professionals". But there are still some people that are dead on with their impressions, but they are hard to find from all the babble.

Are the LCD-XC:

Natural and transparent, NOPE!
Audeze "house sound" (LCD-2/3), NOPE!
Big bass, NOPE!
Comfortable headphones, NOPE!!!

I think you can trust them in the sense that they are speaking from their perspectives and no one elses. It also looks like your frame of reference is the Stax 009, which is likely going to outclass anything else you audition. Further, glancing at your post history, it's pretty clear after just a few minutes that you have had comfort issues with several headphones over the past couple of years and that you seemingly feel headphones fall short of your ideal, which would be a high end pair of monitors in a treated room that measure flat. Sounds to me like headphones just might not be your cup of tea in general, I don't know. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back