AUDEZE LCD XC
Nov 9, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #1,741 of 4,127
I was contemplating between LCD 3 and X for a while both which I have auditioned at local meet as an upgrade from LCD 2.2. At the end, I decided to get XC instead based on review by Mike on Headfonia. I always trust his review so far.

Long story short,
My XC finally arrived couple days ago, woohoo........!
beyersmile.png

My first impression was wow...one gorgeous looking headphone but boy it weights a ton! Started listening and I noticed a vast improvement from the 2.2 .The breaking in only took less than couple hours and the sound was smooth, balance and very full already. Then I noticed the SQ is not as clear and as transparent as I expect. It is ...a bit mushy and veiled! Typical situation one would expect with stock cable, well at least to my sensitive ears. I switched to sliver litz made by Ted and Voila...
gs1000.gif
. The difference is not subtle but night and day to my ears. Imagine watching 720p to 4K TV .The depth perception, imaging, separation and bass got stronger and much cleaner. This headphone has the Best bass sound. While the 2.2 has slam the XC is more punchy, deeper and well rounded and textured.

XC is so much easier to drive than 2.2 on my AK120II on both balance and SE, almost no amp needed.

I have portable amps and i found the best pairing was with ALO Rx MK3 B, better than Intruder, Continental and E12.

I'm just glad I picked this one and again, Mike was right it sounds more like closed 3 instead of the X. IMHO.

Nov 9, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #1,742 of 4,127
  The breaking in only took less than couple hours and the sound was smooth, balance and very full already. Then I noticed the SQ is not as clear and as transparent as I expect. It is ...a bit mushy and veiled! Typical situation one would expect with stock cable, well at least to my sensitive ears. I switched to sliver litz made by Ted and Voila...
gs1000.gif
. The difference is not subtle but night and day to my ears. Imagine watching 720p to 4K TV .The depth perception, imaging, separation and bass got stronger and much cleaner. This headphone has the Best bass sound. While the 2.2 has slam the XC is more punchy, deeper and well rounded and textured.

Hi Skyfall,

I would add that you have a ways to go for full break in on your XCs. I found improvements on my pair up until 200 hours or so.

Ted is a great guy and it doesn't surprise me you like his cables.

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #1,743 of 4,127
Yeah, I've been messing with it comparing between XC and LCD 2 I found that XC sounds like or close to a very well driven LCD 2 with cleaner, wider and punchier sound. Also a bit more high mids and treble extension which is very welcome improvement.
My jaw drops every time I'm listening to it....what a beautifully balance sound and it is so refined, I can't get enoough of it!

@jwbrent
It looks like the major burn in has done and now off to fine tuning it.
I was looking Moon Audio Black Dragon several reviews had been really satisfied with it. But I love the Silver from Ted and I think I can settle down for now unless there's anything better out there lol.
More improvements on XC = more love
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #1,744 of 4,127
In regards to amps for the LCD-XC, do they play best with tubes or solid state? Any amps out there that seem to be a great match?

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #1,745 of 4,127
IMO My recommendation is go SS (or Hybrid) for the XC (For all my other HP's I prefer tubes over SS). From the amps that I have heard the XC with I like (in order of preference):

• Audio GD Master 9 / Cavalli Liquid Glass (this is a hybrid amp) - Both are a tie
  • Schiit Mjo

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #1,746 of 4,127
  I have read some posts about XC + Schiit Mjolnir being bright. Well I just got the Mj few days back & it pairs very well with the XC. I do not detect any brightness, infact the treble is perfect for me now (just for people to know where I am coming from - I love the HD 800 & T1 treble and find the LCD 3's a bit dark). Very dynamic sound with decent sound stage, the WA22 will give  a better sound stage but I prefer the treble on the MJ. Am using a Yulong bal Dac.

Thanks for the information.
Just to confirm - with the Mjolnir the mids & treble of the X are good for you...not overly bright?

Thx,
RCBinTN

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #1,748 of 4,127
  Yeah, I've been messing with it comparing between XC and LCD 2 I found that XC sounds like or close to a very well driven LCD 2 with cleaner, wider and punchier sound. Also a bit more high mids and treble extension which is very welcome improvement.
My jaw drops every time I'm listening to it....what a beautifully balance sound and it is so refined, I can't get enoough of it!

@jwbrent
It looks like the major burn in has done and now off to fine tuning it.
I was looking Moon Audio Black Dragon several reviews had been really satisfied with it. But I love the Silver from Ted and I think I can settle down for now unless there's anything better out there lol.
More improvements on XC = more love
biggrin.gif

Hi Skyfall,

I'm happy to read your impressions and I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment on the XCs. My only niggle about them is the bottom octave ... I wish there was a bit more weight and slam. I own a Luxman tube amp with a great headphone section and a Hugo in which to make this observation.

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #1,749 of 4,127
  No, Not bright, quite Neutral.

Thanks.  Sounds like we have similar tastes.  I also enjoy the HD800 treble (driving with the Senn HDVA600 amp) and do not prefer the dark sound.  I appreciate your help -

Best -
RCB

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #1,750 of 4,127
Mr JW,

While I love the way LCD XC renders the bass with good authority and punch but yeah it could use just a bit more "bigger" SLAAAM... like LCD 2.2. That being said, I like to pair it with Alo MK3 which known for it's Bass ! This way i feel complete as I got the details from the silver cable and the warm plus bigger Slaaam from the RX3.

The new FW from my AK120ii has a new EQ settings "AKT5P" and it's Awesome ! Works really well for LCDs. Like I stated on AK120ii thread, it's fuller, sweeter, less forward and more low ends.

note: I am still waiting for Hugo and sys concept optical IC to arrive
gs1000.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #1,751 of 4,127
I had the chance to listen to the LCD-2F LCD-3F LCD-XC and LCD-X

The LCD-X was to me the best of the bunch for "neutrality". The LCD-XC was somewhere between the LCD-3F and LCD-X in terms of sound but with a more enclosed feeling (but probably the most open closed can I heard so far). The LCD-2F was the one with most bass but lacked a bit on definition. The LCD-3F was less neutral then the X or the XC, closer to the LCD-2, but with all the definition (warmer then the X or XC, not as bright with mid a bit more in background).

So because I wanted something different then the T1, I took the LCD-3F, but I really liked the metallic design of the LCD-X. To me, and that's my opinion only, the LCD-X sounded like a superior headphone overall for fidelity of reproduction, but the LCD-3F was "funnier" and more lay back without compromising too much, which is what I was looking for. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #1,752 of 4,127

The LCD-X was to me the best of the bunch for "neutrality". The LCD-XC was somewhere between the LCD-3F and LCD-X in terms of sound but with a more enclosed feeling (but probably the most open closed can I heard so far). The LCD-2F was the one with most bass but lacked a bit on definition. The LCD-3F was less neutral then the X or the XC, closer to the LCD-2, but with all the definition (warmer then the X or XC, not as bright with mid a bit more in background).

So because I wanted something different then the T1, I took the LCD-3F, but I really liked the metallic design of the LCD-X. To me, and that's my opinion only, the LCD-X sounded like a superior headphone overall for fidelity of reproduction, but the LCD-3F was "funnier" and more lay back without compromising too much, which is what I was looking for. 

Very good comparison of the Audeze line up. Easy, relatable, and to the point. :)

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #1,753 of 4,127
Quote:
  Mr JW,

While I love the way LCD XC renders the bass with good authority and punch but yeah it could use just a bit more "bigger" SLAAAM... like LCD 2.2. That being said, I like to pair it with Alo MK3 which known for it's Bass ! This way i feel complete as I got the details from the silver cable and the warm plus bigger Slaaam from the RX3.

The new FW from my AK120ii has a new EQ settings "AKT5P" and it's Awesome ! Works really well for LCDs. Like I stated on AK120ii thread, it's fuller, sweeter, less forward and more low ends.

note: I am still waiting for Hugo and sys concept optical IC to arrive
gs1000.gif

you're going to be a happy happy person when your Hugo arrives ... 
wink_face.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #1,754 of 4,127

Totally agreed !

I have heard all of them and for me, I prefer a more classic Audeze sound which LCD 2 and 3 have. It is the smoothness, creaminess and yet very clean and powerful on the low ends that brings the groove out in every music. The X has less "personality" among those bunch. LCD 2.2 non fazor has a bit more Slam and creamier than the fazor one, but the latest has more open sound and more treble extensions.

The XC is the what I call "adopted" child. It sounds bold, authoritative and the cleanest of the bunch.

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #1,755 of 4,127

you're going to be a happy happy person when your Hugo arrives ... 
wink_face.gif

I am having trouble sleeping already just thinking about it.

Btw, are u the crazy guy I read somewhere who went hiking with LCD XC on ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back