AUDEZE LCD XC
Apr 23, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #3,901 of 4,144
The Renaissance Wax Polish made the cups nice and shiny (and presumably better protected) but didn't do anything for the flaws. It bothers me to some degree but not enough to ditch the wood. At first glance you could dismiss the flaws as natural variation unless you have an unflawed example to compare them to, which I have. I don't think this wax can hurt, I will keep using it on all my Audeze once a year or so.

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #3,902 of 4,144
Weird one...graph says otherwise - but XC definetly feels weightier and more extended than Aeon 2Cs in the subs...
Wish I bought XCs years and years ago..so I do.
Audeze LCD-XC vs DCA Aeon 2.jpg

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #3,904 of 4,144
Weird one...graph says otherwise - but XC definetly feels weightier and more extended than Aeon 2Cs in the subs...
Wish I bought XCs years and years ago..so I do.
Audeze LCD-XC vs DCA Aeon 2.jpg
FR graph will tell you just about nothing regarding tone and the "weight" of the notes, or how the various harmonics interact with each other when music is playing.

May 2, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #3,907 of 4,144
If you could choose a LCD-4z or LCD-24 to complement the (pre 2021) XC which would you choose...?
I think in broad strokes 4z is hyper focused + vivid and 24 diffuse and speaker-like from the company comparisons vid.

May 2, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #3,908 of 4,144
I would vote 4z because I love my LCD4’s. I have not heard the 24’s. Having a 2017xc I think the 2021 X’s are a nice compliment but the 4’s are my favourite and then the 3’s.

May 2, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #3,909 of 4,144
Exactly my thought on latest X also, it could be as simple as that one vs 4 or 24 as well.

All things considered, testing a ton of cans last 6 months.. I think the Audeze house sound is simply the best for my preference...was surprised at how poor the imaging and dynamics of Empyrian were.....Diana v2..one slight move and the seal breaks - poor product design for all these different head sizes and 1 year warranty outside EU...seriously...latest DCA stuff (though more balanced) just lacks the heft of the LCD line..though king for being featherweight and ergonomic...HFM oval can stuff,oversized and too ethereal and wispy.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #3,910 of 4,144
Anyone using Hugo or Hugo 2 with woodie XC....synergy ?

Jun 4, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #3,911 of 4,144
I like the character of my 2017 XC’s and find them a nice compliment to my 2021 LCDX and LCD4 headphones.
I've been following some of your posts about the XC's and 2021 X's.
I'm currently debating on either getting an older wood cup XC or a 2021 X, and honestly I cannot make a decision. The Bubinga is gorgeous, and I really want it, but do you think the sound signature/quality on the '21 X is "better"? Which do you prefer more, and why? Which would you say has a tighter, punchier bass response. I plan on using these in the studio, so I know neutral is the way to go, but I think I'd prefer one with a slightly punchier bass, as more music I listen to is electronic (house, techno, downtempo specifically).

Would love to hear your thoughts, especially anything you haven't already shared in this thread.

Jun 4, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #3,912 of 4,144
So, the lacquered finish on one of my wood LCD-XCs is starting to fail. Feels rough and you can small flaws multiplying across it:

20210421_165822.jpg

The strange thing is my other LCD-XC, bought at roughly the same time (2014/2015), are flawless. I treated them both pretty well so I'm not sure what the cause is. From everything I've read there is no need for continual upkeep of the finish, such as with wax, but in retrospect probably it was a good idea to do so nonetheless (and I will start doing so, including on my LCD-4 as well).

I'm guessing there is no fix for this. While I hate to ditch the wood I think I'd rather just swap in carbon cups for this pair. I see they are not sold separately, so I just filed a ticket with Audeze hoping for them to sell me some. Anyone had any luck getting them to do this?

Yikes! Is this the Maple or Bubinga version, and what year, if you don't mind me asking?

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #3,913 of 4,144
I've been following some of your posts about the XC's and 2021 X's.
I'm currently debating on either getting an older wood cup XC or a 2021 X, and honestly I cannot make a decision. The Bubinga is gorgeous, and I really want it, but do you think the sound signature/quality on the '21 X is "better"? Which do you prefer more, and why? Which would you say has a tighter, punchier bass response. I plan on using these in the studio, so I know neutral is the way to go, but I think I'd prefer one with a slightly punchier bass, as more music I listen to is electronic (house, techno, downtempo specifically).

Would love to hear your thoughts, especially anything you haven't already shared in this thread.
I find the older wooden cup XC’s more exciting than the new X’s but I find I can listen to the new X’s longer without fatigue. I have not heard the new XC’s but perhaps they would be a compromise. I don’t know.

Jun 5, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #3,914 of 4,144
I find the older wooden cup XC’s more exciting than the new X’s but I find I can listen to the new X’s longer without fatigue. I have not heard the new XC’s but perhaps they would be a compromise. I don’t know.
....am on the fence to buy a new/used 2021 X or used Rad-0 to complement my XCs same as you have...yes, can imagine they are way more linear vs the soft W character signature of the XCs (as I say they are like with stock pads)....wish my Aeon2s had that Audeze macrodynamic heft..they would be near perfect with that added...light as a feather.

Jun 5, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #3,915 of 4,144
I purchased mine in the beginning of the year (XC carbon). It sounds wonderfully extended and detailed, without any harshness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back