AUDEZE LCD XC
Jul 27, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #3,947 of 4,137
I have an LCD-X and I do a bit of wood working and I was thinking about making a pair of closed cups for them so I could convert them to XCs (or close to them). I was wondering if anyone knows if the inside of the cups are hollow with damping material or just flat (and if this changed with the 2021 revision)?

Jul 28, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #3,948 of 4,137
I have an LCD-X and I do a bit of wood working and I was thinking about making a pair of closed cups for them so I could convert them to XCs (or close to them). I was wondering if anyone knows if the inside of the cups are hollow with damping material or just flat (and if this changed with the 2021 revision)?

The cups are hollow, fully filled with acoustic wool, with screen covers over the acoustic wool (preventing any wool fibre got to the drivers)

Aug 3, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #3,949 of 4,137
Does anyone else have the lcd-xc leak from the screw points of the wooden cups? It's not significant, but enough that it was more than I was expecting. Can't be used around a sleeping person.

Aug 3, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #3,950 of 4,137
Does anyone else have the lcd-xc leak from the screw points of the wooden cups? It's not significant, but enough that it was more than I was expecting. Can't be used around a sleeping person.
Yes - the XCs leak quite a lot for a closed back and the screws are the main culprits. I eventually got a pair of ZMF Verity Closed which don't leak nearly as much (and are a step up in SQ). Still have my XCs and use them in the garden with a portable AK380 - they're very low impedance so perfect for this. I did experiment with various foam pads inside the XC cups but everything just made the sound worse. What I didn't try - which might work - was using a rubber or plastic washer with the screws, or even sourcing plastic screws. Ultimately, Audeze need to find another way of affixing the cup, or change the cup design.

Aug 3, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #3,951 of 4,137
Has anyone figured out yet how to get the Reveal plugins to work with Apple Music? I love the sound of my XCs when they are properly EQ’d but can’t figure out a way to EQ using Apple Music.

Aug 12, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #3,952 of 4,137
2019 LCD_XC vs. Elegia (Sheepskin)

Enjoying my new purchase! First of all, the wood cups look so classy.

I find the LCD-XC to be brighter and more resolving than the Elegia with Dekoni sheepskin pads. The sound stage opens up and instrument isolation is much better. I am hearing tiny details across 180 degrees.

The bass is less boomy - much cleaner and tight. Mid range (vocals) are more forward and crisp. Treble is much brighter, but this works well for my 70+ old-guy ears.

Fit... 730 grams takes some trial and effort to get a comfy fit. First, leather head band was touching the spring steel so I had to adjust the strap by about 8mm (see picture). Then I needed some support behind my head. My La-Z-Boy recliner works. Also lying on my bed with a soft pillow also takes the weight off. Comfy now :)

I made up a 4.4mm balanced cable with Canare microphone cable (see below). The soldering tried my patience! One dry solder joint had me stumped for hours. I would recommend purchasing rather than DIY.

My Fiio M11 Pro balanced output drives the LCD-XC nicely.

I find the sound isolation to very good. Checked for loose screws on the cups - no issues.

Here is a Bass Heavy playlist for enjoying what the LCD-XC has to offer:

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/333e7833-4956-4cc7-af27-e7891910ceeb

Attachments

• DSCF2475c.jpg
    DSCF2475c.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF2482c.jpg
    DSCF2482c.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #3,953 of 4,137
I got the itch for a new toy so I picked up a pair of new LCD-XC 2021 model. I was curious if anyone has compared the leather with steel suspension band to the leather and carbon one that Audeze sells on their website as an accessory for $200? Specifically what I would like to know is the ear cup clamping force difference?

The only reason I am thinking of buying the Carbon headband is because I like the way it looks. The 20 gram lighter may or may not be beneficial.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 17, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #3,954 of 4,137
I got the itch for a new toy so I picked up a pair of new LCD-XC 2021 model. I was curious if anyone has compared the leather with steel suspension band to the leather and carbon one that Audeze sells on their website as an accessory for $200? Specifically what I would like to know is the ear cup clamping force difference?

The only reason I am thinking of buying the Carbon headband is because I like the way it looks. The 20 gram lighter may or may not be beneficial.

Thanks in advance!
From what I've been told, the carbon fiber one is more structurally rigid, meaning it isn't as malleable as the spring steel one, so it'll retain its clamping force, while the spring steel headband can be worked a bit for more or less clamp.

Having tried both when I was at HQ, I didn't feel like there was a significant difference but if you have some issues with clamping force, perhaps consider the spring steel which you can stretch out.

Aug 17, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #3,955 of 4,137
From what I've been told, the carbon fiber one is more structurally rigid, meaning it isn't as malleable as the spring steel one, so it'll retain its clamping force, while the spring steel headband can be worked a bit for more or less clamp.

Having tried both when I was at HQ, I didn't feel like there was a significant difference but if you have some issues with clamping force, perhaps consider the spring steel which you can stretch out.
I appreciate the response. The LCD-XC I got comes with the steel version. I will call Audeze. Based on what you said about malleability is a good point. I am concerned that the carbon fiber version may have to much or to little clamp force. And as you eluded to, will not be adjustable.

Aug 17, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #3,956 of 4,137

Thanks in advance!
I have the 2021 XC with the Carbon band, both of which I ordered directly from Audeze, so everything is current production. The steel one that I have is definitely 20% clampier out of the box. I have a fat head though so maybe not everyone will notice. I think probably if you have an average to smaller head the steel might be better if you like a tighter fit. The Carbon headband sure does look nice in person though.

Aug 17, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #3,957 of 4,137
I have the 2021 XC with the Carbon band, both of which I ordered directly from Audeze, so everything is current production. The steel one that I have is definitely 20% clampier out of the box. I have a fat head though so maybe not everyone will notice. I think probably if you have an average to smaller head the steel might be better if you like a tighter fit. The Carbon headband sure does look nice in person though.
Thanks for the response. I really like the way the carbon version looks but I was thinking that the seal may not be as good from cups/pads to face. I have a smaller to medium size for male face. And I doubt the carbon fiber is adjustable, should be very rigid. I will call Audeze and see what they say. Thanks again for responding, was helpful!

Aug 17, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #3,958 of 4,137
Just got a new pair of LCD-XC 2021. After 5-6 hours of listening and EQing the overall sound reproduction is very good. Started with Resolve's EQ settings using Equalizer APO Peace version and added to the sub and bass region. If I can get a bit more bass and sub bass slam that would make these headphones just about perfect for me. Anyone have more aggressive EQ settings to further tune up the bass and sub bass response? Any ideas, I am not a pro at using EQs? I have included a pic of current EQ settings. Most listnening is Tidal Master tracks, but Youtube and Netflix and HBO Max movies also. Listen to all music genres. Using the LCD-XC with modded Schiit Asgard 3 and modded Schiit Modius via spdif from PC. Thanks, in advance!

Attachments

• Current APO EQ Settings.jpg
    Current APO EQ Settings.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 0
Aug 19, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #3,959 of 4,137
For owners of these or any Audeze headphones that are having issues with the weight of the headphones, I found a easy way to mitigate the weight issue. I have the 2021 version of the LCD-XC. At first the weight would start to stress the back of my neck after 20 mins or so. Now the weight does not bother me a bit. I just watched a 2.5 hour star wars movie and not bothered by the weight. Now when wearing the headphones I do not feel the weight at all. I am surprised I have not read about this anywhere, especially on Audeze's website or by reviewers.

Here is what I did differently: Naturally one would place the head band at the center top of the head, this could cause strain on the neck, especially with long sessions. The trick is to move the headband forward toward the face, about half way between the start of the forehead and the top center of the head. When I do this, there is zero tension at the neck or anywhere else. Really cannot feel the weight of the headphones anymore. Sonically I cannot tell a difference when the head band is more forward or at the top of my head. I can move my head in any direction including up and down and the headphones stay put. This works for me, hopefully this helps others.

Aug 26, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #3,960 of 4,137
Two birds with one stone. Just converted my LCD-XC to LCD-X with grills from Audeze.0102211227.jpg
I tried this week to purchase LCD-X grills for my LCD-XC. Audeze's response:

Thanks for your inquiry.

If you have an LCD-X, please complete/verify/correct the following:

<my name and address>

Phone Number:
Serial Number of LCD-X:

We would also need a receipt/proof of purchase of the headphone. Management has taken the stance that all models are unique unto themselves, so we're not able to mix and match parts from different models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back