AUDEZE LCD XC
Dec 2, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #226 of 4,150
I'm all for jokes, but shallow isn't a word I'd use if I was joking with someone. Yes I have ordered the LCD-XC because I like how it looks, but I also intend to do something which for me will or should improve it's looks even further.

for head-fiers looks are just an added bonus...excellence in sound it the ultimate priority.  Even though I was kidding when I said you were "shallow" for getting the LCD-XCs for their looks, when you imply that the sound is secondary to the looks (i.e., you make it sound like having a trophy that is nice to look at is your ultimate goal), then we are not speaking the same language.  But to each his own.  I wonder why you are so touchy about it, though.  We head-fiers will suffer ugly monstrosities, heavy helmets, funky colors, etc., all in the name of glorious sounds.  For instance, only an audiophile would be caught dead wearing those rather stupid-looking, ugly-ass (at least in my opinion) AK1000s...or those older electrostatic headphones that look like two shoeboxes attached to a wire! But suffer it we will...just for the sake of sound.

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #227 of 4,150
  Why do you say TH900 is "semi-closed"? I'm near purchasing a TH900 for work where I don't want to disturb my neighbors. I'm following this thread because LCD-XC is in the running as well but I think I won't like the clamp.

They are fully closed headphones. The T1s are semi-open. There is no exhaust port on them like say Bose headphones. They don't isolate as well as many, but actually they don't leak that much compared to many closed headphones. They got my wife's "seal of approval" over my (now sold) W3000ANVs for leaking less sound (and I prefer the Fostex's sound)...so it was win-win-lose (wife-me-wallet).

That said, I've got a pair of LCD-XC coming in shortly and I'll report back. The thought of an Audeze closed headphone might just displace my TH-900s as my prime go to closed headphones. And if they isolate better and leak less, then I would be one happy camper. 

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #229 of 4,150
  They are fully closed headphones. The T1s are semi-open. There is no exhaust port on them like say Bose headphones. They don't isolate as well as many, but actually they don't leak that much compared to many closed headphones. They got my wife's "seal of approval" over my (now sold) W3000ANVs for leaking less sound (and I prefer the Fostex's sound)...so it was win-win-lose (wife-me-wallet).

That said, I've got a pair of LCD-XC coming in shortly and I'll report back. The thought of an Audeze closed headphone might just displace my TH-900s as my prime go to closed headphones. And if they isolate better and leak less, then I would be one happy camper.

It will take some doing to displace the TH900s.  Since I truly trust your opinion, if you say that the LCD-XCs have displaced the TH900s as the best close headphones, I'll tend to believe you and my end up ordering a pair myself...but I hope you don't say that, so that I can live happily with my TH900s without having to wonder "what could have been"!

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #230 of 4,150

Looking forward to your impressions, Peter. 
smile.gif

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #231 of 4,150
  It will take some doing to displace the TH900s.  Since I truly trust your opinion, if you say that the LCD-XCs have displaced the TH900s as the best close headphones, I'll tend to believe you and my end up ordering a pair myself...but I hope you don't say that, so that I can live happily with my TH900s without having to wonder "what could have been"!

Looking forward to your impressions, Peter. 
smile.gif

We shall see. I gotta say that in photos, the XCs look amazing! Based on initial impressions from others, they should isolate/leak better and if they maintain that Audeze naturalness to their sound, we might have a winner on our hands. 

I really like the TH-900s, but I would like a more "neutral" closed headphone that brings the goods. 
redface.gif

Dec 2, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #232 of 4,150

We shall see. I gotta say that in photos, the XCs look amazing! Based on initial impressions from others, they should isolate/leak better and if they maintain that Audeze naturalness to their sound, we might have a winner on our hands.

I really like the TH-900s, but I would like a more "neutral" closed headphone that brings the goods. 
redface.gif

The mids in the TH900s could be a little bit more prominent...I suspect that since the Audezes have always been the kings of midrange, we are going to have quite a horse race in our hands.  I would be quite surprised if the sound stage approaches that of the TH900s, which is quite amazing considering the are closed (semiclosed?) headphones.  But you are right...the TH900s are fun headphones (as the U shaped headphones tend to be), but nobody would accuse them of being neutral.

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #233 of 4,150
i would love to hear some impressions on the XC since it seems to be an interesting headphone. 

i personally would not buy the XC because its heavier than TH-900, isn't as good looking, and probably a little harder to drive. I would look weird at work wearing XC's too
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #234 of 4,150
  i would love to hear some impressions on the XC since it seems to be an interesting headphone.

i personally would not buy the XC because its heavier than TH-900, isn't as good looking, and probably a little harder to drive. I would look weird at work wearing XC's too
wink.gif

three reasons why I am having second thoughts about getting these despite the wonderful reviews:
1. Like you, I'm afraid of the weight, although at least from the pictures I've seen, they look even prettier that the already pretty TH900s
2. I have just ordered the LCD-Xs, which are supposed to be much better and open-sounding even though they are as heavy; since I have the TH900s (among other closed headphones) I am not truly in need of another closed pair.
3. Mama Mia! That price...almost 2K!!!

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #235 of 4,150
LOL yeah. The XC does look a tad out of place on small/narrow heads. The way the cups are shaped, sorta made me look like a hamburger.

Already posted my impressions earlier in the thread. Nothing further to add as I returned the XC today morning.

Dec 3, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #236 of 4,150
I'm all for jokes, but shallow isn't a word I'd use if I was joking with someone. Yes I have ordered the LCD-XC because I like how it looks, but I also intend to do something which for me will or should improve it's looks even further.

for head-fiers looks are just an added bonus...excellence in sound it the ultimate priority.  Even though I was kidding when I said you were "shallow" for getting the LCD-XCs for their looks, when you imply that the sound is secondary to the looks (i.e., you make it sound like having a trophy that is nice to look at is your ultimate goal), then we are not speaking the same language.  But to each his own.  I wonder why you are so touchy about it, though.  We head-fiers will suffer ugly monstrosities, heavy helmets, funky colors, etc., all in the name of glorious sounds.  For instance, only an audiophile would be caught dead wearing those rather stupid-looking, ugly-ass (at least in my opinion) AK1000s...or those older electrostatic headphones that look like two shoeboxes attached to a wire! But suffer it we will...just for the sake of sound.

When I got the SR-009, I did so for it's SQ, however because I didn't like it's headband, I did something about it, and in putting a new headband on, it didn't alter the SQ, but for me it made my 009's look very nice, and I'm doing something to that headband that'll make it look even better without sacrificing the SQ. Obviously the main priority in audio equipment is SQ , but if it's possible for it to look good aswell, that's what I'd sooner have. I've never heard the LCD-XC, and while I don't think it'll sound as good or better than the SR-009, I'm getting it to give me a different sound to listen to.
I'm also getting it for it's looks, but like the 009's, I'm not entirely happy with how the LCD-XC looks, which is why I'm going to do something that'll make the LCD-XC more pleasing to look at for me.

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #238 of 4,150
When I got the SR-009, I did so for it's SQ, however because I didn't like it's headband, I did something about it, and in putting a new headband on, it didn't alter the SQ, but for me it made my 009's look very nice, and I'm doing something to that headband that'll make it look even better without sacrificing the SQ. Obviously the main priority in audio equipment is SQ , but if it's possible for it to look good aswell, that's what I'd sooner have. I've never heard the LCD-XC, and while I don't think it'll sound as good or better than the SR-009, I'm getting it to give me a different sound to listen to.
I'm also getting it for it's looks, but like the 009's, I'm not entirely happy with how the LCD-XC looks, which is why I'm going to do something that'll make the LCD-XC more pleasing to look at for me.

Mod away... it's your perogative and your money. Just send a photo of it and it might catch on?

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #239 of 4,150
Mod away... it's your perogative and your money. Just send a photo of it and it might catch on?

I"m not certain if you're being sarcastic here but if you're not aware David1961 does have some serious skills & guts to do some major aesthetic and comfort modding. Below is the Stax SR-009 mod he had done a highly commendable job on :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650947/mods-for-sr-009/90#post_9468870

If there's anyone who could do an XC mod, he's one I'd place my faith in.

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #240 of 4,150

I"m not certain if you're being sarcastic here but if you're not aware David1961 does have some serious skills & guts to do some major aesthetic and comfort modding. Below is the Stax SR-009 mod he had done a highly commendable job on :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650947/mods-for-sr-009/90#post_9468870

If there's anyone who could do an XC mod, he's one I'd place my faith in.

Thats a fantastic mod. I fully agree that the SR009s aren't the most pleasing sight in their stock form.
When I do get my 009s, I'll try to get this mod done as well. It helps having a full fledged workshop at your (my) disposal. 
wink_face.gif

Thanks for sharing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back