Audeze LCD-X
Nov 23, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #12,586 of 12,748
It should be noted that older pads (pre-late 2020) the pads were a lot more 'sealed' which would cause that airplane cabin pressure feeling for some people (myself included). That pressure was considerably reduced with our newer pads, and this is the first time I've heard in awhile of anyone having issues with that pressure.
I’m actually the guy who recently bugged you in an email about it :). I have a 2021 from the B stock sale, but your tips about putting it on slowly plus the Valsalva maneuver really helped, and I think my ears have adapted.

Absolutely loving these now. I might fiddle with EQ for fun but the stock sound signature is [chef’s kiss].

Nov 26, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #12,587 of 12,748
Has anyone bought the LCD-X recently from hifiheadphones in the UK? Did you get the 2021 version? I ordered but only later realised it doesn't say 2021 in the listing and the spec sections has 635g instead of the official 612g, so now I'm a bit worried I'll get an old version and have to return it. Are all authorised dealers now selling the latest version?

Nov 28, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #12,588 of 12,748
Has anyone bought the LCD-X recently from hifiheadphones in the UK? Did you get the 2021 version? I ordered but only later realised it doesn't say 2021 in the listing and the spec sections has 635g instead of the official 612g, so now I'm a bit worried I'll get an old version and have to return it. Are all authorised dealers now selling the latest version?
They're not going to say 2021 on it.

Just run your finger on the surface of the inside of the driver. If you feel 6 sharp horizontal bars, thatr's a 2021+ version. If you feel more, it's an older LCD-X.

Note that hifiheadphones and most of our general dealers (outside of some minor countries) do periodically refresh their stock, so it's HIGHLY doubtful they have older stock. You can also send us an email at support@audeze.com and give us the serial number, we'll let you know how old it is.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 28, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #12,589 of 12,748
They're not going to say 2021 on it.

Just run your finger on the surface of the inside of the driver. If you feel 6 sharp horizontal bars, thatr's a 2021+ version. If you feel more, it's an older LCD-X.

Note that hifiheadphones and most of our general dealers do periodically refresah their stock, so it's HIGHLY doubful they have older stock. You can also send us an email at support@audeze.com and give us the serial number, we'll let you know how old it is.
Thanks. I chatted with them and they confirmed it is the latest version. They mentioned they got new units very recently as well.

Dec 1, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #12,590 of 12,748
Hey guys,

I have a 2014 bamboo lcd 2 with brown vegan hesdband and just got a he6se v2. I like the mid centric smoothness of the 2 (vocals sound great on it), but the he6 has better detail, and more bass. Wondering if I should sell both and get an audeze lcd x leather free. Anyone have all 3 headphones to compare?

Note that I EQ and consider myself an audiophile bass head. Running from smsl do/ho200 stack and Monolith liquid platinum stack.

Dec 1, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #12,591 of 12,748

For future reference, and others who have concerns: serial numbers higher than 7527600 (leather) and 7527615 (leather-free) are the 2021/latest edition.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #12,592 of 12,748
So my new LCD-Xs arrived recently but both pads were falling off straight out the box. I stuck them back on but same issue the next day, the pads start to detach when not used.

The seller offered to send me some adhesive rings, which I agreed could work. I'll have to remove the pads and presumably stick the additional layer of adhesive on but should it go on the pad or the plate? Will this really work?

Dec 1, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #12,593 of 12,748
So my new LCD-Xs arrived recently but both pads were falling off straight out the box. I stuck them back on but same issue the next day, the pads start to detach when not used.

The seller offered to send me some adhesive rings, which I agreed could work. I'll have to remove the pads and presumably stick the additional layer of adhesive on but should it go on the pad or the plate? Will this really work?
We had a period where unnaturally high heat conditions compromised some of the adhesive during storage. However, the new adhesive rings should absolutely fix this issue.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 1, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #12,594 of 12,748

My B-stock set came with one pad misaligned by about 1cm and the pad was peeling off as well. I emailed support and they sent me the adhesive rings.

I used a credit card to scrape the old adhesive off of the cup/plate, and really wasn’t able to get any of the old adhesive off the earpad. I adhered the ring to the cup and then put the pad on top and somewhat firmly pressed the pad down all along its circumference. It has worked great and is now as secure as the other pad.

Dec 1, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #12,596 of 12,748
My B-stock set came with one pad misaligned by about 1cm and the pad was peeling off as well. I emailed support and they sent me the adhesive rings.

I used a credit card to scrape the old adhesive off of the cup/plate, and really wasn’t able to get any of the old adhesive off the earpad. I adhered the ring to the cup and then put the pad on top and somewhat firmly pressed the pad down all along its circumference. It has worked great and is now as secure as the other pad.
Thanks, I'll do the same then - adhesive to the cup and then pad placed back on.

Dec 1, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #12,597 of 12,748
This is our standard reply on adhesive removal.

For starters, we recommend you watch our instructional video on how to change LCD earpads here.

You don't need to remove all the old adhesive for the new PSA rings to work, but you'll need to remove any base layers from the old earpads before the adhesive will stick. There are a few ways to do this, depending on your comfort with the various tools, how old the previous adhesive is, etc. Use caution and work within your comfort zone to prevent any damage and/or injury, which Audeze cannot be held responsible for. The methods below are for guidance only, and any actions taken are done so at your own risk.

Before you begin removal of the old adhesive, be sure to cover the opening to the diaphragm with a bit of paper and some low-tack tape to prevent any damage to the diaphragm itself.

Here are three methods we've found to work in most cases, from simplest to most effective:

1. If you apply some masking tape to the old earpad material, then burnish it firmly using a small tool like a tongue depressor, popsicle stick, etc, the tape will sometimes peel the old material off when removed. Be careful not to adhere the tape to the wood rings or any other delicately finished surface.

2. Remaining layers can often be scraped off with a slim non-magnetic implement. WARNING: Using metal near the drivers can easily cause damage to them which would not be covered by warranty since they may be attracted to the very powerful magnets.

3. If you're comfortable with naphtha (AKA mineral spirits, paint thinner or lighter fluid), you can dab a small amount on the old adhesive with a cotton swab that's been dipped in naphtha and let it soak in for a few minutes. You want to moisten it enough so the naphtha can dissolve the adhesive, but not so much that it runs off to damage other parts. Once the naphtha has been in contact for a little while, you can often peel the residue off, then wipe clean with a dry cloth. Let the naphtha evaporate completely before installing the new earpads. WARNING: Naphtha is highly flammable and fairly toxic, so be careful not to breathe the fumes or work near any sources of ignition. Use in a well-ventilated area and follow the warnings on the label.

If you're not comfortable at any point, please stop and let us know so we can assist before any damage or injury occurs.

Dec 1, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #12,598 of 12,748
This is our standard reply on adhesive removal.

For starters, we recommend you watch our instructional video on how to change LCD earpads here.

You don't need to remove all the old adhesive for the new PSA rings to work, but you'll need to remove any base layers from the old earpads before the adhesive will stick. There are a few ways to do this, depending on your comfort with the various tools, how old the previous adhesive is, etc. Use caution and work within your comfort zone to prevent any damage and/or injury, which Audeze cannot be held responsible for. The methods below are for guidance only, and any actions taken are done so at your own risk.

Before you begin removal of the old adhesive, be sure to cover the opening to the diaphragm with a bit of paper and some low-tack tape to prevent any damage to the diaphragm itself.

Here are three methods we've found to work in most cases, from simplest to most effective:

1. If you apply some masking tape to the old earpad material, then burnish it firmly using a small tool like a tongue depressor, popsicle stick, etc, the tape will sometimes peel the old material off when removed. Be careful not to adhere the tape to the wood rings or any other delicately finished surface.

2. Remaining layers can often be scraped off with a slim non-magnetic implement. WARNING: Using metal near the drivers can easily cause damage to them which would not be covered by warranty since they may be attracted to the very powerful magnets.

3. If you're comfortable with naphtha (AKA mineral spirits, paint thinner or lighter fluid), you can dab a small amount on the old adhesive with a cotton swab that's been dipped in naphtha and let it soak in for a few minutes. You want to moisten it enough so the naphtha can dissolve the adhesive, but not so much that it runs off to damage other parts. Once the naphtha has been in contact for a little while, you can often peel the residue off, then wipe clean with a dry cloth. Let the naphtha evaporate completely before installing the new earpads. WARNING: Naphtha is highly flammable and fairly toxic, so be careful not to breathe the fumes or work near any sources of ignition. Use in a well-ventilated area and follow the warnings on the label.

If you're not comfortable at any point, please stop and let us know so we can assist before any damage or injury occurs.
Ok this is a bit concerning and frankly I'm not sure I feel that comfortable with it now.

My LCD-X are brand new and this is how the pads looked.

IMG20221129092726.jpg

Dec 4, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #12,600 of 12,748
Please send us an email at support@audeze.com and we'll happily assist you.
I returned them to the retailer to sort out (they offered a repair rather than replacement, so I've got to wait for that and hopefully it will be a quick turnaround).

Though I have to say that it is disappointing that I won't be able to use them for a while after saving for months to buy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back