AUDEZE LCD XC
Feb 6, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #706 of 4,150
I've posted what I'm doing just so others can if they want to, also sometime ago when I was doing my 009's, I posted some photos of the brackets I had made. Those bracket have brass screw inserts in them because it wasn't possible to thread the aluminium, the inserts are only around 2/8" long. I'd do the brackets myself but I haven't the machinery. Anyway the next time I post a photo of my LCD-XC's , will be with the new headband. I'm just waiting for the 3M Di-Noc Bubinga sheet, and I don't know how long it'll take the engineer to do the two brackets.
If I can get hold of them, I'll probably use 009's ear pads with my LCD-XC.

damping a headphone is just for the sake of a stronger bass wright ?

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #708 of 4,150
I cannot find a suitable amp for the XC. For all the new headphone-related products being released these days, it's amazingly difficult to find a non-balanced, solid state amp which puts out 1-2 watts and falls within the £1000 price bracket. Other than the Soloist and V200 - both of which I've owned in the past - there seems to be nothing.

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #709 of 4,150
Dampening withdrawals resonance. That helps with more than bass. Resonance is a hinder to all things that make a headphone good. Such as imaging. Think of it like this. A headphone doesn't produce a stereo image. Your brain does (psychoacoustics)but because headphones aren't perfect what they do is actually degrade the ability to create a perfect stereo image. Speed plays a big factor in this but resonance really degrades the brains ability to separate the different sounds. Resonance also muffle small micro dynamics that can really bring the magic out of a recording

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #710 of 4,150
I cannot find a suitable amp for the XC. For all the new headphone-related products being released these days, it's amazingly difficult to find a non-balanced, solid state amp which puts out 1-2 watts and falls within the £1000 price bracket. Other than the Soloist and V200 - both of which I've owned in the past - there seems to be nothing.

I was going to suggest this, but unfortunately it is way more expensive there than it is in North America: http://hifilounge.co.uk/bryston-bha-1-headphone-amplifier. Here it goes for equivalent of £850.
It runs in either balanced or unbalanced modes. Best amp I have heard with planars for less money than the Cavalli Liquid Fire, and I have heard a lot of amps at meets. Of course YMMV. My current Asgard is unsuited for driving these.

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #711 of 4,150
I was going to suggest this, but unfortunately it is way more expensive there than it is in North America: http://hifilounge.co.uk/bryston-bha-1-headphone-amplifier. Here it goes for equivalent of £850.
It runs in either balanced or unbalanced modes. Best amp I have heard with planars for less money than the Cavalli Liquid Fire, and I have heard a lot of amps at meets. Of course YMMV. My current Asgard is unsuited for driving these.

Yeah, I like the look of the Bryston and the praise for it is almost universal. Does it convert to balanced native if you're using an unbalanced source?

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #712 of 4,150
Yeah, I like the look of the Bryston and the praise for it is almost universal. Does it convert to balanced native if you're using an unbalanced source?

The manual is ambiguous, but since it allows you to select either balanced or unbalanced inputs, I would guess that it does.
I am sure Bryston or one of the folks on Head-Fi could answer.
It is an amazing amp, I may end up buying one if my Geek Pulse doesn't cut it.

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #713 of 4,150
The manual is ambiguous, but since it allows you to select either balanced or unbalanced inputs, I would guess that it does.
I am sure Bryston or one of the folks on Head-Fi could answer.
It is an amazing amp, I may end up buying one if my Geek Pulse doesn't cut it.

Not saying I don't like it, but....shame it's not a cooler looking, smaller design like some....oh, and cheaper of course!

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #714 of 4,150
Not saying I don't like it, but....shame it's not a cooler looking, smaller design like some....oh, and cheaper of course!

A single-ended only version would be smaller and likely $100s less, but I doubt if they will offer it. It would reduce the amp module count from 6 to 2.

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #715 of 4,150
Long story but in a few words I'm so impressed with Audezes customer service.  The first pair of  XCs I bought direct from Audeze arrived last week with a paint defect which got past their QC folks.  I took a photo and emailed and they bent over backwards to make me a happy customer.  They sent me a half dozen pix of handpicked phones and let me pick my fave. And issued Fedex pickup for me and immediately sent out the new pair!  Kudos to Tony and his staff!
I just got them a few hours ago and they are beautiful and perfect! 
Sound wise they are very nice and flat.  They are not in the same bass league as the Th900's, but have a smoother sound. Not better just different.
Good to have a choice of sound palettes.

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #716 of 4,150
  Long story but in a few words I'm so impressed with Audezes customer service.  The first pair of  XCs I bought direct from Audeze arrived last week with a paint defect which got past their QC folks.  I took a photo and emailed and they bent over backwards to make me a happy customer.  They sent me a half dozen pix of handpicked phones and let me pick my fave. And issued Fedex pickup for me and immediately sent out the new pair!  Kudos to Tony and his staff!
I just got them a few hours ago and they are beautiful and perfect! 
Sound wise they are very nice and flat.  They are not in the same bass league as the Th900's, but have a smoother sound. Not better just different.
Good to have a choice of sound palettes.

Actually, I think the LCD-XC are better than the TH-900s. 
redface.gif

Congrats on your new headphones!

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #718 of 4,150
Pray tell...

At the moment I'm not saying, but I'll post some photos when I've done what I'm doing, having said that, I don't want anyone thinking I'm shallow.[/quote]

Quote:
I'm all for jokes, but shallow isn't a word I'd use if I was joking with someone. Yes I have ordered the LCD-XC because I like how it looks, but I also intend to do something which for me will or should improve it's looks even further.

And I don't want anyone thinking I'm bald but there's no hair on my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back