Audeze LCD-X
Nov 15, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #11,596 of 12,748
I'm torn between the LCD-2 (not Classic) and the LCD-X. I have the HD800S so I want a headphone to offset them with some hefty bass. Any pointers would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #11,598 of 12,748
I'm torn between the LCD-2 (not Classic) and the LCD-X. I have the HD800S so I want a headphone to offset them with some hefty bass. Any pointers would be appreciated!

I bought my LCD-X in 2017 so what I write is from my memory of reading a lot of comparisons and reviews on the LCD-X.

I remember reading a lot of comparisons between the LCD-2,LCD-3,LCD-X and some comparisons to the HD800.

In terms of tonality, I think you should feel the bass of the LCD-2 more.

However in terms of performance - The LCD-X should be vastly superior to the LCD-2 and better than the HD800.

The LCD-2 are considered to be the entry level to the LCD lineup, While the LCD-X is at the LCD-3 level of performance.

The LCD-2 should sound a lot darker than the LCD-X and is the complete opposite of the HD800 - The LCD-2 is a lot darker, has a smaller soundstage and a more hefty and heavy sound than both the LCD-X and the HD800.

The LCD-X is kind of in between them, Offering you a more neutral sound signature than both the LCD-2 and the HD800.

You get better bass than the LCD-2 (although in lesser quantity), more detail retrieval than the LCD-2.

The soundstage is smaller than the HD800 but the imaging can even be better and more precise than the HD800.

The LCD-X is a jack of all trades - giving you solid performance in every genre of music.

Nov 15, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #11,599 of 12,748
I bought my LCD-X in 2017 so what I write is from my memory of reading a lot of comparisons and reviews on the LCD-X.

I remember reading a lot of comparisons between the LCD-2,LCD-3,LCD-X and some comparisons to the HD800.

In terms of tonality, I think you should feel the bass of the LCD-2 more.

However in terms of performance - The LCD-X should be vastly superior to the LCD-2 and better than the HD800.

The LCD-2 are considered to be the entry level to the LCD lineup, While the LCD-X is at the LCD-3 level of performance.

The LCD-2 should sound a lot darker than the LCD-X and is the complete opposite of the HD800 - The LCD-2 is a lot darker, has a smaller soundstage and a more hefty and heavy sound than both the LCD-X and the HD800.

The LCD-X is kind of in between them, Offering you a more neutral sound signature than both the LCD-2 and the HD800.

You get better bass than the LCD-2 (although in lesser quantity), more detail retrieval than the LCD-2.

The soundstage is smaller than the HD800 but the imaging can even be better and more precise than the HD800.

The LCD-X is a jack of all trades - giving you solid performance in every genre of music.

I have the LCD-2F and LCD-X on my desk right now and listen to both frequently. So, let me add a bit here...

The X is superior to the 2 in just about every technical aspect. In particular, what stands out to me is how the X is able to deliver quite a bit more physical impact to the sound, especially bass, making the 2F sound relatively soft and less dynamic. The X also out-resolves the 2F, digs deeper into bass, and better treble clarity and presence. The X has better bass given that advantage in impact, extension, and detail, though the 2F sounds slightly warmer.

That said, the difference in sound signature is not a large as you might imagine. Both are about the same level of neutral, which is only kinda neutral. They both excel in bass and driver speed, and falter compared to similarly priced headphones in treble and tonality. The X gets a bit shoutier. Neither has especially wide soundstage for an openback, but positional cues and imaging are still excellent. The X more so.

For pure tonality, I'd take the 2F over the X, but not by much. For pure technical performance, I'd take the X over the 2F, but mostly because of impact and resolution and by a greater margin than for tonality.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #11,600 of 12,748
IMG_1510.jpeg

:L3000::L3000::beerchug:

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #11,601 of 12,748
Looking at measurement graphs. LCD 2 and X is quite similiar except 3-4k region which is extremely dipped in LCD X. LCD 2 has warm Audeze sound. Close to neutral but has it's own character/flavour. LCD X is more like flawed product. Measurement results are not healthy. However think LCD X better deal at $1200 if you can EQ. It's good deal overall. LCD 2 is a bit expensive but has more agreeable tonality out of the box and comes with really good travel case.

Other differences:
LCD X is very sensitive. This is actually a good thing but headphone amplifiers are too strong for this and you may even hear noise floor.
LCD X is heavy.
LCD 2 wood looks good but may crack down the line.

I think $1000 vs $1200 makes LCD X better choice. LCD 2 should be $800, LCD 2C should be $600 in this market but Audeze have no rush.

Nov 22, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #11,602 of 12,748
Looking at measurement graphs. LCD 2 and X is quite similiar except 3-4k region which is extremely dipped in LCD X. LCD 2 has warm Audeze sound. Close to neutral but has it's own character/flavour. LCD X is more like flawed product. Measurement results are not healthy. However think LCD X better deal at $1200 if you can EQ. It's good deal overall. LCD 2 is a bit expensive but has more agreeable tonality out of the box and comes with really good travel case.

Other differences:
LCD X is very sensitive. This is actually a good thing but headphone amplifiers are too strong for this and you may even hear noise floor.
LCD X is heavy.
LCD 2 wood looks good but may crack down the line.

I think $1000 vs $1200 makes LCD X better choice. LCD 2 should be $800, LCD 2C should be $600 in this market but Audeze have no rush.
I wouldn't call the LCD-X 'flawed product'. LCD2 has a warmer and smoother tonality but it comes at a price of loosing clarity and dynamism versus the LCD-X. The bass on the X is cleaner, better extended, punchier and more dynamic. While the LCD2 bass is already good, the LCDX sharpens the picture and adds energy to those bass notes to come across as sharp dynamic punches instead of still quite satisfying but softer and more rolled off bass 'pumping'. The LCDX is also more spacious with more accurate and cleaner imaging. Technically speaking the LCDX is the next step from the LCD2. When it comes to tonality, that is a matter of personal preference.
With some luck it is not impossible to get a great deal on a few months old almost new LCDX for less than the new retail price of the LCD2.

Nov 22, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #11,603 of 12,748
Looking at measurement graphs. LCD 2 and X is quite similiar except 3-4k region which is extremely dipped in LCD X. LCD 2 has warm Audeze sound. Close to neutral but has it's own character/flavour. LCD X is more like flawed product. Measurement results are not healthy. However think LCD X better deal at $1200 if you can EQ. It's good deal overall..

I am always surprised how much some people decide in advance about the filled personal sound on the ear via measurement protocols / laboratory values.
Ok ... 20..30 years ago I also thought that measurements and test results from trade magazines were the deciding factor for a purchase :see_no_evil:

.... I flushed a lot of money down the toilet, the crap were bad purchases and I was unhappy with the sound. Today I go to the dealer I trust and invest time to listen ... and have fun talking :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #11,604 of 12,748
Hey guys,

I been floating around this thread for a while and have heard great things about Audeze's discontinued micro-suede pads. Since they can't be purchased anymore, I've been thinking about either picking up a pair of ZMF Eikon suedes or the Dekoni choice suede, but I can't find much information on them. Does anyone have these on their LCD-X and can provide some sound impressions?

Reporting back with the Dekoni choice suede pads freshly installed on my LCD-X. Initial impressions are very positive. The LCD-X with the choice suede, to my ear, sound very similar to the stock pads with Reveal+. They have add very slight warmth to the sound. Subbass does seem to be a little rolled off however. Overall, I'm quite happy with the change so far.

Nov 23, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #11,605 of 12,748
Reporting back with the Dekoni choice suede pads freshly installed on my LCD-X. Initial impressions are very positive. The LCD-X with the choice suede, to my ear, sound very similar to the stock pads with Reveal+. They have add very slight warmth to the sound. Subbass does seem to be a little rolled off however. Overall, I'm quite happy with the change so far.
Do they make the treble hotter ? I found treble too hot on my XCs so effectively changed them to Xs to take that treble down a notch.

Nov 27, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #11,608 of 12,748
Hi, I'm planning to buy a used LCD X. How is durability in this headphone?

Because I asked to the dealer , the repair cost is about $750 and that's very expensive to me.

You'll have driver issues long before any mechanical failure. Audeze's headphones are built like tanks. The drivers on the other hand are a mixed bag, although according to Audeze, driver failure is still a pretty rare occurrence.

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #11,609 of 12,748
I just bought an LCD-X without fazors. I thought fazors were standard on the LCD-X. From listening to them, they have the same sound signature going from memory of the last set of LCD X I owned. Instead of wood it's aluminum cups and smooth surface in the cups. Anybody else have experience with these?

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #11,610 of 12,748
I just bought an LCD-X without fazors. I thought fazors were standard on the LCD-X. From listening to them, they have the same sound signature going from memory of the last set of LCD X I owned. Instead of wood it's aluminum cups and smooth surface in the cups. Anybody else have experience with these?
Photos...got to see this...!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back