AUDEZE LCD XC
Jun 5, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #3,917 of 4,137
I can only imagine that the new Carbon XC’s must be nice but for me after the LCD4’s I like the LCD3’s. The LCDX’s are nice but I personally prefer the LCD3’s. The XC’s make for nice closed headphones.
LCD-2 is still my favorite

Jun 5, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #3,919 of 4,137
I got hooked on the LCD2 Rev1 and then the LCD3C. The fazor elements added change but until the LCD4’s I missed the lushness of the LCD3C. I think the LCD4 headphones are the best of all worlds but the LCD3’s are still a favourite. Not crazy for the X’s but the XC’s are nice.
Still have to hear both LCD-3 and LCD-4...one of these days

Jun 5, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #3,921 of 4,137
You will become hooked. If you hear the 4’s you will have to own a pair one day. I have found the additional Danacable Lazuli Nirvana cable greatly improves the sound but the cable is the same price as the headphones. Worthy upgrade funds permitting.
That is what I'm afraid of 😄 I find new stock cables from Audeze excellent.

Jun 5, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #3,922 of 4,137
The LCD4 stock cable is pretty good. Some of the insanely expensive cables are a unique experience but not necessary. Nice but not necessary. I am a cable junky but I’ve satisfied my itch. It took years of trial and error and money.

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #3,923 of 4,137
Jun 10, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #3,924 of 4,137
It's a real bummer they don't sell replacement cups. I know the bubinga isn't available anymore, but it would be nice to see other exotics.
Just ordered a b-stock Maple, with 2021 drivers and pad updates apparently. Let's see how it turns out when it arrives.
Bubinga, from 2014 or 2015.

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #3,926 of 4,137
They should be nice headphones.
I don't doubt that. The ones I tried out about 2 or 3 years ago (I don't even know what year we're in anymore) were absolutely beautiful. I've been wanting a pair ever since. I'm sure my ears will be happy.

Jul 10, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #3,927 of 4,137
Next month I'll be auditioning a few planar magnetic headphones. The latest Audeze LCD-XC will be amongst them. One of my requirements is to be able to find a planar that's drivable with a mobile device (e.g. a good quality DAP).

Is anyone using a DAP with their LCD-XC? If so, are you getting a good enough sound quality from your LCD-XC? I have headphone amps at home that should drive the LCD-XC quite well, so home use isn't an issue.

I'm just looking for one planar that'll work for outdoors/travel and home listening, If the LCD-XC isn't going to cut it for travel use then is the regular LCD-X (open) at least as good as the XC for sound quality for home use?

Jul 10, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #3,928 of 4,137
Next month I'll be auditioning a few planar magnetic headphones. The latest Audeze LCD-XC will be amongst them. One of my requirements is to be able to find a planar that's drivable with a mobile device (e.g. a good quality DAP).

Is anyone using a DAP with their LCD-XC? If so, are you getting a good enough sound quality from your LCD-XC? I have headphone amps at home that should drive the LCD-XC quite well, so home use isn't an issue.

I'm just looking for one planar that'll work for outdoors/travel and home listening, If the LCD-XC isn't going to cut it for travel use then is the regular LCD-X (open) at least as good as the XC for sound quality for home use?
Sure am.
iBasso DX220 and discrete amp8 module (Fidelizer Mod). Sounds perfect to me...stock card 8 just a bit less in the synergy.
I have old and new XC right now, and both good in their own way but the old XC has the edge in layering with the old dip and peak in the mids it had vs the way the new one presents. Heard from quite a few people going in 1.5k-2k territory DAPs after above combo then going back to it.

Jul 10, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #3,929 of 4,137
Sure am.
iBasso DX220 and discrete amp8 module (Fidelizer Mod). Sounds perfect to me...stock card 8 just a bit less in the synergy.
I have old and new XC right now, and both good in their own way but the old XC has the edge in layering with the old dip and peak in the mids it had vs the way the new one presents. Heard from quite a few people going in 1.5k-2k territory DAPs after above combo then going back to it.
Thanks for the reply. I'll check with the shop I'll be going to if they have the old XC in stock and audition that too. I see that the Amp8 is balanced out with a decent voltage and current. I intend using a Cayin R01 module on my N6ii which is single-ended and rated 430mW @ 32Ohms (balanced). It's slightly above the recommended power for the new LCD-XC so I have my fingers crossed that it'll work.

I found the new XC specs here: https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-xc

Minimum power requirement: >100mW
Recommended power level: >250mW

So my R01 module should be okay in theory.

Jul 10, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #3,930 of 4,137

I think the weight might be more of an issue for mobile use? They are quite heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back