Audeze LCD-X
Nov 9, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #991 of 12,748
  I'm a bit surprised that more isn't being made of the X's ability to be driven from DAPs and phones...people went apeschiit when the HE-400s were found to be more efficient than the typical planar phone, but now Audeze has taken it to a whole new level. I'm stoked that I'll be able to take a high end planar on the road with me and not have to worry about needing some powerful desktop amp to lug along with it. 

I would have thought people would be a bit more excited about this. 

It's rather double-edged sword. Even though LCD-X is super efficient, the sheer weight and clunky design make the headphones just downright not portable by any means.
It is actually weakness at this price range because there are a lot of people who have tube amps and amps with high impedance output, and LCD-X won't play nicely with those expensive stuffs.

I think my crappy Bravo V2 tube amp won't like LCD-X, but my beta and A2 will hopefully like it.

I'm a bit surprised that more isn't being made of the X's ability to be driven from DAPs and phones...people went apeschiit when the HE-400s were found to be more efficient than the typical planar phone, but now Audeze has taken it to a whole new level. I'm stoked that I'll be able to take a high end planar on the road with me and not have to worry about needing some powerful desktop amp to lug along with it. 

I would have thought people would be a bit more excited about this. 

good point, totally forgot about that in my calculus

Finally had a chance to listen TH-900, and deeply disappointed. I guess there is a limit on how closed headphones can go....

I guess I will be grabbing LCD-X tomorrow instead. Could had re-order from Drew but I am rather impatient now.

did you try the xc?

Quote: from audeze xc page
 For the purest, most discerning audiophile listening sessions, open headphones remain the favored choice, but our closed-back LCD-XC is the best enclosed headphone experience you’ll find.

Well, it is not like I was especially looking for XC. And as I hear, XC is actually a downgrade from LCD-X in terms of sound quality....

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #992 of 12,748
  Very interesting stuff, MH / Peter.  Thanks for the highly detailed info...the science related to our hobby of trying to obtain the most beautiful music coming through headphones!
I have noticed while listening to the LCD-X for about 10-days now that I can change the sound quite a bit depending on the position of the headphones on my head.  The treble changes from bright to "less" bright by moving the headband backward.  Seems to align with some of the comments in your repeatability/reproducibility article.

All the Best -
RCB

I'll have to play with positioning more. I've found my sweet spot and typically just go to it. I'll play around with it a bit more. Thanks!

@ MacedonianHero

How good is LCD-x paired with GSX-MKII?  Thanks.

Simply outstanding (just like the LCD-3s and HD-800s). 

The LCD3s pair extremely well with iPod>CLAS-dB>iQubeV2.
Better than RSA71B

I've always felt I was leaving cards on the table with portable amps and the LCD-3s (i.e. less than 2W). They can sound pretty good out of some portable amps though, but the biggest difference is that LCD-Xs sound fantastic out of even my lowly FiiO Kilamanjaro amp (something my LCD-3s certainly do not).

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #994 of 12,748
So I haven't seen much about the weight. I understand the weight is significantly heavier than both the LCD-2/3, is that weight noticeable to those that have worn both for say an hour? The weight is pretty much the only thing that is keeping me from buying. The LCD-3 is about my limit in terms of pressure on top of my head. If the weight is noticeably heavier, I'm going to have to pass.

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #995 of 12,748
So I haven't seen much about the weight. I understand the weight is significantly heavier than both the LCD-2/3 is that weight noticeable to those that have worn both for say an hour? The weight is pretty much the only thing that is keeping me from buying. The LCD-3 is about my limit in terms of pressure on top of my head. If the weight is noticeably heavier, I'm going to have to pass.

Just to clarify, the LCD-Xs are a bit heavier (600g vs 548g...a whopping 52g...so not very much) and as I've mentioned on my head, I can't tell which pair I've got on unless I look in the mirror.

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #997 of 12,748
  I notice the head placement stuff even with my LCD-2 depending on how far upward or downward the earcup is relative to my eardrum. Not sure if placebo or not in my case?

Quote:
  Finally had a chance to listen TH-900, and deeply disappointed. I guess there is a limit on how closed headphones can go....

I guess I will be grabbing LCD-X tomorrow instead. Could had re-order from Drew but I am rather impatient now.

Why was that?

Mind you considering you say on your profile that you listen to Classical, Rock and Metal - yeah I'd understand people preferring other headphones over the th900 in that case. They are still a top level performer for Electronic.

Too bassy for my ears. Granted it is not as bassy as PS1000 or D5000 but still too bassy. Now it wouldn't be problematic if that bass does not cover mid too much... alas mid is also recessed as well, making the situation worse.

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #998 of 12,748
  I'll have to play with positioning more. I've found my sweet spot and typically just go to it. I'll play around with it a bit more. Thanks!

Simply outstanding (just like the LCD-3s and HD-800s). 

I've always felt I was leaving cards on the table with portable amps and the LCD-3s (i.e. less than 2W). They can sound pretty good out of some portable amps though, but the LCD-Xs sound fantastic out of even my lowly FiiO Kilamanjaro amp.

I'm hoping the XCs also sound great with either of my two portables.
That's the only reason I've ordered the closed Audeze cans; needed a true reference portable rig for travelling.
Very excited now! 

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #999 of 12,748

It's rather double-edged sword. Even though LCD-X is super efficient, the sheer weight and clunky design make the headphones just downright not portable by any means.
It is actually weakness at this price range because there are a lot of people who have tube amps and amps with high impedance output, and LCD-X won't play nicely with those expensive stuffs.

I'm one of the weirdos who isn't bothered by the weight at all...I had the LCD-2s here for almost a month and I could wear them for hours on end with no issues. I fell in love with the pads...they aren't T1 comfortable, but comfort wasn't a negative for me at all. I know others find it an issue, so thankfully it didn't bother me. 

I'm usually a tube guy, but I really have taken a liking to the Meier amps...my Meier Classic and Daccord really paired nicely with the LCD-2s, so hoping the same holds true of either the 3s or the Xs, whichever I go with. I'm thinking it'll probably be the X in black, but I will likely change my mind a few more times. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #1,000 of 12,748
A few quick comments on some of the recent posts:

Portable amps:  I have been using the X with an Apex Glacier. Sounds very good.
vs. HD800:  I have never owned Audeze before. I have the HD800 in my reference system. I have done some A/B testing. If forced to have just one, I would choose the HD800. Wider and deeper soundstage. Better imaging and separation. Greater clarity. More transparent. And a whole lot more comfortable. X does have better bass, especially in the slam department. This is how I view the two. The HD800 is like a beautiful sunrise:  expanding light, increasing clarity, a sense of excitement for what the day might bring. The X is like a beautiful sunset: A little cozier, getting darker, a touch of romance in the air.

I am really  liking the X as a second phone for use in a portable/transportable system, except for ...

Comfort:  Perhaps the HD800 has spoiled me. But the X is relatively heavy and I get a sore spot on the top of my head after extemded use. (BTW, I had the HE-500 before, and the X is MUCH more comfortable than that phone.) The issue is causing me anxiety because in all other respects (sound quality, fit and finish, ruggedness, pride of ownership, etc.) I really like the X. If the comfort issue persists, I might have to consider the new AKG 812, the new Oppo model, or something else as the second system headphone.

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #1,002 of 12,748
  But the X is relatively heavy and I get a sore spot on the top of my head after extemded use.

This is something that maybe you guys can explain, cause I don't get it at all. When I had the LCD-2s, the clamp was enough that they were snug to my head and I could move them up and down as little or as much as I wanted. If someone came into the room to talk to me, Id just move them up a bit so that my ears were exposed and I could hear...but the phones still remained snug. There was never any downward force at all. How are you getting so much pressure that you're getting a sore spot? I can't get my brain around this. 

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #1,003 of 12,748
Me neither, I've never had any fit issues ever with Hifimans or Audezes both owned and auditioned. I never had any pressure problems on my head nor weight issues for the neck. I've used LCD2.2's for up to 6-7 hours without a break.

But it must be said, my hair is fairly thick and usually I keep it fairly long.

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #1,004 of 12,748

This is something that maybe you guys can explain, cause I don't get it at all. When I had the LCD-2s, the clamp was enough that they were snug to my head and I could move them up and down as little or as much as I wanted. If someone came into the room to talk to me, Id just move them up a bit so that my ears were exposed and I could hear...but the phones still remained snug. There was never any downward force at all. How are you getting so much pressure that you're getting a sore spot? I can't get my brain around this. 

I gather it is a function of head size. To snuggly fit on my head (which must be small or narrow), I have to use the slots near the short end of the clamp. This brings the bar down to my scalp. If I slot the clamp to provide more room, the weight of the headphone brings the whole down and the clamp bar still hits my scalp. So no matter how tightly or loosely I set the clamp, I still get hit with the bar. I hope this makes sense. I just might not have the right head for this particular headphone.

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #1,005 of 12,748
Quote:SHHZADA123

Just to throw in my two cents, the HE-6s where always a rung down from the HD800s as "brighter" sounding headphones go. I've owned both for at least a year, but I still own the HD800s. 
wink.gif

I think you meant a few rungs up 
wink_face.gif

I would say half a rung down, but, as always, YMMV, and it always does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back