Audeze LCD-X
Sep 20, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #12,571 of 12,748
I wholeheartedly agree with you on the stock pads. My LCD-X, despite also owing a LCD-5 and all the Zmfs are still my daily drivers due to its serious yet fun tuning. I usually play games with it but lately ive been getting some grill marks on the outside of my ears from the fazors. I hope I made the right call by ordering the fenestrated sheepskin pads (before youre response was posted). If not, then i ll just chalk up a loss and order the elite sheepskin ones. I am a little sensitive with harsh/peaky treble and i had that issue with the 2019 LCD-X. Fingers crosses.

Thank you for your help.
Audeze used to provide little crescent shaped felt ‘shims’ you could place under the pad (from the inside) in order to alleviate this issue. I use one on each side and it completely alleviates the ear touching fazors grill mark situation for me. They came 4 in a pack, so potentially you could put two on each side. If this is still an issue for you, maybe contact Audeze customer service and ask if they still have them.

C6129010-69CC-4877-B561-5E18CAB36ACB.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #12,572 of 12,748
Audeze used to provide little crescent shaped felt ‘shims’ you could place under the pad (from the inside) in order to alleviate this issue. I use one on each side and it completely alleviates the ear touching fazors grill mark situation for me. They came 4 in a pack, so potentially you could put two on each side. If this is still an issue for you, maybe contact Audeze customer service and ask if they still have them.

Does not work on newer pads. Anyone with issues on ears touching the fazors will need to seek out alternative 3rd party earpads. We, unfortunately can't account for all ear shapes and sizes, and have found these pads to be our best sounding yet.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 21, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #12,573 of 12,748
Does not work on newer pads. Anyone with issues on ears touching the fazors will need to seek out alternative 3rd party earpads. We, unfortunately can't account for all ear shapes and sizes, and have found these pads to be our best sounding yet.
Mine are December 2021, and the shims work just fine (the shims came with a set of pads I bought for a different pair of headphones a few years ago, but they were still the new style pads, without the pleather ring around the bottom). Maybe I'm delusional - it's happened before. Or is there yet another still newer pad that we are talking about here? And, if that's the case, how can I tell which version of the pads are on my headphones (as I MUST have the latest and the greatest ;0))?

Thanks!!

Sep 22, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #12,574 of 12,748
With respect, not certain what you are doing, but those half moons are supposed to go next to the drivers on the side of the fazors (before even putting on the pads), and are there to reduce resonances not add space for your ears. Whatever you're doing would not be that, and we can't account for any sound inconsistencies, etc.

We do not provide any spacers for new pads.

Here's a video showing the spacers we DID provide for old pads.

Last edited:

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 27, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #12,575 of 12,748
With respect, not certain what you are doing, but those half moons are supposed to go next to the drivers on the side of the fazors (before even putting on the pads), and are there to reduce resonances not add space for your ears. Whatever you're doing would not be that, and we can't account for any sound inconsistencies, etc.

We do not provide any spacers for new pads.

Here's a video showing the spacers we DID provide for old pads.

Actually that’s exactly what I’m going. Whatever you think they do or don’t do, they fit right into the pocket formed between the fazor and the underside of the installed pad before the glue starts. They can slide in - glue not necessary. Anyway, they work and sound great, and I got them from Audeze with my pads (no instructions), so not sure of your point - without instructions, I was left to my own creativity and came up with something that works for me. Is there an instructional video you could attach for those? Anything that talks about damping? Never saw the other things that are in your video, but I’d have to agree there’s not likely enough room for those under the newer style pads. On the other hand there’s plenty of room to slide in the felt crescents. Indeed, now that you’ve revealed that they were for damping, I dlid them under the front part of the pads as well, and the headphones have never sounded smoother, tighter or more liquid. You should provide them with every pair of LCD-X!

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #12,576 of 12,748
Actually that’s exactly what I’m going. Whatever you think they do or don’t do, they fit right into the pocket formed between the fazor and the underside of the installed pad before the glue starts. They can slide in - glue not necessary. Anyway, they work and sound great, and I got them from Audeze with my pads (no instructions), so not sure of your point - without instructions, I was left to my own creativity and came up with something that works for me. Is there an instructional video you could attach for those? Anything that talks about damping? Never saw the other things that are in your video, but I’d have to agree there’s not likely enough room for those under the newer style pads. On the other hand there’s plenty of room to slide in the felt crescents. Indeed, now that you’ve revealed that they were for damping, I dlid them under the front part of the pads as well, and the headphones have never sounded smoother, tighter or more liquid. You should provide them with every pair of LCD-X!

Thanks!!

The question for @Audeze though, are these felt pads installed in stock configuration, I honestly don't remember seeing them when replacing pads on LCD-X 2021, or did I :thinking: ?

EDIT: Oh, yeah, there are definitely there, just peeked under the pad.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #12,577 of 12,748
WE added half moon felt on the sides of the drivers, and is mainly there to reduce resonances, though it's subtle and you're fine without them.

C|H|D

^Think of the C and D as the half moons, and the H as the driver array. That's how it would look with the pad removed. The half moons are adhered directly on the driver surface.

Last edited:

Sep 28, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #12,578 of 12,748
WE added half moon felt on the sides of the drivers, and is mainly there to reduce resonances, though it's subtle and you're fine without them.

C|H|D

^Think of the C and D as the half moons, and the H as the driver array. That's how it would look with the pad removed. The half moons are adhered directly on the driver surface.
I understand, and by sheer luck, that is how I inserted them. Like I said, they came with the new pads when I ordered them, and I just improvised, thinking that they were the shims which I had read about. I stand corrected. Thanks.

Nov 16, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #12,579 of 12,748
Anyone else suffer from strange eardrum pressure when using these cans? I’ve listened to a few different models before, and a couple different Xs, and the ones I just got from the B-stock sale are one of the few that are giving me this issue. I actually wake up with “sore” feeling eardrums (if that makes sense) the next morning after listening to them in the evening.

I’m really bummed as I love the sound signature of these, but afraid continued use won’t be good for my hearing. FWIW I do place these on my head and remove them slowly.

Nov 20, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #12,580 of 12,748
Anyone else suffer from strange eardrum pressure when using these cans? I’ve listened to a few different models before, and a couple different Xs, and the ones I just got from the B-stock sale are one of the few that are giving me this issue. I actually wake up with “sore” feeling eardrums (if that makes sense) the next morning after listening to them in the evening.

I’m really bummed as I love the sound signature of these, but afraid continued use won’t be good for my hearing. FWIW I do place these on my head and remove them slowly.
Interesting... I believe the same happens to me as well though until now I never made the connection with the headphones.

Nov 20, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #12,581 of 12,748

You can get rid of this issue by installing Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads.

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #12,582 of 12,748

Do you feel anything while wearing them? And how would you describe the feeling/sensation?

Nov 21, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #12,583 of 12,748
You can get rid of this issue by installing Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads.
I contacted Audeze support and they recommended using the valsalva maneuver after slowly putting the cups over my ears. This does help, and they also said most people‘s ears adjust to this sensation after a few days, which mine seemed to have done. I also figured that audio engineers/music production folks have been using Audeze cans for years, and if this “super seal” effect caused any hearing issues, they would’ve fallen out of favor long ago.

Nov 23, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #12,584 of 12,748
I've used the LCD-X A LOT. For listening and production.

The only time I have noticed a pressure type of sensation is when they are underpowered or when running a bass boost shelf over or around 5db on a bass heavy song, which is something I avoid. I run a 2db boost which makes it somewhat neutral.

A wimpy headphone output on an interface or a dongle makes the low notes have a strange distortion that feels like a weird pressure wave instead of sound and it is quite fatiguing. I would say definitely do not plug these into a phone or dongle.

Other than that, I have never noticed any pressure issue or irritation to my hearing.

Hope that helps.

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #12,585 of 12,748
It should be noted that older pads (pre-late 2020) the pads were a lot more 'sealed' which would cause that airplane cabin pressure feeling for some people (myself included). That pressure was considerably reduced with our newer pads, and this is the first time I've heard in awhile of anyone having issues with that pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back