Audeze LCD-X
Nov 11, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #1,066 of 12,748
  The LDC2 and 3 were heavy because they're huge planar magnetics with big magnetic arrays on either side of the diaphragm.  Audeze decided to advance their industry-leading weight by replacing the wood with an even heavier thick chunk of aluminum to secure their place at the top.

Plus the Fazors which are 4 more chunks of aluminum.

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #1,067 of 12,748
  It's a well known fact that any Headphoneus Supremus worth his salt has trained up his neck to point that they can lift a small car using just their head. Anything less is just shameful and losing face. What Matt is doing in the picture is just the basics, a warm up before the actual work out begins...

+2. Matt follows up with heavy overhead press, bench press and finally squats, right Matt 
biggrin.gif
 ?

Nov 11, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #1,068 of 12,748
Maybe it's a secret agreement with the CIA, I mean ICA (International Chiropractors Association) :)

Nov 11, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #1,069 of 12,748
don't know if you noticed the backbone strengthening group exercise demonstration at the audeze booth at 2013 canjam, pictured below

training groups are starting soon, make sure to register in time at audeze website, the course cost is well worth it

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #1,070 of 12,748
  The LDC2 and 3 were heavy because they're huge planar magnetics with big magnetic arrays on either side of the diaphragm.  Audeze decided to advance their industry-leading weight by replacing the wood with an even heavier thick chunk of aluminum to secure their place at the top.

At the top of what? Weight crown?

It's a bad move IMO. You already had a heavy hp, not for everyone albeit but many. I admit that some even found it somewhat comfortable. But I think it would be fair to say that nearly everyone would have been appreciative if the lcd2/3 had just been 100 grams lighter. Just imagine of how much more comfortable the lcd series would have been at a lighter weight, especially when wearing it for more than hour.

Of course those gentleman who own the company know that quite a few found the hp heavy. I'm quite sure that it's been talked about it at great lengths. Yet they chose to sacrifice comfort for I assume what they felt was the best sound possible. It's a gutsy move. They have a limited market because of the price bracket of these hp's in the first place. Then you take that market and divide it half (?) because of the those who find it uncomfortable to wear for more than a hour or even less.  It's a real problem and at least a questionable decision to add another 100 grams to the design. I honestly had strong hopes that new line would be somewhat lighter. 

I don't question the result of the product. I absolutely love the sound of these hp's. But there is no doubt in my mind that when these guys were sitting around the table designing the new products, one them raised the issue of adding even more weight to the design. I'd loved to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation. 

I'm sorry, I know that I ramble. I do feel that this is a legitimate concern though for many of us who really love the sound but struggle with the comfort. 

Nov 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #1,073 of 12,748
I've done my own mod to make the LCD3s slightly more comfortable by adding a Beyerdynamic Leather Headband underneath the Audeze headband.
It provides a twofold benefit; better cushioning at the top of the head and lessening of clamp force due to additional extension of the yoke rods.

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #1,075 of 12,748

At the top of what? Weight crown?

It's a bad move IMO. You already had a heavy hp, not for everyone albeit but many. I admit that some even found it somewhat comfortable. But I think it would be fair to say that nearly everyone would have been appreciative if the lcd2/3 had just been 100 grams lighter. Just imagine of how much more comfortable the lcd series would have been at a lighter weight, especially when wearing it for more than hour.

Of course those gentleman who own the company know that quite a few found the hp heavy. I'm quite sure that it's been talked about it at great lengths. Yet they chose to sacrifice comfort for I assume what they felt was the best sound possible. It's a gutsy move. They have a limited market because of the price bracket of these hp's in the first place. Then you take that market and divide it half (?) because of the those who find it uncomfortable to wear for more than a hour or even less.  It's a real problem and at least a questionable decision to add another 100 grams to the design. I honestly had strong hopes that new line would be somewhat lighter.

I don't question the result of the product. I absolutely love the sound of these hp's. But there is no doubt in my mind that when these guys were sitting around the table designing the new products, one them raised the issue of adding even more weight to the design. I'd loved to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation.

I'm sorry, I know that I ramble. I do feel that this is a legitimate concern though for many of us who really love the sound but struggle with the comfort.

For me, the headband is the main culprit.  It seems to contact my head in one small spot right on top and makes it unbearable to wear for more than about an hour at a time.  I believe if they had a design that would distribute the weight more evenly the problem would be fixed.

The LCD-X I demo'd had the vegan pads and headband which was a lot softer than my LCD-2s but I'm not sure if it would help long-term, being these were meet conditions and I wasn't going to hog them for an hour to test that out.  After switching to a pair of HD800s or TH900s it feels like a small midget jumped off my skull.  As much as I love the sound, I just can't get another audeze until they feel better.

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #1,076 of 12,748

For me, the headband is the main culprit.  It seems to contact my head in one small spot right on top and makes it unbearable to wear for more than about an hour at a time.  I believe if they had a design that would distribute the weight more evenly the problem would be fixed.

The LCD-X I demo'd had the vegan pads and headband which was a lot softer than my LCD-2s but I'm not sure if it would help long-term, being these were meet conditions and I wasn't going to hog them for an hour to test that out.  After switching to a pair of HD800s or TH900s it feels like a small midget jumped off my skull.  As much as I love the sound, I just can't get another audeze until they feel better.

I bet some sort of aftermarket headband (leather suspension straps maybe? Kinda like the STAXs) specifically for Audeze cans would sell like hotcakes.

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #1,078 of 12,748
  I bet some sort of aftermarket headband (leather suspension straps maybe? Kinda like the STAXs) specifically for Audeze cans would sell like hotcakes.

I recently did a little mod where you buy a Sennheiser HD650 headband pad ($7 or so) and double sided tape it to the headband of the Denon D7000. It made them even more comfortable than they already were and removed the pressure on the top of the head (since it has the gap right at the top of the head). I'm wondering if this could work with an Audeze headphone (probably with the gimbal extension). It looks quite good, especially on a black headband and is very easily reversible.

If I end up with an Audeze headphone soon (I'm trying!), I'm most likely going to try it.

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #1,079 of 12,748

I recently did a little mod where you buy a Sennheiser HD650 headband pad ($7 or so) and double sided tape it to the headband of the Denon D7000. It made them even more comfortable than they already were and removed the pressure on the top of the head (since it has the gap right at the top of the head). I'm wondering if this could work with an Audeze headphone (probably with the gimbal extension). It looks quite good, especially on a black headband and is very easily reversible.

If I end up with an Audeze headphone soon (I'm trying!), I'm most likely going to try it.

That could marginally spread out the downward pressure of the headband yes.

But a suspension strap of flexible leather would be infinitely better in this specific function, of evenly spreading out pressure over a large area of the scalp.

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #1,080 of 12,748
  That could marginally spread out the downward pressure of the headband yes.

But a suspension strap of flexible leather would be infinitely better in this specific function, of evenly spreading out pressure over a large area of the scalp.

I know, but the pad is an already available option that's cheap and non-invasive. A suspension strap mod would be nice if someone figures out the specifics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back